Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2011 edited
    Hey everyone,

The staff has realized that there are no clear guidelines for title shots. We have been thinking, and the following came out:

Title shots should preferably be presented in the original language (or english, if the the original language seems too hard to get).

For the Title Still: The first occurrence of the movie title in the movie. In some cases, this is only in the end credits, but this is also fine.

For "The End" Still, it is a bit more complicated, since there is a bit of variation in this per movie. The order of preference is as follows:
    1) "The End"/"Fin"/"To Be Continued", etc. (from the end of the movie only)
    2) 2nd occurrence of the title of the movie (*if* this is in the end credits, and the start title has a seperate shot)
    3) "Directed by..." (from the end credits only)
    4) "And they lived happily ever after" or any text of that kind (from the end of the movie only)
    5) "In loving memory of..." or similar (from the end of the movie only)
    6) Anything from closing credits, showing credits (cast, crew, ...)

Also, remember that this does NOT mean that you can't upload title shots as regular shots: if they are awesome and quiz-worthy, you are free to upload them via NS/awesome upload, and then assign the shot as soon as it hits the archive.

For title shots already in the system (and we mean shots uploaded as title shots, *not* shots assigned as title shots), the original uploader gets the chance to replace this shot, until sept. 1st, after which everybody can replace title shots that do not fit the guidelines. So please, do not tag any shot replaceplease, or replace them yourself, before this date.
    Archive shots that don't match the criteria above and have been assigned as title shots will be unassigned.

If there are any questions, your friendly neighbourhood mods are always around :)

Have fun!
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2011 edited
    First of all I think it's good that there are some guidance about this...up till now I almost did it like this automaticly, but sometimes I also let my feelings judge about the end shot. (when it was not clear, I always thought what would look best as an end shot and then upload it).

What to do in such a case for example:

There is already the same shot uploaded in the FF with the same background as the Cast and Crew one would have:

Now since the movie has no end still, no 2nd title, no "directed by" etc. I would have to upload the cast and crew one with the same background like the shot above (mine is just in a better quality)

So if I upload this, there would be almost 2 identical shots in the archive...just 1 with the cast and one without, which was uploaded before already by another user.

So from my feeling I thought there shouldn't be almost two identical shots in the archive, so I uploaded this one instead:

It's also from the closing credits but with some other picture to make it more diverse.

Would this be allowed or would I have to replace it with the cast and crew one?
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2011
    The shot you uploaded is OK by me, *BUT* the other one would have been OK too.
    There *will* be shots similarities between some Archive shots and some End Title shots. But that's OK, as long as the End Title shot was *not* an Archive shot that has been assigned.

The whole purpose of this rule is to give a chance for more shots through NS/FF.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfnick
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2011
    Good thing to have some guidelines.

About the replacing .. will the right to replace your own title shots be granted to everybody or just the people who have sufficient WTM bucks to replace shots in general?
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2011
    If you don't have enough bucks for replacing a shot yourself, contact a mod.
    When you're ready to upload the new shot, we will delete the previous one.
    • CommentAuthorpioa
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2011
    There is a movie with original title in spanish.
    But i have DVD release in which title at the beginning is in english.
    Can i upload a title shot from this movie?
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    nope, it should be in the original title ;)
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    Another problem. For some movies the tittle shot is on two separate shots. How doing it ??
    • CommentAuthorpioa
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2011
    Thanks for answer :)
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2011 edited
    @RDPL55

I'd say: choose the most meaningful word(s).
    • CommentAuthortoffetomas
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2011
    i dont get why 3) "Directed by..." is prefered by 4) "And they lived happily ever after" or any text of that kind..
    i think 'they lived happily ever after' is more special and more like a 'The End' shot than just 'Directed by..'
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2011
    I completely agree with toffetomas on that one.
    • CommentAuthorShayah
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2011
    I know I'm a bit off-topic, but I don't want to open a new thread for my question.

is there any rule or limitation about character shots? I noticed that sometimes several shots are uploaded for the same character, so I have 2 remarks about that.

First, I think this is quite useless to have 10 shots of the same character, IMO theses shots should only be uploaded to show what the character looks like, and we don't need to have a picture of every scene in which he/she appears.

Second, I think these shots should be as "boring" as possible. Sometimes these characters shots come from specific scenes and could be uploaded as regular shots. 2 examples I found recently:
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/142082
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/188186

What do you think??
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2011
    Yeah, we need to think of some guidelines for those too.
    So far, the only guidelines are:
    - same rules as usual +
    - only one character clearly visible on the shot
    - face must be visible (for "uploaded as character shot" shots)

We'll discuss this in an upcoming Staff meeting.

BTW, I deleted the 2nd shot, the character's face couldn't be seen.

Plus we'll discuss the suggestion made by both toffetomas and fungus on the title shot guidelines.
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2011 edited
    Personally I do not agree with a limitation of shots per character, for several reasons:

1) The Message on the starting page of WTM says: "We don´t try to bring you all the features of Rotten Tomatoes or the IMDb. You won´t see fancy actor pages, movie trivia or the latest news. Instead, we focus on the Movies and their Characters themselves."

