Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.  permalink
    @naut

This is definitely not about winning!
    Being frustrated because you can't solve a snap is not the same than being frustrated because ALL your snaps have been rejected in a row.

We're talking about the uploading situation.
    You don't win anything. You can't even possibly reach the top uploaders 20 (which is not my goal anyway).

So why the frustration?
    It's a quizz game. Not an uploading game!
    If suddenly you decide each uploader of the SotD wins 5 awesome uploads, it would be some sort of uploading game…

We, the players, have to feed the quizz game.
    So why do we spend time to upload shots?

To me, it's about contributing to the game.
    To bring diversity. To introduce rare movies. To find a difficult snap from a famous movie. To get a beautiful shot. To feed the database. And so on…

I've made an experiment last month.
    I exclusively uploaded well known Disney snaps.
    Bingo! I was back in FF along with everybody!
    A well known Disney snap worths an average 7:50 ratings.
    A difficult Disney snap worths an average 6:90 ratings.

So what's the point?
    If I really wanted to have many snaps reaching FF, all I have to do is to upload EASY snaps.
    Like POC, LOTR, Harry Potter, all superheroes flicks and Hollywood blockbusters.

I say the frustration must come from the quizzing game NOT from the uploading process.
    Uploading is about contribution and sharing.

Again: it's no problem for me to have snaps rejected as long as some make it on regular basis.
    Then I don't work for nothing: there's some kind of natural selection.
    But when ALL your snaps are rejected in a row, you suddenly feel very bad.

And it happens to most of us.

The problem here is more profound than a couple of technical adjustements.
    You have to keep the uploaders happy without overfeeding the game.

There's 1000 ideas to change the voting system.
    Like buying AUs with WTM bucks or giving one AU per uploader each week.

You guys know better than me since you're the creators but you have to clear the frustration, the anger, all bad feelings during the uploading process.
    It will bring a positive mood to the community.

1. No more voting 1 debates.
    Choosing a snap is subjective. Some like a shot, some don't. So what? It's about quizzing.

2. No more sense of being rejected.
    Each player participate to the game without feeling out of the game.

I'm sure that clearing the judgmental aspect during the uploading process would bring to the game more diversity, more sense of sharing, more sense of contributing.
    Hey! It's all about love right?
  2.  permalink
    Well if we let all the obscure movies or really difficult shots go to the FF then the uploaders would be happy but how about the solvers? I've been in the top20 for 2 years now but I can't solve more than 50% of the shots as it is.
    Put yourself into the position of a guy/girl who can only solve like 10% of the shots now. If we let all the unsolvable movies through then what's the point of playing the game? People will grow tired of solving 1 shot out 50.
  3.  permalink
    Are you kidding me?
    You're kidding me!

The game became easier than last year.
    I solve most of the shots without thinking now. And I'm sure you do too.

The point is not to let obscure movies flooding the game.
    The point is to make sure uploaders don't feel frustrated during the uploading stage.

Here is another idea.
    Say you keep the voting system as it is.
    If 10 of your snaps have been rejected in a row you automatically get one awesome upload for your efforts.

It doesn't mean you're going to upload a shot from a 70's scandinavian movie.
    It means you're going to upload a snap you like from a movie you like (and you own).
    It also means you will not feel rejected from the uploading process.

And don't forget people will continue to upload snaps from famous movies.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010 edited
    If I may add, there are already plenty rare and old movies making it to the FF on a daily basis and looking at it, there is already a big diversity. I agree that it must be frustrating, I agree that maybe something should be done to improve the voting system but we can't just give favoritism based on the number of shots people try in the new submission, imagine someone who post always bad quality (we all know that they dont always get deleted!) or head shots... And we can also not do this based on who the uploader is. I personally never know who the uploader is when I select the shots to push through. This is a matter of principle because I do not want to be influenced in any way. There are many factors that make me decide which shot to move to FF or not, but who is the uploader is is not one of them.
    And even if I think your ideas Palahniuk007 are good in theory, I still believe having a first line selection is a good thing and giving too many AU away and too easilly is a door open to many bad shots in FF
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010
    I'm 100% with Chrisy on this.
  4.  permalink
    I agree with you two.

I don't question the diversity: I discovered movies I didn't know in WTM (like The American Astronaut Chrisy uploaded once and many more like the Human Centipede ;-)
    I don't question the selection by the mods: thank God you're here!
    I don't even question the selection process. It's some kind of natural process.

I question the frustration behind the uploading stage when too many of your snaps have been rejected.

Hell no! It's not about favoritism.
    It's more about equality.

Here is another idea.
    We keep the voting system as it is.
    Now I don't know if it's possible because I'm no progammer.

