Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2011 edited
    Dream Home
    Some really cool and impressive scenes. But I didn't get caught in the story, I did not feel for her and I think the reasoning behind her actions were out of proportions (or not explained intensively enough) so I didnt believe in it. But the movie has some qualities and is lots of fun to watch, the crime scenes are awesome
    6.8/10

Air Doll
    Nice little movie, sort of a fairytale for adult about loneliness.Touching movie and despite the lightness of the story and joyful moments, it is a dark, sad and pessimist movie. I liked :)
    It could however have been a little bit shorter
    7.5/10

J'ai tué ma mère
    Damn, 19 years old when he made this movie... I mean... damn
    Xavier Dolan is a very talended director (and actor), so much maturity, so much beauty, so much feelings, it is wonderful. I'm impressed :)
    Once again: superb acting, perfect music, visually and quality of filming that many director would envy, fantastic dialogues even if I must say this is the second time in my life that I have to put french subtitles on to understand a french canadian film lol and I have watched quite a few (the first time I had to put them on was recently with his second movie Les amours imaginaires ha ha) it was just not possible without or I would have missed all the subtilities
    Little story but powerful movie. A new big director is born! wait and see :)
    8.5/10

• CommentAuthorAntituur
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2011
    Dark City (1998) 7/10
    Don't ask me how I did it, but I managed to have never heard of this movie, before stumbling over it by accident just now. Nice and stylish dystopian and anti-urban science fiction thriller. A lesson in art direction. (Too bad the 'mind power' idea is so silly, as an idea and in its visualization.)

Heima (2007) 7/10
    Wonderful landscapes and wonderful music merging into a feel good rockumentary about a series of free concerts that Sigur Rós gave on returning home in Iceland after a world tour.

Source Code (2011) 7/10
    Duncan Jones's second feature after Moon is a decent science fiction thriller, but certainly not as good as his debut film. The strong point of Moon was the simplicity of its plot, resulting in a very focused film. Jones tries to be simple here again (by repeating the same story a number of times), but the 'science' that is the trigger of the story is just not very convincing and full of paradoxes. Nevertheless, it's fun to watch.

Kim Bok-nam salinsageonui jeonmal [Bedevilled] (2010) 8/10
    I agree with Chrisy, it's a pretty good film, combining drama and horror in a mature way. Quite a ride. And good to know they've got hillbillies in Korea too.
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2011
    "The Mask of Diijon" (Lew Landers, USA 1946)
    A small PRC B movie by a king of the genre (almost 170 movies directed, all B(Z) ones...). Diijon is one of the best he made thanks to the presence of Eric von Stroheim who plays a med magician (Diijon) who hypnotizes people and then take control of thier mind... when he discovers that his wife have a lover he want her to kill the lover... For a PRC this one is not so bad, with some good sequences and a nice photography. 6/10

"Sora no daikaijû Radon" (Aka "Rodan") (Ishirô Honda, Japan 1956)
    One of the best movie of Honda. In a coal mine a sudden flood releases some blood thirsty giant insects... the authorities make an expedition in the ine to destroy them but they release a new threat ! a giand supersonic giant reptile : Rodan !! which finaly attacks Tokyo !! But what a surprise when they discover there are two Rodans !! A gem of jamanese Sci-Fi of the golden age. 8/10

"The Flying Serpent" (Sam Newfield, USA 1946)
    Another budget-less PRC production (pleonasm) which has exactly the same plot as "The devil Bat" except that here Bela Lugosi is replaced by George Zucco and the giant bat by Quetzalcoatl (the Killer Bird God of Aztecs) Zucco as an archeologist find the secret treasure of the Aztecs and Quetzalcoatl the half-reptile half-bird keeper... he will use him to kill everyone approach the secret place... Very cheap and poor movie but funny and sometime surrealistic !! 5/10 (for B dans 8/10)