If you focus on the characters themselves and advertise with it on the starting page, then the idea from my understanding should be to bring some kind of variety of shots and different scenes from all the characters, not just 1 or 2 boring shots in the character section and that's it.

2) If we are honest there are still way too few users who regularly upload in the character section. So why put a limitation to these users...

3) In my opinion there are already way too many simple character shots in the NS right now. Don't get me wrong, I also upload a character shot sometimes when I feel it is worth uploading, but very often such shots are just boring to see in the NS. From my personal taste shots like this have nothing lost in the FF section: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/189522 (No offense against the uploader of course, especially that he is still new and it was probably right to accept one of his shots to give him some motivation to continue uploading). But a limitation to the character section could only lead to an increase of uploaded character shots in the NS...and that's something I wouldn't like to see.

4) What if a character is liked very much by the community and let's say 10 people would want to upload their character shots for this certain character. If there is a limitation to only a few shots not everyone could do it.

5) If you say it is "useless to have 10 shots of the same character" and several different scenes they appear in, why would you want to see them be uploaded in the NS section? At the end it would be the same if the shots make it to the archive...just that in the character section they are all together and you get something like an overview for these characters there.

So if there is really a need for a limitation of character shots (at the moment I don't really see why) it should be something like at least 5 shots per character per user. This would be something like a compromise which everyone could live with probably.
    But actually as long as the shots aren't completely dupes I wouldn't have a problem if there is no limitation at all and everyone should be able to upload what he wants into the character section as long as he stick to the rules of course.

To toffetomas & fungus point I agree, even this would mean that some new uploaded "directed by"-shots would have to be replaced again.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2012
    Reminder: List with the top 100 movies without title shots http://whatthemovie.com/page/titles
    • CommentAuthorpioa
    Hello.
    I messed up with "Dnevnoy dozor"
    I uploaded "Title Still"

Then i wanted to upload end "The End Still" and saw this: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/75905
    Yes. I know. I Fucked Up.
    Please delete my "Title Still" and reassign Pinokio1983 shot from "The End Still" to "Title Still", then I upload "The End Still".

Thanks and sorry for trouble.
  1.  permalink
    Orca and The Ghost and the Darkness are done!
    • CommentAuthorShayah
    les valseuses is done
  2.  permalink
    Babe done
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2013 edited
    The top 100 of title shot missing films:

Nixon
    Womb
    Las aventuras de Tadeo Jones
    The Ring Two
    Everybody's Fine
    To the Wonder
    Three Seasons
    Management
    Bichunmoo
    O Ano em Que Meus Pais Saíram de Férias
    Secrets & Lies
    Tant qu'on a la santé
    The Pink Panther
    A Simple Plan
    Take the Lead
    Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical
    Made in Dagenham
    All About Steve
    La mariée était en noir
    The Rocker
    Domicile conjugal
    Botched
    Der müde Tod
    Pride and Prejudice
    Barb Wire
    Čarlston za Ognjenku
    In Darkness
    Great Expectations
    Bir zamanlar Anadolu'da
    Freddy Got Fingered
    The Onion Movie
    The Savages
    Justin and the Knights of Valour
    Il était une fois le diable - Devil story
    The Visitor
    Seul contre tous
    Smiley Face
    Upstream Color
    Tillie's Punctured Romance
    28 Days
    Che: Part Two
    Like Crazy
    Nefes: Vatan sagolsun
    Lacombe Lucien
    Valley of the Dolls
    Choses secrètes
    Violette Nozière
    Mister Lonely
    Chéri
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters
    The Conspirator
    Shine
    Vincent will Meer
    Paradise Now
    Gui si
    Flashbacks of a Fool
    De l'autre côté du lit
    Bordertown
    A League of Their Own
    Les bonnes femmes
    Steak
    A Cock and Bull Story
    Morning Glory
    Morvern Callar
    Imagine Me & You
    Bunhongsin
    La journée de la jupe
    Cheung Gong 7 hou
    Tinker Bell
    Henry & June
    Out Cold
    Father of the Bride
    The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2
    Cendrillon au Far West
    3000 Miles to Graceland
    Intervista
    Ai no borei
    Mondo Topless
    Rude Boy
    X
    Naboer
    Caravaggio
    Macunaíma
    Dracula: Dead and Loving It
    Nightbreed
    The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
    Trois vies et une seule mort
    Buona Sera, Mrs. Campbell
    Last Chance Harvey
    Genius Party Beyond
    Un pur moment de rock'n roll
    Princess
    Born Into Brothels: Calcutta's Red Light Kids
    The Life Before Her Eyes
    Van Gogh
    Jariskatsis mama
    Natural City
    Hornblower: Duty
    Barney's Version
    Teacher's Pet
    Bachelor Party
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2013
    I have "La mariée était en noir" and "Tacones lejanos" but...
    • CommentAuthoralex68
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2013 edited
    Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii ---> done
    La collectionneuse ---> done but very poor quality, that's why I didn't upload them before; if someone has a better edition please REPLACE/UPDATE
    Mauvais Sang ---> own it, checked but it's a translated title so I didn't add it (sorry)
    Elmer Gantry ---> done but very poor quality... (see above)
    Drugstore Cowboy ---> done but very poor quality... (see above)
    • CommentAuthorWinterwolf
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter --> done
    • CommentAuthorlusvardi
    Encarnação do Demônio --> done, and long life to José Mojica Marins! haha
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Great work, guys :)
  3.  permalink
    Che Part Two : End title added - An english version of the DVD is needed for the start title, a shot can be taken at the end credits of the movie.

