Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJohannaP
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2010
    I'm a woman over 40. I'll go and watch the Sound of Music now. Good evening kids don't kill each other ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    Crap! Sorry about that genralization :( Anyways I indeed made a mistake 'cause I like Twilight but enjoyed Crank 2 :)
    theoffice I haven't seen anything yet but I'm definetly going to watch "Repulsion" tonight, writing "Perfect Murder" review took more time than I anticipated yesterday :)
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    Don't worry, just joking. I like many kinds of movies. Your discussion made me curious about Lars von Trier ;-)
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    me too :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    Damnit :P
  1.  permalink
    I gave a 6/10 to "Dial M for Murder" so I doubt I'll like "Perfect Murder" !
    "The Sound of Music" : I know I should watch it (5 Oscars) but a 3 hours musical sounds hard for me... Maybe one day !

Damit now everybody is gonna watch von Trier's movies.. Quick sati tell everyone you hate David Lynch!
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    Hahaha.
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    The hahaha was for Sati.
    @theoffice: I watched the sound of music years ago and actually enjoyed it.
    I bought a lot of dvd's lately and can't decide what to watch tonight. Vertigo, Coraline, Chaplin, 9, Lucia y el sexo, eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, the science of sleep, the graduate, the Sting..... pffffff
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    I hate (winking) David Lynch. And I obviously hate (more winking) Jason Statham.

"Perfect Murder" has great performance by Michael Douglas but it was a bit distressing for me to watch now, 'cause he has cancer and I hate it when actors I admire get sick :/
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    Chaplin with RDJ? OMG watch that! :)
  2.  permalink
    Eternal Sunshine --> 10/10
    The Sting --> 9/10
    Vertigo --> 8/10
    The Graduate --> 8/10
    Coraline --> 7/10
    The Science of Sleep --> 7/10
    Chaplin --> not seen (sati is gonna hate me for that lol)
    Lucia y el sexo --> not seen

So I would recommand you Eternal Sunshine! But they are all great movies :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    Nah, you saw Crank 2 you are protected from my rage:D
  3.  permalink
    Well I watched Crank (6/10) Crank 2 (6/10) LockStock (9/10) Snatch (9/10) Revolver (4/10) The Bank Job (5/10) Collateral (7/10) and The Italian Job (5/10) Couldn't bring myself to watch "The Transporter" though...
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    @JohannaP: I would recommend Lucia y el sexo. An absolutely beautiful movie.
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    Thanks for your tips, I'll probably watch something completely different (no not Monty Python's). I'll let you know what I think about the movies.
    • CommentAuthorshalev
    Primeval 2/10 - How can a movie about a 20 foot croc be so goddamn boring?
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2010
    Because they didn't make it about a 50 foot croc!
    • CommentAuthorRenko
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2010 edited
    Chatroom - From Hideo Nakata with "Kick-Ass" Aaron Johnson... average movie with some nice moments
    Outrage - Kitano doing a yakuza movie... great as usual ;)
    La casa muda/The Silent House - horror thriller - 80 minutes real time - shot in one take - sounds awesome, but isn't that great at all ;)

Enter The Void - WTF?! I know it sounds like a commercial slogan, but it is really an upsetting, beautiful and unique experience.
  4.  permalink
    + Harry Brown (2009) --> 7/10 great vigilante movie with a brilliant Michael Caine! Plus it's fun to see Ben Drew (Plan B)
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2010
    Walk the Line: 8/10 - outstanding performances by J. Phoenix and R. Witherspoon
  5.  permalink
    + Chaplin (1992) --> 7/10 : Attenborough sure knows how to make a biopic! Robert Downey Jr was great but the Oscar couldn't go to anyone else than Al Pacino this year...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2010
    He has bad luck. 1992 there was Pacino. 2009 there was Ledger...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    London, 75/100 - great movie, fantastic soundtrack and dialogues. Best Jason Statham's performance I've seen - he was both hilarious and heartbreaking.
    • CommentAuthorshalev
    Chungking Express - 8/10. Delightful.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2010 edited
    Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom
    Good! after all what I heard of it, I was expecting it to be more shocking. I mean dont get me wrong, some parts are sick (you should not decide to have a meal after this one, it will not work lol) but it isn't the most disturbing movie ever made as some people are trying to say. But a lot to think about nevertheless!
    8/10
  6.  permalink
    I always heard it was the most disturbing movie ever! Isn't there a scene where a girl is forced to eat feces?
    Braindead almost made me throw up so I don't think I could handle that lol
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    To Kill a Mockingbird - 8/10, nice, warm story, with wonderful performances by all actors
  7.  permalink
    + The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) : 7/10
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2010 edited
    Monday from Hiroyuki Tanaka

