Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2009 edited
    Let's post our best scenes of cinema here.
    These moments when you feel strange vibrations, tears rising to eyes, blissful smiles, unstoppable laughs, unbearable shivers...
    These best secondes of cinema that you will never forget.

Please follow this presentation :

Movie : The Big Lebowski (1998)
    Director : Coen Bro.
    Time : 5:40
    Duration : 2:05
    Summary : The titles of the movie. After a short presentation of the Dude and his coming troubles with strangers asking money he doesn't have, music by Bob Dylan arrives on images of bowling plays. Wonderfull traveling and slow motions about hands, balls, fingers and bodies in action. Ends on Steve Buscemi having a high tone scream after an incredible strike.
    Video extract / screenshot : http://www.wat.tv/video/the-big-lebowski-bob-dylan-fkxk_ffir_.html

If you can't find the video, you can post a screenshot of the scene, or even a link to a story board or a scene's analysis by a critic, it will be nice too.
    I think it would be very pleasant to find your thrills in a shout, right in the movie's page of the site. Please copy/paste your video/summary in it ! (ex : http://whatthemovie.com/movie/the_big_lebowski )

Please post your best thrills !
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    "My mind is going, I can feel it...."

clip cuts short a bit early but Im sure you are all familiar with it. God HALs voice, that claustrophobic breathing sound, something about an artificial entity being afraid, and pleading with a human not to "kill" it, Kubricks use of camera angles, just to unsettling - wow still makes me shiver and I have seen this movie like 100 times. Awesome is not the word. I would put the whole movie up but if I had to pick one scene it would probably be that one, or the evolution of man to the starchild.

oops, edit to follow format:

Movie : 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
    Director : Stanley Kubrick
    Time : unknown
    Duration : a bit longer than that video clip :)
    Summary : Hal has "malfunctioned" or rather become fully sentient, has seen off Frank, and Dave makes the journey to shut HAL off, all the while listening to HAL pleading to spare his "life".

Great thread idea btw !
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant

Movie: 00 Schneider
    Director: Helge Schneider
    Time: Somewhere at the beginning
    Duration: 1:15
    Summary: In this completely improvised movie, the retired commissioner 00 Schneider and his sidekick Lt. Koerschgen are on their way to mom's house. With great intentness 00 Schneider tries to solve the problem of getting his car over the curbstone into the parking space while Koerschgen is directing him. Suddenly an old woman comes out and says hello to the commissioner. This leads him to finally speeding up and knock over Koerschgen. (in the next scene he is doing great, like nothing happened to him)

Trivia: The old woman actually lives in that house in real life and wasn't planned to be in the movie. But she forged Helge Schneider (director and leading actor) to have a scene in it. She eventually got two scenes.

The whole movie is just weird and totally awesome, but this scene just got stuck in my head :D
    • CommentAuthorAntituur

Movie: In the Mood for Love (2000)
    Director: Wong Kar Wai
    Duration: 2:20
    Summary: How walking down the stairs to get some noodle soup can turn into pure poetry. Wong Kar Wai at his best, addressing all the senses, by using light, music and motion. Superior kitsch, postmodern aesthetics, name it what you want, but what a masterpiece!
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2009
    I can't find the scene on Youtube, but what comes to my mind is the wedding scene of Underground from Emir Kusturica, a pure moment of joy, music and craziness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Wow antituur that scene was astonishingly beautiful, has inspired me to watch this film ASAP!

edit: in fact - I just ordered it :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    @Chrisy:

is this it?

Looks awesome. Never seen anything by Emir Kusturica, am definitely going to have to look his stuff up. Any recommendations or should I go straight for underground? I have to say again, this is a great thread, already found 2 movies I want to see and have ordered one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    Thank for these good thrills, folks !

I can see that the format of presentation is necessary before showing a video, especially if it gives the envy to buy the movie then ! So please take the time to enter all the informations before giving any summary/link.
    And if you can't find the video, you can post a screenshot of the scene, or even a link to a story board or a scene's analysis by a critic, it will be nice too.

