Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorlovelyT
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2010
    Yes, she was good in these two. But I don't think she's the kind of actress that will ever be at her best. She is always ordinary :)
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    My November movies Part I

Soul Kitchen 3/10
    Very poor German comedy. Felt like an episode of a soap series.

Lars and the Real Girl 4/10
    I know I'm supposed to be touched, but I found it impossible to suspend my disbelief here. Or isn't it meant as drama? But then what? Comedy? Parody?

Liverpool 4/10
    Silent loner travels to the southern most tip of Argentina, which is cold, poor and inhabited by other silent loners, some rabbits, someone who apparently is his demented mother and a mysterious girl. And then he leaves again. I'm happy to go through a lengthy build-up, but if there is no reward in the end, it's all rather useless. Irritating is also the absence of close-ups, which reminded me of Jia Zhangke's film Zhantai [Platform]: only middle-shots, and at the end of the movie you still don't know what the main characters really look like.

Saibogujiman kwenchana [I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK] 4/10
    The opening scene is fine, but then it's silly, boring and pointless, despite the beautiful images.

Cypher 4/10
    They call this a 'brainteaser'? I'd say it's totally unbelievable nonsense. Too bad, since it's shot with style and the references to other films are enjoyable.

Robin Hood 4/10
    Not telling the story of the guy in the woods but making the film as a prequel, is, admittedly, sort of original. But did Robin Hood need to be turned into the Forrest Gump of English history? Just another example of how Ridley Scott can waste enormous amounts of cash and craft on making crap.

Ai no mukidashi [Love Exposure] 5/10
    237 minutes long Japanese slapstick-slash-romance-slash-coming-of-age circling around religion and sex, or rather religious cults and kung fu upskirt photography (what else?). It was widely acclaimed by critics and scores 8.1 on IMDb, but it didn't work for me. Yes, it's inventive, daring, over-the-top and has at it's heart a point to make about desire and morality, but it's also childish and hysterical. And very unconvincing was the casting of schoolgirls as leaders of a cult church.

Janghwa, Hongryeon [A Tale of Two Sisters] 5/10
    Stylish but unnecessary Korean haunted house meets evil stepmother drama. Everything is very much according to the conventions of the genre. The American 2009 remake The Uninvited is supposedly significantly weaker still.

Bella Martha 6/10
    Sweet and balanced little movie about a serious female chef in a Hamburg restaurant, loosening up under the influence of an Italian sous-chef (there's a touch of romance), an 8-year old niece (a touch of drama) and a psychiatrist (a touch of comedy).

Sepet [Chinese Eyes] 6/10
    Malaysian love story that deals with, and comments on, racial tensions between Malay and Chinese parts of the population. Popular in Malaysia, but I presume that quite a few subtleties are lost in translation.

Cube 6/10
    A thriller with potential, but a bit too schematic. Main problem is that the characters are caricatures, whereas they should have been the leading force in this 'Huis clos'-kind of story.

Nowhere Boy 6/10
    Film about John Lennon's childhood. As we already know what will happen next there isn't much room to build up tension or suspense. So whereas Lennon's upbringing is dramatic in nature, the film feels somewhat slick.

Milyang [Secret Sunshine] 6/10
    Subtle but not too exciting psychological drama set in a Korean provincial town.

Vier Minuten 6/10
    Eighty-something years old bitter female piano teacher trains a self-destructive gifted female inmate in a German prison. Interesting starting point, good acting, skillfully interwoven themes, but it's all a bit overdone. And too many questions are left unanswered.

Ne le dis à personne 6/10
    Thriller that sort of looks OK and has a good amount of suspense, but the further the plot unravels, the more far-fetched and improbable it all gets.

Welcome to Dongmakgol 6/10
    South Korean 2005 blockbuster set in the early days of the Korean War. A couple of soldiers from both sides find themselves stranded in a remote mountain village. Sentimental, childish and overacted at times, but also funny and beautifully filmed.

Oorlogswinter [Winter in Wartime] 6/10
    Decent film about the subject that dominated Dutch film industry for decades (collaboration and resistance under German occupation in WWII), but it could have been made, say, thirty years earlier.
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    My November movies Part II

Mister Lonely 7/10
    Two stories, about flying nuns and a commune of celebrity impersonators, mixed for no good reason. Certainly not a very good film, but so weird that it deserves sympathy.

Kunsten å tenke negativt [The Art of Negative Thinking] 7/10
    Norwegian black comedy about a disability support group. Pleasantly politically incorrect.

