Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJohannaP
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2010
    Moon. Impressive movie! 8/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregov
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2010 edited
    "The Town" - quite good movie, lot of shooting. Affleck is way better director than actor, 'cause in some scenes he tried so hard to look like a nasty gangster, while Renner had only to appear on the screen, with this madness in his eyes and that was it :)

@JohannaP: Moon is one of my favourite 2009 movies :) I'm really looking forward to see Duncan Jones next movie: "Source Code" (trailer: youtube.com/watch?v=aKtr9ZAooc8 ). And guess who did the score again ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    Vincent Cassel is such a terrific actor, I would truly get in euphoria state if he got Oscar nomination this year, but this is probably nto going to happen.

Enter the Void 84/100 - I was scared I will not be able to watch this movie, due to my dislike to Irreversible, but since I'm fascinated with afterlife I liked it a lot. It was great apart from the last scene, which I thought was thrown only for viewer's benefit and too repetetice 3rd act. But the cinematography is out-of-this world - at one point there is white sceen and insane blinking and I actually closed my eyes 'cause I was scared I'd get a seizure. Very consistent and interesting movie, definetly insanely original.
  1.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    The Blues Brothers - great fun, excellent comedy, with some over the top scenes, but really enjoyable. I had some good laughs, Belushi and Aykroyd are hilarious, 8/10.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    Kick-Ass
    Ok well, I enjoyed it, it was fun but not really exceptional. The teen story was just a bit annowing but I like the rythm, the actions scenes were nice but it is lacking a bit more substance.
    7/10
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    Hard Candy - good movie, although left unexplained, imo and some things are hard to believe, for example, how a 45 kilo 14-year old girl can do all these things to a grown man, both mentally and physically. But all in all, interesting story and well played by Ellen Page and Patrick Wilson. 7,5/10
  2.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2010 edited
    Hi ! lot of things this week-end...
    Re-watched two Hitch's movies in theatre "Frenzy" (1972) 9/10 and "Psyscho" (1960) 10/10 in it's new remastered copy Great ones !!...
    Always in theatre, the new remastered copy for Visconti's masterpiesce "Il Gattopardo" 10/10 a pure jewel a must to see in these conditions...
    "Coeur Fidèle" (1923) of Jean Epstein a pure masterpiece of poetry and direction. For exemple watch the sequence on the mery-go-round, wich is allway's sutied in cinema's school... 10/10
    "Nanook of the north" (1922) 10/10 a great movie...
    "Salesman" (1968) a masterpiece of the Maysles Brothers, very moving and disturbing movie... 10/10
    "Les avaleuses" (1978) A Jesus Franco's movie with the first maim role for Lina Romay as a sexual vampire (she does'nt say a word during all the movie!! but is it a problem ??)... 5/10.
    "The naked Witch" (1961) Hé Hé.. Hé Hé Hé.. Hé Hé... A pure pathetic budgetless Z movie 3/10
    "The Hot Pearl Snatch" (1966) Rhaaaaaa ! 2/10 more broke you can't... A Z-nudie with a weird guy who strangle a girl with a pearl necklace while watching to lesbians in the next room...
    "Oci ciornie" (1987) Nikita Mikhalkov's movie is quite predictible but a very good and touching Mastrionani a very nice photography, great music and a good dose of Irony and satire... 8/10
    That's all for today !!
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2010 edited
    Four more today
    "Verboten!" (1959) A nice movie of Samuel Fuller, the plot is very interresting and original (the first years of occupation of Germany by the american troops), the photography is excellent, the first part of the movie is very well made, only the second part is a bit weaker :7,5/10.
    "Breeders" (1986) ha ha ha, snif! sob!.... : a weird alien comes to earth and rapes all the cutest girls in New-York... he wants to reproduct !! Pathetic plot, pathetic acting, pathetic direction, even special effects are ridiculous... 1,5/10... only for "so bad that it's good" fans...
    "Things to come" (1936) William Cameron Menzies made a very good adaptation of H.G. Wells novel... Wells is at the screanplay himself too very good, (I think a bit underrated) one of the first Sci-Fi movie, the first part is particulary awsome, and impressive... 8,5/10.
    on TV watched to "Gangs of New York" (2002) well made (Scorsese is allways Scorsese even with a poor plot) but soooo predictible after 20 min you know what's going to happen, screenplay and dialogs are very poor... disapointing... 6,5/10 only for Martin...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2010
    I saw Golden Globe Nominations. Scariest horror of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2010
    I saw Maid in Manhattan, by pure accident after long night of learning I figured since it's on I need to relax. It was actualy a very cute movie and I was so disturbed to see Ralph Fiennes, who is usually so creepy and scary playing such an adorable prince charming. Good God, seeing Voldemort in tuxedo, dashing, smiling and dancing with J.Lo was surreal. Of course it was a predictible, silly, generic movie but Fiennes made it worth it and Stanley Tucci is always fun to watch + lovely Norah Jones's songs are on the soundtrack. 60/100 I may even watch "English Patient" now, even though I hate this film, just for pretty sights...:D

