Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2011
    The King's Speech, 92/100 - what a wonderful film. Stunning cinematography, music and editing and superb acting - Georffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter in a very unusal for her, role of delicate and supportive wife and terrific Colin Firth who is heartbreaking, funny and as adorably awkward as in "Bridget Jones's diary". Our dear man in a reindeer sweater is taking his Oscar this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthortorqu3
    @Chrisy and next on your watch list is Killer Condom 1996? xD
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    "le Désirable et le sublime" (1970) Have you seen a movie that mixes citations of Hegel, Shakespeare, Fichte, Marx, Trotsky... with strong erotism and sadomasochism, psychedelic rock'n'roll with sexual orgies, and with french politic ? No, you don't. So you can watch this unique movie. Definitively the cinema of José Bénazéraf is a strange cinema. A couple lives alone in a castle on an isolated island. One day a friend of us comes to visit, on television there are french politician who spech and speech for the 1969 election for the présidence (for frenchs you can recognize, Pompidou, Mendès-France, Deferre... and others). Between discussions about philosophy, cinema, music... the sexual passions will arise... A very strang movie, very aesthetical, speaky but the dialogs are at high level about the rejection of society, the evolution of thoughts, art... and desire. Not for all public, but if you like weird cinema Bénazéraf is a directror for you. 8/10.
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    @Joob

New Kids Turbo (2010)------------------------------------------------------------------------4/10

Sure, the movie was crap, but with what intention did you went to see the movie?
    If you saw the mini-sketches you would have quite a good idea from what the movie would look like.
    And from that perspective I gave it a 6/10
    • CommentAuthorJoob
    @rulo

With the intention to see what all the fuzz was about. I mean, it did have the most viewers and sold tickets ever in the Netherlands ;). But I'm not that fond of this kind of humor, I had a few good laughs so I think the 4 is still a great rating from me.
    • CommentAuthorHeadlock
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2011 edited
    Tonight I saw Let Me In, the American remake of the Swedish Let the Right One In. I have to say I kinda liked it. I wasn't expecting too much because I thought the Swedish version was brilliant. 7/1

@Sati: You make me even more curious than I already am about the Kings Speech. I never thought highly of Colin Firth, but when I saw Dorian Gray the other day, I really like him in it, even though he doesn't play a very sympathetic part. But yes, the cast of that particular movie excites me! Can't wait. (Have to wait till February 17th)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    I have to admit I have a soft spot for British movies and British actors are just amazing. Each year British movie comes along that always stays in my top 10 of the year and this one was a marvelous example of that.

Blue Valentine, 60/100 - meh, another hugely overrated movie this year. Michelle Williams's character was such an ungrateful, stupid girl I couldn't care less about her. Wiliams was fine in the role, Gosling on the other hand was superb. There are some good scenes in the movie, but overall it's a waste of time.
  1.  permalink
    Some films I watched the last weeks:
    The Social Network - Entretaining and nice, but a bit overrated imo 7.8/10
    Black Swan - Such an impressive performance by Natalie Portman, very well-deserved Golden Globe win. The story develops in a great rythm and surprised me in many ways, I loved it! 9/10
    The Hours - It was awesome how the three plans of the narrative converged and Nicole Kidman is brilliant on it 8.5/10
    The Phantom of the Opera - Sweet but not that awesome 7/10
    Interview with the Vampire - The first 40 minutes were nice, but suddenly it slowed down and I coudn't wait for it to finish... 6/10
    Fight Club in blu-ray - As if I needed something else to adore this film more than I already do... Amazing experience nevertheless 11/10

@torqu3
    Oh, thanks for reminding me that I also watched The Killer Condom... please add a big *facepalm* here. The film sucked big time (not that I was expecting something different), but it was less trashy than I thought it would be and made me laugh SO hard many times lol 4/10
  2.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    Did you see Roy Andersson's Songs From the Second Floor and/or You the Living? 6/10 for you as well?
  3.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    Den brysomme mannen is an awesome movie, deserves way more than 6/10 in my view
    And Roy Andersson is a genius, I love his movies so much, difficult to compare it with Den brysomme mannen though, Roy Andersson's movies are way more absurd and out of this world ^^
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    What they share, I would say, is something aesthetic and ironic on the surface, but a deep tragic humanity underneath. But yes, they obviously have differences as well. :-) All 10/10 from me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    I have to agree with Chrisy on this. Den brysomme mannen is a brilliant movie and having watched Du levande I will definitely watch more Roy Andersson movies.