"Liliom" (Frank Borzage, USA 1930)
    An overlooked masterpiece of Borzage (he made so many masterpieces!!) which was a complete failure at it's time. It's just a piece of art full of poetry. The settings, the light, the directing... all is wonderfull in the movie. the couple Charles Farrell and Rose Hobard are excellent. 10/10
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2011
    "Ercole contro Molock" (aka "The conquest of Mycenes") (Giorgio Ferroni, Italy/France 1963)
    A cheap peplum by a master of the genre which deals with an obscure story of the queen of Mycenes whose son is a monster adulated as a god and who lives hidden in cave. The people offers him young and beautiful virgins in sacrifice because he can't bare their beauty. Only Medea the sister of Moloch is horrified. Glauco (aha Hercules) is the son of the king of a rebel city... he enter Mycenes with prisoners and trys to league the opponents to the cruel queen and Moloch... He fall in love with Medea find some rebel... league all the other cities against Mycenes... A true Hero as you can only see in such movie. Well It'd not so bad and done well, entertaining even if very simple. But tis is the main caracteristic of this genre of movie. So nice colors, Gordon Scott full in muscle is not so bad, the girls are pretty and the Molock ugly... What do we need more ?? 6,5/10.
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2011
    Life before her eyes - pretty interesting, with an excellent ending. A slow paced movie, but never boring. Evan Rachel Wood is definitely one of the brightest young stars and her performances outweigh many other by her more (publicly) acclaimed colleagues. 7/10
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2011
    "Crimes at the Dark House" (George King, UK 1940)
    Another small british horror movie with the great Tod Slaughter the well named... In this one he takes the place of a man who made his life in Australia and wants to come back for an heritage... But o keep his secret he'll have to kill and kill again... A small B with a great acting of Slaughter with his sadistic laugh every time he commits murder... entertaining. 6,5/10.

"Yellow Sky" (William A. Wellman, USA 1948)
    Wonderful western of a gang of thieves (with Gregory Peck and Richard Widmark excellent) who comes in a small abandoned town just inhabited by an man and his beautiful daughter (Anne Baxter).Wonderful directing absolutely huge b&w photography.... A very good western 8,5/10.
  1.  permalink
    After I saw the Kubrick exposition in Paris I decided to watch all his movies again. He was a true genius !

+ Fear and Desire // 1953 --> 3/10

+ Killer's Kiss // 1955 --> 7/10
    + The Killing // 1956 --> 7/10
    + Lolita // 1962 --> 7/10
    + Eyes Wide Shut // 1999 --> 7/10

+ Spartacus // 1960 --> 8/10
    + Dr. Strangelove // 1964 --> 8/10

+ Full Metal Jacket // 1987 --> 9/10
    + Barry Lyndon // 1975 --> 9/10

+ Paths of Glory // 1957 --> 10/10
    + 2001: A Space Odyssey // 1968 --> 10/10
    + A Clockwork Orange // 1971 --> 10/10
    + The Shining // 1980 --> 10/10
    • CommentAuthorkalrez
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2011 edited
    "Super 8"

The story of what happens when half a dozen middle-school kids set out to make a student film in 1979 Ohio and end up enmeshed in something much bigger and scarier, "Super 8" does not lack for potent elements. Its two lead teens have a fine on-screen chemistry, and all the film's big action sequences are faultlessly executed.

But "Super 8's" elements do not jell into a satisfying whole. Though the directors have been personally close for decades — they first connected when Spielberg hired the then-15-year-old Abrams to restore his own 8mm films — their styles do not necessarily mesh. It's a dissonance that's prefigured when the logos of their production companies — Abrams' cranky Bad Robot and Spielberg's lyrical Amblin — spiritually clash on-screen.

Old-fashioned and genteelly entertaining, even wholesome, "Super 8" plays more like a family film than a kinetic work by Abrams, best known on the big screen for such high energy items as "Mission: Impossible III" and the latest "Star Trek." A longtime admirer of Spielberg, Abrams has made something more in that director's style than his own, an action that has diminished his own effectiveness without replicating what makes the best of Spielberg's films so successful.

You only have to compare "Super 8" (unfairly perhaps, but inevitably) to the Spielberg film it most resembles, the impeccably entertaining "E.T.," to see the ways the earlier movie felt fresh and inventive while the new one has the aura of stuff we've already seen.

Very much like Rob Reiner's "Stand by Me," "Super 8" lives and dies by having those six 14-year-old kids as a group protagonist. Like teenagers everywhere, they provide both frustration and pleasure.

The frustration, unfortunately, comes first, as we meet the boys as an undifferentiated group, gathered together at a wake for the mother of one of their number, Joe Lamb (Joel Courtney), who has died in a steel mill accident in the blue collar town of Lillian, Ohio.

The puerile way these boys interact with each other is standard issue teen behavior, more calculated than involving. Only the fact that they're the core of a gang of kids we eventually see gathering at midnight to shoot a Super 8 short at the local train station gives them any interest at all.

That film's director, Joe's best friend, Charles (an effective Riley Griffiths), intends his zombie thriller for the rarefied precincts of the Cleveland International Super 8 Film Festival. To up the film's emotional quotient, Charles asks attractive blond classmate Alice (Elle Fanning) to be in the movie, not realizing that she is the girl of young Joe's dreams.

If the film has an unexpected strength, it is the performances of both Fanning and Courtney as Alice and Joe, kids who manage to be sweet and natural both together and apart. While Fanning is a known quantity after films such as Sofia Coppola's "Somewhere," Courtney does exceptional work for someone who has never acted professionally before.

