Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMimimi
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2009
    # 14376 http://whatthemovie.com/beta/movies/view/14376

I did some research and found the following article, but they don't mention the title of the movie anywhere, GRRRRR!
    Today I gave up and pushed the 'show solution' button.
    And of course only DiedEnFreek solved it. ;)

Anyhow, I think Waters is making money the easy way. :P

Sunday, April 18, 2004
    End Reel (2002)
    JOHN WATERS, End Reel, 2002. Chromogenic color print 7 x 8.5 inches framed Ed/16.
    John Waters — Last Call: Photographs and Sculpture

Talking before a gallery audience of nearly 70 people on Saturday afternoon, Baltimore filmmaker and artist John Waters led an artist’s talk at Greg Kucera Gallery about his photography and other works on view from his series Last Call: Photographs and Sculpture exhibiting through May 8. He filled his informal presentation with humorous and engaging anecdotes about his photography and film.

Drunkenness, medical birth, sex, death, celebrity and serial killer personalities, film, and related subjects inform the collection of images Waters produced in his collage-like work. These are familiar subjects culled from terrain explored through the lens of his filmmaking career spanning nearly four decades.

Waters described how, by accident, he embarked on an obsessive interest in photography. Almost ten years ago, he wanted to get a still image from one of his earlier films — one he never had. He felt that a static image from the film could capture a unique essence of it, and provide a document of his memory of the film. While watching a video from the film, he snapped a photograph of the scene to isolate the image for a production still, called “art” in the industry. The result led to his exploration of the endless possibilities of finding moments in his films — and from other works; to extract images that could be derived from photography.

Initially, his first photographs contained compositional and reproduction flaws. He remembered when he used to be embarrassed about the imperfections of his earliest films. But imperfection is esteemed in modern art today, he said, and no longer worries about the flaws and mistakes in his images.

End Reel (2002) depicts a projectionist’s hand-written note — similar to a changeover cue — regarding the end of the film reel. Waters mentioned that a film audience will never see the end reel notes during a film screening as the reels are changed, but he wanted to have a document of this note for his collection. In another film-related work, Epic (2003) is short-hand for what the film “The Poseidon Adventure” is about: a sinking cruise ship. The image shows the film’s opening title in reverse, upside-down.

Several other works capture interesting juxtapositions and accidental imagery that offer amusing visual puns and wordplay. In 7734 (2003) Waters reveals Catholic-school code for a so-called “bad word”; when the work is rotated upside-down, “7734” becomes “hELL.” Cameraman machismo is subverted with a double-entendre in Swish Pan. And Glinda the Good Witch gets morphed with the Wicked Witch in a blurry cauldron of blue, pink and green in Wicked Glinda.

John Waters, commenting on working as an artist, described his attraction to art world elitism in contrast to his work as a filmmaker. Comparatively, as a filmmaker, he must try to appeal to everyone while working within the industry’s ratings system. However, he felt he has more freedom as an artist, and aspires to appeal to just one elitist person who recognizes his art — and to no one else. He said it’s like speaking a “secret lingo,” participating in a “secret club” and speaking the way bikers’ talk.

Source: http://www.artdish.com/blog/2004_04_01_archive.asp
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2009
    damn, i'd have known that one =/
    • CommentAuthorGamuci
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2009
    Hello,

I hope I won't disapoint you but I knew nothing about that before I read this thread =)

The still was hard but I really thought that several people would solve it within the 30 days. The thing I tried to do is to allow people to solve it not thanks to the image itself but thanks to the 2 words, so they could asks themselves questions like : what does those words mean, how comes can we see this on a movie, and so, wich movie uses such "process", etc.

I would prefer that some people find it by this way instead of the way that the first solver used....

By the way interesting thread ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMimimi
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2009
    Hi Gamuci, nice to read a response from you. ;)

Funny ... I did ask myself all those questions, but the 2 words.
    Did you try google on "end reel" etc ? ... right hopeless! ;)
    But I like a challenge and the second time, several weeks later, I found the article.

The great disappointment for me was and still is (a little) the fact that they do mention a movie title in connection with Waters Epic (2003) art but not for his End Reel (2000).
    As far as I know, John Waters was/is not related to this movie or the makers, but it is his artwork??

Another thing is the movie itself, I haven't seen it and I'm not going to after watching the trailer and some pictures. Brrrr!

And all of this because we are looking for What The Movie, great I love it! :D
    • CommentAuthorGamuci
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2009
    I tried to google it, I only found some links about John Waters and his work.
    By the way I found in an article the following sentence describing another of his images, but very similar to "end reel" :

"Blown-up film stills show the power of visual vocabulary, such as in 'Scene Missing' (2000), which shows the inherent meaninglessness and emptiness in life and the heavy lack of fulfillment that can settle within people."

So it looks he just get pictures from random movies that shows the best his thinking.

For the movie... some like it, some hate it but a lot of people watched it because it's really famous. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMimimi
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2009 edited
    Well I can´t follow his way of thinking, but do like some of his movies...

WTM art? :D

http://www.gregkucera.com/waters_reviews.htm