However, I recently watched two more movies from the Barbara Stanwyck retrospective in cinema.

Sorry, Wrong Number (1948): A film noir with excellent cast (Burt Lancaster as the leading man and Barbara Stanwyck got an Oscar nomination for this movie). It's about an invalid woman who overhears a murder plot on the phone. As the movie goes on she realizes it's her own murder they were planning. The story has some cliches but the storytelling together with a brilliant cinematography is so good that it really is a thriller which deserves this name. 8/10

The Lady Eve (1941): Again a great Barbara Stanwyck together with a very funny Henry Fonda in a romantic screwball comedy which got an Oscar nomination for best writing. Barbara Stanwyck plays a con-artist falling in love with her victim. However, when he finds out about her being a con-artist they leave on bad terms. Stanwyck disguises herself as an English lady to get back to him and torment him. A hilarious comedy in the style of Bringing Up Baby (1938). It's a long time since I laughed that much in cinema. 9/10
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2011
    The screwball comedy wieved by John Cassavetes and you have "Minnie and Moskowitz" (1971) A pure masterpiece with twom improbable characters (Gena Rowlands & Seymour Cassel both incredible) who have an improbable love story, with all the Hollywood clichés rewieved by Cassavetes... Lovers of Hollywood movies the couple will make his own Hollywood at the end... Very good... 9/10
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    Enter the Void - OMG, what a disappointment. After reading so many things about it I expected more. This one wasn't neither scandalous nor disturbing, its first 60 minutes were pretty interesting, but then it started falling apart. Its artistic part is without any doubt remarkable and definitely the past part, including the first person perspective, which I found great (grade 9). I could even leave some inconsistencies and mistakes out, but I can't forget the bad acting, lead by horrible Paz de la Huerta. Hers is one of the worst performances I've ever seen in a movie. As the movie unfolds, its plot becomes more boring and it completely disappoints me in its last 20 minutes. I can't (and I won't) give this one more than a 5,5, especially because I expected a lot, but wasn't given a half of that.
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    @Headlock: If you don't want to wait until the 17 February, you can see The King's Speech on the 5th at the film festival in Rotterdam.
    • CommentAuthorHeadlock
    @Antituur: Thanks! But I've got this card from the cinema, which allows to go "free" as many times as I like to for a certain amount of money per month. So I think I'll wait for 12 more days, but thanks anyway ;)

@lovelyT: I totally disagree with you on this. I thought the movie was brilliant, one of the best I've seen last year. I've never felt so weird (in a good way) after seeing a movie than this. I walked outside and it felt like I saw everything in an entire different perspective. The only negative thing I can come up with about the movie, is that some scenes are way too long, Noé could've cut minutes out. But then again, that might just be the contributing factor for the overall feeling of the movie.

But like a wise man once said: "Trip healthy, watch Enter the Void".
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    @Headlock: The perspective is the thing that I liked the most here. From this aspect I would give it a 9. I also put it in the brackets, but the other part that I mentioned was just too bad, that's way I can't call this one a good movie overall, hence it's artistic part which I found very interesting and definitely the best part of the movie.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2011 edited
    Black Swan
    Mixed feelings.... Great performance from Natalie Portman and no doubt that the cinematography is beautiful. But the story was not that good. I saw the all thing coming from the very beginning, it didn't surprise me and it didn't blow me away. And the balet scenes.... too many of them, I think they dance a third of the movie if not more, too much for me
    7.5/10
    • CommentAuthorMallemout
    Clash of the Titans for me. In short, it's good to make some pretty snapshots for what the movie. :P
  4.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    ha ha no thank you, not really my thing lol
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2011 edited
    Amer (2009)
    A visual and sensorial masterpiece and an amazing experience. Wonderful homage to the Giallo genre, no doubt. Even if it is lacking a bit more plot, but really who cares, that's not what its about :)
    8.5/10
  5.  permalink
    After.Life - Nice concept, but the ending was soooo disappointing and some things were left with no explanation, can't tell how pissed off I get when this happens 6.5/10
    How to Train you Dragon - Some cliches related to father-and-son relashionship as seen in many films made for kids, but overall entretaining and funny in many moments 7.5/10
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2011
    Spider Baby or The Maddest Story Ever Told (1968)
    Nice little crazy one :)
    7.5/10
  6.  permalink
    #
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2011
    Red, 3/10 - well it sucked and Helen Mirren and Malkovich were the only two good things about it.
    Dogma, 8/10 - Hilarious and very clever comedy, but not as funny as Clerks :)
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2011
    @Chrisy I watched spider baby sooooo long ago... You gave me the will to watch it again I have a good souvenir of it, one of the last appearances of Lon Chaney jr on screen... Let's go find it !!
    Many movies fo the end of the week... I'm in a small B movies Festival now... funny
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2011
    Deliria (StageFright: Aquarius) (1987)
    Typical Giallo movie, typical 80's music and typically awesome. OK it isn't an Argento or other Bava and Fulci but I still had lots of fun watching it :) I think I need to re-watch all the Giallo I watched in my teenagerhood now ^^
    7.5/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    Galaxy Quest, 6/10 - completely insane and often borderline retarded movie but it has many funny parts.
  7.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    Carriers - bad movie. The plot sounded interesting and the trailer was promising, but the execution, actors, dialogues, connections between the present and the past were very unconvincing and disappointing. 4/10
    • CommentAuthorHeadlock
    In the last few days I've seen:

