Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2010 edited
    REPLACEMENT SHOTS

What it's all about: Replacing shots that have something wrong with fixed ones.
    What it's not: Turning good looking shots into better looking shots.
    Who can do it: Cinematographers or higher

Shots that should be replaced:
    - Not from DVD shots (but sometimes it's not easy, since promo shots may actually not be taken from any scene of the movie)
    - Low quality shots (if you can see macroblocking, lots of artefacts, color in a meant-to-be B&W shot...)
    - Distorted shots (stretched/squeezed)
    - Shots with black bars
    - Shots with anything that's not part of it (colored lines around...)
    - Cropped shots (for instance, some users crop 2.35:1 movie shots to make them fill the whole 720x400 WTM frame, they should NOT)

What shouldn't be replaced:
    - Perfectly OK DVD shots (even if your Blu-ray shot looks better)
    - Shots from official 4:3 DVD releases (even if an OAR shot is always better)

What *can* be replaced (even they shouldn't be replaced, based on what's above):
    - Shots of YOURS you're not happy with (you'll need to explain why though)

The "replaceplease" tag:
    - Use it for shots that SHOULD be replaced.
    - If it's not obvious, add a shout or tag to explain WHY it should be replaced.
    - You can tag "replaceplease" some of YOUR OWN shots. Then you MUST explain why in a shout below the shot.
    - If you want to replace shots, focus on this list first http://whatthemovie.com/search?t=tag&q=replaceplease

When you have replaced a shot:
    - Leave a shout below the shot to explain WHY the shot was updated (= what was wrong with the original shot).
    - Remember to remove the "replaceplease" tag, if any.
    - If you are not sure whether a shot should be replaced, contact the original uploader or a mod and show them the replacement shot you have ready, BEFORE replacing the current shot.

Replacement shots should be presented with the original theatrical aspect ratio.
    And of course:
    - their quality should be at least as high as the original shot's,
    - you MUST take them from your own discs, just as any other WTM shot.

If you find a replacement that doesn't match these guidelines (wrong aspect ratio, ...), please contact mods.

One last thing: You must ALWAYS try to do the EXACT same shot (use the frame by frame feature of your DVD software).
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2010
    Good summary MrZob, as usual !

But I don't agree with

"What shouldn't be replaced:
    - Shots from official 4:3 DVD releases (even if an OAR shot is always better)"

If a good dvd exists, why keep the shots from a bad one ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    You can always ask the poster if they agree to replace it, but there is no rule against the 4:3 releases, so also no reason to replace them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    @Zythux
    Rules are rules (I don't like them...) but cinema loving and respect of the authors are different things. If a director chooses a particular aspect ratio, it becomes part of his work. If a merchant takes it to make money without respecting the original aspect ratio, I cannot agree. If another merchant gives me the opportunity to correct my vision of a movie, I am grateful.

Take this example (it is not a masterpiece, but I didn't find one): http://whatthemovie.com/movie/american_history_x/snapshots
    You can clearly see 2 types of dvd. The good one and the bad one. Which one is more respectful ? And what is the 4:3 version of this shot http://whatthemovie.com/shot/80005 ? :)

PS: I wanted to give a stunning example and I typed "joconde" in google image. The result is very funny and not respectful at all :)
    Rules are made to be broken !
  1.  permalink
    It's not uploader's fault if he got the 4:3 version but it really looks way nicer in better AR, so I'm up for asking permission from the uploader...
    Picture says more than words so just look at this: the version I have:

and the one I posted thanks to fungus
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/104934
  2.  permalink
    Are you allowed to replace a 4:3 shot you uploaded yourself with a 16:9 shot, though? Specific example: I uploaded http://whatthemovie.com/shot/50034 , but since then I have gotten a widescreen version of the DVD, so it would be easy enough for me to replace it, and since it's my own shot, I wouldn't be pissing anyone off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2010
    Yes, it's ok to replace then. I think it's also ok to replace other 4:3 shots but not before asking the original uploader if he/she agrees.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2010
    Yes, you can update your own shots to identical but better-looking and OAR shots.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2010
    There are still a lot of "replaceplease" tags showing up without any explanation.
    Those tags will be removed.
    • CommentAuthoragonistes
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2010 edited
    This one has the replaceplease tag http://whatthemovie.com/shot/63889
    Here's the shot I just took, do you think the update is worth it? I'm leaning towards "not worth it", as there is almost no difference, aside from some color differences and minor black bars.