== piracy link removed ==
    • CommentAuthortoffetomas
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2011
    wow, is this the first SPAM on the wtm forum??
  2.  permalink
    I think it is :)
    One in like 3 years, we're good !
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2011 edited
    Confessions (Kokuhaku) - 2010
    There was already no doubts that Tetsuya Nakashima, the director of Memories of Matsuko and Kamikaze Girls, was talented but here he took his work to a all new level. This movie is simply fantastic! Long gone is the cuteness of his previous films. Here he opted for a much darker psychological theme: dark, cold hearted and cynical with plenty to think about. The movie actually should require at least 2 viewing. Beautiful and original, one of the kind filming style, a gripping story full of twists and emotions and a beautiful music that will guide you slowly, on your toes to one of the best movie ending in years! And here also the slow motions were necessary and I loved them :) A little masterpiece!
    9/10
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2011 edited
    Morgiana (1973)
    Really nice gothic hallucinatory movie from Juraj Herz. Awesome atmosphere and great suspense with a totally gripping music. The filming through the eyes of the cat create a unic vibe. The same actress playes the 2 different main characters, really nicely done. I already loved "The Cremator" from the same director but I think I like this one even more
    Awesome!!
    8.5/10

Taxi to the Dark Side (2007)
    Good documentary about the torture practices of the US in in Afghanistan, Iraq and Guantanamo Bay. Worse than I thought, terrible really. A must see!
    8/10

Starsuckers (2009)
    Documentary that explores human being's desire to be famous and how that effects society. Ok but not really memorable...
    6.5/10

•  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2011
    Water for Elephants, 96/100 - magical movie with beautiful performances and cinemtaography
    Sexy Beast, 79/100 - lots of tension and humour and awesome work from Ben Kingsley
    Super 8, 60/100 - apart from Elle Fanning nothing special at all
    X men first class, 69/100 - the movie is all right but it never raises to the level of brilliance of performances by James McAvoy and especially Michael Fassbender. Too bad the movie focuses on minor boring characters instead of just sticking with those two. Two other minuses are horrible actresses Rose Byrne and January Jones who can ruin everything in any movie they are.
  3.  permalink
    Fucking Åmål - Sweet and lovely, I liked it a lot. 9/10
    • CommentAuthorstepanas
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2011
    Night on Earth (1991) dir Jim Jarmusch,
    4/5
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2011
    "Neokonchennaya pyesa dlya mekhanicheskogo pianino " (aka "Unfinished Piece for the Player Piano") (Nikita Mikhalkov, USSR 1978)
    Wonderful adaptation of Tchekhov the disintegration of a world and a deep questioning about alienation face to this decaying society and the impossibility to escape... The futility of the relation between people is also reminiscent. Great directing of actors, very nice colors... Huge movie !! 9/10
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2011
    "The Thin Man" (W.S. Van Dyke, USA 1934)
    The first adventure of the most famous couple of detectives in cinema: Nick & Nora Charles are an urbane couple, Nick a retired detective and only think to have his daily dose of party and cocktails... Nora will push him to go back to job when a detective's taking the wrong direction in a murder case... Great adaptation of the eponymous novel of the great Dashiell Hammet, this movie is very entertaining, the couple William Powell, Mirna Loy, will be one of the most loved ones of the 30-40's... 8/10
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    "Peter Pan" (Herbert Brenon, USA 1924)
    A pure piece of magic ! This first adaptation of the famous play of J.M. Barrie is just wondefull. The screenplay id very faithfull to the play and many of the intertitles are directly taken from Barrie's dialogues. The special effects are just huge for that tim and very cleverly used. The photography is of course excellent because James Wong Howe did it ! The most impressive is the performance of Betty Bronson as Peter Pan ! She is realy excellent as the little boy who don't want to grow up! A pure jewel, the other ones (even Disney one) look very poor after this... 10/10
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2011 edited
    "The Men of Sherwood Forest " (Val Guest, UK 1954)
    First movie incolor for the mythic Hammer. Even if this small movie doesn't reach the level of Curtiz's masterpiece it's a good entertaining movie lot of action and Don Taylor is not Erooll Flynn but the whole is pretty watchable. 7/10