- TRON: Legacy
    Visually great, as was to be expected. A soundtrack that fits the movie like a glove and in my opinion a great development of the story.
    6,5/10

- Taxi Driver
    I wasn't expecting very much out of this, but I thought it was great. It slowely built to an inevitable climax, which was greatly executed! Wow, what an ending!
    8/10

- Morning Glory
    Nice little comedy with great actors, nothing special really, but here and there incredibly funny.
    6/10

- The Way Back
    Intriguing and impressive movie, about a handful of prisoners of the former Soviet Union who attempt an escape and walk all the way from their prison in Siberia to Tibet. Based on a true story. Well executed, just the right amount of drama, I like it when they don't overdo that. I was overall very impressed with this movie. A recommendation to everybody. (Fun fact: Colin Farrell plays a Russian wild man who barely speaks English)
    9/10

- The Dark Crystal
    I think I would've like this film more if I had seen it as a child. The same effect as Neverending Story has for me. But still I can see why people like/liked this movie so much.
    5/10
  8.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorHeadlock
    - The Next Three Days
    Mediocre. It isn't anything we haven't seen before, well executed, but that's it.
    5/10
  9.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2011
    The Crazies (2009) - ok movie, with an interesting story, but nothing special all in all. 6/10
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2011 edited
    Movies of the week. I was in Grenoble’s Les Maudits Films festival a nice little festival of B movies but not only. I had already watched all the movies but on wide screen it’s always good to re-watch movies.

"Les yeux sans visage" (1960) Well known french horror movie, excellent 9/10

"Quatermass and the Pit" (1967) One of the best movie of the Hammer very well directed by Roy Ward Baker with a very intelligent plot and very hard to watch on screen. 9/10

"Vampire Circus" (1972) One of the last movies of the Hammer directed by Robert Young. An impressive vampire movie with nice plot and a good dose of gore and erotism. Worth of watching and not easy to watch on wide screen. 8/10

"Forbidden planet" (1958) the cult camp classic always so funny 9/10

"La Mano de un hombre muerto" (1962) An early film of Jesus Franco with Howard Vernon when Franco made good movies with a nice b&w photography and an interessant plot 8/10

"I Epithesi tou gigantiaiou mousaka" (Attack of the Giant Moussaka) (1999) the well known greek parody of 50’s B movies, funny. 7/10

"Death Race 2000" (1975) The most celebrated movie of Paul Bartel, with David Carradine and Sylvester Stallone very funny and trash. 8/10

"Lust in the Dust" (1985) another Bartel movie with Divine Henry Silva, Tab Hubter, less known but hilarious parody of italian westerns… very good 8,5/10.

Other stuff I’ve watched...

"La vie amoureuse de l'homme invisible" (1971) Pathetic production of the mythic french company Eurociné (celebrated for it's budget less movies) with a lost Howard Vernon who can't save this ridiculous movie 2/10 (for Z fans 7/10 not more).

"L'uomo meccanico" (1921) the first movie with robots as main characters, André Deed (a disciple of Méliès) directed this nice movie only partially watchable (almost 50% are lost) pretty impressive for that time.7,5/10
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    @Headlock: I agree with your 5 for The Next Three Days. The French original, Pour Elle (2008), is considerably better by the way.
  10.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorHeadlock
    @Antituur, thanks for the tip!
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    Today's movie

"Hôtel du Nord" (1938) of Marcel Carné with the mythic couple Arletty/Louis Jouvet... a nice circular script a great acting (Anabella is very moving too) All the movie has been made in studio but looks so natural, impresssive setting!! A pure masterpiece 10/10.

