Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.  permalink
    Exactly my thought on "Don't Look Now" it didn't age well ! The ending is creepy tho!
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2010
    My October movies

Hachiko: A Dog's Story 4/10
    Typical Hollywood remake treat: turning a sad story about an abandoned dog into a kitchy fairy-tale with all the nasty bits left out.

Gu ling jie shao nian sha ren shi jian [A Brighter Summer Day] 5/10
    Scores 8.5 on IMDb, but it's too long and too slow.

Hachi-ko 6/10
    Certainly better than the American remake. The weakest part is played by the dog, that never really turns into a character.

Joheunnom nabbeunnom isanghannom [The Good, the Bad, the Weird] 6/10
    Rather pointless Korean Western. Assets are the production value and the humour.

Eros 6/10
    Omnibus film by Michelangelo Antonioni, Steven Soderbergh and Wong Kar-Wai is disappointing as a whole, but has fascinating bits.

Idiocracy 6/10
    Does identifying a problem mean that you cannot be a part of it? On the one hand an at times certainly funny satire about mankind's growing stupidity, on the other hand a film that suffers itself from an overdose of banality.

Tykho Moon 6/10
    Nice atmosphere, but I suppose the sketchy story works better in a comic book.

Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis 6/10
    Silly but entertaining.

The Kite Runner 6/10
    Shame and honour, treason and redemption, cowardice and courage: there are many big themes in this film. Moreover, the story is told well, untill halfway that is. Then the film looses its subtlety and becomes cliché.

Død snø [Dead Snow] 7/10
    Well, no, I'm really not into splatter films. Yet, I can understand that this one is popular in certain circles. It's over the top while still playing by the rules of the genre. It's pleasantly simplistic and tremendously effective. And the movie location is of course a winner. Having said that, it remains entertainment for the brain dead. :P

The Trotsky 7/10
    Sympathetic Canadian high school comedy about a revolutionary student who thinks he is the reincarnation of Leon Trotsky.

Gloomy Sunday - Ein Lied von Liebe und Tod 7/10
    A bit too dramatic and slick - especially the Holocaust episode - but the story of the famous song and the ménage à trois that its composer is involved in is worth seeing.

Chloe 7/10
    The strength of the film is also its weakness: keeping the story very simple helps to build up the tension, yet it also keeps the characters shallow.

Boksuneun naui geot [Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance] 7/10
    The film has got style, which makes up for the not entirely convincing story.

Cidade de Deus 7/10
    Dynamically shot social realism does the job.

Un long dimanche de fiançailles 7/10
    Visually beautiful, as always with Jeunet, but the story isn't too interesting.

I Kina spiser de hunde [In China They Eat Dogs] 7/10
    Entertaining black comedy, with another fun screenplay by Anders Thomas Jensen.

Nankyoku ryôrinin [The Chef of South Polar] 7/10
    Film about a chef who cooks for 7 Japanese nerds in an arctic research centre. Poor characters, but location and food save the day.

Loft 7/10
    Exciting thriller, beautifully shot and cleverly told. Too many plot holes and red herrings, though.

Vikaren 8/10
    Very enjoyable schoolteacher-from-outer-space nonsense. An American shitty remake (The Substitute) is scheduled for 2011.

A Matter of Life and Death 8/10
    Classic theme, worked out in an imaginative way. Funny to see the prehistoric 'special effects' - or lack thereof.

Naissance des pieuvres 8/10
    The French Fucking Amal. Well made. Good acting.

Looking For Eric 8/10
    The unlikely combination of feel good movie, social realism and a touch of surrealism works remarkably well.

A Wednesday 8/10
    Undoubtedly a well made thriller, with the right amount of obligatory surprising twists. The message the movie seems to convey is highly debatable (read: totally deplorable), but maybe that should not be considered a weakness. And, thank God, no singing or dancing. ;-)

JSA: Joint Security Area 8/10
    Maybe mixing too many genres, but made with lots of talent, pleasure and wit.