"Warlock Moon" (Bill Herbert, USA 1975)
    Ultra poor horror and completly obscure trash from the 70's, a strange tale of an abandoned house haunted by a sect of cannibals... It could have been a good horror movie but the budget (25,000$!!) is really too small and the movie greatly suffer of it. 5/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    @RDPL55: I love the Thin Man movies. One of the best screen couples ever.
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    "Dick Tracy Meets Gruesome" (John Rawlins, USA 1947)
    Another adventure of the great detective always played by Ralph Byrd but the bad guy here is played by the great Boris Karloff as a mad thief who kill all the person who try to stop him in commiting robbery using the formula of a strange paralizing nerve gas... Entertaining small B as usual 7/10.
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    @fungus ! Yes great screen couple and surprisingly not at all outside screen...
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2011 edited
    "The Wolf Man" (George Waggner, USA 1941)
    Re-watched this true classic with lot of pleasure... Excellent movie with a good Lon Chaney Jr. very nice directing on a screenplay by a master of the genre Curt Siodmak... Impressive photography and settings. A true classic 9/10.

"Le sette folgori di Assur" (aka "War gods of Babylon") (Silvio Amadio, Italy 1962)
    A little known peplum which tells the story of the two brothers-kings of Babylon King Sardanapolo (the older) and Prince Sammash (the younger) both in love with the beautifull Mirra. At the same time the ambitious General Arbace have some other plans... An entertaining movie with some means and some good sequences like the destruction of Babylon by flooding special effects very impressive for that time... 7/10.

"The Love Box" (Tudor Gates, Wilbur Stark, UK 1976)
    A cheap and a bit boring brittish sexy-comedy about the members of a newspaper of erotic classified advertising who imagine what could happen through the adds... very cheap, dated and not very well made and with very sooft erotism... Witness of a lost cinema of a lost time... 4/10
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2011 edited
    "The Brute Man" (Jean Yarbrough, USA 1946)
    A small B movie of a man taking revenge after being disfigurated by a wrong experiment... Directing is not bad by a king of the B's, the screenplay is classical and the cast including the famous Rondo Hatton as "the creeper" is not bad. A good small B. 6,5/10
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2011 edited
    Incendies (2010)
    Great! very powerful drama. The bus scene in particular made me shake and made me cry... :( so powerful! Beautiful and gripping from beginning to end
    But, 2 flaws in my opinion which will not make me give more than a 8/10:

1. The Radiohead sound track. Dont give me wrong, I loooove Radiohead, I'm a fan for years. Many of us know how powerful their music is but it didn't go with the movie at all. It is a bit like Denis Villeneuve needed this to create the intensity, the movie did not need this. I mean put in context, with some arabic music or something like this would have done trick as much, to put us in the atmosphere of the libanese story. I mean you could think "You And Whose Army" theme works good in a movie about the miseries of war but no, it didn't do the movie good in my opinion. Also not "Like Spinning Plates". And, but that's just me, when there is Radiohead in a movie I stop watching and I close my eyes lol :)
    then again, Radiohead was also in "Confessions" and I loved it....

2. The huuuge coincidence the all story is based on, I mean, really? very unlickely.... SPOILER: i mean it would already be a coincidence that he went in exil in the same country as she did, but to the same swimming pool, the same day? nah it turned me off a little. But then again, the all movie is based on this so....

I guess I'm just been picky because what they say is true, this is a must see, beautiful movie but maybe not such a masterpiece as some would say ;)

8/10

• CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2011 edited
    Potiche (2010)

I love Francois Ozon. Although, I'm clearly a nostalgic of his first movies: "Sitcom" and "Les amants criminels", I've always been desapointed that he didn't continue in this direction with some sharp and dark themes, but I still really enjoyed most of his movies: always fresh and entertaining. The only movie I didn't like was "Angel", the biggest mistake of his career and an awful and "painful to watch" movie
    Well Potiche is not that far from that cause I didn't like it. It is dull, not funny, the acting is average and there is nothing special about it. The singing of Catherine Deneuve at the end was the finishing blow, can't be more dull than that! I can't help to imagine what a Étienne Chatiliez would have done with a theme like this, what a missed opportunity!! It looked like a very bad TV production and having Catherine Deneuve and Gérard Depardieu doesn't make a good movie!

5/10 just for the smile of Catherine Deneuve

•  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011
    @chrisy: I couldn't agree more with you. I was so disappointed when watching that movie.
    • CommentAuthormarinaraujo
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2011 edited
    I watched Potiche today and I also agree with both of you. It was quite interesting at the beginning and I thought it'd be such a promising film but it got worse as minutes passed by, and that ending was ridiculous. I'd give it a 6/10, one extra point because despite of many really forced jokes, it made me laugh a few times.