And don't forget the "Movies without title shot" page :
    http://whatthemovie.com/page/titles
    • CommentAuthorfafner
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2013
    BloodRayne --> done
    2001: A Space Travesty --> almost done, End title is really bad quality when I try to make a shot. Don't know why. So I didn't do it
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2013
  4.  permalink
    Blast from the past is done.
  5.  permalink
    Welcome to the Rileys - done
    • CommentAuthorWinterwolf
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2013
    if a movie follows the story of a video game, is "Game Over" as beginning of the end credits in priority like a 1) or less than 6)?
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    To me it would be more like a 1.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Agreed, between 1 and 2. So if there is a The End, that still has priority.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2013
    Just to bump @toffetomas question of 2011 which I backed. We never got an answer so far:

"i dont get why 3) "Directed by..." is prefered by 4) "And they lived happily ever after" or any text of that kind..
    i think 'they lived happily ever after' is more special and more like a 'The End' shot than just 'Directed by..' "

And I would say the same holds for 5) "in loving memory of ..." etc. which also is a more marking the end shot than 3) in my opinion.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    When the Staff came up with these rules, if I remember correctly, we had mainly 2 things in mind:
    - have some consistency on the movie pages,
    - leave room for the quiz (because, before those rules, tons of quiz compatible shots were uploaded as end shots instead of trying them in NS).

So it seemed pretty logical to us that:
    1. "The End" should stay #1. This is what the slot was created for.
    2. The movie title, when showing at the end too, would be a nice #2, because it's not quiz material at all and would be OK with our consistency purpose.
    3. "Directed by" would be quite all right as #3, because it's boring as quiz material and would be OK with our consistency objective too.
    4. and 5. can be quiz material, and they can also look good as end shots, at least better than a simple credits shot. So let's put them here. I don't remember well why we picked this order for those two, though.
    6. Well, we needed something in case nothing else works. But actually, we forgot the possibility of no end credits at all.

Of course, we have an "assign" feature which should enable shots to be uploaded in NS, accepted to FF and finally assigned as end shots when they reach the Archive. The truth is, most users don't even try this. They see that the end shot slot is open, and they upload something.
    That's why, with the priority order, "they lived happily ever after" or "in loving memory of" have more chances to be uploaded in NS, because there are 3 other possibilities to fill the end shot slot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    Ok with me. Thank's for the answer.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2013
  6.  permalink
    Angela's Ashes done!
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2014
    Bump for the list! http://whatthemovie.com/page/titles

Some of you must have at least these two:
    - The Pink Panther (2006)
    - Home Alone 2 (Greymatter, looking at you here ;))
    • CommentAuthorpnktchen
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2014
    Politiki kouzina -> done.
  7.  permalink
    Van Gogh done!
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2014
    Good work!
    • CommentAuthorvicade17
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2014 edited
    The Day of the Jackal - DONE
    Made of Honor - DONE
    Reality Bites - DONE
  8.  permalink
    The shot in http://whatthemovie.com/movie/pride_and_prejudice is from the Joe Wright version of 2005 I think .
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2014
    You're right.
    Fixed.
    • CommentAuthorErrix
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2014
    there's a problem with the title shot of Get Smart: http://whatthemovie.com/movie/get_smart
    I see a shot from a japanese animated film (I suppose) and if I click on it ( http://whatthemovie.com/shot/47751 ) appears the message "Sorry, you are not allowed to view this snapshot"

then I have a question: is it right that the title shot of a movie is in a different language from the original?
    some examples:
    - http://whatthemovie.com/movie/le_renard_et_l_enfant
    - http://whatthemovie.com/movie/i_mostri
    - http://whatthemovie.com/movie/germania_anno_zero
    - http://whatthemovie.com/movie/la_leggenda_del_pianista_sull_oceano
    - http://whatthemovie.com/movie/il_conformista
    - http://whatthemovie.com/movie/per_qualche_dollaro_in_piu
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    I fixed the title shot of Get Smart. You can upload the proper one now.

Title shots should always match the original title, unless it's impossible (which is pretty rare, but can happen), then the english title is acceptable.
    The shots you listed should be replaced.
    • CommentAuthorErrix
    sorry MisterZob, I don't have the dvd of Get Smart, I only reported the error

thanks for the explanation about title shots :)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    And remember that the same can go for end titles.. Sometimes a French movie has "Fin", while the English (/international) version gets "The End". The proper one will be the original language one then, of course. My version of Per Qualche Dollaro in Piu is English, unfortunately.