Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010
    hi guys,

now that the new WTM is running smoothly (more or less), the next big thing on our agenda is Groups.

Basically it will look something like a last.fm group, a list of members, a shoutbox & a group ranking.
    Here's our last.fm group if you don't know how it looks like: http://www.last.fm/group/Whatthemovie

Let me tell you what we already have in mind:

> There'll be 2 different kinds of groups, a competition group and a fun group.
    Competition groups have a maximum member count (on which we haven't decided yet) and have their own section in the hall of fame.
    Fun groups have no maximum member count and as their name suggests are there to bring likeminded people together, etc

> We'd like to involve Supporters a little more. The Idea is to just let Supporters create new groups.
    Joining a group is possible for everyone (though we'll also have group policies: you can for example decide if your group will be invite only)

Now we'd like to ask you to cut loose with requests!

What would you like to see in a WTM group?
  1.  permalink
    Out of interest, does that mean that groups as we have them now, i.e. several people playing on one account, will be banned?
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010 edited
    In MY WTM-group I'd like to see CW, theoffice911, poly and groucho. Does that count?

OT: Maybe a function where solved shots become invisible? Otherwise people in a group can always go and request solutions to shots that their groupmates have solved, and then fill in the answers on their own account.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    OhLookBirdies:

One of the goals of groups is to "clean" the solo hall of fame of group accounts (which has been requested by tons of people)
    so the answer is: maybe
    • CommentAuthorrevani
    i think it's a great idea! just not completely clear to me, does this mean, i as a person can join a competition group (or several) and a fun group (or several)?

will only supporters have the ability to start groups? or people with high enough ranks as well?

@asmodai, i'm curious to that as well, that wouldn't be fair.. (maybe instead of :you already solved this -> one of your groupmembers has already solved this, -> which means you can't request the solution.. )

keep it up! :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    Of course group members should not be able to see the solutions of shots other group members solved. That would still leave you with the same problems as before.

I really like this idea. You can for example say people can be member of one competition-group and infinite fun-groups.
    • CommentAuthorMaxi
    Very nice. :) Dreams come true!
    And I agree with Zythux, good ideas.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010
    hmmmm still dont like the group idea
    wtm is a indivual thing in my opinion

but if the majority is for the groups
    lets do it then

we will see :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Well you dont have to join a group LordMyst :) You can play solo, and your scores will be seperate from the groups. Thats the point :)
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    I know that m00ch

but all the new features on wtm I don't know
    maybe I am getting old fashioned :)
  2.  permalink
    :( Then all those who have accounts with friends will have all their work thrown away? Sad...
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Everyone should have had their own accounts anyway forumquedizni....
  3.  permalink
    I don't understand, them00ch. Sorry. Do you mean you think people might have played on more than one account or that the recomendation was to play on both accounts?
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010
    I mean everyone should have their own individual accounts, ie you shouldn't share an account with anyone IMO. It gives an unfair advantage for things like the leaderboards etc.

With the new groups setup, you and your friends can all have your own accounts, and work together competitively as a group.
  4.  permalink
    Hahaha! It's advantadge if you share with people that are good. :P

Edit: I know it's hard to do (and since the idea by now is only for groups to be started by supporters it is probably useless what I'll ask) but couldn't these shared accounts be changed into a group? Like if it's a status or something? Without losing the bucks and shouts...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010 edited
    @forumquedizni
    I don't think that's possible. Technically speaking. Groups and shared accounts are not the same thing, they can't be magically transformed into individual accounts and put in a real group instead with just a push of a button.
    Groups are not accounts, groups are ... well, groups of accounts.
  5.  permalink
    Yes, I thought of that. I was thinking of a different thing, but I have just remembered the last.fm example. But it could also be one group with one member only...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    That would be possible. But in that case I vote for freezing this account from that point on so that every individual behind it can make their own account and join the group. Else it would make this whole feature nonsense.
    • CommentAuthorLeonardoS
    I'm sorry, but I'm with LordMyst.
    I think this won't work.
    There are some predictable groups, that certainly will be first on everything.
    Would be an unfair competition.
    • CommentAuthorLeonardoS
    What each one will be able to do in a group?
    Give an example of a Group please.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    I don't think Naut is asking for approval :)

I am not sure why anyone is really objecting to this, its an additional feature, that will not change the way you play the game at all if you dont want it to. Why object to things which are optional and won't affect you if you choose not to? If you don't agree or like the idea, then don't join a group :) Nothing will change for you. For the people that will use it, it will be a great way to bring people together even more and enrich the community, make some new friends etc.. and its an extra level of competition for people who like that sort of thing.

And for an example of a group, see Naut's first post:

"Basically it will look something like a last.fm group, a list of members, a shoutbox & a group ranking."

Naut is kindly giving everyone the chance to get involved and say what you would like to see on the group pages.

I would like to see a list of common owned films/favourited films/favourited shots.
    "3 people in this group have favourited <shot> "
    "4 people in this group have <DVD name> on their DVD shelf"
    "4 people have marked <film name> as a favourite film"

stats for the group, so you can have a bit of internal competition with your own group members
    "user1 has xxx solves in FF"
    "user 2 has xxx first solves currently in FF"
    "user 3 has xxx uplaods currently in FF"

I'm sure you clever people out in WTM land can come up with something better than that :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    I also think it's an awesome idea.
    I love m00ch's idea of an internal competition in the groups.
    Don't have anything to add at this moment, but I'll think about it. Most important things have been said already :)
  6.  permalink
    Did I get this right? Only supporters can start groups?