I think it would be very pleasant to find your thrills in a shout, right in the movie's page of the site. Please copy/paste your video/summary in it ! (ex : http://whatthemovie.com/movie/the_big_lebowski )
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    @ them00ch: :-) I'm sure you'll like it!
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    @them00ch
    No that's a different one
    This is the one but it is a small part, the scene is much longer so that's why I didn't post it (cause it gets better :) )

If you haven't seen any Kusturica, run for it, seriously :) I would advise you "Time of the Gypsies", this is my favorite, this movie is one true beautiful experience. I also love "Life is a miracle" and "Arizona Dream" but all Kusturica movies are a must see in my opinion. Except maybe his last one "Zavet" which is a big desapointment...
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    lol chrisy that looks hilarious, definitely going to have to get hold of that. Cheers for the recomendations. I really hope more people get involved in this thread, am finding out about some great looking movies.
  1.  permalink

Movie: Pulp Fiction
    Director: Quentin Tarantino
    Duration: 9:20
    Summary: Okay, I'm sure I'll rarely find someone who hasn't seen this masterpiece, but anyway, I wanted to share this great moment of moviehistory with you. The final scene of Pulp Fiction. Well, not chronological, but the way Tarantino put up the chapters.:D
    The not so short clip starts with "Pumpkin" asking Jules for the briefcase and eventually get caught with a 9mm in his face. But a supercool Samuel Jackson handles the precarious situation and saves the day, without anyone getting hurt.
    His calmness in this scene, just blew me the first time I saw the movie and I still get goosebumbs today. The scene ends with Jules and Vincent walking out of the restaurant to the song "Surf Rider" by the Lively Ones, my absolute favorite track out of the Pulp Fiction score.
    So, enjoy!:D
  2.  permalink
    #
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009
    Good choice theoffice911! Ive been really getting into David Lynch recently, even if I havent got the faintest idea what he is doing half the time. He just has this way of mixing normality with the completely out-there and getting right under your skin and making you squirm. Thats a great scene.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009 edited
    I need to add this one, one of my favourite dialogues in any movie ever. Again, not so much an unknown movie, but this scene always gives me chills.

"There are 17 different things a guy can do when he lies to give himself away"

Movie: True Romance (1993)
    Director: Tony Scott
    Duration: 9:52
    Summary: The greatest dialogue Tarantino ever wrote IMO, and the way Hopper and Walken bounce off each other here is cinematic gold. I love the way the tension mounts, and the way the piano comes in when Hopper resigns himself to his fate and decides to go out with middle finger raised. Some great lines and great chemistry between the 2 actors. Some people I know think the racial slurs are pretty heavy and uneccesary, and thats typical Tarantino writing :) but it only makes the scene more provocative and increases the tension in my eyes.

Sure the film isnt the greatest (although I do enjoy it), but I can watch this scene over and over again.

"Now, if thats a fact, tell me - am I lieing?"
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    thanks them00ch
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    heh you're welcome. And you should watch the movie if you havent already, its not bad. Just shows that Tony Scott did actually make interesting movies once upon a time. And Gary oldman's performance is pretty awesome too, i didnt even recognise him on my first viewing!

Might want to remove the link so that everyone doesnt automatically get a free solve ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009 edited
    Movie : Sukiyaki Western Django (2007)
    Director : Takashi Miike
    Time : 38:20
    Duration : 3:42
    Summary : Yoshino Kimura in Sukiyaki Western Django. Still grieved by her husband's recent murder, she therapeutically bursts into some random interpretive dance. Incredible music duo between a didgeridoo and a cajón, beautiful dance and very nice close shots on the women.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009 edited
    First of all: I love this thread! great idea LePaposaure :)

I'll feature a quite new film, I've recently watched twice in a row (which is always a good sign).

Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino from 2008
    IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1205489/
    WTM http://whatthemovie.com/movie/gran_torino

Time : 1:46h
    Duration : 3:00m
    Summary : I don't want to spoil anything, and I hope you won't youtube for a clip. Watch the movie full-length :) It's the climax of the movie; the turning point; beautiful camera movement & transitions (police light); we see all the main characters again ... and it fades back to the beginning ... all that combined with the beautiful voice of Jamie Cullum singing the most simple refrain ever. Made my cry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2009 edited
    Movie : Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny (2006) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365830/
    Director : Liam Lynch
    Time : 1:10
    Duration : 4:23
    Summary : Intro of the movie, like a fable, the main character is shown in his family, facing his own tragedy, receiving his holy (and rocky) mission. This musical introduction gives directly the tone of the whole movie : cynic, impolite and fun ! Crazy face of the young actor, good music, and very good voices (I love the end of the song, with the word "rooooock", by Jack Black himself) !

(The best video I found is a karaoke version, but it's good to understand every single word of this marvelous poem...)

