Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2012
    Hello everyone,

I would just like to tell you, that from today on I quit being a mod. I have discussed this thoroughly with both Zob and kinoute, and we agree that it's time I took a step back.

The years since I started modding have been fun, I really enjoyed playing this game, solving, uploading, cleaning the database by changing movie entries, adding alt. titles and replacing shots, but most of all I enjoyed being able to help you guys out, and let you have more fun on the site.
    But now, things have changed: I no longer enjoy this site as much as I used to, due to various reasons, and I also find myself too tired to start up WTM and check NS, etc. I have a lot of things on my mind, and with the fieldwork-season starting again (most of you might now I do ecological research, which means catching mice, bats, etc., causing me to be outside for a lot of time, having no sleep patterns and traveling a lot), this will also cost me a lot of time, so this seems like the right moment to make this decision.

I hope you all will enjoy WTM for many more years, get your shots accepted and solve lots of shots. If you want to contact me, I'll still check my profile occasionally, but for now, it's goodbye.

Thanks for the good times!

Asmo

PS: This does not mean that you can now just randomly start applying to be my replacement, a new mod will be picked by the team, in consultation with me.
    • CommentAuthorbius
    Get more time for yourself and enjoy your work Asmodai!
    Hope we will see you around for some new great contests,cheers!
    • CommentAuthoralex68
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2012 edited
    Really sad news :( Your contribution here on WTM is just immense and outstanding: not only your moderation work but also the thousands and thousands of snapshots uploaded (regulars, titles, characters, replacements). After some contributive users, now also a mod is leaving... What can I say? Good luck for your "real" life but I hope you'll be back again! WTM is a funny game, a nice community and a very enjoyable addiction :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    Indeed sad news and alex68 said it all. Thank's for your years of work here. I really hope to still talk to you sometimes on ICR, though.
  1.  permalink
    Thanks for all the good work Asmodai !!
    • CommentAuthorstuken
    catching bats hm? right your thing or not :D but well have a nice time, like here :D and see you later :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    A few months after your best enemy Pala, you disapear from WTM. We'll miss you both.
    RIP
    When you'll catch a bat remember the good ol' days :

2.  permalink
    As some other people already said, a very sad day today... we will miss you :(( Thank you for introducing me to do many things right and reply so much of my asks :) And thank you for making many funny contests and make it possible to solve every day many nice shots until now. I really liked your magical accepteds, your nice and interesting shots through all decades was a good opposite to misterzob's magicals. If you were on holidays, i got the feeling the side is an elite quiz for about 60 to 100 year old movies. To solve the daily shots in future will make never so much fun as before, now without you :(

Have a good time and let me know if your bats lead you to the southern part of bavaria. I can give some advice to get really good beer there :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    Asmodai,

Thanks for almost two years of great moderation, pushing shots and your active role in contests. And also thanks for contributing to the site with all kind of shots and forum/IRC input. We'll sure miss you and it has been a lot of fun, almost since the beginning of WTM.

Enjoy real life and we hope to see you around some times!
    • CommentAuthorVito
    Asmodai

And I hope that this is a joke ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Fools%27_Day

Otherwise, damage ...

P.S. Important players loss today Destroyer ...
    This is not funny ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    In any case you earned a fanfare. It starts here: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/214354
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012
    Ok, sorry guys ;)

This was of course an april fools joke :P You should have learned by now not to trust ANYTHING on this date :)

However, I really am seriously touched by your kind words, which shows exactly why I am doing this: to make WTM a good place. Thank you all.

efji: so long, and thanks for all the fish? ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    I was a little afraid of this, but you were quite convincing with your quests for bats ;)
    Well, I'm glad you're staying and I guess I got fooled once more. ( http://whatthemovie.com/shot/17456 Oh, how long I struggled with this shot... )
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Hey, the bats is a real thing and will still happen! Going to catch mice next thursday till sunday, to start the season with :)
    • CommentAuthorWinterwolf
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012 edited
    it seems in netherlands the 1st april jokes are not the same as here in southern germany or bavaria :) Here we tell people their shoelace are open, if they walk barefoot. Or your zipper fly is open, if they wear a trouser without a zipper fly. Allways something banal, that could be impossible.
    • CommentAuthordoooom
    Good thing this was only a joke. Would have been a huge loss for wtm if you actually would have left.
    • CommentAuthorGregh
    even I fell for this until I read your reply. The whole post was convincing haha
    • CommentAuthoralex68
    Really good news :) BTW, which date? I live in a cave constantly watching movies or playing WTM, I don't know what time is it, if it's day or night, summer or winter outside... lol!

