Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2010 edited
    Hey everone,

Here the poll for the new contest. This poll will run till next Saturday (27th) 18.00 CET. If the score is tied after that, I will run a new poll with only the tied suggestions for another day and then I decide.

On a sidenote: Cats and Dogs may be creepy to you, but with them I mean fluffy creatures that are used as pets. Creepy animals are things like spiders, scorpions, brainslugs and OhLookBirdies.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2010
    if I had too choose

first seven sins
    second landscapes
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Well, you have to choose, that's the whole idea of a poll. ;)
  1.  permalink
    Hey! I'm fluffy :(
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    Where's the OhLookBirdiesBalls-Option?
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    only pspan wants that
    the normal wtmérs don't :)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    That's part of gore.
    • CommentAuthorCircee
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2010
    An idea for a new contest :
    Food : in each movie (Hitchcock is a good exemple) there is a scene with some one eating , or cooking ,reading a menue ..etc ...
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Would you mind posting new ideas in http://forum.whatthemovie.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=645&page=1 ? This topic is purely for the march 2010 contest, the other topic is a general one for all contest ideas.
    • CommentAuthorRenko
    Coffee and Cigarettes? A contest for one movie? - ok not funny :D
    i voted for Tears and Strong Emotions, but i think most of the named themes sound great!
    • CommentAuthorbazzy3000
    okay... since asmodai is gonna pick out these shots i voted for landscapes... i think the seven sins idea is a cool one for an upload contest... as is gore and splatter ;) and i have a really nice landscape in my uploads so go check it out asmodai :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    bazzy, this will be an upload contest, not a sidequest.
    • CommentAuthorbazzy3000
    oops... wasted my vote there... i misunderstood... doesn't matter... it looks like the 7 sins will win anyway... have to go grab some shots now ;) i got a new comp.. all my shots are on my old.. dismanteled machine :)
  2.  permalink
    One question: I know it's something it's already been discussed, but I'd like to know how you guys consider a shot can represent a deadly sin or a holy virtue. Any shot of a girl in panties could be lust or people eating could be gluttony or how can I make a criteria? =o
  3.  permalink
    I have at least one shot that neatly encapsulates several sins in mind already. :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    @sunsetwalker : it would be open to your interpretation. Needless to say I think the ones which capture the essence better will be the higher scoring shots.
  4.  permalink
    Or the ones with the bigger tits.
  5.  permalink
    Or the ones with Johnny Depp.
  6.  permalink
    A shot of Johnny Depp with tits would break the rating system, because people would try to give it an 11.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    This indeeed is an uploading contest. A new sidequest will follow after that, and I already know which theme that will be.
    Which shots would be according to the winning theme would indeed be open to your interpretation, if you think the shot is pushing boundaries, you can always add a shout with a bit of a explanation.
  7.  permalink
    I think it should be a rule that uploaders remark what sin/virtue it is, and maybe define the virtues beforehand, if that topic gets chosen. Just to avoid confusion and endless discussions. ;)
  8.  permalink
    Ok so if I understand correct, everyone can upload a snapshot of -for example- seven deadly sins/seven holy virtues (if this is the winner in the poll) and then the best ones will go to FF? Never heard of a contest like this before... so you can see how active I have been the last year in the uploading department :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    i think i got the sins pretty well covered. What's virtues ;-)?
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2010 edited
    You understand wrong, SilverBullet :P

This poll decides the theme of the next contest. Then there will be a week in which the contest is announced, two weeks of uploading and two weeks of solving. Then the best rated top 10 shots, and the top 10 highest solvers will get some awesome uploads, and both top 3 will get morabilia.

EDIT:
    And to be complete, the seven deadly sins are:
    Wrath
    Greed
    Sloth
    Pride
    Lust
    Envy
    Gluttony

The seven holy virtues are:
    Chastity (as opposed to Lust)
    Temperance (as opposed to Gluttony)
    Charity (as opposed to Greed)
    Diligence (as opposed to Sloth)
    Patience (as opposed to Wrath)
    Kindness (as opposed to Envy)
    Humility (as opposed to Pride)
  9.  permalink
    Isn't 2 weeks of uploading a bit long? 10 days should do the job...
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    2 weeks makes it a nice round number, so every new contest thing will begin on a saturday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    @silverbullet

FF is not involved at all, this contest will take place in the vault, seperate from the normal game.

http://whatthemovie.com/vault
    :)
  10.  permalink
    Ok so the FF part I made up apparently :) ... but in those two weeks everyone can upload sins/virtues snapshots in new submissions?
  11.  permalink
    ow wait, didnt see you there mooch
  12.  permalink
    No. In the "Upload a new snapshot" screen, you can select the Vault option whenever there's an upload contest running.
  13.  permalink
    Aaaaaaaah now I understand... wow I just felt my IQ plummet about 50 points....
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    hint: you need to be ready with your uploading when the contest begins silverbullet

only one shot from a movie in the contest
    if you are not fast enough the movie, probably is taken

I already got a gluttony shot ready for uploading
    the other two I don't know yet
  14.  permalink
    Thanks for the tip ;)
    • CommentAuthorjoma
    gluttony? hope its not the same movie as i got! but I will be faster :P

why is everyone assuming the sins/virtues are goning to win anyway? I didn't vote for it and have prepared two shots already^^

another thing, how many shots can everyone upload? usual amount, 2 for "normal" people 3 for supporters?
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Yes, the usual amount.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010 edited
    If the sin/virtues is winning the poll, should the uploaders indicate to which sin(s) and/or virtue(s) each shot is dedicated, or should the players find it themselves ?
    Could you prepare a special memorabilia for the shot containing the most sins+virtues a single shot ?

