Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2010
    Role Models - 60/100 - incredibly stupid, but at least funny at times. Great cast but Jane Lynch is the reason enough to watch it.
    Far From Heaven - 70/100 - beautiful looking movie, great story and fantastic performance by Julianne Moore
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    My September movies:

Iron Man 3/10
    Total crap.

[REC]2 5/10
    It's dark, therefore it's scary.

Withnail & I 5/10
    Noticed this is one of M00ch's favourite British films, so thought to give it a try. Well, it's not for me. Hysterical sods.

Sherlock Holmes 6/10
    Beautiful art direction and photography, but how I hate this excessive cleverness that's dominating an entire branch of Hollywood movies.

Shutter Island 6/10
    It starts off as an interesting thriller (although the music is trying much too hard to get us in the right mood), but then Scorsese starts throwing in too many tormented DiCaprio faces and too many memories of dead people. And we start hoping that the predictable, totally unlikely and cliché twist will not take place. But it does. 'The most radical, cutting-edge role play ever attempted in psychiatry.' Yeah, sure.

The Joneses 6/10
    Nice idea; smoothly packaged; average film.

Svidd Neger 6/10
    Absurdist, politically incorrect drama set in a deserted Norwegian fjord. Not really memorable, but certainly refreshing.

Inception 6/10
    I expected a masterpiece, but it turned out to be entertainment in Hollywood style: lots and lots of chasing, in which the bad guys shoot thousands of bullets at the outnumbered good guys but never hit anyone, whereas the good guys... well, you get it. And then, of course, the chases and the all too narrow escapes in this case take place at three 'levels' simultaneously. Thus Inception turns into a cluster of nonsensical shootout scenes. The clustering is interesting, and the visuals are often stunning, but that's it. It's a film for nerds, like the communities who worked on the hilarious FAQ on IMDb, trying to rationalize every loose end of a scenario that is already over-rationalized. And what exactly was Ellen Page doing in this film, besides being a materialized voice over, explaining things to the audience every fifteen minutes?

The Hurt Locker 7/10
    A war movie that's about the people in it, not about the war, resulting in a certain lack of plot and direction, which is amusing.

El secreto de sus ojos [The Secret in Their Eyes] 7/10
    Stylish melodrama, part thriller, part love story, some political history. I never understood why this 'Romano' was so eager to not punish the murderer, though.

Import Export 7/10
    Once again, Ulrich Seidl shows very effectively that life sucks and that most people are assholes.

The Men Who Stare at Goats 7/10
    A good thing to have a satirical film about the US army, but it all remains a bit too lightweight and harmless.

The Road 7/10
    Decent genre film.

Aaltra 7/10
    Nice tragicomic variation on a road movie.

My Queen Karo 7/10
    Living in a squatter community in Amsterdam in the early seventies, seen through the eyes of a young girl. Maybe not as funny as Lukas Moodysson's Tilsammans, but a pleasure to watch nonetheless.

Synecdoche, New York 7/10
    The world is a stage. Yeah, right, but must you hammer in the message with such autistic persistency, Mr Kaufman? Nevertheless, enough to enjoy.

Cracks 8/10
    I didn't expect much from this debut film of Ridley Scott's daughter Jordan, but this is a wonderful movie, with some great acting. Reminded me of Picnic at Hanging Rock.

Flickering Lights 8/10
    Funny feelgood movie. Great characters.

Tetro 8/10
    Aesthetically a masterpiece, thematically a bit middle of the road.

Fish Tank 8/10
    Energetic, moving and unsentimental.

Shinboru [Symbol] 9/10
    Sometimes a bit silly and overacted, but mostly weird and unpredictable in the best sense of the word.

Adam's Apples 9/10
    Should have watched this earlier. Brilliant acting and brilliant script, full of surprises.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    A Serbian Film
    Sick! Sick! and re-sick!!
    This is reaching the extremes (in a good way). The atmosphere is very good and very intense and well.... it's just sick!
    what you will read about this movie is true, it is one of the sickest movie ever made, no doubt
    8/10
    Now I'm gona have a little break with these disturbing movies for real, back to normality I swear :) otherwise who knows I might turn into a serial killer soon ^^

• CommentAuthorrulo
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2010
    @Antituur, agree on Adam's Apples! very good movie, going to watch Anders Thomas Jensens movies "flickering lights" and "the green butcher very" soon.
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    Jensen rocks! :-) I'm sure you'll like those two as well.
  1.  permalink
    For comparison I have :