"Waterloo Bridge" (1931) Of James Whale is made just before "Frankenstein" (the same year) and remind us that Whale is simply a good director and his horrors movies should not let us forget he can direct very nice melodramas like this one. A very nice an sad moving story of a naive soldier who fall in love with a prostitute. Simple story but very delightfull script,fine dialogs, good acting especialy Mae Clarke who proves here that she deserves more attention than for exemple in "Frankenstein" or in "Public Enemy"... Anice movie to discover 8,5/10

"El Baron del Terror" (1962) Chano Urueta directed this mexican Horror B movie... It is a good member of Imdb's bottom 100 but I think it's a bit too severe because if it's very cheap it is although entertining... Of course the plot is simple : a sorcerer is burned by the Inquisitors and then he promises a curse in 300 years... He comes back in a asteroid (yes!!) being now able to transform in a monster who sucks the brain out of the skull of his victim with his long tongue (Yes!! Yess!!)... Very impressive ;) Abel Salazar the producer has the main role too and his very terrifying !! Other actors are fellows of ABSA productions. 5/10 (for Z fans a must to see 10/10)
  11.  permalink
    #
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011
    The Crucible - Christ, what a boring movie. Winona Ryder was great, though - 5/10
    An Awfully Big Adventure - great acting, very dark story and overall extremelly bizarre movie, but I liked the atmosphere - 65/100
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011 edited
    Karamazovi [The Karamazovs] (2008) 5/10
    Czech movie about a group of actors who are rehearsing for a play based on Dostoevsky's book The Brothers Karamazov, to be performed in a derelict steel factory in Poland. And guess what, that's basically what the film shows: the rehearsal of a play - although at some points reality mixes with art. In the sub-genre of theatre rehearsal films probably top notch.

The Beautiful Country (2004) 5/10
    The story of a 20 year old social outcast, the son of a Vietnamese woman and an American soldier, on his quest to find his father in Texas. It's not really a bad film, but the main character is so shy and we learn so little about him, that it's hard to feel anything for him on his journey that has some predictable refugee and illegal immigrant stages.

The Next Three Days (2010) 5/10
    American remake of the French film Pour Elle (see below). It's very much the same story, but with added explanations for everything implicit, extra violin music to indicate dramatic events and 30 extra minutes of irrelevant chases. On top of that a tiny romantic intermezzo just before the final act.

Pour Elle (2008) 7/10
    Nothing special, but a fine thriller about a school teacher planning the escape of his wife from prison, who is sentenced to 20 years for a murder she didn't commit.

Werckmeister harmóniák [Werckmeister Harmonies] (2000) 7/10
    Mesmerising long takes in stylish black and white of bizarre events in a desolate Hungarian town with no name. It's the genius edition of a cliché art house movie (slow & deep and/or incomprehensible). Annoying is the dubbed main character, the German actor Lars Rudolph who apparently doesn't speak Hungarian.
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    @Antituur. There are often problems of dubbing in Bela Tarr Movies... In the Excellent "A Londoni férfi" (2007) the original spoken languages of the movie are French and English as in the original story of Simenon, but most of the actors are hungarians (they don't speak french) and are dubbed, by themselves yes, but dubbed and then a great part of the strength of the diallogs is lost. That the only negative point of this excellent movie.
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    It was my first Béla Tarr movie, so I hadn't encountered the problem before. I can imagine it is his way of dealing with the limitations he has, but yes, it is distracting...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    The Tourist - I thought this will suck but I actually had pretty good time. THe movie was enjoyable and funny, mostly thanks to Depp whose Golden Globe nomiation was in that case more deserved than for Alice, I don't get the arguments he looked bored and he was bad, he was really good. Angelina was great in playin mysterious woman and it's too bad she is so skinny, at one point I thought her hips bones will pierce through her dress. But my God, she is so beautiful - in the scene where she and Frank are having dinner at the hotel I almost didn't feel worthy of looking at her. The music is nice, the cinematography is very pleasing to the eye and whilst the script is not very strong and those two particuliar actors are never too conviencing in having chemistry the film is definetly fun. 74/100.
  12.  permalink
    #