P.S.: @Vito, Destroyer left? This is another April fools joke, right?
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    This is not a joke, Destroyer was caught using a glitch to boost his bucks/rank and reach SB in a little time like he already did by the past with his old account. We just banned him from rocking/crapping, he decided to delete his account after we removed all his bucks and promotions (95% of his bucks were won using the glitch).
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    ==personal post==
    And remember, he already had a year long ban for constantly uploading shots he stole from websites and edited, so in my opinion: no big loss.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    I don't understand the word "glitch" but I suspect it is not a good thing :)
    WTF boosting his bucks artificially. ?

I have plenty of bucks and I cannot do anything with them. I could have given him a lot of them if he asked me :)

It reminds me the very good Pala's idea: to be able to convert bucks into awesome uploads
    • CommentAuthoralex68
    Wow, more shocking news! He was usually in every contest's top ten solvers and also a top uploader, if I remember correctly... Now, these revelations are probably no shock to most of you, but for me are new and make me profoundly sad again (for different reasons, obviously) :(
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    efji: A glitch is like a mistake in coding. In this case, a way somebody could get bucks in a way that everybody understands would not be intended, but due to the coders not having thought of it, it was still technically possible.

If anybody finds something like that: just contact the staff, via the feedback & contact link at the bottom. This will help us make the site more fair for everybody!
    • CommentAuthorchecknorisk
    I don't know either what a "glitch" is, but I noticed that all the "shout rocks" on many profiles have been canceled, mine and others. I suspect it's the reason why I've lost a lot of bucks yesterday and I've been downgraded from set Decorator to property master.
    does it has a link with this mysterious "glitch"?
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    Yes. You were using the glitch but I don't think you were doing it on purpose, I mean not like Destroyer at least who won 160 000 bucks. So I deleted bucks on some profiles who made more than 10 000 bucks with that.
    and what was the way to use the glitch I used to do without to know it?

by the way, I've lost around 3000 buck and not 10 000...
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    I was always somewhat suspicious about destroyer because the number of uploads he got accepted and the number of SotD's he got in a short time was insane and next to that the discussion on http://whatthemovie.com/shot/132893 .

It's good to see that you are paying attention to (possible) cheaters and you catched him somehow, because it's really hard to find some real proof.

I was just wondering: Will his SotD's, top positions in vaults and number of uploads (I see he's still in top 20 HoF) be reconsidered? Or maybe even his uploads? (He uploaded some great shots, but if they are (heavily?) edited and maybe even some promo shots, do we want those on the site?)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012
    We are discussing how to deal with this.

However: promo shots should ALWAYS be replaced by the closest available shot. Also, if shots are visibly, heavily edited, replacements are also allowed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    That's right. I noticed some times ago that you could "rock" your own shouts (only once) and get 2 bucks for that. Not a big deal unless you write a script to do that 100000 times :)
    But again, once you're are clapper loader, going higher don't give much privileges more.
    Some people are strange.
    • CommentAuthorpioa
    I don't think "feedback & contact" works well.
    On the last vault, when i was searching some title, i found something, what i think i shouldn't see. I reported it. I check moment before and that thing is still avalible . Maybe i'm wrong and it's not big deal, but right now i'm not sure if you got my message and ignored becouse this is not important or you didn't get it at all or you just working on it or something else.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012 edited
    check: Ah yeah, you were one of the first accounts that i checked, but there were too many accounts with less than 10k bucks so i gave up after and focused only on profiles who won more than 10k bucks with the glitch.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    @efji: actually that wasn't 2, but 10 bucks every time. I caught Destroyer writing "." shouts on his own profile, rocking them, then deleting them, purely by chance. then i searched a little more, and found some others players who won bucks like that. Another player was doing exactly the same as Destroyer : SanityLapse (60 000 bucks). They are the only two who got rocking/crapping banned. The others are minor case, like check, they were not writing shouts on their profile, rocking them and deleting them so i just removed the extra bucks.