Some other films from the last weeks:
    The Tenant - Good stuff, my least favourite from the Apartment Trilogy by Polanski, but caught my attention until the very ending and had some nice thrilling scenes. 8/10

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes - Entretaining film, some dancing scenes were very beautiful. ^^ 7/10

Vertigo - Hitchcock never fails to amuse me, I'm ashamed I didn't watch this one before. Great plot twist. 9/10

Fargo - Clever one, I liked it even more when I discovered it wasn't actually based upon real facts haha Coen Brothers' explanation to that false statement at the begining was intersting. :) 8/10

Despicable Me - I heard many good commentaries about it, which made me expect a bit more of the film... it's entretaining and sometimes sorta funny, though. 6,5/10

The Seventh Seal - An interesting tagline and many great dialogues. My first Bergman and I really hope to watch more from him soon. 7,5/10

Cría Cuervos... - Awesome film, incredibly sensitive and intense in so many points. 8/10

Moulin Rouge! - Visually astonishing and I loved Nicole in this one, but I predicted the ending from the very beginning, so it wasn't a surprise anymore... I also think the soundtrack didn't fit very well to the film. 7/10

Tekkon Kinkurîto - Interesting and very beautiful artwork, made me curious about the original manga. 8,5/10

Some Like it Hot - Such a funny film! I must admit I wasn't expecting much from it, it came up to be a great surprise. 8,5/10

Hannah and Her Sisters - Woody Allen in one of his best works, I think I don't need to say anything else. :) 8/10

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus - I liked it more than most people seem to do, and to me the changing of actors in Tony's role was pretty interesting. 8/10

Il Y a Longtemps Que Je T'aime - Beautifully made, fantastic drama about family relationships, guilt and rejection. I loved the way the film developed and some scenes actually made me cry. The best drama I've seen in months. 9/10

The Philadephia Story - Sweet little film, but the ending threw me a bit off it. 7/10

A Hard Day's Night - Well, what can I say, I like The Beatles very much and to feel the atmosphere from the Beatlemania times was really interesting. 8/10
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2011
    Almost no time to watch movies during the season (work all the days...) but some new movies here

"It's a Gift" (Norman Z. McLeod, USA 1934)
    A great comedy of the great (and underated W.C. Fields) Harold Bissonette a grocer tyranized by his family and espacialy his wife makes plans to move to California and grow oranges... caustic and cynical comedy as usual and always with an artificial happy ending. Great 8/10.

"Snezhnaya koroleva" (aka "the snow queen") (Gennadi Kazansky, USSR 1966)
    Another masterpiece of soviet fantastic cinema of the golden age. This one, made for children, is one of the numerous adaptation of Andersen's tales. The most interesting is the screenplay adapted from the play of the great Evgueni Schwartz (written in 1938). A nice variation on love, friendship and kindness. Great settings and nice use of special effects and some anime scenes. Nice 8/10.
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2011
    Devil (2010) 4/10
    Very average accomplishment within the silly genre of supernatural thrillers.

Tomorrow, When the War Began (2010) 4/10
    Exciting Australian coming-of-age film, disguised as a war movie - exciting, that is, if you're 9 or 10 years old. As it's based on a popular series of 'young adults' books, there are some sequels to be expected - which also explains why the film has no ending worthy of the name. Acting, production value, cinematography are all OK, but the story (group of teenagers start guerrilla war against foreign invasion army) is a childish fantasy and the characters are stereotypes.

Baramnan gajok [A Good Lawyer's Wife] (2003) 6/10
    Unsentimental but also somewhat messy and pointless film about a dysfunctional Korean family falling even further apart.

Trolljegeren [The Troll Hunter] (2010) 6/10
    Entertaining Norwegian monster mockumentary, only very predictable.

Qian li zou dan qi [Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles] (2005) 6/10
    A sad, nostalgic, character driven film about an old Japanese man, estranged from his dying son, traveling to rural China to find a specific folk opera singer. It's about the (lack of) communication between fathers and sons, and between the Chinese and the Japanese. As main actor Ken Takakura's face remains virtually expressionless the entire film, one needs to watch carefully not to miss the slightest of eyebrow movements.

The Adjustment Bureau (2011) 6/10
    It's definitely a nonsensical science fictionish thriller, with a sentimental message. But the good thing is that it tries to concentrate its attention on a few phenomena and a very simple love story, which sort of keeps things together.

También la lluvia [Even the Rain] (2011) 7/10
    A film about the making of a film, or so it seems at first. A Spanish film crew is in Bolivia to make a film about Cristopher Columbus exploiting the Indians. In the process, what they do is exploit the locals, who are meanwhile in a fight (based on facts) against the privatisation of their water rights. And so the film gets more political all the time.

Kokuhaku [Confessions] (2010) 7/10
    It's a haunting psychological thriller, and clearly the product of a director who has control over all aspects of his art. Yet, I found the story line and some of the characters' behaviour somewhat far fetched.