Yi Yi: a One and a Two 8/10
    A sensitive film about a Taiwanese family whose members all search for meaning in their lives in their own way.

Kimssi pyoryugi [Castaway on the Moon] 9/10
    Irresistible love story about a man stranded on a deserted island in the middle of Seoul's Han river, and a shut-in girl who observes the world through a telephoto lens. With lots of potential great WTM-snapshots.

Anvil! The Story of Anvil 9/10
    Brilliant documentary about the obscure Canadian metal band that had its fifteen minutes of fame in the early eighties.
  2.  permalink
    Haaaa I'm glad you liked "A Wednesday" !!
    For comparison I have :
    + Boksuneun naui geot [Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance] --> 5/10
    + Idiocracy --> 6/10
    + Død snø --> 6/10
    + Bienvenue chez les Chtis --> 7/10
    + Looking For Eric --> 7/10
    + A Wednesday --> 7/10
    + Un long dimanche de fiançailles --> 7/10
    + Anvil! The Story of Anvil --> 10/10

In my Top250:

+ A Matter of Life and Death --> 8/10
    + Cidade de Deus --> 10/10
  3.  permalink
    + La Jetée (1962) --> One of the best short movies I've ever seen. No wonder "12 Monkeys" is so great !! --> 10/10
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    Yep, A Wednesday was just fine. And actually I also picked Anvil from your '5 Years'-list. :-)
  4.  permalink
    Glad it was useful !!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    a Nightmare on elm street 2010 - 3/10 - typical slasher movie with hilariously ridicoulus dialogues
    The Thing - 7/10 - for one "of the scariest movies of all time" it wasn't that scary.

Damn, last Halloween I saw "The orphan" which was great and now I'm without any good movie to watch :/
  5.  permalink
    + Gongdong gyeongbi guyeok JSA (200) : Great film with a topic I'd like to see more in movies! Chan-wook Park is really talented --> 7/10
  6.  permalink
    + Five Minutes of Heaven (2009) : James Nesbitt and Liam Neeson did a great job on this good movie about guilt and vengeance. Great directing by Oliver Hirschbiegel (Das Fall, Das Experiment) --> 7/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2010
    I saw Somewhere(2010) yesterday, a sweet little movie with a very slow pace(there is absolutely no action in it). I thought it was really good and it moved me. I liked Lost In Translation more though. 7.5/10!! + A funny story: A woman behind me in the cinema said that the movie should have been 30 minutes shorter -> Then the runtime only would've been 68 minutes -.- WTF!! I thought it was too short.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010 edited
    Looking forward to Somewhere as well.
    All of Sofia’s movie have that special something, love it.

I agree with theoffice on the American.. Excellent cinematography and Clooney couldn’t safe the foreseeable plot.

I watched a bunch of crap the last days, Resident Evil really went down from the first installation, forget the rest.
  7.  permalink
    Grrr I don't like when people agree with me!
    Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong - Oscar Wilde
  8.  permalink
    My October movies

"The Dreamers" : the character interpreted by Eva Green is quite disturbing and she spent most of her time naked in a constant atmosphere of forbidden lust ... it's not a bad movie, far from this but it's one of this french movie you sometimes do not understand. Let's say 7/10.

In the same genre, "Les anges exterminateurs" of Brisseau. The story of a movie director who try to capture the very essence of feminine pleasure by exposing himself to the morally litigious situation which will obviously get him into trouble. Really good casting. A good movie. 8/10

"The Rocky Horror Picture Show" : Awesome 9/10

"The Matrix" : Good concept and good movie even if there are many bloopers (but every blockbuster is full of them).8/10

"The Matrix Revolutions" : The logical following of Reloaded I think. I really like the images from Neo's vision at the end of the movie. Less good than the first one of course. 6/10

"Mercury Rising" : An autistic kid who can crack a 1 or 2 billion dollars code needs some help : Bruce Willis is there to save the kid (and the day). Good action movie => no need to have a brain btw. 7/10