Two solutions:

1. The mods have access to some sort of quota page showing the uploaders snaps who reached FF.
    Imagine Office911 had only 4 snaps who made it last month and Palahniuk 15 snaps. You push a couple of Office911 snaps and Palahniuk will just have to pray in NS Zone!
    It might be some more work for you, the hell I know. It's just ideas.

2. It's automatically done by the bot.
    Every 24 hours, the bot select 3 uploaders who didn't get through according to a certain quota of rejections.

Now the bad quality snaps and head shots can be easily fixed.
    First it has to be said clearly during the uploading process (with a link showing examples of bad quality snaps and head shots).
    Plus the mods can delete them (too much work maybe) shouting the link onto the uploader's wall.

I'm telling you: there's thousands of ideas.
    The question is: do we want to end the frustration during the uploading stage?
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    These quotas solutions means we have to consider who posted the shot, I dont think this is a good thing, it should remain about the shot, I would even be more in favor to keep them anonymous for a period of time, because it is not about who posted it or the performance of that uploader. We have the possibility now to see how many shots already exists for a movie, and this is a good thing because we can concentrate as much as possible on the movies that dont have much shots yet. And this is something very good to improve the quality of the site and its diversity. It really wouldn't influence me to know if someone have had more shots going through than another, maybe there was a reason why they didn't make it.... (I'm not saying there always is). I'm looking at the shot, nothing else! And having this quota automatic would be worse, Imagine when someone always post shots from very famous movies and his shots still never make it or always bad quality stuff...
    The problem about the risk of having more bad shots going through to FF is indeed a lot more maintenance from our side, and also a lot more complaints, because people would be pissed that we delete them without waiting for the 5 votes cause let's be clear, we would delete those. When I see all the bad ones in the new submission which remains without votes for deletion, I'm very happy that the system does the trick and that they will just go away on their own.
  5.  permalink
    "The game became easier than last year"
    I used to solve 70% of the shots in the FF and now I'm stuck between 50 and 55% so no I don't think the game became easier...

The frustration behind the uploading stage when too many of your snaps have been rejected is just a phase. If too many of your snapshots have been rejected since a year, you' wouldn't be frustrated anymore because you got used to it. You're frustrated because your shots used to go to FF and now since a couple of weeks they don't. But if you go on uploading you'll see it's just an unlucky streak and it won't last ! Believe an old uploader lol^^
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    totally agree with you Theoffice911, if we look at the percentage of solving in the hall of fame, it is quite obvious that the game became harder, not easier, mainly because a lot more older and not so famous movies make it nowadays.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    kinoute: let’s get in touch.
    Join us on IRC when you have the time.
  6.  permalink
    @theoffice911
    I agree with you. I would lie if I don't.
    Hell yeah! I'm frustrated.

@Chrisy
    You're right again.
    So the voting system is not a bad thing after all.

But still!
    We're swimming into subjective zone here.
    The snap Doooom is crazy about is not necessarily the snap Fnick is crazy about.
    For many reasons: Fnick didn't see the movie (and he doesn't know it's a key shot), Fnick hates B/W stuff (which is not true), Fnick finds the shot uninteresting, etc…

And he's right. Like Doooom.
    It's subjective.

Like the movies: some adore 2001, some don't. Movies (and the shots we're playing with) are a subjective experience.

Now.
    To me, it's not about WHO posted the shot.
    It's about keeping all uploaders happy.

If someone considers Jonah Hex the ultimate movie ever made, so be it!
    Soon or later he'll see his beloved close-up shot of Megan Fox's feet reaching FF.

Seriously.
    We know uploading a snap represents work.

I browsed many times through other uploader's rejected snaps and I saw great snaps.
    I say it's not fair when someone sees his snaps rejected all the time (or in a 2 or 3 weeks row).

There should be a cool solution to ease that frustration and give some kind of recognition to the uploader.
    This is what I feel and that's it! Only the creators and WTM staff can do something about it --- or not!

Now.

I'm going to talk about me because Office911 read me through. I'm a human being after all! I'm all emotional here!
    I'm not going to upload anything for some times because I hate the frustration behind the rejecting process.
    Having a snap accepted each week makes me happy. Having 3 snaps after 3 snaps rejected in a row makes me angry.
    I'm no masochist! Why would I continue to work uploading snaps knowing that risk now?
    I don't want to experience this feeling a second time even if it's an unlucky streak! I'm no fool!