PS Is there any chance to obtain a "sticky" on this thread someday ? It would be lovely ! :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2009 edited
    @LePaposaure . . I have so much respect for you that you posted a Tenacious D clip . . . :)
    • CommentAuthorLachinator
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2009 edited
    I have two scenes:
    The ending scenes from "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight"

Movie : Batman Begins (2005)
    Director : Christopher Nolan
    Time : don't know... well, it is the ending... so the last 1 1/2 min of the film
    Duration : 1:26
    Summary : It is the ending scene from "Batman Begins". Gordon talks with Batman about the future of Gotham, about escalation and about the Joker. I have two thrilling moments in this scene: 1st one is the turning of the playing card and the 2nd one is Batman's last sentence: "And you'll never have to."
    Video extract :

Movie : The Dark Knight (2008)
    Director : Christopher Nolan
    Time : the last 4 min of the film
    Duration : 4 min
    Summary : This is the ending scene of "The Dark Knight". Here we have Gordon and Batman. Again. Talking. Again. About Harvey Dent, about what he did and Batman is taking the blame. I just love the whole scene. Especially the music in the end.
    Video extract :
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2009 edited
    Movie: Into the Wild (2007)
    Director: Sean Penn
    Time: 1:55 (almost the end of the movie)
    Duration: 2 min
    Summary: My favorite scene of my favorite movie. It is so emotional and it shows the peak of the short, but intense relationship (which happens to be on the peak of a mountain) between these two different characters. The whole day until a second ago, Ron (the old man) just learned from Chris that life has much more to give, if you don't just sit around at home, crying about lost family members. And now he also has some good advice for Chris, who is running away from his family and society in general.

•  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2009 edited
    Thanks for the stick !
    @Deviant : Have you red the book by Jon Krakauer ? An indispensable add-on for any "wild" lover !
    • CommentAuthorCavaH
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009
    @Deviant
    At first I watched the movie only bits and pieces, and thought it was boring and awfull. But when I took the time for it. Man, its such an mindblowing movie. Love the way they burst out in laughing at the end of the scene. It is so unlogical, but at the same time, it feels natural. I love it.

@LePaposaure
    Ill definitely read the book :) Never knew it was based on a book
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009
    Oh damn, didn't notice your comment LePaposaure. No I haven't read the book yet. But I will for sure.
  3.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorMitchum
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009 edited
    Movie : Mulholland Dr. (2001)
    Director : David Lynch
    Duration : 4:57
    Summary : Guy at Winkie's tells about his dream which then unfolds. You know what's coming and still it gets me every time...

4.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorlapin
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2009
    I can't find it on YouTube, but the cooking scene in Fatih Akin's “Gegen die Wand” (Head-on) is absolutely amazing (in my memory, actually… but still!)
    • CommentAuthorMitchum
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2009
    Movie : Cría cuervos (1976)
    Director : Carlos Saura
    Duration : 1:50
    Summary : Ana imagines flying away.

Movie : Cría cuervos (1976)
    Director : Carlos Saura
    Duration : 1:22
    Summary : Ana listens to the song "Porque Te Vas" from Jeanette. A really beautiful and sad movie that stayed with me for a long time. As did the song.

•  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010 edited
    Movie : Alluda Mazaaka...! (1995)
    Director : Satyanarayana E.V.V.
    Duration : 4:00
    Best action scene ever !

• CommentAuthorMitchum
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2010
    No argument there! The sliding horse is legendary!!!!!
  5.  permalink

Movie : The Ring (2002)
    Director : Gore Verbinski
    Duration : 2:23

I know, really corny, but this one scared the shit out of me when i first saw it. I screamed and peeked over the sofa cushion in front of my face and had a nightmare she was standing at the end of my bed at night. I'll never forget that :)
  6.  permalink
    Movie: Boondock Saints
    Director: Troy Duffy
    Sequence: I have two, actually. Both the opening, when "The Blood Of Cuchulainn" starts playing, and the speech the Saints hold in the courtroom. Especially the part where they say "Do not kill, do not rape, do not steal" does the trick. The way he pronounces 'rape' always stuck with me.

The opening theme:

The speech:
    •  
      CommentAuthorkkumendes
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2010
    Movie: Magnolia (1999)
    Director: Paul Thomas Anderson

I like so much of this scene in Magnolia where everybody sings Aimee Mann's music wise Up.
    • CommentAuthordekolta
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010 edited
    Movie: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
    Director: Michel Gondry (Written with Charlie Kaufman)

It's the beginning of movie. What I like about this movie is that when you watch it the second time you see so many great new things, and how Kate plays a bit of a crazy person like Jim Carrey always is in his other movies and Jim Carrey playing such a 'boring' person as Kate is in most of her movies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010

gets me every time
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2010 edited
    After talking about this in IRC yesterday, I realised it needed to be here.

Movie : Manhattan (1979)
    Director : Woody Allen
    Time : Right at the start
    Duration : 3:36
    Summary : Possibly the most atmospheric, moody opening to any film, and certainly one of my favourites. As soon as Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue starts playing I get chills up and down my spine. New York has never been photographed so beautifully, you can almost taste the air. I could watch this sequence on a loop and never get tired of it.