+ The Joneses --> 5/10
    + Tetro --> 5/10
    + Synecdoche, New York --> 5/10
    + The Road --> 5/10
    + Iron Man --> 6/10
    + The Men Who Stare at Goats --> 7/10
    + The Hurt Locker --> 7/10
    + Sherlock Holmes --> 7/10
    + El secreto de sus ojos --> 7/10
    + Fish Tank --> 7/10
    + Adam's aebler --> 7/10
    + Shutter Island --> 10/10
    + Inception --> 10/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    Dorian Gray, 60/100 - beautiful visually, wonderful story of course, nice cast, but overall the movie is quite boring and a wasted chance.
  2.  permalink
    + My Life Without Me (2003) --> Cute little movie but it felt like a deja-vu of lots of movies/tv shows --> 6/10
  3.  permalink
    + Love and Death (1975) --> Hahaha awesome comedy !! I loved the Bergman spoofs and there are tons of hilarious quotes! It goes directly in my top250 (actually it's a top271 : some choices are too hard to make lol) --> 8/10
  4.  permalink
    + The Killer Inside Me (2010) --> I loved the music, the directing was clever but overall it was a bit boring (except when Jessica Alba's ass was shown, obviously) --> 5/10
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2010
    Dans ma peau (in my skin)
    Fascinating movie but disappointing ending
    7/10

5.  permalink
    + Session 9 (2001) --> I had high expectations as it's a Brad Anderson movie (The Machinist) and it delivers what it promised. The tension is smartly rising, the plot is interesting so all in all it's a good thriller. Nevertheless it's not as awesome as his 3 years-later masterpiece :-) --> 7/10
  6.  permalink
    "Back to normality I swear" : A movie about self mutilation doesn't sound like "normality" to me Chrisy haha^^
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2010
    can't help it ^^
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2010
    To Die For 83/100 - great movie, great cast, Kidman's best performance.
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2010
    Triangle - 6,5/10. Not bad overall, although there are some things left unexplained. A decent thriller :)
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2010
    Vertigo. I know I know, what took me song long to watch Hitchcock movies. Great story, great performances, excellent twist, great movie. 8,5/10
  7.  permalink
    + Le bruit des glaçons (2010) --> Could have been great with better dialogues, plus the ending was really stupid... --> 4/10
    Any Frenchy saw it ?
  8.  permalink
    + The Castle in the Sky (1986) --> Miyazaki's movies are always so cute lol --> 7/10
  9.  permalink
    + Jonah Hex (2010) --> OMG what an awful movie!! "Centurion" and "Jonah Hex" in the same year? Can someone PLEASE give carreer advices to the talented Michael Fassbender ?
    Even Megan Fox's sexyness can't save this piece of garbage...
    Total waste of time, though we're lucky : if you don't count the credits the movie is like 70min long so at least you don't waste too much time (but spending 10€ for this has got to hurt...) --> 2/10
    • CommentAuthorShayah
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2010
    I just watched A very bitish gangster, not really impressive movie/documentary but a totally stunning character!
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    The Human Centipede

weirdest movie I have seen this year
  10.  permalink
    Was it good LordMyst? I heard some great things about it !
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2010 edited
    if you want to see a movie about three people who are connected with their gastric systems

then it is a movie for you @theoffice911
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    I'm very curious for that one too. I saw a trailer some time ago but well, trailers don't say it all..
    I just saw Eat, Pray, Love. Mediocre chick flick but Javier Bardem makes my heart beat faster :-) (not in a Country for Old Men ;-))
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    moua, nothing special about The Human Centipede, apart from the fact that the victims are connected with their gastric systems, there really is nothing original in this horror movie, just very basic...
    • CommentAuthorShayah
    That's not the last movie I've seen but I recently watched Gran Torino, and I was sooooooo disappointed. I mean, IMHO: miserable scenario, absolutely no surprises during the whole movie (I knew the whole story after the 10 first minutes, honestly!) poor acting (especially Eastwood), directing has really nothing special... Well, probably one of the worst movie I've seen in the last 5 years!
    I've never been a big fan of Eastwood but I really can't believe Gran Torino is often considered as one of his best movies!
    I probably have an "extreme" opinion, but am I the only one who hated this movie??
  11.  permalink
    I loved it (8/10) ! I thought Eastwood's acting was awesome.
    And I have to say that you're a very lucky man if you haven't seen a worse movie than Gran Torino in 5 years!
    • CommentAuthorShayah
    This is a big problem for me: I feel very lonely since I've seen it because every people I asked about it loved the movie, I'm jut looking for 1 single person in the world agreeing with me :) By the way, I'm not kidding, I was almost angry at the end of the movie, and since then I can't convince myself to see "Invictus"... Well, my whole life is fucked up now :)
    edit: well, you're probably right, I think I've seen worse movies, but they were not directed by Mr Eastwood and presented as great movies. Gran Torino was mybe not the worst, but the most disappointing for sure!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    I liked Eastwood's performance in G.Torino, but everyone else was terrible. The movie was decent but the supporting cast ruined it for me.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    You are not the only one Shayah, I didn't like Gran Torino, I thought Eastwood's ridiculous sounds and wining (my god I hated it so much!) and forced acting were awful! Not even mentioning the story which could not be more stereotyped. Baaaad movie ;)
    I gave it a 5/10 on IMDB which is also one of my lowest rating in years :)