A satiric black comedy from Japan. Original and sometimes really funny, but sometimes also a bit annoying. A nice little message as well against the use of weapons and laws in general but the message could have been a bit more subtile. Overall, not a masterpiece but I had fun watching it

And if you ever had a terrible hangover and a total loss of memory of the night before, this is the movie for you lol

7/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2010
    Repulsion, 92/100 - great movie, such a disturbing portrait of insanity and loneliness. Great atmosphere and fantastic performance from Catherine Deneuve.
  8.  permalink
    + Fish Tank --> 7/10 : There should be more women directors...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2010
    Falling Down, 64/100 - I never saw it before, but I thought it was going to be better. Great performance by Michael Douglas, but overall I was disappointed.
    My Summer of Love, 64/100 - Nice movie, lovely cinematography and exceptionally beautiful and talented Emily Blunt, but quite forgettable movie.
    • CommentAuthordesideria
    Aaa, Fish Tank - I was very surprised, 'cause I didn't expect such a great movie.
    The same director made "The Road" - even better than Fish Tank (in my opinion).

Yesterday I saw "Domabaem (Love phobia) - a korean melodrama, it's a love story, but not a typical one, it has some very funny moments. But it's also sad.
    7/10

Then I saw (again) "Krótki film o zabijaniu" (A Short Film About Killing) - First time I saw it few years ago, and it's still 10/10!
  9.  permalink
    + Bronson (2008) --> 7/10 : Cool directing and an awesome Tom Hardy!
    • CommentAuthorRenko
    Four Lions ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1341167/ ) - Very, very funny!
    • CommentAuthoraril
    I saw Inception last week and (500) Days of Summer yesterday. My crush on Joseph Gordon-Levitt is now official.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    saw I love you Phillip Morris (2009) loved it!

don’t watch it though if you don’t like jim carrey movies
    • CommentAuthoragonistes
    Just watched Dial M For Murder, it was great. And it reminded me that I really have to watch more Hitchcock movies.
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    My August movie ration:

Taxandria 3/10
    Interesting attempt at experimental production design ended in a very poor film.

Agora 4/10
    Although there is no 'happy end', I still think it was historical kitsch.

Porco Rosso 5/10
    I remain confused by the high IMDB user ratings for these sort of animation films. Kids see their first films and immediately think they are masterpieces?

The Golden Compass 5/10
    Childish.

Alice in Wonderland 5/10
    Very disappointing. I thought the CGI-environments looked like a mediocre computer game. And the lack of continuity of the book doesn't help to make the movie into a coherent story.

Gwai wik 6/10
    Inspired to watch this by some great stills here on WTM. Great images indeed. Poor film.

The Ghost Writer 6/10
    Nicely made thriller, but the ultimate message - the wife of the prime minister is an agent of the you know what - is preposterous. You keep hoping the plot will thicken, but Polanski is as straightforward as always.

Invictus 6/10
    Not bad, but disappointingly predictable.

The Butterfly Effect 6/10
    Switching from one parallel life to another never was so easy.

Antichrist 6/10
    What to say? Very unpleasant film to watch. But certainly intense, disturbing and well made.

Kick-ass 6/10
    Laughed my head off at Hit-Girl's first action scene, but over the whole not really memorable.

2012 7/10
    Of course the film is total crap and an insult to our intelligence. Roland Emmerich should have been put away long ago for these offenses. Yet I enjoyed the hyperbolic, endless catastrophe of 2012. It's so ridiculous that it turns into (200 million dollar) camp.

Cold Souls 7/10
    Nice, absurd theme (extracting souls from bodies), but I was never really moved by Giamatti's adventures.

A Serious Man 7/10
    So the tornado is coming to kill the son of a man who lost his faith? I couldn't care less, with all these unsympathetic characters. Which leaves me with a film that has an overdose of sort of funny Jewish black humor.