•  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2010
    I very much second the post of m00ch. Considering openings I can never get tired of, I have 2 other favorites:

•  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2010
    Both awesome pspan, I'm annoyed I didn't think of them. That opening riff for The Doors "the end", set to the napalm gives me goosebumps.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2010

One of the best openings in the last years, in my opinion. Perfect choice of music.
    • CommentAuthordoooom
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2010

Movie: Nuovo Cinema Paradiso
    Director: Giuseppe Tornatore
    It's just the perfect ending for this film. Full of emotions without saying a single word. And the music fits perfect to the pictures.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2010 edited
    [DO NOT WATCH/READ IF YOU HAVENT SEEN "THE THIRD MAN" - SPOILERS LIE AHEAD]

Movie : The Third Man (1949) http://whatthemovie.com/movie/the_third_man
    Director : Carol Reed
    Time : erm somewhere between the beginning and the end :)
    Duration : 2:55
    Summary : The plot has been dropping hints so far that something isn't quite right with Lime's death, Who was the third man? Why are things being hidden? When Holly is being followed, we are kept in the dark along with Holly as to by who it may be, and why. And then ... one of the greatest entries in cinema - that Zither theme is so memorable, and when Welles' face lights up, his expression is perfect, gives me shivers. As a first-time viewer you feel as dumbfounded as Holly, like you've been slapped in the face :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2010 edited
    Darn m00ch, looks like we're on the same page with movies. Loved this scene in the Third Man (#68831 gave it away for me), but I also liked the intro (#60052) ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2010 edited
    Movie : Enchanted (2007) http://whatthemovie.com/movie/enchanted
    Director : Kevin Lima
    Time : ---
    Duration : 2:20
    Summary : After being sent to our world by an evil queen, a fairytale princess is spending a night in a lawyer's appartment. She wakes up the next morning and sees that the apartment is filthy. She goes to the window and calls the animals (roaches, flies, rats, and pigeons) to help her clean the house.
    Video extracts :

English version (good quality) - you can skip the intro and goes to 0:40, start of the scene) :

French version (poor quality, just for the french lyrics) :

This scene is a pure ironic jewell from Disney to all the old audience who have seen so many great master-pieces when we were young.
    The spirit of a fairytale is kept - she speaks to animals, gives orders in music to do hard works with fun and friendship - but, as she's in our bad and lazy world, the aim of the song is to clean an appartment ! In the french version (my native language), I can tell the rhymes are well choosen, giving a pure paradoxal and ironic tone, showing the princess as innocent and dumb as she really is !
  7.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthoraril
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2010
    The best opening and closing title sequences: http://www.watchthetitles.com

For more info go to 'movies funstuff' on the forum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2010 edited
    Movie : Up (2009) http://whatthemovie.com/movie/up
    Director : Pete Docter, Bob Peterson
    Time : 5:00
    Duration : 4:20
    Summary : (from IMDb) Carl Fredricksen, a shy and quiet young boy, meets an energetic and outgoing bucktoothed barefooted tomboy named Ellie, discovering they share the same interest in exploration as their hero, the then 24-year-old famed explorer Charles F. Muntz. Ellie expresses her desire to move her clubhouse to Paradise Falls in South America, a promise she makes Carl keep.

This sequence is actually a perfect short-movie in a excellent long one.
    I'm not the first viewer who have cried watching this 5 minutes for the first time, and I will not be the last ! It's a pure jewell !

The sequence is composed by 4 different parts :
    - the couple settling in the house and building their love (-> 1'00)
    - the new that Ellie can't have a baby, the goal of explorations instead (-> 1'50")
    - Saving money during years, the time goes by... (-> 3'30)
    - Ellie gets ill, Carl becomes widower (-> end)

First thing we have to say is that the whole sequence is silent ! There's only a lovely song ("Married Life" by Michael Giacchino), which gives the rythm of the different mini-sequences, and helps the audience to follow all the actions. The rythm of this waltz is always changing, the lead melody is given by different instruments (winds for happiness and hope, strings and piano for sadness). It gives to the audience another impression that it's really a short movie in the long one, having its own start and end.

The fact that no information is given by sounds or voices gives a particular taste, especially because viewers have to concentrate to follow the meaning of the story. As the scenes are quickly edited and camera is moving often, the sequence is very entertaining.
    We can learn so many details about the love of the couple, the respect for what they believe both, and the many decisions they have to do in their life.

The building of the script is an exemple for movie makers !
    I love the "tie" gimmick, the responses of mini-scenes (in the green grass watching clouds, the coin's bottle, the balloons and the church...), and I 'm impressed how fast we can focus on one detail, forgetting another (like the book of Ellie, reappearing at the end of the sequence).
  8.  permalink
    #