:-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorCHILI
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/121522
    a shot rated 7.26 doesn't get through ?
    wtf is wrong with WTM ?
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    •  
      CommentAuthorCHILI
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010
    yeah, i've already read that before.
    must have been a pretty strong 24 hours when 7.26 gets rejected.
    i will definitely repost it after the 2 weeks waiting time.
    still it's frustrating to already get your 16th shot rejected.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010 edited
    FYI, right now, in NS, there are 66 shots rated higher than 7.26...
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    yep, i think if you want your shot to be pushed by the bot, it has to be between 7,60 and 8, depends of the day and the shots obviously.

naut> ok, i'll catch you on IRC in the following days!
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Animated movies in FF:
    12/11 : 10 over 56
    13/11 : 11 over 46
    14/11 : 6 over 18 so far
    Much more than in real life !
    Btw I did not notice that the FF had reduced so much. It is a good point but it can explain the disapointments.
    Only 22 shots pushed by the mods on 13/11 !

I globally agree with Pala: something has to be changed otherwise some regular uploaders may quit uploading (including me).
    I think that reducing the input flow could be a good change: 1 upload every 2 days for regular users and 2 uploads for supporters.
    Then add an alternative way of earning awesome uploads just being an active user without being in the top solvers could
    encourage us.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    Yeah, you could gain AU by uploading title shots and by helping the community in some ways ?:D!
  7.  permalink
    Yup.

What Efji, Razzo, Chili and most of us say is this:
    we need some independence with our choices.

See?

The quizz game only depends of the movies we know.
    If we feel a little bit frustrated because we can't solve what seems an easy or familiar snap, it's okay (especially in The Vault).

It's just a game.

But the current uploading system is HIGHY frustrating.
    Your work, your choices, are completely at the mercy of:

- Anonymous voters
    - A bot (which terrorized me! Does he --- think?)
    - And mods who actually possess a good taste but cannot possibly please everyone.

Plus you don't win anything: so uploading a snap is definitely not a game! It's only about feeding the game.
    So the game has to be fed by the players but during this process the players feel bad.

That's a pretty much masochistic situation if you ask me!

So that's why we should have more independence.
    As I said before, a snap is just a snap. Ultimately, they're all good when you can solve them…
    As long as the snap is of good quality and don't show a head shot, what's the problem?

It's about movies right?
    I don't mind POC, Bergman and Uncle Walt snaps!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I understood the problem of the WTM Team is to not overfeed the game.
    I'm no mathematician but let me rebound on Efji's ideas.

If we drop the voting system and if we give an equal amount of AUs to every players, could it solve two problems at the same time?
    The Frustration Problem + the Overfeeding Problem?

Could we gain total independency during this process?
    The hell I know! It's just ideas.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfnick
    What a chance to throw in another stupid idea:

Once you have proofed that you are able to upload acceptable shots by yourself - maybe after a certain amount of shots got accepted or you are a top 50 uploader - you get a new feature: if your three slots are free you can either do it the old way and send 3 pics to NS. Or, if you really love a specific shot, you can spend all three slots at once posting one shot directly to FF. Them slots will be blocked for 48 hours (or 2 slots for 72 hours for non-supporters).

I think it is a fair deal since you could theoretically get up to 6 shots to FF in 48 hours, but you got the risk of no shot making it to FF. If you choose this "extremely awesome" method you take one shot to FF without risk.

pros:
    * no big change in the system needed
    * no danger of bad shots since only experienced uploaders can do this
    * no danger of flooding FF because every shot means three shots less in NS for the next two days
    * frustrated resident players can enjoy one of their shots from an experimental b/w movie that made it in Cannes instead of leaving the game

cons:
    * see the following posts
  8.  permalink
    It's actually a good idea.
    I'm particularly seduce by the opportuny to upload the experimental b/w snap that made it in Cannes rather than uploading 3 Uncle Walt snaps for the sake to grab high ratings.

I already hear Office911 whining about the difficulty to solve this b/w snap: it can be Tetro or Antichrist's opening, you fool!

That's it!
    Uploading a snap has to be about contribution, sharing and pleasure.
    Uploading a snap shouldn't be about frustration!

If I wanna be frustrated, I just have to go to Cannes and watch all movies from the Official Competition.
    And I've done that many times: I want to see you try to enjoy a Lucien Pintillie's flick at 8:30 in the morning!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCHILI
    i think a challenge in getting to FF is NOT the root of the problem.
    the challenge actually is a good thing because it means you try harder to find the best shot of the movie.
    also it's like a game of it's own like a sidequest in the vault or like trying to get the most first solves is a game to some.
    i think the problem is that it seems to be way too hard.
    if you can't even get shots in that are rated 7 and above (which are really good shots judging by their rating), what can you get in ?
    you get the feeling you really have to find the PERFECT scene to get pushed by the bot.
    because if you just have a really great shot it's not enough to compete against the perfect ones.

the challenge makes sense in eliminating bad shots in favor of good shots (getting rid of of shots rated between 1 and 5.9 / keeping shots rated between 6 and 10)
    but it doesn't make sense in eliminating tons of real good shots because on that particular day some are slightly better (getting rid of shots rated between 1 and 7.9 / keeping shots rated between 8 and 10).
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    @CHILI
    You are too confident in the rating system. You can find many very good shots rated under 6, and many
    not so good shots over 8. There is a strong correlation between the rating and the number of solvers.
    Any Disney, Pixar, Mihazaki, LOTR, POC, is above 7.5 as soon as it is easy to solve.
  9.  permalink
    Efji is right (as always).

