Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2008 edited
    Hi everyone,

We'd like to know what you guys think of the overall difficulty of the site.
    Feel free to tell us your thoughts.
    • CommentAuthorarno1976
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2008
    i think it's getting more and more difficult!!
    just my opinion...
    • CommentAuthorSolarstorm
    wtm is hard sometimes.
    and shots like these http://whatthemovie.com/beta/movies/view/10116 shoud be filtered
    and the 30 day solve button is in my opinion still to short, a 1/2year would be fine.
  1.  permalink
    like "arno1976" said...
    "it´s getting more and more difficult....".... too old films, and too complex images make this site an exciting entertainment to all...
    and...
    like "Solarstorm" said...
    "shots like that, MUST be filtered".... scenes from sky, forests, etc... they have too many "solutions"... and it´s too hard to find the right one... and also... it´s too hard for those who don´t know wher to find the movies to buy....
    but the time to "show solution" it´s too long... for real "rank points".. it should be at max 5 days long...
    • CommentAuthorDauby
    Ok i must confess that WTM is hard but that's why it's fun too !! I agree with "andrefuzaro" for the time to show solution but 5 days it's too short ! Maybe between 10 and 15 could be better.
    About filtering some shots i'm not sure because if you saw the movie, automatically you recognize the shot. It's juste your unconscious which is working, not your brain ^^
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    For me, the 30 days are great. It gives you the opportunity to check some older shots once again when you have some spare time.
    Besides that you can still solve all shots for points if you're on a two-week-holiday or something like that.
    And sometimes I see a scene I do recognize, but I just don't remember the title. Most of the time the title comes in mind in like, two weeks. This gives you the chance to still earn the points. But well, this is not where this discussion is all about :P

I agree with arno that wtm gets a bit harder lately. For me the average difficulty is quite okay, but it should not get any harder. Im solving around 20-25% at this moment and I think that's fine.
  2.  permalink
    It's just the right balance in my opinion.
    And 30 days is perfect too, because you still have a chance to catch up when you've been away for 2 or 3 weeks or so.
    • CommentAuthorremedy
    It's pretty hard, but it is great fun to discuss shots with friends and movie-nerds. In addition, meanwhile I saw some very nice/strange/funny movies I've never heard of before.
    Nice amusement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHAL9000
    between "just the right balance" and "wtm is quite hard"
    But I voted "just the right balance".

I think it's quite hard, and that it ought to be like that.
    I'm not world's biggest movie fan, but definitely quite a bit more enthusiastic than average in my environment.

If the site became really a lot easier, it would definitely lose it's thrill...
    The main reason to come back is at least partially caused by the frustration that you think you know the answer, but
    can't find it yet :P
  3.  permalink
    I voted that it's just the right balance. Come on now, it wouldn't be fun if all the screenshots were of Ewoks, or of Agent Smith, or of Don Corleone.
    • CommentAuthormDC
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2008 edited
    I think it is a little too hard, bordering the right balance. But as Solarstorm already said: some pictures (and the number increases) are simply too generic and therefore too hard. I think the fun of this site is not just the difficulty solving the shots but also to be reminded of these movies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDerHexer
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2008
    Too hard.
    • CommentAuthorhendy
    Quite hard... but that's why it's great as it is ! so it is also the "right balance"
  4.  permalink
    either too hard or too easy. there aren't enough 'medium' difficulty level shots, e.g. key stills from well-known movies.
    • CommentAuthorDadida
    too many obscure movies i think
    i really like the ones like that hand on the blue wall, about two months ago.
    a well known movie, but still hard. the surprise and aha element on those is high, and that makes it fun i think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDerHexer
    The animated and anime ones are uncountable ... there are so many Pixar/Disney ones, they look all the same. And with the anime (or even generally Asian) stuff: Those aren't well-known at all in my opinion, and really raise the difficulty.
    • CommentAuthorvalk
    So many times I recognize the shot, but ah..... what is the name of the movie??????
    • CommentAuthordrixmok
    In my newbie opinion, WTM is quite hard but it has to. Where would the challenge be if it was too easy ? I wouldn't enjoy it that much if it was easier.

But Solarstrom is right, the "generic" captions with anonymous landscapes and sunsets etc. should be filtered, it's impossible to guess the movie name except by luck.

(if you don't understand very well what I say, well, don't worry, I'm french. I might not use the proper words and expressions... ;)

BTW, thanks for WTM, it's a real good idea !
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    @valk: try IMDB for character or keyword searches, it helps. And google can help too...
    •  
      CommentAuthorFifty
    I voted "right balance".
    Maybe certain screen are just too hard.
    Even certain screens of very popular movies aren't found however other screens of the same movies are found.
    The aim of "the game" is too search and think about the image but it's stupid to post some that can't be found.
    • CommentAuthorChoco
    As Zythux, I think the 30 days to find solution are great. I vote "WTM is quite hard", but I like it, it's funnier like that !

