Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2009
    Please make sure you all read the new rule regarding dvd release dates in the FAQ here:

http://whatthemovie.com/page/help#dvd_criteria

quote:
    "Recently released Movies
    If you are trying to post a snapshot from a recently released movie be sure to check out the IMDb release date (You can find the date on the DVD Details page, linked in the left coloumn beneath Other Info or by simply appending /dvd to your IMDb URL). If your intended movie is not yet released according to this date, it will be rejected. The reason why we settled on this specific date is to avoid confusion with release dates all around the world. If you already own a legal copy of your movie, be patient and wait for the IMDb release."

This rule change is to simplify and standardise when people can post shots from films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2009
    bump, just to make sure it isnt missed. No need for sticky, but I may bump this a few times sorry in advance ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2009
    Think it's good to have a verifiable date :)

(free bump ;) )
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2009
    thanks zythux :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009

last bump I promise. And no more terrible songs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCotp
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2009 edited
    Edited: I was wondering for that a movie I saw in the submission section it says in Imdb 10th of November but if you click on "Buy at Amazon" you can see clearly that it will be release tomorrow the 11th.... so how come there is already a snapshot of it ? Strange... Do you think it really comes from a DVD ?

Anyway it doesn't break the rule which is fine with me.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Because amazon is only one supplier, and for england/usa. There are also other countries out there, with different release dates.

EDIT:
    And please remove your link, you're now just giving the answer away.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2009
    it kind of makes cotp's comment impossible to understand....
    •  
      CommentAuthorCotp
    Sorry about that, I thought the snap was obvious to everyone...., I rewrote the post
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009
    Any moderator to have a look at the shout discussion:
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/42893
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Copy of the shout I added

" them00ch less than a minute ago

Have already discussed this one with naut. This one is OK. The examples you list efji all have dvd release dates in imdb, so they should be adhered to strictly, as per the new rules. But in this case there are no dates listed in imdb so a little common sense is required. A quick google shows it was released on xxst october in some countries, so its OK.

the imdb dvd release dates will be fine in 99.9% of the cases, this is an exception. "
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Thanks mOOch
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010
    Sorry in advance, but here's a bump from my side:)

Have been voting for deletion for about 6 movies because they weren't released yet or straight to dvd!

People please visit IMBD if you upload a shot from a fairly new movie, and check if it's already out on dvd and if it isn't a direct to dvd movie.
    For example Avatar which isn't on dvd before 31-dec-2010, or smokin aces 2: assassins ball, which is straight to dvd. I've seen SA2 coming around like 3 times in 2 days. Think they were from different uploaders, but still quite annoying when people upload a shot from a movie over and over when it's breaking the rules.

Now I stop whining and go to sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2010
    To further add to the bump. Shots of Smoking aces 2 should also be deleted because straight to dvd isn't allowed on the site.
  1.  permalink
    Yeah! And we've got a "Fantastic Mr Fox" situation too. This sneaky fox made it 2 times through the New Submissions without anybody to notice it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    •  
      CommentAuthormikebozzio
    @Zythux, from IMDB:

Duel (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067023/trivia)

When first screened in Europe, the TV movie received a theatrical release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    After airing on U.S. TV, Steven Spielberg expanded it into a feature; this was the version released in Europe.
    • CommentAuthorTerry5
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    The rules are not very clear about this, I think everything with (TV) of (V) on IMDB should not be allowed, just because that's the only way to keep it easy-to-check and clear for all users. If you don't do this you'll get a lot of discussion if movies had (minimal) theatrical releases afterwards and should therefore be allowed or not.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2010
    I'm with Zythux on this
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2010 edited
    The rules are pretty clear, no uploadng of movies with (tv) or (v) on imdb. So far the only exception that keeps coming up is Duel. A little reading shows that Duel was released widely theatrically, but was made for tv first, hence the TV flag.

If its got (tv) or (v) next to it on imdb, dont upload it. Duel being an exception. If you think there are more exceptions then feel free to post them here and we can discuss them on a case-by-case basis
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    I'm with m00ch on this
    ;-)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Do I sense a bit of Spielberg-favoratism? I demand a recount!
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    no, just love McCloud!
    • CommentAuthorShayah
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010 edited
    We had recently some shots from The imaginarium of the Doctor Parnassus in the New Submissions, and I think they were deleted because according to IMDB the release date is april 27th, which is the rule estabished in this thread.
    Actually, the DVD/Bluray is already available in UK since a few days and will be released in France tomorrow, I don't know for other countries.
    Can we make an exception for this movie, even if it was not made by Spielberg? I think we should, to avoid many problems with uploaders: that's a popular movie, with many greats shots in it and we're still 4 weeks from the official release date!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010
    I would say: stick to the rule. I own the DVD myself and can hardly wait to upload but it's much easier to have a clear rule. Otherwise there will be an exception here and another one there. And we soon have the same mess we had before this rule.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010
    yeah I also agree with Fungus, just be a bit patient :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2010
    Must agree with fungus and Chrisy in this case, but I think it would be great if there could be a new feature where users with a certain rank can set the release date, so noone can upload before this date (I think I alone have helped delete around five 2012 shots before it was released...)
    • CommentAuthorcaustic
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2010
    hello Im new here. Ive read the FAQ and couldnt find the answer there. Also a search on the forum didnt give any answer so Im gonna ask it here.