Edit: and seeing shots of this movie of his face over and over on WTM was just torture
  12.  permalink
    Don't worry Shayah we all have movies we disliked even though everyone seemed to like it !
  13.  permalink
    + Salt (2010) --> It's hard to make a good movie when your scenario is that stupid... There are some cool action scenes and Angie is cute but it's not enough anymore to make a good action movie --> 4/10
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    Le Dernier des fous (The last of the crazy people)
    Not bad, especially for a debut film. But too bad it is so predictable and easy to guess how it's gona end already after 30 mns or less
    A bit slow, long shots with little dialogues, the story of a strange and very disfunctional familly. Characters and acting are very good but more could have been made with the story to push it a little bit further
    6.5/10

14.  permalink
    + How to Train Your Dragon (2010) --> Awesome animation movie, I really hate myself for not having seen it in 3D --> 7/10
  15.  permalink
    + Anything Else (2003) --> Good Woody Allen movie, I was scared of seeing Jason Biggs there but he was actually really good ! Everytime Woody was on the screen I laughed my ass off, he should have given himself (and Danny DeVito) more scenes --> 7/10
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2010
    Splice 7/10

good movie with some bad moments.
  16.  permalink
    + Ansiktet (The Magician) (1957) --> Fascinating Bergman movie. Max von Sydow is amazing, as usual. I love how Bergman use close-up in several scenes, it's brilliant. The last 15 minutes are breathtaking --> 7/10
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2010
    @theoffice

your description (fascinating, amazing, brilliant, breathtaking...) doesn't really fit somehow to the rating you give at the end (7/10).
  17.  permalink
    The stuff is that if I give an 8-9 or 10 the movie enters my top250 ; as much as I think this movie is billiant from a cinematographical point of view, it doesn't fit in my 250 favorite movies.
    I only have "Det sjunde inseglet" and "Smultronstället" in my top250, I have a great respect for Bergman's movies because they're always really clever and have a brilliant directing but usually the pace is too slow for me. Therefore I like them, I spend a good time, I can see how amazing the cinematography is but they don't fit my personal standard to be in my favorites.
    For example I absolutely love "Cruel Intentions" I gave it a 10/10 but I do know it's a "bad" movie, Ansiktet is by far a better movie but I still prefer Cruel Intentions. I don't know if I make myself clear but what I mean is that if you ask me "Which is a better movie "Cruel Intentions" or "Ansiktet" ?" I'd answer "Ansiktet" If you ask me "Which one did you prefer" I'd answer "Cruel Inentions"
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2010
    I wanted to ask you the same @theoffice911. You made yourself clear, yes, I understand your point. It's the same thing with my favourite song ever "I'm Easy" by Faith no More. But there so many better songs than this one and I would always say that sth by Led Zeppelin, Muse or Radiohead is better, but this one will always be my all time favourite :)
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    Yea, I get what you mean...thanks for explaining. I just wanted to mention it because it caught my attention, that you used so many exuberant words in a few sentences, plus not 1 single negative point about the movie and then it only gets 7/10...that made me wonder a bit. :)

Actually I rate movies quite similar like you. I also have for example some childhood favorites which I know are quite bad but I love them for the reminder of the good old times or I simply just enjoy them more, because they are more entertaining for me than a boring movie which has for example a better cinematography. At the end it always comes down to our personal taste, even I try to rate as objective as possible usually.

Btw, I love "Det sjunde inseglet" as well. Really an amazing movie + one of my favorites.

@Topic: Watched "The Pianist" yesterday evening for the first time. Really a very powerful movie about the holocaust, with an extremely outstanding performance of Adrien Brody. I'm sure most of you guys have seen it already. Solid 8/10 from me.

It was my 2nd movie of Roman Polanski (before I only watched "The Ghost Writer") and I liked them both, he is a great filmmaker in my eyes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    Seven Pounds 72/100 - muuuuuch worse second time around.
    • CommentAuthorShayah
    Breaking news: not the best movie from Johnnie To, but still good, no doubt he is one of the best directors around IMHO. BUT the opening scene is TOTALLY UNBELIEVABLE! You need to see this movie just for this scene, really!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2010 edited
    Eat Pray Love 60/100 - I was forced to go see this with my mother because she loves Bardem and the moments when she kept whispering"he is so pretty!"and "his voice is so hot!" where not only the most fun but also when I realized what I have is hereditary :) The movie was avarage - lots of great actors, nice cinematography, but despite warm message and good dialogues the film was boring. Roberts wasn't as annoying as she is usually, though. I don't get the hate for this movie.
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    I think I like your mum. She's right about Javier :-)))))))))))))
  18.  permalink
    My mom's in love with him too, except in No Country for Old Men ^^
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    Oh God I agree with everybody's mum hahahahaha, except I love Robert Downey and Johnny Depp too.
  19.  permalink
    Don't mention Depp to my mom she'd faint ! Though her biggest crushes are Robert Redford and Harrison Ford !
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    Hahaha ok then. I like them too... but not as much as the other guys. Your mums seem nice ladies to me, maybe we could watch a movie or two together :-)