I often watch different kind of movies, new and old... and it's always a pleasure to discover some new pictures and say "I know that !" and come back a few days later on WTM and then writing the right answer. Sometimes it gives me 1 point for "hall of fame", sometimes not.

And like Fifty, I like to think and search about a picture I know, even if I don't remember the movie....
    • CommentAuthorArnaut
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2008
    It's getting more and more difficult. It's fun to find something difficult, but a lot of them are too difficult. I love it when I find one without having to think about it too long (a bit is ok) and remembering the whole movie and think "aaah, great movie. i have to see it again" or "that movie sucked"...
    •  
      CommentAuthorJanitor
    Hello there (my first comment)

I think it's quite hard, but that's necessary (it has to stay a challenge, right?)
    The 30 days rule should stay because then everyone has some time to think one over and won't give up too fast.

I really love this site, it keeps me busy for HOURS, thanks a lot and keep it up ;)
    • CommentAuthormarionb
    It's just the right balance... yes it is !
    But I agree with arno1976 when he says it's getting more and more difficult.
    Maybe the easy one has been ever posted :$

I regret one thing - recurrent movies like "El Laberinto del Fauno" or else... "the big lebowsky"... stop please !
    I enjoy when people post movies around a central theme... santa , tv shoot, very good ideas !
    •  
      CommentAuthorbiglebowski
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2008 edited
    > "the big lebowsky"... stop please !

Hahaha! :)
    Why? ;)
    No, seriously, there are not so many lebowski stills as far as I remember (and none of them is by me ;). But I can think of some other movies which are quite overpopulated here. ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZendrig
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2008
    I voted for "quite hard" although at times I find myself thinking that it's for movie freaks only - not because of the stills but because many movies are either very old or very exotic.

Yet overall it's very entertaining and addictive. Good idea, well executed.
    • CommentAuthorcaio1982
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2008
    I don't have spare times so often and even so I've only solved about 500 movies since Dec 1st. My girlfriend and co-worker friends says I'm a movie geek, that they could barely solve 30 movies and such, but I think I'm lame and I can not figure out most movies actually.

If THEY are saying that I believe it counts as "WTM is quite hard" for common people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHAL9000
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2008
    Everybody has a couple of movie genres (s)he does not really know all that well...
    Whenever movies are not of your favorite genre or kind, they're more likely to be "too hard", especially when not
    a key character of that movie is displayed, while it can still be an easy shot for others.

I do restrain myself on posting too many really obscure movies... and if I do post them, usually only the
    first and/or most famous part of a series, and even with that a shot that should be easily recognized by people
    who've seen the movie.
    http://whatthemovie.com/beta/movies/view/10398 is a good example of what I really consider to be too obscure
    for general public... It has been in several movie theaters, but never really made it to mainstream areas. Next to
    that, it is pretty much without any conversations or easily understood plot.

But I think most posters of movies really submit titles that are quite doable for an acceptable percentage of the
    visitors of this site.
  5.  permalink
    I think this game is only suitable for people who have extraordinary interest in movies.
    If you are just an average movie-watcher, you'll never find many solutions.

It taught me that I haven't seen that many movies at all! (While I thought I did).
    • CommentAuthorDjZIggy
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2008
    Well it get more difficult everytime.
    The problem is, al the known movies are already posted, so people make a screenshot of "arthouse" movies
    • CommentAuthorDiedEnFreek
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2008 edited
    The fun is to find stills, not to upload impossible ones. The site is not called WhateverTheMovie.com for a good reason.

http://whatthemovie.com/beta/movies/view/10316 and http://whatthemovie.com/beta/movies/view/10320 : WHATEVER! I don't know them and they provide (me) no clue whatsoever about the movie at all. Job well done. (sarcasm) But just _maybe_ I'll be really surprised when I seen the solution. Most often with these kind of stills though, this is not the case.
    For this kind of stills I'd like to have an option "[ ] never show me this still again, there are more interesting stills here on this site I'd like to invest my time in..."
    http://whatthemovie.com/beta/movies/view/10319 on the other hand I won't find either, but the still looks funny.
    http://whatthemovie.com/beta/movies/view/10686 even though I won't find the movie, I like the still. Nice composition. I'll make it into my background and I look forward to know what movie it is.

http://whatthemovie.com/beta/movies/view/10482 nice still. easy, but sweet. probably there are about 460 active still solvers here ;)
    http://whatthemovie.com/beta/movies/view/10740 now this is a nice one. I haven't seen the movie, but i know enough about it to be able to guess it.
    http://whatthemovie.com/beta/movies/view/10749 : And the golden rule: if you don't know it, try "Aeon Flux" or "Fightclub". It just might work.