Hanyo [The Housemaid] (2010) 7/10
    Stylish Korean thriller centering around the new nanny in a wealthy family in which the master of the house is surrounded by various submissive women: his pregnant wife, his mother-in-law, an elderly servant and his preteen daughter. Tension builds up beautifully, but the climax is not entirely satisfactory.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009) 7/10
    After the brilliant Brazil and Time Bandits, Terry Gilliam, in my opinion, always lacked good stories to keep the lunacy on track. It's the same here: there is so much delight in the wonderful worlds he has on offer, but he failed to organise the basics of his tale.

San qiang pai an jing qi [A Woman, a Gun and a Noodle Shop] (2009) 8/10
    Yimou Zhang's Chinese remake of the Coen brothers' debut film Blood Simple only scores 5,8 on IMDb, but actually I liked it quite a lot. Funny, nicely styled and a feast for the eye. Some overacting as well, alas.
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011 edited
    "Night Key" (Lloyd Corrigan, USA 1937)
    A small B with Boris Karloff as a kind scientist (for one time!!) who's spoiled of his invention by a bad capitalist... A great electric alarm system... But he has also the mean to destroy his own invention and he starts to revenge signing "Night Key"... but he's kidnapped by thieves who have other plans. Happy ending for this good B even the bad capitalist and the sicentist make it up at the end (but could it be different ?? A capitalist is never bad he??) 6,5/10
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2011 edited
    The naked Island (1960)
    Beautiful, sad and hunting piece. The repetition can be a little difficult to get used to at first but it is worth it. I still prefer Onibaba though
    8.2/10

Buried (2010)
    well... I found it quite desapointing, there are some interesting moments but overall it let me down on too many level
    6/10

Come and See (1985)
    Now this! This is the one I needed to see :) It took me a long time to motivate myself to watch it, I have heard about it, I knew it would move me and I wasn't sure to be prepared. Well it goes beyong what I imagined. Masterpiece is a small word to describe the genius of this movie. It is an experience more than just a movie, it will touch you to the core. It is terrifying, nightmarish and visually astonishing. The work on the sounds is simply fantastic and create a horribly tense and powerful atmosphere. And my god the face expressions of that boy, it still stays there in my mind days after watching it. There are not many movies I have seen that gave me a physical reaction, this is one of them, I was literally shaking lol and although I had some weird dreams the night that followed, I would want to watch it again right now!
    The best war (anti-war) movie I have ever seen and a new all time favorite for me

But be prepared.... you will not feel good ;)

10/10 and I wish I could give more :)

• CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2011
    Submarino (2010)
    Another very depressing one lol very dark and pessimist story from the director of Festen, loved it!
    8/10

• CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2011 edited
    "Metempsycho" (aka "Tomb of Torture") (Antonio Boccaci, Italy 1963)
    Totaly unknown small horror movie from euro vault. The screenplay is simple but the directing is good especialy in the first 30 minutes very creepy... the photography is typicaly in the gothic b&w style of Bava, Freda and Marghireti. A small movie to discover. 6,5/10

@Chrisy "Come and See" is simply huge... a 10/10 for me too...
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2011
    "Please Don't Eat My Mother" (Carl Monson, USA 1973)
    A completly weird sexploitation movie directly inspired by Corman's "Little shop of Horror" A liv-by-mother guy bring back home a strang carnivorous plant... first she wants flies, then frogs, dogs... and is growing faster and faster... then despite the tittle she eats the mother... and then bunch of sexy bimbos and a cop... finaly the hero buys a male plant and keeps on feeding them and of course an happy event comes... Budgetless nudie of the 70's, bad acted but truely ridiculous. So for Z fans only 5/10 (for Z fans 9/10)
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2011
    "The Lost Continent" (Michael Carreras & Leslie Norman, UK 1968)
    Certainly the most weird movie of the Hammer. A strange story of an old ship commanded by a strange captain who has lot to hide... with passengers who olso have lot to hide... after a storm they end up in the sargassan sea and are attacked by carnivorous seeweeds and other monsters and then by a people of lost conquistadors who live on an ancien galleon... very inventive, nice photography. A very strange and entertaining movie... 7/10

