Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009
    I cannot add my new movie because the original title is in Czech and I cannot chose czech language
    Can someone please add this language?

• CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2009
    Has this been done?
    I soon would like to post a new one and need Czech to be added
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    As long as there's no Czech flag you could just put an English flag and enter the official title there. When there will be a Czech flag it can be edited.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    ok, will do!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMimimi
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2012
    Imo every movie should have (have a right to) their own flag, so please add more movie language options, like: Belgian, Austrian, Swiss, etc.
    And if it's not to much trouble, could that be in alphabetical order. ;)

Would be great!
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Remember that the flag represents the LANGUAGE, not the country. Also, the languages are in alphabetical order, with the exception of the big 5 (the major languages that always show, without having to click "Show All").
    •  
      CommentAuthorMimimi
    OMG now I feel stupid, I always thought flag is for country, but it is 'language' flag ... learning every day! :)
    And already in alphabetical order too.

Maybe I should rest a little. LOL

Thanks Asmodai.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMimimi
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2012 edited
    Hmm, but why is it language flag and not country flag?
    It's a little confusion in the movie info.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2012
    Because the flags show in which languages you can fill in the title to solve the shots. You can imagine how messy it would be if we'd have to type out "Swedish, spanish, greek, dutch, english" etc., with flags you can show it much easier.
    • CommentAuthorWiZo
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2012
    Does the flag represent the language of the title OR the country where the title comes from?

for example
    the movie "Bend it like Beckham" http://whatthemovie.com/movie/bend_it_like_beckham/info

the original title is english and the movie comes from great britain
    the german title is "Kick it like Beckham"...it's an english title of course...but its used in germany...
    as i understood it i would use the German-Flag for this title (like the person who added the titles in my sample)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2012
    I would add this with the British flag, but there are no set guidelines for this (yet..)
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2012 edited
    I would use the German flag. I think the flags should stand for the language used in the country where the title comes from.
    1. I think it makes more sense, IMO. Because, to me, the whole purpose of those flags is to let users know what language they can use to guess the movie. And when you see a French flag, you expect the French title will work, even if this French title is actually using the English language.
    2. For some movies, the original language is used in different countries for alternate titles, then the lack of flags would make it too much of an hint.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMimimi
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2012
    That's not what I meant Asmodai.

Take the movie "Bend it like Beckham" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286499/

This is what I do when adding a new movie:
    As "Original Title" I use Country (first in line) = UK (not in the list, what a pity, then I use English)
    But we have to use English for USA and England and Ireland and Scotland, etc.
    Same with the Dutch flag we have use it for Dutch movies and for Belgium movies. :-/ ????
    As "Alternative title" I fill in all the AKAs

Language: English | Punjabi | Hindi | German (NOT NEEDED for WTM)

Also Known As (AKA)
    Joue-la comme Beckham Canada (French title) / France
    Jugando con el destino Argentina / Mexico (imdb display title)
    Kick It Like Beckham Austria / Germany
    Skruva den som Beckham Finland (Swedish title) / Sweden
    Bas kao Beckham Croatia
    Bedre end Beckham Denmark
    Blafuj jako Beckham Czech Republic (imdb display title)
    Csavard be, mint Beckham Hungary
    Driblando o Destino Brazil
    Football Shootball Hai Rabba! India (dubbed version) (Hindi title)
    Hayatimin çalimi Beckham Turkey (Turkish title)
    Igraj kao Bekam Serbia (imdb display title)
    Joga Como Beckham Portugal (imdb display title)
    Kan' to opos o Beckham Greece (transliterated ISO-LATIN-1 title)
    Parempi kuin Beckham Finland
    Podkrec pilke jak Beckham Poland
    Quiero ser como Beckham Spain
    Sognando Beckham Italy
    Tribla nagu Beckham Estonia
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2012
    Yes, and here you go wrong: you assume the function is for COUNTRIES. It's not, it's for LANGUAGEs, which are represented by flags for simplicity.
    So, we use the Dutch flag for dutch-speaking movies, be they from NL, BE, South Africa or Tibet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMimimi
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2013
    Okay, too bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMimimi
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2014
    Okay, I'm still not satisfied about this subject.
    Just now I came across this shot #308776
    It had 1 flag, I added 4 more 'Alternative Titles' flags, but it still doesn't have the original country flag.
    IMO that's illogical. :-/