Again the voting system is totally subjective.
    I see shots rated 8 I'm not crazy about and I see shots rated 5 I find splendid.
    You can't possibly say that all shots rated 7 are good shots.

Tell me if I'm wrong but an easy snap to solve is always rated high.
    An easy snap worths 7 minimum. So I don't think a 7 ratings only translate its aesthetic or quality.

IT ALSO TRANSLATES ITS EASINESS.

I know I know I know: not all the time.

If you're into @RDPL55 material for example (uploading amazing stuff that most of the players don't know), you're doomed.
    You're nothing! You just have to rely on the good eyes of the mods. Without the mods, RDPL55 will be all alone at home watching his beloved flicks without the opportunity to make them known.

Like Efji btw.

Say I go crazy on Ozu cinema. It will be game over for me in a blink of an eye.
    But if I turn ape for XMEN quadrilogy, it's red carpet baby!

I know there's a lot of exceptions.
    Like Chili's snap: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/121522

At the end, the problem is always the same.
    Bad emotions are involved. It is called frustration.

Chili.

You're frustrated because your Coffin Snap went straight to the cemetary.
    So here you are: you put your DVD into your computer.
    You navigated through the movie. You grabbed your scene.
    You selected that precious snap knowing it's a difficult one.
    You eventually cut the black bars away and uploaded it.

Back to your wall.
    You checked from time to time the votes.

Bingo!

Your Christian Death Snap is actually flirting with a 7:50 ratings.
    You're a genius! You have the --- nose! You, Chili, know how to spot a good shot!
    You start to think you should have been a cinematographer or a film director.

But right now, you have between your golden hands a SURE WINNER.
    FF has no secrets for you! You're the Tarantino of WTM!

And one morning, you don't find your snap.
    You lost the Dead Guy Snap.

Horror!

You realize YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S DEAD.
    Like Bruce Willis on the stairs in a movie I vaguely recall.

YOU'VE BEEN TERMINATED.

What was the point of all that?
    You just wanted to share a shot you like from a movie you like.

And you've been punished for that!

Some anonymous geeks behind their computers and a bot with no feelings decided your fate.
    So what are you going to do?

You say you're going to try to post it a SECOND TIME!
    Because you believe your snap is grand as you believe the anonymous voters and the terrifying bot are going to praise your skills.

But in fact you're just playing Russian Roulette like in The Deer Hunter.

That's why we should put an end to those struggles.
    Kill the Bot! We want Independence like Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum!

If the system permitted Chili to upload his snap serenely, he would have been happy to present his unique Coffin Shot and I would have been curious to know what movie it is from.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCHILI
    i agree with everything you both said.
    people rate easy shots better than hard snaps.
    people rate beautiful shots 4 and bad shots 8.
    i get it, i've seen it many times before.

all i wanted to say is:
    don't completely abandon the competition (or the challenge) because it can actually help sorting out bad shots.

but of course the competition as it is has its flaws that need to be adressed.
    and i agree that the current system doesn't work too well for the uploaders (the reason why i 'cried out' in this thread after all) and needs a change of some sort.

maybe you could make the ability to rate a privilege combined with a certain rank just like only rank 9 can post replacement shots.
    but you would definitely need a harder restriction than the current "You are able to access this category with 50 Feature Film solves or more." which allows people to go to NS very early and also rate very early after signing up to WTM.

if you think about ratings on other sites (like IMDb) you would also need a way bigger number of ratings to get a more "objective" rating.
    ratings on IMDb with just 50 votes don't tell you anything helpful because 50 votes are not nearly enough to get the opinion of a broad group of audiences.
  10.  permalink
    @CHILI

You gave me an idea.
    Say we find a solution for everybody to get a certain amount of AUs per week or per month.
    We gain independence and we don't remember what the word "frustration" means.

But we keep the voting system as a VOTING GAME.
    Only one snap can make it per day!

And this snap will be the Snap of the Day.
    The winner gets one AU for his aesthetic skills and that's it.

It will be a competition for the best looking shot while the uploaders continue to feed the game with their restricted amount of AUs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCHILI
    but then you would still have ALL users being able to rate on what snapshot in the voting game is EASIEST to solve.
    and since everybody gets AUs there will be a lot of crap in the FF.
    i don't mind you getting AUs at all but remember there's also a large number of bad shots posted every day by other users.
    users shouldn't get AUs just for signing up to WTM.

since there is subjective/unfair rating going on in the NS you should either restrict the access to NS or the ability to rate itself.

maybe like still letting everybody into NS (as it is) so all users can still play the game in FF and NS.
    but at the same time restricting the ability to rate to all ranked LT or higher (or something like that).
  11.  permalink
    Chili.