Overall, 65 000 rocks (650 000 bucks) were given freely with this glitch.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    @pioa our mail server is down for a while, if you really see something weird, a big bug, or a way to cheat, ask one of us his personal email to discuss but don't write a whole explanation on the forum or on a profile. Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    "Some people are strange. "

You summed it up completely, efji ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    @kinoute
    Even if it is 10 bucks per rock, it is easier to vote on NS shots.
    And I thought there was a limit of 300 bucks/day.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    Like you said, some people are strange. But remember that a vote in the NS section gives you 5 bucks, not 10 (like a rock), so its faster to do what Destroyer did with some practice. And there is indeed a limit of 300 bucks/day. He was doing that every day since the creation of his account and also on his old account (54 000 bucks).
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    When someone gets a shout rox / crap ban, I noticed all the shout rox dissapear this person gave in the past.

Not only the ones he gave himself maybe in an unfairly way but also the ones he gave other users which were legitimate.

Does this mean other users lose their bucks from these shout rocks as well or it has no influence on our bucks?
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    I don't understand (just woke up...) could you be more specific ? Do you mean this only appears from a couple of days or its been a while ?
    I deleted 400 000 bucks but the profiles (the bucks) are updated only when the users make a new vote/shoutvote (rock or crap) or receive one. So imagine you earned 10 000 bucks with the glitch, i deleted them but your number of bucks on your profile has not changed. It will change at the next vote from yourself (a vote in a shot, a vote on a shout etc...) or from another player (rocks/craps one of your shouts etc)
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    I meant something else...

Let's take SanityLapse as the example.

I got from her 1 shout rocks on this shot http://whatthemovie.com/shot/204686 together with all the other users who commented on this shot as far as I remember.

On this shot http://whatthemovie.com/shot/195673 I had 3 shout rocks, now only 2...so basically by giving out her shout rocks/crap ban all of her shout rocks which she gave during her whole WTM Time dissapeared. Not just the unfair ones to herself but also the legitimate ones which were nicely meant to other users for commenting.

So I wondered if me and other users lose these bucks as well or if it has no influence on our bucks at all, that all of her shout rocks dissapeared now.
    I didn't notice any change on my bucks but I still wanted to ask out of interest.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    Ah ok. Some of fair rocks may have been deleted at the beginning but its like 1% of her total rocks deleted, so something like 60 rocks out of 6000. And no, you didn't lose bucks when i deleted hers, i deleted (after my little test who deleted a VERY little amount of fair rocks) only votes/points/bucks made by a same person, in her own shouts (when voter = shout owner).
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    thanks for answer, kinoute.
    so, using the glitch was to rock my own shouts?

sorry for doing this, I would never have thought it was illegal, as long as it was possible... and the truth is my shouts really rocks !
    @kinoute: its maybe what you call a very little amount, but the whole "shout rocks" I fairly gave to visitors shouts on my profile have been canceled
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    Like i said earlier about your case, you were one of the first I checked and I didn't know how all of this was working so I might have done some bad deletions, I'm sorry about that. But it does not affect people who received your "rocks"
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    checknorisk : But you presumably did it, because you thought your shout rocked. You did NOT create 30 shouts with just a dot in them, rock them, and then delete them, to get some quick bucks... See the difference?
    of course I see the difference, and i'm not grumpy at all.
    If I where running after bucks, I wouldn't be at 30 000 after three years, anyway.

but the way I vote on NS pictures is wrong, and the way I earned bucks is illegal... I've never been so close to be an outlaw, I'm afraid this suit is a bit large for me
    • CommentAuthordoooom
    Oh, I didn't even know Destroyer had an upload ban. I sometimes wondered why he stopped uploading new snapshots, but this obviously explains that.

And using that glitch is kinda silly. There's no real advantage in having more than 40000 bucks anyway. So why bother to boost someones bucks beyond that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFamilyGuy
    Haha, was so fking drunk last saturday i totally believed you... (even though i'd prepared a joke for my best friend few hours ago)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Yes, your reaction in the chat was quite entertaining ;)