Tron 7/10
    Ridiculous acting, ridiculous dialogues, irritating sound, but nice graphics and extra points for the bold experiment.

Last Resort 7/10
    A young Russian woman and her son come to England to meet her fiancé. When he doesn't show up they end up classified as refugees. Delicate minimalist drama by director Pawlikowski who four years later would make the brilliant My Summer of Love.

Ratcatcher 7/10
    If you're a sucker for misery, this Scottish film will appeal to you. But not nearly as good as Lynne Ramsey's second feature film, Morvern Callar.

Tokyo Sonata 7/10
    A man loses his job, doesn't tell his wife, and pretends to go to work each day. It's the start of the downfall of an ordinary Japanese family. A somewhat bizarre denouement undermines the consistency of the film.

Il y a longtemps que je t'aime 8/10
    Fine piece of character drama.

Stellet Licht 8/10
    Beautiful film, set in a Mennonite community in Mexico, but maybe someone can tell director Carlos Reygadas that present day film viewers have acquired a certain visual intelligence that permits them to understand the concept of elapsing time, without necessarily having to relive it.

The Social Network 8/10
    Rather straightforward but well told piece of fictional history. And the subject is timely of course.

The American 9/10
    The best kind of film: one in which the images do the talking, not the characters.

Last Train Home 9/10
    Documentary covering three years in the life of a Chinese migrant couple, having left their two children with their peasant grandmother in Sichuan, to work in a factory in Guangzhou. We experience their annual struggle to return home for the New Year and the revolt of their teenage daughter who drops out of school. She doesn't want to wait for a better life, she wants to be part of the new generation of consumers. The strength of the documentary is the way the history of the single family illustrates the changing state of the nation.

Yeo-Haeng-Ja [A Brand New Life] 9/10
    Semi-autobiographical story about a nine year old Korean girl left by her single father for adoption in a Catholic orphanage. Heartbreaking, yet light and unsentimental. Great acting, great cinematography.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    Wow you watch a lot of movies Antituur, but I love your monthly reviews because you use the whole scale!
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    Well, you know the saying, 'A film a day keeps the doctor away'. ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    Yeah okay, I only watch about 4 movies a week :P!.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2010
    I watched the Social Network today and I must say it was a big disappointment. It could never meet my high expectations and I was bored throughout the movie. I really don't get it why it is hyped that much. It lacked emotional depth which imho it should have since the underlying story is about friendship and betrayal because of money. 4/10
  1.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    Ha, I was looking forward to your comparison. A few major differences this time. :-)
  2.  permalink
    #
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    for me Lars and the real girl is 8,5/10 such a charming, warm movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregov
    "Calvaire" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407621/

really disturbing and great psychological thriller.
  3.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    @antituur
    Janghwa, Hongryeon 5/10--> I liked the Uninvited (7/10) more, because it has a little less complicated story. I think you have to see the korean original about 3 times and still you don't understand half of it. At least, that's for me:)
    Cube 7/10
    Oorlogswinter 7/10
    Robin Hood 8/10
  4.  permalink
    #
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregov
    @theoffice911 "but it's fun to see a French movie that disturbing!"

so You haven't seen "Martyrs", "A l'interieur" or "Haute Tension"? :D
  5.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    @theoffice911 Well maybe it's because I first saw The Uninvited and expected something else from the Korean original. I understood it only after reading IMDB and other reviews where for the Uninvited I had my WTF-moment at the twist:)

But I guess I'm just too stupid or you are too smart:)
    • CommentAuthorfabster
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2010 edited
    Just saw the new Harry Potter. I didn't expect too much, because i already knew it was only going to be the build-up for the finale. Really liked the first hour or so, but I thought most of the second part was a real bore. And then it just kinda ended abruptly. Got to see it in the original language version, which was great.

Really looking forward to the last part, though.
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2010 edited
    Some movies this week...
    "Jalsaghar" (1958), fourth movie of Satyajit Ray, a pure masterpiece, nothing to add, just watch it if you don't have. 10/10
    "Pépé le Moko" (1937), Julien Duvivier... Jean Gabin excellent in this "french scarface" movie, Algiers, the casbah... Great 8,5/10
    "The Bride of the Gorilla" (1958) Curt Siodmak... A cheap B that wanted to be a psychological drama... Raymond Burr very good and Lon Chaney Jr. apathic... (They hated themselves) A quite good B 6,5/10
    "Le Diable Boîteux" (1948), Sacha Guitry directed and played this nice Biography of Talleyrand, and through the movie the attempt for him to justify... Great direction, great acting. 8,5/10
    "The Exiles", (1961) a Kent Mackenzie's wonderfull "reality movie" about the life of Indians on Bunker hill (Los Angeles) in the 60's... Very moving movie on on people, places and times that have now disappeared... 8,5/10
    Watched on TV "The Fugitive" (1993) Boring action movie, Harrison Ford can't save this crap... 4,5/10 (and I'm in a good day...).
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2010
    A Serious Man
    Good movie but also a bit desapointing, especially the end. Overal it's average and not that memorable. But I enjoyed it
    7/10