Let's imagine everybody (from a rank to decide) gets a certain amount of AUs per week.
    Let's imagine the voting system becomes a DAILY VOTING GAME for SofD.

1. The AUs.
    I'm not sure people are going to upload "bad" snaps.
    Why? Because if you have a couple of AUs per week, you're going to think twice before uploading anything.
    Especially if a SPECIFIC page with EXAMPLES tells the player, during the uploading process, what WTM considers a bad shot: quality, head shot, generic shots, black bars etc…
    Especially if we remind the player the existence of the deletion vote button with no possibility to get his AU back.

People are not stupid! I see intelligence everywhere!
    You just have to educate new comers.

2. AUs again. You're right and I've read this many times: newcomers should earn some access.
    It's a gaming experience. New players shouldn't vote straight away (they don't know yet the frustration behind this) and shouldn't get their weekly AUs as cable monk.
    No. The New Players would have to upload at least 10 or 20 snaps in the VOTING GAME. They definitely have to gain some experience before uploading AUs.

3. If you consider a VOTING GAME, I'm not sure an easy snap will be automatically the winner.
    Curiously, I've seen many SofD with a poor amount of solves. The VOTING GAME would not be about the quizz anymore (only one snap per day!). It would be about the best looking shot.

Plus we keep the Awful Bot happy.
    • CommentAuthorfabster
    I'm around since the early beginnings of WTM, when any uploaded shot would be checked by the creators manually. Back then there was some kind of "difficulty guideline" that had to be followed, if you wanted your shot to get through. It basically said that shots from not so well-known movies should feature iconic moments or at least little clues that could lead to a solution, while shots from better known films could also focus on more specific things or scenes. Like little sidegangs or something like that. I think it's about subtlety. That doesn't necessarily mean that there shouldn't be any more shots of the Black Pearl, Hogwarts or any random LOTR battle scene - but at least not in this quantity. What I consider an exception, though, are very iconic shots that kind of "define" a whole movie.

I really think the difficulty is kinda off-balanced lately. Every other shot is either from one of the big franchises or any random (computer-)animated movie. Some time ago somebody even uploaded 6 shots (or so) from the same movie in a row - I mean, what's the deal with that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCHILI
    @Palahniuk

to 1.:
    if you limit the weekly AUs to users that have a certain amount of upload experience or a certain rank then i think it could be a good way to get those aesthetic shots in that wouldn't get through the current rating system or the voting game.
    if you don't limit it in some way i fear explanation pages won't be enough to keep away bad shots.
    of course it would educate newcomers but it doesn't automatically give them 'the eye' for a good shot.

to 3.:
    i don't get how the users will change their subjective/unfair (whatever it is) rating habit when you change the NS to some kind of voting game.
    of course you could try and educate them again by saying "this is a side quest in search of the most aesthetic shot; vote for the snap that looks the best".
    maybe i'm just more pessimistic than you are but i think many users will still keep rating the shot by how easy it is (or how easy it will be if it gets to FF) or how big the explosion is.
    there already is an explanation (trying to educate) in the NS saying "don't rate the movie, rate the awesomeness of the shot" but people don't care, some uploaders still rate competing shots 1 because they want to get theirs in and users still rate easy-to-solve shots better than others instead of truely rating 'the awesomeness of the shot'.
  12.  permalink
    @fabster
    You're completely right.

It would be cool to reach the level of subtlety you mention. It would be --- art.
    I'm 100% with you.

But the game is a community game. Everybody wants to join the feast.
    Everybody wants to see his snap reaching FF. Nobody wants to feel frustrated doing that.

That's basically my point here.

Whatever the team decides to do, we'll always have blockbusters snaps in majority and confidential or old movies in minority.
    Like the movies people see in real life.

I say we can trust someone, anyone, to upload an interesting snap if he/she knows what is at stake.
    And it does work very well inside The Vault (you know it because you're a Vault addict and you steal my AUs).

If everybody gets a certain amount of AUs each month, Feature Film would look like a huge Vault contest.
    And NS would become a daily voting competiting game for SotD.

@CHILI
    Yeah! Limit access to new players so they have the time to LEARN the game.
    The voting game would be their tryouts for uploading.
    Honestly? I don't know about THE EYE. I do understand what you mean but again, it's totally subjective.
    Someone who just lost his grandpa might not like your rejected Coffin Snap. ;)

I don't know if unfair voting would get in the way if we transform NS into a voting game.
    Look at the last Snaps of the Day: they're not particularly easy and quite interesting.