That severely limits the number of groups and makes the whole thing pointless.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Or gives you an extra reason to support the wtm-owners in these hard times ;) As far as I know, they still have to pay up each month for our website, so you might as well help them with a small amount, and get some added rights back.
  7.  permalink
    Wouldn't object to a bit of advertising on here, which might help out in this time of hardship.

Anyway, if you wanna do groups then make it as open as possible. That's my humble opinion...
    • CommentAuthorLeonardoS
    Now i get it.
    I didn't understand. But now i understood.

And i like the idea.
    But i thought a group could get answer of any other of the group. This i think it's unfair.

But, a group of anything? Like "Brazilians" ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    @LeonardoS
    Brazilians, Germans, Red-Haired, Awesome People, whatever you want ;) you can also join more than one group.

And I agree with m00ch. If people don't like this feature (for whatever reason), they should just ignore it. Groups are common thing in communities and nobody ever had a problem with that. It won't hurt you. Far from it. It means that people who used to play in groups on one account (which is forbidden) will now have the opportunity to create real groups and have their own accounts.
    • CommentAuthorLeonardoS
    Got it!
    It's a good idea. I missunderstood at the beginning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    for the dutch people
  8.  permalink
    I also think it'd be very interesting. I'd like to know if fun groups will also have their own rankings, because if the competition groups will have a maximum of members, it'd be hard to create groups named with countries, since we have many players from many countries in here. Can a supporter create more than one group?
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2010
    I am not sure if it's already in the topic
    but can groups uploads shots?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    @LordMyst
    Why would you want to do that?
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    I don't want to do that
    why would I

but was just asking
    just curious
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2010 edited
    Groups can't do anything. It's just a way where people with the same interests, nationality or any other similarity can come together. The group charts are just all individual scores from the members combined.
  9.  permalink
    @Deviant
    You said: "It means that people who used to play in groups on one account (which is forbidden)"

It's not forbidden. Actually, it is allowed. "You are however allowed to play with your friends on one shared account." It's on the page of the Terms of service.

That's why I think it's sad these accounts have to be frozen or deleted and memorabilia, bucks, shouts are all wasted if they were according to the rules. (I know the Terms can be changed, I'm only saying I think it's not nice)

Anyway, about the groups (which I still haven't said a word about), I was thinking of something like a shoutbox for the group, but with the possibility of having private messages between members.
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010
    Very nice idea imo, but don't limit it to supporters because you are excluding too many people with that.
    And the stats, how many first time solved, how many total etc etc

Great idea
  10.  permalink
    It's not limited to supporters, everyone can join. Supporters are the only ones who can create groups though, which isn't that big a deal if you ask me. Enough supporters to ensure a steady supply of groups that will catch your fancy.
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    Is it already possible to create groups then??
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    'now that the new WTM is running smoothly (more or less), the next big thing on our agenda is Groups.'
    so, not yet, they're working on it and ask for ideas/suggestions here.
    • CommentAuthorcaspar
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2010
    Why not have a world cup competition between countries
  11.  permalink
    Cuz Frenchies are too strong lol
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    dutch will win :)
    • CommentAuthorLeonardoS
    Frenchies would win.
    Wait for the world cup in the middle of the year. ;)

To join to a group, the supporter that create the group has to accepet the person?
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    Holland wil win both World Cup Soccer and WTM Cup:)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    'To join to a group, the supporter that create the group has to accepet the person? '

From the opening post:
    'Joining a group is possible for everyone (though we'll also have group policies: you can for example decide if your group will be invite only)'
    So, the supporter/leader can decide if it will be an invite-only group or a group where everyone can join.
    • CommentAuthorbazzy3000
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2010 edited
    @lordmyst

this won't be a surprise for you myst.. i'm on your team ;)

but on the topic.. teamplay is under control as long there are rules... otherwise it just wouldn't be fair... i don't like this teamplay.. but it happens anyway.. so.. give them a chance to do it in a fair way..

cheating is always possible ;) let's create a secret account myst ;) lordbazzy would do fine, no one will know ;) get a high score in the solo section together :)

but seriously.. single players should always get the most credits!

<edit> seeing the compition between the french and dutch.. this could actually be fun in a way...
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    French will probably win, because there are much more French shots on here than Dutch.

I'm wondering if everyone understands the teaming up does not spoil any solutions. It's not really teamplay, it's more like: Let's see which shots at least one groupmember has solved, this shot counts as solved for the group then, but doesn't mean the others can see the solution.
    (At least, that's what I thought how it worked, correct me if I'm wrong)
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2010 edited
    if thats how it works zythux, that wouldn't be such a bad idea. I was also wondering, what if I join a group with say MisterZob and Theoffice911. I wouldn't have anything to solve anymore.
    And I mean literally, the two combined have got a solve percentage of about 120%

BTW, i don't think the french victory is as sure as you make it. My guess is there are more Dutch then French players.
    Not sure though
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010
    http://blog.whatthemovie.com/2009/12/some-quite-boring-statistics/

1. France 23,99 %
    2. Germany 21,09 %
    3. Netherlands 13,34 %

;)
  12.  permalink
    French have like half the top20 solvers!