Love Actually 97/10 to celebrate this time of a year, one of the most charming movies ever. I cry because I'm moved, then I cry because I'm laughing. I bawl like a moron every time I see "to me you are perfect" scene. The cast is amazing and Bill Nighy creates the most hilarious character in british comedy since Spike in Notting Hill. And now till the end of this year "Christmas all around" is almost on repeat :)
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    "Agora" (2009)... very disappointong, the plot was very interresting but the script is to superficial and poor and sometime complacent, some historical errors. and approximations.. To ambitious I suppose. Acting is not so good. It's always the same problem when Hollywood tries to adapt history and especialy the Antiquity. You have rarely some good things like "Gladiator" and many bad things like "Centurion", "the last Legion", "shock of the titans" (the last one) "Troy", "Alexander"... and "Agora". 5,5/10
    "Pétrole! Pétrole!" (1981) Pathetic french comedy at its best... a bunch of french movie stars (hé hé !!) Incredible!! 5/10 (for geeks of this genre a 10/10 must to see !! )
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    I agree about Agora, it was very disappointing.
  3.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthoraril
    @theoffice
    You're dating 17-year-olds now? lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    yep, that happens during all Depp movies, the audiance is really too..outspoken about him:)
    I guessed the twist from the trailer, really lame story.
  4.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2010
    @Sati That's because he's handsome, charismatic, nice, sexy and a good actor.
    :-))))))))))))))))))))))))
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    He is, I agree. But there are plenty of actors like that.
    Depp's teenage admirers are so dedicated, every single time I go to cinema to see movies with him, no matter what it is, the theatre is packed and God forbid he dies in the movie. Trauma, cries, apocalypse :)
  5.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    I agree completely with @theoffice911 :) Mind the fact that he is good looking, he is really a great actor!!!
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    He really is. But the problem is that when I say that, people only think I do because of his looks.
  6.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2010
    "He ran all the way" (1951) The movie of John Barry is well known as the last "film noir" it's although the last movie of John Garfiled. The end of a generation of movie makers, actors that will be the victims of McCarthism. A very sad movie "a movie about misery" told Barry... A must to see 9,5/10
    "The Land" (1942) a poorly known movie of Robert Flaherty. People who loved the books of Walker Evans and James Agee "Let Us Now Praise Famous Men" or the fabulous work of Dorothea Lange and Paul Taylor, "An American Exodus, A Record of Human Erosion" will love this movie... very moving even if the conclusion is optimistic... 9/10.
    Weather doesn't seem to be good this week-end... Lot's of new movies for monday !! ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2010
    The Constant Gardener 95/100 - I saw this movie only once, when it premiered in theatres and I remember I cried a lot during two moments. Well this time I cried even harder, during same moments, including the incredible ending. Such a wonderful movie, beautiful and very original love story and the acting is amazing.
  7.  permalink
    Just came back from the theather where I watched Tron: Legacy in 3D with @juliafurlani, @thaizy and @bexmsy. One word: wow! Awesome experience. 8/10
  8.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorfabster
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2010 edited
    The Social Network

Yeah, there's some nice, sharp dialogue. And Eisenberg does a good job, portraying a character that's likeable and unlikeable at the same time. Otherwise I didn't find the movie engaging at all. Another total snoozefest like Benjamin Button (that at least had some nice visuals) by Fincher. I wish he'd go back to this Se7en/The Game/Fight Club days.