Don't you think?

133 solves: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/121360
    45 solves: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/121117
    24 solves: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/120857
    •  
      CommentAuthorCHILI
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2010 edited
    yeah, they're all deserved SotDs.
    the mysterious formula seems to work just fine.
    but all the other shots that aren't quite rated as good don't get the treatment of the formula.
    all other shots have to either pass the bot or hope that a mod likes them.

and i don't know if the voting game would solve the problem with the frustration.
    of course you could use an AU if you just want to feed the game without having to go through the NS/VG (voting game).
    but since i somehow like the competition in the NS i personally think i would post to VG rather than to FF via AU.
    and picking only one snapshot per day from the NS/VG rather than 60ish would just leave even more people frustrated.
    because i think that a lot of people would still post to NS/VG in hope of achieving a SotD.

i don't know.
    i have no idea what would work out well.
    somehow i like putting my shots to the test and going through the competition of the ratings.
    but on the other hand the rating system is abused by some users as you and efji said and getting really good shots rejected just frustrates.

so yes, i would like to see the NS system change but without totally abandoning the competition.
    • CommentAuthorfabster
    Just did a bit of linear regression and came up with this:

The correlation coefficient is +0,46 (on a scale from -1,00 to +1,00, 0,00 meaning that there is no correlation), which implies that the number of solves and the ratings are at least correlated noticeably. I only used a sample of size n=140 (the shots that have been in the new submissions for at least 24h hours), though. And of course, this data doesn't prove that there is a causal connection between solves and ratings. Nonetheless, it still holds a certain implication.

A thing I would especially like to point out: It seems that well-known shots almost never get poor ratings. On the other hand, not so well-known shots sometimes manage to score high.
    • CommentAuthoricemotion
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2010
    Throwing in a few coppers here.. but it seems that certain types of snaps tend to get high ratings.. easy ones, but to me it also seems a lot of times that any type of boob shot scores high points.. not that I generally mind nudity mind, but some of those shots seem to merely score high because there are boobs.

Of course, such things, as always are a thing subject to taste. Voting systems.. especially on relatively small sites such as WTM (how many members are there? Really easy snaps generally get about what.. 1600 solves? Tend to be biased either way. There will always be friend-politics (not directed at the mods, but if someone has a lot of friends on WTM I'd say their snaps rate just a bit higher than the average joe)

Also what makes a bad shot? Bad quality, quality is also highly dependand on source material, movies from the last few years tend to look a lot slicker than those of say... 60 years ago. What is a generic shot? I see plenty of shots in FF which I consider generic. Head shots, a good portrait photograph is an art... some "head shots" are as well.. yet somehow.. because it features just a head those shots seem to drop a full point just because of that. (Especially if it's a lesser known movie)

Another site I used to be on also used a voting system based on a 10 star rating system.. which was also highly manipulative and disliked. It was kind of the same as here, getting high ratings on this site meant your photograph would be highly visible on the site. Getting a shot accepted into the FF means a lot more people will see it as I think the majority of the players hardly ever leaves the FF and archive.

The other site? They changed their voting system.. to a simple "Yes / No" system. Like or don't like. Maybe it's an option for WTM. Maybe not, but there will always be situations where you contribute something to a site like WTM and feel frustrated because it never reaches the majority of the sites members.
    •  
      CommentAuthortorqu3
    shots with boobs gets to FF..ofc..
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    Nice work, Fabster!
  13.  permalink
    Fabster! Now I understand why you're a Vault Wiz! :-)
    Your wonderful graph confirms what we're talking about:

- Most of the time, a high rated snap translates its solving easiness.

What does it mean?

It's a human reaction. It's a survival thing.

1. The uploader doesn't want to feel frustration.
    He doesn't want to be rejected from the community.
    So he uploads a snap from a well known movie and increases his chances to be accepted by the community.

I did it last month flooding NS with Disney snaps and it worked.

2. The solver wants to collect points.
    He doesn't want to be the weaker element of the community.
    So he rates high a snap he can solve.

He also rates it high because he felt a tiny pleasure to solve the snap.

I mean if we could possibly do the same experience with rats laboratory, we'll end up with the same results!

What I'm saying is this:

IT'S ALL ABOUT SURVIVAL AND EMOTIONS.
    And it's all about being part of a community.

Nothing abnormal so far.
    But what I don't understand is this: to stay with the community, you have to go through a frustration process --- on regular basis.

So let's say THE COMMUNITY IS A TRIBE.
    Beware: the WTM TRIBE has very strange customs!

The tribe has to be fed.
    So you have to bring food.
    And when you bring food, you say to yourself: if I can eat this thing, they can eat it. It's delicious: they're gonna like it.