Machete
    Over the top and entertaining fun. Nothing more, nothing less
    7.5/10
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    Girl with a Pearl Earring - nothing special. As a great fan of Vermeer and his paintings I learned more about his time and his persona, but apart from that the movie didn't shot anything new. Character of his wife couldn't be more plain and boring, I really didn't feel anything for her. Colin Firth is great as cold and charming Vermeer, this is really his type of a role and Scarlett is very nice as Griet. I liked Cillian Murphy and Tom Wilkinson who just don't have bad roles in their list of movies. All in all, a great portrait of 17th century Netherlands and Catholics then, but as already written, nothing special, 7/10.
  6.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    last friday I saw Harry Potter 7 pt 1

great movie better than 6 and the rest (6 was my least favourite of the movies)

but the books are better then all the movies
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    I'm seeing HP tomorrow, unfortunetly with retarded Polish dubbing :/
    I saw "Rosemary's baby" for second time after many years, it was great, 88/100 - it's not as brilliant as "Repulsion", though, and I still have to see "The Tenant".
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    why watch a dubbed movie I still can't understand it, that movies are being dubbed by some countries. I can understand dubbing for kids. But why not show the original version and the dubbed version in the cinema's

@sati
    Onetime I saw a movie in a cinema in Poland with polish subtitles (thank god no dubbin) So there are movies with subtitles :)

it was the first mr bean movie by the way
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    They show both versions, unfortunetly the subtitled copy is being screened in the evenings and I only have the time to go to the cinema in the afternoon.
    Usually films here are with subtitles, sometimes they do dubbing for movies for kids and sometimes 'movies for kids' expand on Alice in Wonderland and Hp :D
    •  
      CommentAuthortorqu3
    November:

The Other Guys - 2.5/5
    Red - 3/5
    Fido - 4.5/5
    Catch Me If You Can - 4/5
    The Lion King - 4.5/5
    Dellamorte Dellamore - 5/5
    Face Off - 3/5
    Shade - 3/5
    Get Carter - 2/5
    Memento - 5/5
    King Arthur - 3/5
    Kingdom Of Heaven - 4/5
    The Grifters - 2/5
    Murder My Sweet - 3.5/5
    The Ghost Writer - 3/5
    The Gift - 3/5
    The Loved Ones - 2/5
    Bordello of Blood - 4/5
    The Last Airbender - 1.5/5
    Bill And Teds Bogus Journey - 2/5
    Grown Ups - 3.5/5
    Vampires - 3.5/5
    Salt - 3/5
    30 Days of Night Dark Days - 2/5
    To Kill A Mockingbird - 3.5/5
    The Karate Kid (2010) - 3/5
    Splice - 4/5
    Srpski Film - 4.5/5
    Ong Bak 3 - 2/5
    Jonah Hex - 3/5
    High Spirits - 4/5
    Every Which Way But Loose - 3/5
    All The Boys Love Mandy Lane - 3/5
    Up In The Air - 4/5
    The Answer Man - 4/5
    Silverado - 3.5/5
    I love you Beth Cooper - 2/5
    G.I. Joe - The Rise Of Cobra - 3/5
    Blood In, Blood Out - 4/5
    Dogtooth - 4/5
    7 Days - 3/5
    Heartless - 3/5
    Jaws - 4.5/5
    Linewatch - 2/5
    Piranha - 4/5
    Piranha II - 1.5/5
    Piranha (2010) - 3/5
    Resident Evil - Afterlife - 1/5
    Sheitan - 3.5/5
    The Mist - 4/5
    El crimen Ferpecto - 4/5
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010
    "Sparrows" (1926), One of the best (the best ?) movie of William Beaudine... How imagine the Z movies he will direct in the 50's... A pure masterpiece, with Mary Pickford in her best role (dixit Chaplin himself!!) A very moving and frightening story (adapted from true events), a great direction (the children are incredible), a wonderfull setting, the sequence when the childs try to cross the swamp is simply marvelous and so frightening... People who liked Laughton's "the night of the hunter" will like this movie... 10/10 of course...
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010 edited
    Gainsbourg (Vie héroïque)
    Not bad but it's a shame the movie is only focusing on Gainsbourg love stories for 2 hours and is caricaturing his personality
    Luckelly some scenes are quite poetic and this is the only thing which saves the movie
    6.5/10
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010
    You're in a good day Chrisy... I'd give 4/10 no more... :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    So I saw new Harry Potter, I give it 74/100 - it was the most mature movie yet, but there was a bit too much of Twilight-style romantic scenes, what was up with all the woods, longing looks and love triangle? I did not expect that from HP. Also there was ridiciulous moment with Ron's nightmare coming true - so cheesy and stupid. Tons of great scenes, though - dancing scene (Nick Cave in the background!, the sequence in the creepy house, the wedding. Great Rhys Ifans as Luna's dad and fantastic animation sequence. I also loved Emma Watson's performance. SPOILER The ending where they kill Dobby was one of the most sadistic things I've seen in a long time, that was so heartbreaking! What the hell was that, he was the cutest character in the series :( END OF SPOILER
    • CommentAuthorRenko
    Movies the last days:

The Kids are all right - Great actors making a bad plot enjoyable - 6.5/10
    Shopgirl - Jason Schwartzman! But also a bit boring... - 4/10
    Leaves of Grass - Enjoyable (Edward Norton - twice ;) ), but nothing special - 5-6/10

Inception - Second time, got my bluray today yay ;), and for me the movie is still outstanding gorgeous! 10/10
  7.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010
    @sati

I can read in your shout that you only watch the movies and not readt the books

SPOILER it was indeed heartbreaking in the book and in the movie END SPOILER

but please read the books you get far more information
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    Harry Potter is not the kind of book I like to read:)
  8.  permalink
    Amores Perros (or How I stopped doing anything and loved the dog :P ) .. 5/10

The movie was going on and on.. too lengthy.. First story cud have been shorter.. Dont know whats the use of second story.. Only third story was saving grace..
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    "The Stalking moon" (1968) a nice forgotten western of Robert Mulligan, it is like the opposite of "the Seachers" and canbe watched like a film noir (i.e. "Cape Fear") with an invisible terrifying enemy. The photography is wonderfull, very nice landscapes... The directing is very good... a movie to discover 8/10
    "Blast of Silence"(1961) THE film of Allen Baron (he wrote, directed and had the tittle role) I (re)watched it in a ciné-concert, with a band that plays the soundtrack... It's trully a very nice and powerfull movie, and a must to see to all New York lovers... 8,5/10
  9.  permalink
    #
  10.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    Harry Potter 7 :) Interesting, with a great story, but some slow moments. I think the last part will be great. 7,5/10
    And I agree with @theoffice911 - books are definitely worth reading, they are much better than the movies :)))
  11.  permalink
    #
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010
    Maggie Smith wasn't in that part, right? I've just realized that, damn she is my fav Hogwart's teacher!
    Fish tank, 5/10 - ok movie, kinda pointless, though. In comparision to "Precious" which came to my mind it's definetly more subtle, and thanks to that believable, but not memorable. Great performances from Jarvis and Fassbender.
  12.  permalink
    Today I watched The Human Centipede, just for fun and haha, it was worth it! Plain interpretations by those two girls and way too less blood than I was expecting lol. Plus the film didn't bring anything new in terms of horror films, except maybe the lack of sanity of the writer/director and everyone else involved in the making of this awful project. 3/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    theoffice - my friend has murderous look in her eyes when she yells "U HAVE TO READ THEM" so I guess I hae no choice:d
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    Sati, you won't regret reading Harry Potter. I'm sure!
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    The host
    Mouhaaa, not convincing 5.5/10

Guess what's gona be in my mail box in a few days

:)
  13.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    Fantastic Mr. Fox - 7/10 - nothing special. I expected more because of all the fuss around this one.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010 edited
    @ theoffice911
    Best is to watch it in blueray if you can, I heard the quality is awesome! but seriously such a shame to only watch it on dvd, the experience cannot even come close :(
    And be carefull which version you get: uncut or not ;)
    I'm getting the collector limited edition, it contains the normal dvd, the blueray, the short and the long version, a book, deleted scenes... I want it ALL and will probably end up looking at it for hours, days and weeks :)