I have a collection of asian cinema, some of them quite new. They are already (legit) released on dvd in Asia, and I have bought them. But in the western world (europe/US) they arent released yet. Should I wait for european/us dvd release before I start uploading them or can I upload them now?
    • CommentAuthortoffetomas
    Hi Caustic and welcome
    You have to follow the release date indicated on the IMDB site, normally it should say if it is released in asia or not, if so no problem at all ;)
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    just go to imdb and type "dvd" (without "") behind the URL, then you'll see the release date. for example http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384833/ becomes http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384833/dvd and you'll see it is released 26th of october 2004. A shot from this movie would be allowed to post if it wasn't a direct to tv release:)
    •  
      CommentAuthorenerg
    @rulo, wow I did not know you could find it that way..
    •  
      CommentAuthorenerg
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2010
    BTW is it an idea to add the release-date on the movie info page ( http://whatthemovie.com/movie/die_hard/info ) ?
    • CommentAuthorcaustic
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2010 edited
    thank you all for your replies ;) but sadly imdb isnt a very reliable info concerning dvd for asian releases. there are tons of asian cinema wich arent released on dvd according to imdb but are actually released on dvd in asia and even in europe for years.

one example, the movie: Aruitemo aruitemo (2008) (Still Walking), According to imdb ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1087578/ ) its not released on dvd. But you can buy it from playasia ( http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-aa-49-en-70-361i.html ) for more then a year. Its also released in europe for more then a year: http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/13705954/Still-Walking/Product.html

Its okay if we keep using the imdb rule, but we gonna miss out on some excellent cinema this way ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorenerg
    You could also check amazon.com for release dates of some other dvd site. I would say just upload the shot and as a shout post the link of the site it's on. Go for it I would say!! You'll hear our verdict if it's not okay.
    • CommentAuthordoooom
    If there's no DVD details page you should have a look on the Release dates page on imdb as well. There you can see, that Aruitemo aruitemo has been released on DVD in Japan on January 23rd 2009. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1087578/releaseinfo
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    If the IMDb DVD page has no info, just check on any Amazon site whether it's officialy out on DVD and if it is, you're good to go.
    Plus this rule was created for "recently released movies". To make it simple : the year is 2010, I think 2009 and 2010 movies can still be considered recent, but any older movies should not.
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2010
    I uploaded a snapshot from a movie #107717
    It isn;t released on dvd yet according to IMDB, but in Holland it already released, I posted spoilered links in a shout below the shot.
    Golden Rule #2 states: "Use the original DVD to take the Snapshot"
    Which I did. the dvd was released in Holland on the 31st of August...
    Is it allowed to post the snapshot or not? It is in my opinion:)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    No, it's not. We stick to the IMDB rule.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2010 edited
    @rulo: Your case was already discussed in this thread. If you read the posts above, you can see that we had the case of Dr. Parnassus which was out on DVD in UK long before the release date on imdb. Nevertheless we waited with uploading up to the IMDB-release date. If we don't stick to this rule we will have a mess as we had before this simple rule, because there is always somebody arguing the DVD is out in his country already. However, this is much too tedious to control and often not possible at all.

edit: Asmodai beat me :)
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    I'm sorry:) I didnt read the whole thread, but its deleted already, I hopefully be the first when its released
  2.  permalink
    I haven't really understood this "rule" in fact. When "I love you Philipp Morris" was released in DVD in France, I bought it, posted some shots and ... they were deleted. I was on IMDB website, I haven't found the IMDB-release date, I missed the slot and one week later, two persons have posted the same shots :'(
    I was so disgusted but this is the game. Don't you find it's unfair to wait for the released in England/USA? (or maybe I don't really understand :p)
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2010 edited
    @Kopainkopine: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1045772/dvd. I don't understand how you couldn't find it. What should people from Poland, Croatia or some other countries say about the release date, where movies come much later? The release date must be the same for everyone, because then some of us could never post their shot and the best thing for that is to stick to the rules, which say that IMDB release date is relevant, sorry. Hope I made this a bit clearer :)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2010
    Also, when some south-american country get a way earlier release date (which frequently happens), that is NOT on imdb, it is hard or even impossible for us mods to check. Even more so for smaller countries or countries that use different alphabet systems for their websites!
  3.  permalink
    I think the official standpoint on this issue is "Simple rules are better than good rules." Yeah, it's unfair on some people as it is now, but you can't expect the mods to check every single release date for every single country.

The lazy sods.
  4.  permalink
    @lovelyT: Can you repost your link? Page not found! But I was on IMDB website and I found this f*cking IMDB released date in the bottom of the page in the "details" part! Maybe I was blind when I was searching for the first time :)

@Asmodai & OhLookBirdies: Totally agree, it's impossible to have a date for each country! I haven't thought about the countries of eastern Europe and all others which have to wait for the DVD. So I will follow the rule :)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2010
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1045772/dvd was LovelyT's link. You can find DVD release info by going to the movie page, and adding "/dvd" to the link of that site.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2010
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/112780 um...I'm confused so is this movie allowed or not because repeatedly I heard no and now I hear yes :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2010
    @sati: it has already 3 shots in the database, and the oldest one was posted in nov 2009