The tribe selects what can be eaten and what cannot (now it's confusing because your food is eatable! You tasted it yourself!).
    Then a robot without soul comes out from a cave and choose what the community considers the best dish (usually cheeseburgers over sushis but not all the time because there's the Chaos Theory).
    And the tribe throws out the food the robot didn't choose!!!

And you --- yes: you! who wanted to feed the tribe --- you're out of the feast!

ISN'T IT A CRAZY BEHAVIOUR?
    Thank God this tribe is not a cannibal tribe!
    Because the robot will be left all alone inside his cave at the end of the game.

Now.

Say the tribe suddenly wakes up and says: we throw food away for nothing, everybody is unhappy and the robot is senseless.
    The tribe comes up with a new concept: the sharing.

The sharing!?!
    Was it the black monolith they spotted one morning next to the firecamp who tossed them the idea?
    We will never know.

Anyway.
    The tribe says: each one of us is going to bring his OWN food and we're going to share it.
    Everybody will be happy. And yes! We'll still have cheeseburgers in profusion.
    We keep important rules like: the food has to be of good quality.
    Rules drawn on a rock: little images showing what food we don't like for the new comers.

And the good news is this: we keep the robot to PLAY WITH!
    Each day, each one of us, can show his best dish to the community and the robot will select the very best one.
    The best dish will be praised during the feast at sunset.

Because somehow (as Chili pointed out) we want to keep the frustration emotion BUT ONLY for the sake of competitiveness.
    Which is not the case at the moment: uploading a snap is not about competition (nothing to win), it's a RANDOM SELECTION BRINGING FRUSTRATION FOR NOTHING (see how @torqu3 feels bad?).

@icemotion
    The Yes/No system is cruel to me.
    Plus I don't know if it will not overfeed the game.
    Saying no is far more difficult to say yes. Especially to a friend of yours. ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorCHILI
    LOL, nice story.
    sounds kinda nice if you put it that way.
    why throw good food away just because a robot said it wasn't good enough ?
    why not use common (human) sense to share and distribute the food that everybody brought to the feast ?

but i didn't mean to say i want to keep the frustration.
    i would like to keep the competitiveness while also getting rid of the frustration.
    if that is even possible.
    maybe if you can change the unfair/cruel rating habits you can keep the frustration level of the uploaders to a minimum.

maybe your idea would work. i don't know. it's hard to predict what might work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPalahniuk007
    Sharing is the key element.
    A community who doesn't share between itself is a community who's going to lose members.

It starts with wars (cheaters out there! bad attitude! unfair votings! I'm gonna crap this guy!), then the decline (too much frustration) and the quitting (I'm out of here!).

Right now this is how I feel.

Look. I wanted to organize a CHRISTMAS CONTEST in Palahniuk's Play-Zone right after the Draw The Movie 2 contest.
    I mean I prepared everything: the announcement, the rules, the examples… Everything.

Even a phony snap for FF!

Since it was a Christmas Contest, I wanted to be as generous as Father Christmas: 8 WINNERS for a full 12 months resident status!
    Why 8? Because the white bearded guy has 8 reindeers. It's petty cash for the team but a good thing to secure non resident players and develop alternate exchanges between us.

But suddenly, during two weeks, I saw all my snaps rejected.
    Even if I know it's NOT personal, I'm taking it personally.
    Because I'm from planet Earth.
    I come from a species who feel what they call emotions.
    And you can't control your emotions.

So here I was.
    Wondering why the hell I would be generous if the game itself is not generous to anyone.

Again, this is not about me, myself and I.
    I don't ask NOTHING in return: I like to give away my money! It feels good.

The problem is more profound: it's a PHILOSOPHICAL PROBLEM.
    It's more about CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY if you're still with me.

Here is a well-conceived game with a flaw.
    The Mighty Creators didn't see it coming. Of course every system has its flaws.

But the flaw is a major one: FRUSTRATION.
    A frustration you feel for nothing.

I can't compute that.
    Even a monkey would quit!
    But still, we keep the system going.
    Are we insane?

So I said to myself: do I really need this?
    Do I really want to encourage a system based on bad emotions?
    Giving away AUs like I wanted to do in PPZ was it a good move to make?
    Was I promoting something I'm against? Competitiveness for nothing, biased judgments, frustration?

THIS IS AN EXISTENTIAL QUESTION!
    And I'm not kidding.

I want to encourage positive emotions:

- Sharing
    - Sense Of Contribution
    - Pleasure
    - Feeling Integrated
    - Creativity

I'm a positive guy.
    I believe in Human Being.

Hell! I believe in Love!

So that's why I droped my Christmas Contest.
    That's why I stopped uploading.

And when you start doing that, you see yourself in FF solving snaps and you wonder: "why am I still solving snaps here?".
    "You're playing half the game". "What's the point of all this?".