"The She-Creature" (Edward L. Cahn, USA 1956)
    A mysterious hypnotist bring back to life a female prehistoric monster to purchase his revenge... A small B by a master of the genre. Not so bad indeed and entertaining 6/10
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2011 edited
    "The Lost Missile" (William Berke, USA 1958)
    A missile from outer space comes to earth and flies five miles to the ground to supersonic speed, all is destroyed on it's passage... no classical weapons can destroy it... Two scientists in sentimental troubles will perhaps find a solution but one of them want to try to communicate with the strange object... Will New York be the next city destroyed ?? A very cheap B movie, very poorly directed and acted with a bunch of stockshots of US Air Force... Only for B fans 5/10
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011
    "Rymdinvasion i Lappland" (aka "Terror in the Midnight Sun") (Virgil W. Vogel, USA/Sweden 1959)
    One of the rare contribution from sweden to the 50's horror/sci-fi B movies... Directed by Vogel (The Mole People) it's a pretty good one, filmed in Lappland with a nice photography it's pretty watchable. I watched also the Jerry Warren's version for the US with some additional scenes (with David Carradine) and differentr editing wich is as usual pathetic. The original version 7/10 the Jerry Warren's one 4,5/10.
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2011 edited
    "The Monster Walks" (Frank R. Strayer, USA 1932)
    A very cheap independent B movie of a classical story of some people in an old dark house, threatened by un murderer Ape... But is it really the ape ?? Strayer made some poor B's (like "The Vampire Bat") before becoming more famous in mainstream movies by directing many movies of the "Blondie" famous serie. A cheap B only for fans 5/10.

"La frusta e il corpo" (aka "The Whip and the Flesh", aka "What" ) (Mario Bava, Italy/France 1963)
    A wonderfull movie from the master. A very weird story of ghost and revenge but with a strong sexual commitment : incest, sado-masochism are not very common in cinema in that time. (that explains the completly mutilated US version and the obscure tittle). Wonderfull acting of Christopher Lee and Daliah Lavi... And a huge huge photgraphy in a pure gothic style. An important movie in Bava's work. A great one 8,5/10

"The Cyclops" (Bert I. Gordon, USA 1957)
    Another movie of the master of B's. Very cheap a story of a woman who organize an expedition to find her husband diappeared three years ago. They will crash in a higly radioactiv land and discover huge animals, and a strang giant cyclop... Classical giant monster movie from the 50's... 6,5/10
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2011
    "Blood Thirst" (Newt Arnold, Philippines/USA 1971)
    An exotic tale of vampire. Some pretty girls working in a night-club are found dead, drained of their blood. The local inspector calls his best american friend to help him... A cheap movie but good directed and with a nice b&w photography. The whole looks very like a movie of the 50's. Worth of watching. 6,5/10
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2011
    "Die Nackte und der Satan" (aka "The Head") (Victor Trivas, West Germany 1959)
    A completly weird movie of a mad doctor who decapitate his master to keep his head alive in order to preserve the secret of the serum Z a subtance very usefull to transplant heads on different bodies. Then he decides to put the head of the hunkback nurse he's in loive with on the body of a pretty night-club dancer... A strange movie with a nice photography and setings, and with the precence of Michel Simon, the famous french actor. This movie remains the most weird role he never had. A movie to discover. 7/10
    • CommentAuthorriddick2k3
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2011
    Red Hill............:3/10
    No surprises.
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2011 edited
    "Lady Windermere's Fan" (Ernst Lubitsch, USA 1925)
    A great silent movie of the master of comedy. A very fine mix of gallant sophisticated banter and social criticism in a very good balance. Filming is often huge and very inventive (the gossip scenes and the sequence behind the hedge). The "touch" is already here ! 8,5/10.

"Aventura al centro de la tierra" (aka "Adventure at the Center of the Earth") (Alfredo B. Crevenna, Mexico 1965)
    Another lost gem of the mexican cinema an incredible story of subterranean monsters who attack a tourist group and then the expedition which try to discover them... you have a cyclop and a human bat... very dangerous, blood thirsty and hideous... Very entertaining (and cheaply made!!) B from the vault... 6,5/10.
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2011
    Drag Me to Hell (2009) 2/10
    Advertised as being a 'horror' movie, but it's just plain stupid. Uninteresting script, bad acting, terrible special effects.

Harry Potter 6 (2009) 3/10
    Harry Potter 7 (2010) 3/10
    I found both films very boring. Nothing new compared to the earlier films; the story is just dragging on and on.

Legaturi bolnavioase [Love Sick] (2006) 6/10
    A destructive love triangle between two girls and the brother of one of them. I suppose that themes like lesbianism and incest are not too well accepted in Romanian society, which makes the matter-of-factness with which they are dealt with here rather funny. But, maybe partly because of this casual approach, the focus is on the wrong character; the most complex one remains too much of a mystery.

Freakonomics (2010) 6/10
    The bestselling non-fiction book this is derived from, aimed to show 'the hidden side of everything', is probably better than this documentary, made by six different directors. The few cases singled out here do not provide too many surprising insights. Yet, there is a sympathetic whimsical atmosphere to the research that's presented.

