Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorguzo
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2009
    Ok, i just cheated a little.

9894 : 209 votes on IMDB
    10023 : 665 votes on IMDB
    10499 : 384 votes on IMDB

I'm angry because in the rules I am told that movies on this website have a 1,000 vote minimum on IMDB so I do my research keeping in mind that the movie is over 1000 to avoid wasting time...
    And then I see that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSara
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2009
    What do you mean with you "cheated a little"? To find out how many people voted on imdb you've got to know the respective movie, haven't you? ;-)

If I recall it correctly the 1000 votes statement is more like a guideline: it's possible to have films with <1000 votes which are very popular or famous or …

And just take still 10499: 384 votes doesn't seem much but 151 people here solved it (not me :-) ) and I'm sure not everyone amongst those voted on imdb.
  1.  permalink
    That brings a "country" problem! Some of the stills are from "cult German movies" or "cult French movies" but you can't solve them if you're not from Germany or France (or the Netherlands and so on, you get my point) because even though these movies are known by every German citizens, they've never crossed the border so a French guy can't solve it.
    The perfect example is #10499, I spent a lot of times trying to solve it, telling me that if 151 people have solved it then it's easy and I know the movie... What I didn't know is that I had no way to solve it unless I was from the country where it was produced !
    So I don't know, maybe we should add the country where the movie is from, that would avoid spending time trying to solve a movie you can't possibly solve unless you're from a specific country.
    Another example, usually when I see the British flag and the German flag I tend to think it's a German movie so I don't make an effort to find the movie... I mean I've seen Lola rennt, das Leben der Anderen, das Boot, die Blechtrommel, some Fritz Lang's movies and that's it! So if I see a German flag and it's not from one of these movies I know I won't be able to solve it (unless there's something written, or if I can recognize an actor/actress)
    But, here's the catch, sometimes you got a British and a German flag but it's not a German movie! How tricky is that lol
    • CommentAuthorpoly
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2009
    Another interesting example is 11900 http://whatthemovie.com/beta/movies/view/11900
    Votes on IMDB: 38
    People who solved it here: 121
    However, I think it is an interesting shot and you can solve the movie even if you haven't seen it. So I think it's ok to post this still even if the movie is not well-known. The same holds IMHO with regard to 10023 since the picture is really funny. In contrast I don't see the point in 9894 or 10499. If a movie is this little known the still should be outstanding in some sort (funny, beautiful, interesting) and I don't see this here.

@ theoffice911: Ignore the German flag. It says nothing about the origin of the movie. The default flag is the British one. So if I upload a German movie with the German title as the only option you will see only the British flag and no German one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZanapher
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2009
    Yeah, flags have almost no meaning at all. At this point we should probably remove them altogether since it seems to cause quite some confusion amongst different users that don't interpret their meaning the same way.

As for the original topic, the minimun number of votes is simply a guideline, it is not necessarily a rule. Some screenshots are very nice by themselves and could be accepted even though the movie is very little known, and the problem of movies that are famous in one country but not the others is an important issue too...
  2.  permalink
    Newsflash.

For all you sissies that think there are too many difficult stills:

NEXT WEEK: WhatTheBlockbuster.com
    Rhe rules will be simple:
    - 10.000 IMDB votes minimum,
    - 7.0 voting average minimum and
    - a minimum of 2 well known actors in still, facing audience.

- preferably only key-scenes

The first two rules will automatically be checked upon uploading.
    Violation of the 3rd rule will result in a perma-ban.
  3.  permalink
    Are you calling me a sissy?
    • CommentAuthorguzo
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2009
    Newsflash.

For all you men that think there are too many easy stills:

NEXT WEEK: WhatTheBadMovie.com
    The rules will be simple:
    - 400 IMDB votes maximum,
    - 5.3 voting average maximum and
    - a minimum of 1 impossible thing to find like a sunset, a doorknob or an eye close-up... or a lamp.

- preferably no key-scenes
  4.  permalink
    @theoffice

If you're a sissy, i probably am one too. too many stills that i don't know...