Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJacky
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010
    Hi Guys,

first of all: yes, i like wtm and i've been around since s/w-times :-)
    but the upload-function should, in my eyes, be improved.
    to make things clear, i'm NOT talking about "goldencreditcardawesomsuperuploads" but about the bloody old "general upload" -section.

so here are my suggestions:
    a) please put the "captcha"-thingi AFTER you checked, wheter uploadslots for a certain movie are free or not. just let us know, before typing the cryptic stuff...
    b) could you tell the user, WHEN a certain moviestill can be uploaded next ? i'm now trying for MONTH (no kidding) to upload a (imho: a very nice one) still, but i NEVER get through the upload-process because no slots are available.

this is a very frustrating experience, especially because some "awesome"-uploaders post stills of this film (which are a bit boring, sorry).

please help me out!

sincerely :
    jacky
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    sorry, we can not
    those things have been discussed multiple times before.
    the reason why we can not do that is because it would give away information.
    if we tell you "The slot is unavailable" you KNOW that somewhere there's a shot of the movie in the last week. This already leaks a bit of information. Automated bots could access that for all films, so we keep that BEHIND the captcha.
    now if we told you at what time the slot gets available again we'd be telling you what shot belongs to that movie, that's also leaking information.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    The captcha is there to prevent from cheating. Bots would be able to check for all movies if there's a shot uploaded last week, if you put the captcha behind this it would have no sense anymore.
    Also the date that a movie can be uploaded can not be given because it also would stimulate cheating. It will be easy to find the last uploaded shot this way, since you exactly know when it has been uploaded (exactly 7 days before).
    All you can do is watch when a shot is uploaded and be sure to try uploading yours exactly a week later.

On the other hand I agree with you Awesome Uploads can be a little annoying when trying to get a shot in (If you only check the amount of Awesome Uploads Inglourious Basterds already produced...). Maybe Awesome Uploads should be left out when checking if a shot has been posted last 7 days. This way there will always be a possibility each 7 days for people without any Awesome Uploads.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010 edited
    "Maybe Awesome Uploads should be left out when checking if a shot has been posted last 7 days. "

I was pretty sure that awesome uploads didn't affect the one shot/per film/per week rule? (i.e. an awesome upload doesnt reset the 7 day counter). I may be mistaken but this is how I understood it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    Awesome uploads can always be uploaded, but if you do upload an awesome upload the counter is set to 7 again. (At least that's what I thought, because I think I have experienced that before, but I may be wrong too)
    • CommentAuthorJacky
    First of all: thx for your answers.

I see the problem for the captcha-case, but why (in case the awesome-upload doesn't affect the 7-day-rule) isn't it possible to tell the user WHEN a new-upload window is available; he already KNOWs (because of the errormessage "dayaftertomorrow...") that there must be stills of "his" movie in the queue.
    And: if he really gets information out of the timestamp, so what? he'll know this movie, because he did screenshots of it, right?
    Instead he have to try and try again, instead of waiting to the right day and post it.

As you may have noticed, repetition is not one of my favorite hobbys ;-)
    I agree with Zythux, that awesome uploads can be boring :-)

Sincerely:
    jacky
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    if you upload a awesome upload
    the counter will set to 7
    I think this is true
    • CommentAuthorJacky
    Bad news for me :-(
    in this case, i should give up to upload common movies...
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    Jacky, I use to bookmark those shots i want to upload and follow them until they've been on WTM for 7 days, that works for me:)
    • CommentAuthoricemotion
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2011
    Jumping into this discussion for a second.. even though it's a year old.. but I've began uploading a bit more actively lately. I have wondered about the captcha only to find out there is no slot for the movie. But it makes sense as tliff explained it.

But it is kind of jarring that awesome uploads dodge the 7 day rule. I mean it's there to prevent flooding, but with awesome uploads it's still possible to upload shots so that shots from the same movie appear only a day apart. Which to me kind of defeats the purpose then.

Now I know that there is currently no developer active for WTM, but still it would be nice if it could be somehow fixed.
    • CommentAuthorShayah
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2011
    I also have a suggestion about this 7 days rule.

I'm sometimes feeling frustrated when trying to upload a shot from a famous and/or recent movie, because I never get a free slot (I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about) and I sometimes noticed people having unfair behaviour IMHO.
    An example: you finally get the free slot you were waiting for, and you upload your snapshot on tuesday at 6:43 pm. You're probably the only one knowing PRECISELY when there will be another free slot, so you just have to be connected to WTM every tuesday at 6:43 pm to be able to upload 5 shots in 5 weeks, without using any AU.
    Maybe we should change the rule on this point. For instance, we could have to wait 8 days instead of 7 when we have uploaded the previous shot, to let other WTM players a chance to get this f***ing free slot they're all waiting for.

As icemotion said above, I know there is no developer on WTM for the moment, but I just wanted to share the idea... Now I will wait a few days and if nothing changes, I'll start a hunger strike :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2011 edited
    I agree with you. I think it even would be fine to wait 2-3 weeks before you can upload a shot from the same movie again (I personally try to wait until my last shot of the movie gets out of the FF). Besides I think it's really rude to take the slot of a populair movie two weeks in a row...
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2011 edited
    Yes, we already have the idea to have a longer period for a user to be able to re-upload the same movie again, normal shots and awesome uploads (which we all know are used sometimes to just post the same movie over and over again), it isn't fair for the other players and we know this should be changed, we already discussed it and agreed with Naut :) Only question now is when? And I cannot answer that
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2011
    I think a user should be free to do what he/she wants with AU, after all they cost money or a lot of time spent on solving contests.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    WTM Staff disagrees.
    1st, you don't *buy* AUs. They are given to thank you for supporting WTM.
    2nd, we don't go by the "money can buy anything" policy. As much time you may have spent to earn them, it doesn't give you any right to do just anything you want.
    AUs will always be "special", that what they're here for. But special won't mean almighty any more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    I do agree with the staff here, but it would be sad if you can't post a complete series you collected because some shots don't fit in the new rules. Only thing I really like about AU's are the awesome series we sometimes see. But maybe there could somehow be made an exception for series ;) Still, this is not really important right now, since there's still no coder.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2011 edited
    You do have a good point here, Zythux, the series are indeed in my opinion as well the best part about awesome uploads. However, I also agree that something should be done to avoid the flood of blockbuster shot everytime, and people hoarding slots for specific movies.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    Maybe if/when we have a new coder, we could get an option while posting Au to choose "series" which would allow this exception. Must be possible
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2011
    "if"?
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2011
    At the moment I would be very happy with an online site :-( I guess this addiction is more serious than I thought..
    •  
      CommentAuthorKeyser_Soze
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2011 edited
    How about to improve upload function for character shots...Now we have to start the uploading process all over for each character, which takes a lot of time if you're uploading more than two or three character shots. Maybe the option where you choose the movie once and just add characters for uploading. Also when we activate a character there's an option "upload new snapshot" - it would be nice when you click on it that all you have to do is steps 4, 5 and 6, not all of them from the beginning.
    Anyway, I don't know if this was proposed before but it would be a great addition
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2011
    I agree.