I know the poll is still open, but the cats & dogs supporters should wake up :)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010
    No special memorabilia, but the chance your shot is rated higher improved with the amount of sins/virtues in it, I think... :P
    And if you want to indicate what it's dedicated to: go ahead, but I don't think it will be necesary. If the mods are not sure if it fits the theme, we will leave a shout.
    • CommentAuthorDansie
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010 edited
    My top 3:

1. tears and strong emotions
    2. creepy animals
    3. seven sins and virtues

i like reflections and splitscreens too,
    landscapes and eyes could be too random in my opinion..
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010
    I dig Seven Deadly Sins & Seven Holy Virtues

Offers the most freedom and hopefully results in a broad variety of different kinds of shots.
    Coffee and Cigarettes, Landscapes, etc will look really cool but can be boring when looking at 150+ shots.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2010 edited
    AND THE WINNER IS! Seven deadly sins and seven holy virtues.

The Rules:
    - Only one shot per film
    - Uploading starts saturday March 6th at 20.00 CET
    - Solving starts saturday March 13th at 20.00 CET
    - Solving ends saturday March 27th at 20.00 CET
    - All the normal rules for uploading shots count (original DVD, no direct to TV, etc.)
    - No sharing of hints!

Rewards as usual for contests.

And to be complete, the seven deadly sins are:
    Wrath
    Greed
    Sloth
    Pride
    Lust
    Envy
    Gluttony

The seven holy virtues are:
    Chastity (as opposed to Lust)
    Temperance (as opposed to Gluttony)
    Charity (as opposed to Greed)
    Diligence (as opposed to Sloth)
    Patience (as opposed to Wrath)
    Kindness (as opposed to Envy)
    Humility (as opposed to Pride)

Pick a shot that has a CLEAR connection with at least one of these things.

Good luck!
    • CommentAuthorjoma
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2010
    First: Thanks for the explanation and the effort you are putting in.

Second: Why does uploading start next week and not today? Was hoping to place my shots right about now...
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    So people may prepare their shots. That way everyone has the same chance of being first uploader in a particular movie, and not people who expected this theme to win.
    • CommentAuthorjoma
    I suppose you are right... But it was kind of obvious which theme would win. One more week to find even better shots then...
    • CommentAuthorSika
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010
    Just one question:
    What do you mean by CLEAR connection?
    The connection must be visually obvious to anyone (even though they don't know the movie)?
    Or can I upload a snapshot that has a clear connection if you know the context of the shot?
    If it's the former, then I doubt we will have many snapshots depicting temperance or patience.
    On the other hand, such snapshots would be extra awesome.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    The shot itself needs to have a connection to the theme, from whatever movie it comes doesn't matter. So if you have a very polite and tender love story-movie, but there is some fat person stuffing himself with lots of food in the background of a single frame, it still counts as gluttony, even though the film doesn't have that subject. On the other hand, a shot of a great skyline with a sunrise or something from a movie that is all about one of the sins or virtues, doesn't count, because the shot itself doesn't have anything connecting it with the theme.

If people are in doubt if their shot qualifies, you can always leave a shout at it while uploading, and we will let you know if the shot is accepted or not (as soon as possible, so you can upload a new one). You might even upload it some place else, leave me a shout on my profile and I will take a look.
  15.  permalink
    Pro skills to anyone who manages all seven sins or virtues in a single shot. Double pro skills to anyone who manages all 7 sins /and/ all seven virtues in one shot.
    • CommentAuthorlnatbnf
    If I can make a suggestion : 2 weeks of solving is too long.... The first and last time we did it (the Draw your movie contest), it's badly degenerated...
    Before that, we had one week and it was just fine.....
    • CommentAuthorramses
    what is the - if there is any - limit for uploads per user?

@Asmodai: I think Sika wanted to ask if for for instance a shot like this http://whatthemovie.com/shot/57101 qualifies as "wrath". In context of the movie, it's obviously "wrath", but you don't see anyone raging or smth similar on that pic. So if you don't know the movie, you just see a gun... no connection to "wrath" or any other deadly sin/holy virtue.
    Imo that shot would qualifies as "wrath".
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    I dont agree, this should be clearly seen in the shot in my opinion, this is not about the movie but about the shot ;)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    And as I explained, it doesn't. As Chrisy said, this is about the shot, not the movie.

I think 2 weeks of solving is fine for a normal contest, because there are way more shots than a sidequest. Draw the movie just degenerated because of other reasons, and almost right from the start. I will repeat though:
    SHARING HINTS IS NOT ALLOWED!

The limit of upload per user is 2 for non-contributors and 3 for contributors.