Now read me clearly: I'M NOT CRITICIZING the work of the WTM team and the wonderful site the CREATORS made.
    They have my TOTAL RESPECT and they know it.

I just realized (and made the experience) there was too much frustration going on.
    Too much judgment. Too much negativity.

For what exactly?
    Uploading a movie snap for other people to solve it!

Is it worth it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCHILI
    well, you've at least convinced me.
    although i didn't give up uploading yet, other people (like you) did.
    and that mustn't be the goal of a rating system.
    there's definitely a change needed.
  14.  permalink
    Read my words: you WILL quit uploading.
    Soon or later.

Otherwise we will not be sitting in our comfortable chairs talking about it.

And when you quit uploading, you automatically quit solving a few days after.
    It's a chain reaction: and I'm living it as we speak!

But who cares?
    If one Palahniuk is out, maybe 10 new players come in!

I'm expandable!
    And it's fair enough.

So why the WTM team would do anything about it?
    If I were them (and knowing the work it represents) I'm not sure I'll revolutionize the game I invented because some guys are frustrated!

Read what Naut wrote a few days ago in this very thread: "there’s always gonna be frustration—if everybody would win, it wouldn’t be a game".
    I'm okay with him if he's talking about the Quizz. I don't agree if he's talking about NS.

Philosophical questions are great but it doesn't pay the bills. ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorCHILI
    yeah, i'm with you on nauts comment.
    i don't see the NS as the main game.
    not being able to solve all snaps is just normal and part of the quiz but not being able to have your uploaded shots on the site for longer than 48 hours is no fun at all.

as to quitting uploading i just hope it will get better so that i don't HAVE to quit.
    for now i just try to find snaps that are both aesthetic AND easy. that's the compromise i already had to make after only 3 weeks of uploading.
    and i hope it will get better for you and all the other frustrated uploaders too so you won't leave for good because a huge uploader like you is NOT expendable imo.
    • CommentAuthorfabster
    another thing i noticed: my awesome uploads (and those are quite a few, about ~18 of my last 20 shots) usually get higher ratings than most shots, that went through the new submissions. most of the time they'll end up with >8.00 ratings. what does that tell us? probably, that people tend to give higher and more honest ratings, when they're not corrupted by the possibility to vote down a shot they can't solve.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    I am agreeing with all of you

the best idea i heard so far
    is
    give AUs to other things than only the contest to motivate people not to quit uploading
    Always the same people are in the top solvers contest. You know before a contest. Who will be in the top 10.

my ideas
    * for every 10 accepted snapshots, you wil get 1 AU
    * you have SotD, you will get 1 AU
    * you wrote 10 reviews, you will get 1 AU
    * you crapped 10 Pala shouts, you will get 1 AU ;)
    * you replaced 5 shots, you will get 1 AU
    * you uploaded 10 title shots, you will get 1 AU
    * you uploaded 25 character shots, you will get 1 AU
  15.  permalink
    * you solved RDPL55's shots, you will get 1 AU
  16.  permalink
    @CHILI

I'm quitting right now.
    And I'm not doing the Diva.

Look.
    I already was a movie-addict before I could spell my own name.

The WTM experience is about movies we know and movies we don't know yet.
    Being around permits me to discover flicks or to rewatch flicks I forgot.

It should be all about pleasure and exchange.
    I don't want to whine each time a snap is rejected.

BECAUSE THIS IS ABSURD!
    I took the Red Pill. Now I see.

I'd rather watch a movie instead of uploading 3 snaps for (almost) nothing!
    I'm not contributing to the vast frustration going on!

I'm no fool!
    I'm too old for this!

@fabster
    Of course, your AUs get better ratings.
    It's because we THINK TWICE before uploading an AU.

Because in AU you have the word AWESOME.
    Instinctively, the uploader knows he has to launch something awesome.

Even a theme series.

I definitely trust the eye of any uploader with short experience.
    We all come here because we love movies. We all have THE EYE.

The Vault is the truth!

@LordMyst & @theoffice911
    LOL! I was wondering why you two didn't react yet!
    I say your ideas are great!
    •  
      CommentAuthortorqu3
    one players shots can't reach FF in 2 weeks..and other get 3 magically accepted shots in one day..wouldn't it have been better if only one shot from 3 different players was magically accepted?
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    @Pala
    What's your name in real life ?
    Jesus ??

You're a genius !
    Some parts of your talk remind me http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081176/ which is even not referenced on WTM !!
    What a shame...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2010
    * you wrote 10 reviews, you will get 1 AU

oh I'm behind that idea:D
    • CommentAuthoricemotion
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2010
    Torqu: I've read in this thread before from one of the moderators that they look primarily at the shot, not at who uploaded it when deciding to push it forward to the FF. Which is as it should be if you ask me.