Cargo 7/10
    Effective science-fiction. Action limited to one ship, only a few characters, some suspense, one secret.

Nordwand 7/10
    Great photography of the mountain climbing, but I think the story was lacking something. The journalist was a caricature, the Nazi-theme was underdeveloped, the climbing adventure was doomed from the beginning and the girl's role wasn't strong enough.

The Boat That Rocked 7/10
    Entertaining. Loved Philip Seymour Hoffman's part.

In Bruges 7/10
    Very fucking enjoyable comedy with some fucking great acting. Nothing more, nothing less.

Wall-E 8/10
    I'm sorry, it's silly... but irresistibly cute as well.

The Squid and the Whale 8/10
    Very entertaining story about people struggling with life (and family life in particular).

Where the Wild Things Are 8/10
    Energetic and surprising. Although I liked the matter-of-factness with which the kid's fantasy world is depicted a lot, I think the island sequence isn't the best part of the film.

The Fantastic Mr Fox 9/10
    After having seen this, I demand that all 'heist/explosion/wise-crack/Clooney-movies' are made as animations. They are so much more convincing and effective this way!

Adaptation 9/10
    Had seen it in cinema in 2002, but watched it again to freshen my memory. Conceptually brilliant movie of the struggle in a screenwriter's mind.

Up in the Air 9/10
    Starts as a decent satirical movie and turns into a great and subtle drama.

The Bothersome Man 10/10
    A wonderfully simple yet layered film, to be interpreted in different ways. Are we in heaven, hell, or simply in Norway? Powerful images, superior irony. Funny, serious and melancholic. You may need to be into Nordic humor.
  10.  permalink
    Thanks Renko I watched "Four Lions" and it was amazing :-) Sooo funny!! 7/10
  11.  permalink
    + Valhalla Rising --> 1/10 I thought it would never end...
  12.  permalink
    @theoffice911
    is it really so bad? damn, I was gonna watch it ;p
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2010
    I was going to watch Vertigo but a shot was placed today and now I'm afraid I'll have to wait a while and hope to forget that shot. Waaaaaaaaaah. Isn't there a rule against spoilers?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2010
    Belle de Jour - 83/100 - great movie, so many things left for viewers to figure out. Catherine Deneuve is so beautiful, we don't have actresses that pretty nowdays - even Scarlett Johansson would look like crap comparing to her.
  13.  permalink
    + MacGruber --> 5/10 As a huge fan of SNL I exepected a funnier comedy but oh well...
    + Killers --> 5/10 It wasn't THAT bad (4.4/10 on IMDb) plus Katherine Heigl has a huuuuge rack (I'd be an awesome critic in a classy newspaper wouldn't I ?)

Anyway all in all that was a boring evening...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010
    Angel Heart, 92/100 = wow! What an amazing movie, great atmosphere - so dark and mysterious, amazing music and fantastic, incredibly disturbing story. I love movies set in Louisiana and this one was like a combination of "Skeleton Key" and "Jacob's Ladder". But what's even more disturbing was that I'm watching this movie and I'm thinking "Holy mother of God, Rourke used to be HOT!". It's such a shame what happened to him :/
  14.  permalink
    + Poltergeist --> 7/10 It's the first time I watch it (I'm a little ashamed lol) and I gotta say that's a great movie!
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010
    Bananas by Woody Allen. Mixed impressions, don't to know how to categorise this one yet, although I had several laughs during the movie :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2010 edited
    Robin Hood 60/100 - good movie, but as usual with Scott's movies could be better and shorter. Crowe was an awful choice for Robin, they should get someone at least a little attractive, I mean the movie is 150 minutes long and Crowe has an appearance of drunk hobo and he is just so...dull in the movie. But by the end of the film he somehow made it work, mostly because of Blanchett with whom he had nice chemistry. Lots of well known actors in the movie, but everything was pretty avarage, however this one is definetly better than "Kingdom of Heaven" and "Body of Lies".
    I suspect most of the shots on WTM will come from very pretty ending credits of the movie :)
  15.  permalink
    + Solitary Man (2009) --> 5/10 A great Michael Douglas in a decent but boring movie.