4/10
  9.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2010 edited
    "Meito bijomaru" (1945) one of the few movie of Mizogushi about samourais, but mainly it's a movie about art and it's signifiance and soul. It shows the men and their "power" on a sad and pathetic angle even if the film was a command during those times of war. Nice movie 9/10.
    "Le Soupirant" (1962) First movie of the "french Buster Keaton" Pierre Etaix, very funny story of a guy who try to find a woman... All the humour is in the pictures, not in the dialogs (like Chaplin or Keaton ou Tati) very funny !! 8,5/10
    "Seminole" (1953) Underated western of Bud Boetticher with an excellent Rock Hudson but with Anthonny Quinn adn Lee Marvin Too. A great story of an indian chef who will believe what the white soldiers told him and die... Filmed in the Everglades swamps where the action took really place and Inpired of true facts a very good B-western, especially the attack of the soldiers by the indians at night... very impressive !! 9/10.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2010 edited
    Black Swan 100/100 - Christ, I've been waiting for this for a year. The movie is my new fav of all time - everything is so amazing, they added so much to the script, the 3rd act is absolutely perfect. Portman is fantastic and she will win Oscar for it and I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for Mila Kunis. This movie is a mix of Carrie, Repulsion and Mulholland Drive it couldn't possibly go wrong. I'm actually shaking.
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2010
    I will have to wait until the 3rd of February to see it :-(
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    "Gamera tai daiakuju Giron" (1969) 6/10, not the best of the 8 gameras but not the worst...
    "The Man who changed his mind" (1936) an axcellent British B movie with Boris Karloff as a mad doctor (as often!!) A very good plot wich offer lot of possibilities, a good dose of humour. Directed by Robert Stevenson in his english period before he went to Disney and directed "Mary Poppins" and, unfortunatly, many craps. very good B movie. 8,5/10
    "Lafayette Escadrille" (1958) the last movie of William Wellman it's a bit dated but fun. The first appearance of Clint Eastwood as a credited actor. 7/10
    "World Without End" (1956) Edward Bernds's movie is one of the first Sci-Fi movie in scope, it is very amusing with a lot, of action, love... and excellent settings. Two years later Bernds will direct the cult movie Queen of Outer Space with Zsa Zsa Gabor .. Not Bad 7,5/10
    "La rivière des Trois Jonques" (1956) a french exotic-aventure movie which takes place in Indochina... Nice colors and a pretty Dominique Wilms !! and a terrifying Howard Vernon, very entertaining movie of lost times and places... 8/10
    "Double Agent 73" (in France "Supernichons contre Mafia" !!) (1974) Rhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unbelievable !! Incredible !! The plot is terrific : the busty Chesty Morgan got an photographic camera introduced in the right tit and a time-bomb in the left... she must break up a gang of the mafia before it's too late... Completly pathetic... only for geeks of Z movies 2/10 (or a must to see 10/10 for fans !!!)
  10.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    Hé Hé... I watched som years ago a "Black Swan" too a very nice 1942's movie full of pirates and adventures with Tyron Powers, Maureen O'Hara and Anthony Quinn... I should watch it once more... ;) It was directed by the great Henry King...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    theoffice - online streaming. There was no way I was going to wait for the cinema premiere a month from now when it got to the point when I was listening to the soundtrack on repeat and reading the script every few weeks :) But I'm definetly going to the cinema month from now at least once and buing blu ray - it's a stunningly beautiful movie and you have to pay attention to everything, including one scene where you should watch it frame by frame.
  11.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    The Other Guys => over the top at a level that its irritating so 5/10
    Cop Out => much better buddy cop movie than The Other Guys. I thought it was very funny so 7/10
    Room in Rome => beautiful movie 8/10
  12.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    well @theoffice911
    you got a shitty taste we all know that ;)
    lol
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2010 edited
    Intolerable Cruelty
    mouha, my least favorite coen brother's so far...
    6/10

The Others
    Nice suspence despite the total lack of risks taken in this movie and a very very traditional and conventional way to present it, way too much for my taste
    Luckelly the end twist saves the story, pfiew that was closed to fail
    6.5/10
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2010
    "the Americano" (1916) a small exotic adventure movie of John Emerson with Douglas Fairbanks. Good entertainment... 7/10
    "The Asphyx" (1973) a very under rated horror movie with a great script on the theme of immortality... 8/10. The only movie directed by Peter Newbrook who is more known as a camera operator.
    " The window" (1949) Ted Tetzlaff directed thi great film noir with a child witness of a murder... 8,5/10
  13.  permalink
    #
    •  
      CommentAuthortorqu3
    hehehe this year 389 movies so far..without bunch of series..I have a lot of free time at the job..
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    @theoffice... I don't know i've never thought about this... in winter i would say one or two every day. sometimes 3, sometimes 0 when I go to concert or in theatre. When I was in Lyon for Institut Lumière's festival it was 5 movies a day during one week... (the paradise !! and only movies more than 30 years old !! and lot of movies of silent era). In summer much less because I'm working outside in the mountains... and I have more work. I almost never watch tv exept for some movies... For example this evening i think two will be good !!
    But in fact the 3 last I watched are quite short movies (The Americano 59 mins, The Asphyx 99 mins, the window 73 mins...
  14.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Am I the only one who just started humming the Godfather theme?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2010 edited
    The English Patient - 5/10 - Christ, what a snoozefest. 160 minutes of boring love story and mess of supporting characters. I saw it many years ago I figured maybe I missed the reason for which this has 9 Oscars, but apparantly I didn't. This actually makes "Shakespeare in love" fascinating in comparision. The only good things about this movie are cinematography and acting. Scott Thomas and Fiennes had nice chemistry, which made rather sily love story look plausible.
  15.  permalink
    #