I still think every movie should have its original flag.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2014
    Is your problem with the fact that there is a missing language (if so, you should email/contact kinoute and tell him which), or still with the fact that WTM displays languages, not countries?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMimimi
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2014 edited
    With the fact that WTM displays languages and not countries.
    I think it's a pity and illogical that you can't see from what country a movie is.
    You have to visit another website for that.

In other words, imo if there is only one flag it should be the country flag.
    Take #308776, it has 1 language flag and 4 alternative title (country-) flags but none of them is the original country of origin.
    Again I say it's illogical.

Another example:
    A Japanese movie shot, country and title are Japanese, but the language is English.
    What we see is one English flag. :-/
  1.  permalink
    @Mimimi

1 time you talk about movie page and 1 time about flag below a shot...
    below a shot, i dont know its good the see the original country of origin. Its a quiz and the origin country give away much info, especially on vaults, there people more often use imdb search to find solutions. Maybe it should added only somewhere on the movie page? In the near of director, year of release maybe?

for below a shot i ever thought the language should be only a small help for people to know, if there is the solution in your language already added here. WTM not add any languages itself, player must do that manually. So many of them are still missing...

Example: i am sure i know the title, but the game told me with a red cross i am wrong. Then i look for the german flag, if there is a german flag, i know i am wrong. If there is no german flag, i have to go to imdb and look for the english title or origin title, because i am maybe right, but the title i know is just missing here. French, polish players have most time no problem, but some people from countries with less players will get annoyed never to know they are wrong or the title they know is just not added here. So croatian, swedish players have an almost equal chance as french or polish players.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2014
    What he said. It's perfectly logical that you can't see what country a SHOT is from, this would only be an extra hint. However, I also think that it might be a nice addition to the movie page if something extra could be added there to display the country/ies of origin, but then only on the movie page.

Regarding your second example: the choice has been made ages ago (with the launch of WTM 2 iirc) to at first display only the 5 biggest languages (the ones that at that time had most titles, I think), to avoid a distractingly long row of flags for some shots. Makes sense for me, if you want to see all, you can always click the button to see. By now kinoute also coded something to display all alternative flags automatically when no title is present in those 5 languages, so that there is always at least one flag is shown.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    And again, I disagree. IMHO, each flag should stand for the language generally used in the country the alternate title is from.
    1. To me, the whole purpose of those flags is to let users know what alternate title they can use to guess the movie. And when you see a German flag, you expect the German title will work, even if this German title is actually using the English language.
    2. For some movies, the original title (therefore, language) is used in different countries for alternate titles, then the lack of flags can make it too much of an hint. Ex: I know that Iron Man has less flags than others, which helps me when a shot from that movie shows up... and it doesn't make sense to me, since there is a French title, and there is a German title, ...
    3. What if the alternate title is partly one language and partly another? Ex: Resident Evil 3: A Extinção. Again, I would go for the language of the country the alternate title is from (ex Portuguese for a Brazilian title, even if this title also contains English language).
    4. When title is just a name (of a character, place, brand, ...), what language is it? Names are often translated just the same in many languages...

As for the original language (and I think of Mimimi's example here), it's tricky when it's a been produced with funds from different countries *and* the title is a name *and* several languages are spoken in the film original version. What "main" language should we pick, then, when it's added to WTM? For this one, English was chosen. I think it's OK, because it's probably the main language used in the movie. But again, alternate titles should include the same title (name) with French and German flags. Because it was released in those countries with that same title.
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    Hi! Folks... didn't imagine that the introduction of this movie would lead to so many discussions. I must admit I hesitate a moment to assign a language to the original title. It's a german/french movie concrning money.... But... Director and writer are amarican, the hero is an american and most of actors, certainly spoke english. So I took the option to put it in english even if it can be discussed as I see... :)