Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTao
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2020
    Hi, long time user here – but not for a while though.
    I recently rediscovered WTM and how much I love it, and it's back in my head when I watch movies, thinking "this is a good shot". It's great.

But then I was watching Horse Girl on Netflix the other day, and there were some great shots, and I was reminded that it wouldn't be allowed here because it's a streaming-only title, despite being an actual "feature film" in modern terms (per the rules it would be allowed based on its Imdb classification, right?)

Has there been discussion about updating the policies, as physical media is gradually going away (at least for most consumers)?
    I've looked through the forum, and haven't seen mention of it since 2016.

I mean, Scorsese's The Irishman was nominated for best picture this year – I think it's a shame that it can't be a part of this website because of its distribution.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2020
    No.

The movie must be available on disc somewhere in the world... or be old enough for us to assume that it's been released on disc somewhere.
    BTW "The Irishman" will be released on disc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTao
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2020
    No as in it's not been discussed or no as in it's not even a discussion?

And great about The Irishman. Just read that Marriage Story is getting a release as well.
    They're through Criterion though, so I guess that still leaves out a lot of titles that will stay streaming-only?
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2020
    It's been discussed and the answer is no.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2020
    Hi there. Glad to see that, at least in some obscure places, nothing changes and Tartuffe is still alive...
    •  
      CommentAuthorTao
    Sorry, efji, I don't understand, was that directed at me?
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    @Tao of course not :) Long (old) story. A long time ago, WTM was a very very popular game, with a lot of funny people playing and discussing about movies. Now it it almost dead, killed by a couple of rigid rules and their zealous cops. What is the point in 2020 to impose "snapshots from original dvds"? When did you buy your last dvd?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTao
    Got it :) Yeah, it's such a shame, keeping basically most people from uploading and actually potentially revitalizing the site. With more access to movies than ever you'd think this site could still be thriving. Even as like a mobile app, how great would that be?

I'm curious what the mods' reasons are. Quality assurance? Surely even a 720p stream screenshot beats a shot sourced from a DVD.
    • CommentAuthorlezard
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2020
    Hi everyone,
    I have no definite opinion as to what should be done. I just want to add « fuel » to the debate. First I think the basic reason for insisting on dvd pictures is law. Movie companies could easily close you down for having no rights to upload pictures illegally. They do tolerate it when it comes from individuals but could no doubt make a legal move it it were an « official » website.
    Then it's true that most movie watchers now resort to streaming due to the convenience and availability. Nevertheless, probably because I am from another generation, I prefer dvds. First, the price is now no longer an obstacle. I easily get loads of dvds for less than 2 euros or dollars, and I can resell them for nearly the same price. I can as easily borrow them from libraries, including rarities. I find dvds much more friendly. I can lend them and share. By the way this is also why I keep going to the cinema instead of being riveted to my computer. I like the atmosphere of a movie house where you are alone and surrounded, where the audience laughs or screams. Life, in a way.
    I don't like the idea of watching a movie « for free » on the internet, because actually nothing is for free. I can't and refuse to watch a movie on a computer, just as I refuse to listen to music on a telephone, and of course watch a movie on a pad or smartphone. OK it's handy but what do you really get ? a shitty unbearable sound and a tiny unbearable picture. Am I supposed to tolerate a shitty low quality just because it's free ? Let me pay then and give me quality. What this does is just getting whole generations accustomed to shit. And technology is no argument either. If you watch crap in high definition, it's still crap.
    If you enlarge the problem, I find something weird in getting things for free. Many people rightly protest against the « uberisation » of economy because it destroys thousands of jobs for underpaid others. But when it comes to culture (music and cinema) everybody seems to think it's normal to get them for free. The same people that go out in the street to demonstrate against « uberisation » see nothing wrong with uploading illegally or streaming once they are home. Nobody thinks about the thousands of jobs it has cost to music and cinema. How many shops have closed down since uploading started and why should culture pay the price ?
    Now I repeat, I have no solution but if the future of cinema is to watch Fury Road on your phone, count me out and don't be surprised if movies get worse and worse!