"Blood Work" : Clint Eastwood, retired FBI agent after a heartattack, will help a women to discover what happened to her dead sister. Good cop movie with an effective Eastwood. 8/10

"Kôkaku Kidôtai" (aka Ghost in the Shell) : Effective and beautiful animation. 8/10

"Speed Racer" : Not that good in comparison with amazing images of the movie. Story : 6/10, Visual Aspect : 9/10

And there are dozens of movies again but it will be for another time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010 edited
    Suspiria 85/100 - amazing music and visual side, cool elements (the ballet school, death scenes) in typical (given the vilain) story, many suspensful scenes. The movie was way more scary than "The Thing" so I'm glad this is what I saw on Halloween. BTW I hope the plans of doing remake are gone now...
    •  
      CommentAuthortorqu3
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010
    Red - 3/5
    The Other Guys - 3/5
    • CommentAuthorRenko
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2010 edited
    Salt - OK, but nothing special...
    Due Date - Some hilarious moments and likeable actors in a buddy/road movie - no masterpiece, but i like it ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2010
    Oh God, I envy you - I'm seeing DD tomorrow, I can't wait! :)
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    Going to the premiere of Due Date tonight:), well actually the premiere is at 19.20, and I'm going to the 22.00 show, but anyways, very looking forward to it:)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    You're killing me! :D
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    Strange Circus
    Not a masterpiece, sometimes a bit confusing but really interesting Nevertheless. Nice little weird and crazy Japanese horror Flick :)
    7/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorMichele
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2010
    shutter island, great movie, just loved it
    inception - needless to say anything more
    hair(again) - just perfect *-*
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    Due Date 85/100 - I loved it. I had no expectations other than "yeah RDJ!!!!" after reading mixed and bad reviews but the movie shocked me - it's an amazing mix of hilarious, tender and disturbing moments. You predict something will happen and then it doesn't, because the tone of the film changes in the matter of seconds many times. Zack, Robert and the dog are hilarious, some moments had me shaking with laughter. And as a fan of Robert I'm genuinely impressed - he played such an arrogant asshole, but with so many different sides to him - it was completely new and in one scene I was actually scared of him. This is so different from "The Hangover" - it's not as funny, but it deals with important issues and has 2 characters I really cared for during the movie.
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    And one character you want to take home after the movie ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    Actually I rather have real Robert his character was pretty cruel and violent :)
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    Oh ok haha
    • CommentAuthorLeonardoS
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2010
    Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1588895/
    • CommentAuthorRenko
    Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - As geeky and funny i hoped, but not really expected! Rating: AWESOME ;)
  9.  permalink
    + Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010) - As Renko said : AWESOME !! I loved the directing and I've loved Michael Cera since "Arrested Development" --> A huge 7/10 !
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    Due Date.
    Everything Sati said about it :-)
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2010
    Social Network - not impressed at all. Definitely not one of Fincher's best. A decent drama, but nothing new, nothing spectacular. 6,5/10.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2010
    Persepolis - 83/100 - Beautiful animation and wonderful story.
  10.  permalink
    + Grown Ups (2010) --> I expected a bad movie according to the critics, I didn't find it that bad ! --> 6/10
  11.  permalink
    + Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010) --> Damn Gemma Arterton is the cuttest girl on Earth... Awww those lips!! The story was really basic but it's a Disney movie so it's not that important --> 6/10
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010 edited
    Rope and Dirty Dozen - I liked Rope, especially its story, but can't give it more than a 7, comparing it to other Hitchhock's movies. Dirty Dozen - a big thanks to my boyfriend for making me watch this one. Excellent movie, with unforgettable characters - 9/10.
  12.  permalink
    Awesome Tamara!! I gave "Rope" a 9/10 and "The Dirty Dozen" 8/10 ! Both on my top250 =)
  13.  permalink
    + Buried (2010) --> Great Ryan Reynolds (only actor on screen for 1h35 !) very basic story but awesome last 2 minutes ! I loved the cinematography, there are like 2 or 3 sources of light in the movie and they're greatly used --> 7/10
  14.  permalink
    + Rocky Balboa (2006) --> My favorite Rocky, the fight always gives me goose bumps and there are some awesome speech in there. Stallone's directing is awesome (especially the fight) and Rocky is the best !! Third time I watch it and I still love it. I remember the first time I watched it, I stood up during the last 15 minutes like it was a real sport event! --> 9/10