If you think it's worth it I can replace it.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2010
    Neh, not worth it.
    • CommentAuthorshalev
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2010
    Pan & scan is an awful thing, IMO. Many movies I'd rather not watch at all than watch cut up. I think it's much worse then low quality because you never know what you're not seeing.

Here's Sydney Pollack's take on it:
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2010
    Yeah, I *hate* pan&scan releases (I even hate unmatted releases). But they are official releases, they are legit.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2010
    I just removed a whole bunch of replacementplease tags for Jackie Brown, on shots that were 4:3. Please do NOT tag shots from 4:3 releases if they are otherwise ok.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011
    And again a bump needed. The replaceplease tag is ONLY for old shots that are already in archive. When a shot has something wrong with it and is in NS, then please just vote delete.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011
    *shout rocks*
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2011 edited
    And again a bump needed. The replaceplease tag is ONLY for old shots that are already in archive. When a shot has something wrong with it and is in NS, then please just vote delete. Also, when it's not immediately clear what is wrong with the shot, add a reason to the replaceplease.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012
    Hey there... I have a question :)
    I would like to replace one of my own shots but seems like I don't have that function?
    So how does this work then?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZo0
    on the top of the page you can read
    "replacement Who can do it: Cinematographers or higher"
    maybe you are not a cinematographer!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    It's nowhere on the top of my page but thank you :)
    You're right, I'm not... was gone a long time ;)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    That's correct, the option (+ text) doesn't show up when you don't have that rank.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2013
    List of movies with the most shots that need to be replaced:

http://whatthemovie.com/page/replaceplease
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2013
    And please, check if you have the correct ratio before you start taking shots! And remember that the cover can claim you got one ratio, but the actual movie can be different.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2014 edited
    Bump for the list! (But not the ones I will do some day ;))
    • CommentAuthorgreyhound
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2016
    Today, I stumbled over a replaceplease for a shot from a user that hasn't been active for six years now.
    What to do in such a case?
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Is there something actually wrong with it, or would you need the users permission to replace it (upgrade quality, fix aspect ratio to intended but this one is also from disc, etc)?
    • CommentAuthorgreyhound
    It says "quality": #52217.
    I could provide a replacement-shot (having the DVD, and my shots from that disk never had any problems).
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    If you can go and replace it, that would be great. If it turns out that there is not so much difference (and therefore that the original shot maybe did come from DVD), we can always revert it.
    • CommentAuthorgreyhound
    Thanks! That's what I wanted to know beforehand.
    It's the same frame from a RC1-DVD (where the movie is from).
    • CommentAuthorgreyhound
    Done.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    @greyhoud
    Please, ALWAYS leave a shout below the replaced shot stating what was wrong with the original.
    • CommentAuthorPzy
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2020
    Hej,
    I don't know how to replace shots anymore. I usualy made a screenshot from the shot and put it into Photoshop then I put my replacement shot over it to see if it's the same frame. But since the screenshot function is disabled I'm helpless.
    What ways do you use?

Another point I wonder about is, when there is a blackline at a shot, I can't see it (maybe my monitor is too dark). The WTM background is dark and the blackline is dark.
    Is there a trick I can use to see the blackline or something?
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2020
    @Pzy
    You should be able to download shots from their movie page. Then you should be able to spot black lines through your usual image viewer. If not, the "Image Information" feature on Firefox works quite well.
    • CommentAuthorPzy
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2020
    Ah that's how you do it.
    Thank you MisterZob. :)