@Ziggy :
    There is enough that is not arthouse and even if a lot of them http://whatthemovie.com/beta/movies/view/10362 aren't mainstream, they're well known enough to know them. And if you don't know them: this is your opportunity to get to know them. Try http://whatthemovie.com/beta/movies/view/10461 ;) But there are enough not-arthouse movies here, I think.
    • CommentAuthorhabe
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2009
    Asking with a poll will give a slant against the more casual players.

I suggest moderators publish some statistics:
    - how many people ever played. How many cared to register. Average length of regular playing time by registered users.
    - average number of solved movies by registered users (in absolute numbers and percentages)
    - average number of solved movies by top 1000 players, top 500, top 200, top 100
    - comparison of "number of looked-at movies" vs. "number of solved movies" for unregistered users, registered users, top 1000 players

These numbers would provide more details towards an educated discussion about the difficulty of wtm.
  6.  permalink
    I think Mimimi increases the difficulty of this site! It seems I can't find any of her (his?) stills ! All her (his?) stills have less than (20x) that's soooo hard !
    Most of the time it's stills from movies which have less than 1,000 votes on IMDB...
    I don't wanna be mean to you Mimimi, you're doing a great job, this is just an observation : everytime I see a still uploaded by you I'm like "oops I won't find this one" :-(
    • CommentAuthoramadeusrp
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2009
    i guess it's quite hard but i think thats why its so fun =D
    • CommentAuthorglau
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2009
    @HAL9000 : 10368 is really easy if you have seen the movie, which is far from being obscure (compared to other movies of the same style, for instance). Of course this is subjective. But think about the players who can't name movies with 400 answers and are really happy to find non-mainstream stills...
  7.  permalink
    @Glau : 10368 is really easy even if you just saw the trailer ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorScyza
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2009
    Even though there are many many movies that I do not recognize I think it's just the right balance.
    Better a few shots that are too hard than lots that are too easy.

Don't know if I'm the only one, but solving movies that haven't been solved very often makes me feel lika "whoa, I'm so good, almost no one knew this but I did!"
    Whereas, recognizing a movie that 1500+ people have solved already doesn't give the same excitement ;)
    • CommentAuthorall4hm
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2009
    srsly you cant really keep up because the number of movies being released today is >>>> the number you can actually watch :)
    • CommentAuthorlogus
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2009
    Lately it`s getting harder and I think it comes to a point when it gets boring. There are too many movies that are only solved by few people, I think there should be more balance as the results of the pool are showing.
    I mean, if you are making a pool, you should consider its results and act on consecuence.
    http://whatthemovie.com/beta/movies/view/13973
    http://whatthemovie.com/beta/movies/view/13960
    http://whatthemovie.com/beta/movies/view/13904
    There are almost 10.000 users registered, this movies had been solved by less than 30, and some of them don't follow the upload rules ( they have less than 1000 votes on imdb).
    http://whatthemovie.com/beta/movies/view/14368
    This one has been released for 23 days and still unsolved....
    Please, we love WTM, we need WTM, don't dissapoint us...
    • CommentAuthormelopea
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2009
    Hi!
    I totally agree with Logus coments!
    Humbly, as you can see we both are in the "Hall of Fame" among the 20 first top solvers, so you can say we are "very freaks" and movie fans. I think if we find it's getting very difficult for us it's even more for the normal people who just want to have fun here.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2009
    @ logus and melopea .
    Don't grow grey hairs about this..
    To be "fixed" in the next version.
  8.  permalink
    I agree with melopea and logus on that ! That's basically why all my uploads are really easy because I'm trying to be a counterpoint to Lotte-Mimimi-RDPL55-Ren...
    By the way if you look at "movies nobody solved this month" you'll see 15 movies, 6 uploaded by Ren ! Not bad lol
  9.  permalink
    hi people,
    I agree with theoficce911.
    Thanks to naut for listening our demands
    From a "freak" and a " movie fan".
    Excellent site, guys.
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2009
    i really like the site and the idea
    but i also agree that some stills are way to hard.
    it should give you a thrill seeing there are new stills posted, and you shouldn't be thinking "i'm never gonna solve those"

but keep up the good work
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2009
    I don't mind the difficult ones

70% easy ones and 30% difficult ones
    I think this is the best ratio
    • CommentAuthorChogori
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2009
    It's not too bad. I think the site has enough for everybody, young and old, recent and ancient. Well..you know what I mean, 'elder peeps'. Some are fans of the black/white era, some are fans of SciFi, and others of drama. Something for everybody. :D