"I'd hold you up to say to your mother, "this kid's gonna be the best kid in the world. This kid's gonna be somebody better than anybody I ever knew." And you grew up good and wonderful. It was great just watching you, every day was like a privilige. Then the time come for you to be your own man and take on the world, and you did.
    But somewhere along the line, you changed. You stopped being you. You let people stick a finger in your face and tell you you're no good. And when things got hard, you started looking for something to blame, like a big shadow. Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain't you! You're better than that! I'm always gonna love you no matter what. No matter what happens. You're my son and you're my blood. You're the best thing in my life. But until you start believing in yourself, ya ain't gonna have a life."
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010
    Nice coincidence LovelyT :)
    I watched rope too, this week (actually a rewatch). And I also gave it a 7/10 with the same argument.
  15.  permalink
    + Click (2006) --> Hey it wasn't that bad. I'm kinda frustrated by the ending, I would have looved to see the movie ends on the low note but it's an Adam Sandler movie so you need your cliché ending =( There were some funny moments, some really ones so overall I liked it (plotholes everywhere tho haha) --> 6/10
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010
    Magnificent Seven and Phantom of the Opera (2004). The first one is an excellent western with a great story - 8/10. Phantom of the Opera has everything that a musical must have in my opinion, great vocal performances, grandiosity and first of all, perfect music. The story is very interesting as well, but there is something missing, so I will give it a 7.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2010
    Machete, Machete, Machete, Macheeeteee
  16.  permalink
    Can't wait for Machete!!!
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2010 edited
    machete was awesome

but yesterday I saw Avatar The Last Airbender => 2/10

the cartoon was one the best cartoons I saw in the last 10 years
    and I heard a lot of bad things about the live action movie
    but damn they were right, what a piece of shit

I gave it a 2 because of the nice special effects
    • CommentAuthormolly1988
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2010
    Machete 9/10.. Awesome movie

Mr Nobody 7/10 Nice but too bizarre

Wild Target 7/10 Love Bill Nighy:D
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2010
    A Matter of Life and Death - just great and so lovely - 8,5/10.
  17.  permalink
    Yeaaa Tamara! You're watching awesome movies lately =)
    All in my top250^^
  18.  permalink
    + The Last Airbender (2010) --> Wow that was bad. With a $150,000,000 movie you could expect decent actors but nope... The editing was awful too, there were tons of useless scenes! The ending suggests a sequel but I'm not sure M. Night Shyamalan will find a producer stupid enough to follow him on that one! --> 3/10 (nice special effects)
    •  
      CommentAuthorenerg
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2010
    Today I saw Sint, a project from Dick Maas (Amsterdamned, Flodder). I'd say 7/10 for dutch folks but 5/10 for the rest of the world. I found it amusing and the action and cgi was okay, the acting and dialogue was bad.
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2010
    Today I saw The Other Guys. Very funny, crazy, stupid movie. Nice starting scene, if you like it you'll like the whole movie, if you don't you probably wont:)
    Good cast with some famous names who only have like 5 min screentime, nevertheless 8/10
    • CommentAuthorTalie
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010
    I just got back from Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole . Story wasn't something special - movie definitely for children,but these pictures ... something amazing and beautiful, just breath taking.

Little Shop of Horrors from Roger Corman. Given that, I watched the movie after drinking a bottle of wine, I consider that a talking plant eating human meat is really cool ;)
    The trailer was right - so terrible, that's ridiculous: D