My Blueberry Nights (2007) 6/10
    For a Wong Kar-wai fan, this was pretty disappointing. The story remains sketchy and Jude Law is terribly unconvincing. The movie does establish a certain 'mood', but nothing to fall in love with.

L'illusionniste (2010) 6/10
    Charming and melancholic, although the nature of the relation between the illusionist and the girl remains rather unclear. Maybe that's due to the adaptation of the original script? (For a very lengthy but interesting discussion see http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/pages-for-twitter/the-shame-of-jacques-tati.html )

Rabbit Hole (2010) 7/10
    Feel-a-bit-better movie about grief. Well made, fine screenplay, fine acting.

Les Triplettes de Belville (2003) 8/10
    The first half brilliant, the second half disappointing.

Medianeras [Sidewalls] (2011) 9/10
    Wonderful Argentinian debut film about two people searching for love in the modern city - in this case Buenos Aires. It's both a romantic comedy and an essay on architecture and urbanism, with great images and observations, sometimes cynical and ironic, often poetic.
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2011
    The adjustement bureau:6/10
    Tucker and dale vs evil:8/10
    Awesome, a very big and good surprise.
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2011 edited
    "The Drums of Jeopardy" (George B. Seitz, USA 1931)
    An early thriller/horror movie with Warner Oland (who'll be later the famous detective Charlie Chan) as a mad russian scientist (named Boris Karlov!!) who takes revenge after the death of her daughter cause a love affair with a noble prince Petrov... He want to kill the members of the Petrov family and just before dying they recieve a part of a famous jewel called "the drums of Jeopardy" the prince offered to Karlov's daughter... Interresting early B with nice photography and inventive story. 6,5/10.
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2011
    The Lord of The Rings:The Return of The King:10/10
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2011 edited
    "Monster from the Ocean Floor" (Wyott Ordung, USA 1954)
    A Corman production about a weird story of a girl who spend her vacation in Mexico near the sea. But there are some strange disappearance for some years. Natives say there is a monster under the sea. She meets a maris biologist who don't belive in such legends... But she want to prove him he's wrong... Very cheap production (as usual with Corman) with very few special effects, not very good acted but with nice underwater pictures... 5/10

"Varietease" (Irving Klaw, USA 1954) and "Teaserama" (Irving Klaw, USA 1955)
    Thos two movies are glamourous filmed shows of pretty sexy-dancers... it's of very few interrest but it's the ocasion to watch on wide screen some forgotten sexy stars of the 50's like Lili St. Cyr, Tempest Storm and especialy the well known sex-symbol of those years Betty Page. If she only makes a short appearance on the first movie she's really the star of the second. A curiosity. not more than 5/10 but for Page Lovers "Teaserama" deserves a 9/10 at least !!
  4.  permalink
    Rango - Fine for kids, funny and entretaining. I had to watch it dubbed in Portuguese from Portugual in the plane, so I think I've missed some parts, lol... 7/10
    Somewhere - Sort of slow but somehow never boring. It was exactly how I was expecting it to be and the soundtrack was awesome, as usual for Sofia Coppola's films. 7/10
    127 Hours - Not surprising at all, but it had some really clever moments and I liked the way it was edited. 7,5/10
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2011
    My (by now) summer movie list - The Slumdog Millionaire - excellent, a story about life, happiness, sorrow, good and bad sides of growing up and being an adult. Really a powerful portrait of one's tough destiny which kept me interested during the whole movie, 9/10.
    Lesbian Vampire Killers - full of cliches, with cheap humour, but a funny story. I'm not a parody fan and I think this was though of as one, 5/10
    500 days of Summer - definitely NOT a love story, especially if you're a romantic like me. Personally I adore movies which contain references to other arts, especially music, so just the mentioning of The Smiths, brit pop and Belle and Sebastian made it even more likeable to me, together with a great storytelling, beautiful screenwriting and excellent performances by the main actors, 8/10
    Defiance - I love true stories, sad stories, interesting destinies, Liev Schreiber, so what to say, but, an interesting true story about a remarkable group of people, unknown to many, who risked their lives to help others and save them, 8/10
    Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - after pretty boring and uninventive second and third part, I was once again transferred to Jack Sparrow's world and adventures. The part with catching a mermaid was stunning. This one was a great summer film, non demanding, light and great fun, 7/10
    The Dark City - one which I will definitely watch again. The movie is stunning, the story, the idea, the scenery, effects, acting. A movie, which should be mentioned and talked about more often, 9/10
    The Way Back - once again a true story about what bravery and strong will can do. Colin Farrel is worth mentioning as the highlight of a great cast in this tragedy. 8/10