Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2009 edited
    Ok, I'll admit it, its only been 24 hours and I am already addicted to WTM bucks :)

Quick question though, from reading the FAQ, I see now that you can earn a maximum of 300 a day. I can understand why this limit is in place to stop people just spamming tags and shouts etc.

Can you tell us what is considered " a day" - is it midnight to midnight German time? or the last 24 hours from any moment in time?

Only reason I ask is because I just sat and wrote a nice big review for Dr Strangelove :) , and realised I didnt get any bucks. Its my fault for not realising I had hit the limit :) but just wondered for future use. In the future I will store the reviews locally before posting them ;)

Also, if someone was to "thumb up" a review or shout, and you had already hit your 300 limit, would that also not count?

Naut and tliffe, props for managing to make the site even more addictive :) Love it, although I've already told you both too many times!
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2009
    pleased to hear that :)

We'll add your questions to the help page, but let me answer them real quick right here:

Can you tell us what is considered " a day" - is it midnight to midnight German time? or the last 24 hours from any moment in time?
    >>> It's over 24 hours

Also, if someone was to "thumb up" a review or shout, and you had already hit your 300 limit, would that also not count?
    >>> I'm afraid, if you've hit your "daliy limit", all thumbs up and basically all additional points gains don't add up. We don't have a warning message or something like this yet, but its planned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Cheers Naut
    • CommentAuthoragonistes
    [QUOTE=naut]Can you tell us what is considered " a day" - is it midnight to midnight German time? or the last 24 hours from any moment in time?
    >>> It's over 24 hours[/QUOTE]

Hm, I still don't fully understand that. :P So after I get 300 bucks in a day, do I have to wait 24 hours after I got the last points that hit the 300? What If I get 295 points in an hour, then after 22 hours get another 5 points (hitting 300). Do I still have to wait 24 hours from that point on?
    Or is there a certain set point of time (like midnight to midnight EST) in which there is the limit?
    Maybe I'm overseeing something or looking way too much into it, but this bothers/confuses me. ^^
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2009 edited
    I've already stated in the chat that we have to draw a small diagram or something to explain it :)
    To answer your question: Of course you don't have to wait another 24 hours from what point on. You are allowed to gain 300 points on one full day. In your example

"What If I get 295 points in an hour, then after 22 hours get another 5 points (hitting 300)"

You would have to wait 2 more hours and would be allowed to score a maximum of 295 points... then wait another 22 hours to score a maximum of 5 points.
    Or wait 24 hours without scoring and score 300 again... and so on and so on
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2009
    I think it works this way:
    1:00 pm: you earn 100 bucks
    3:00 pm: you earn 100 bucks
    5:00 pm: you earn 100 bucks (for example)
    Then you can't earn any bucks until 1 pm next day. But it only let's you earn 100 bucks more, because only the 100 bucks you earned yesterday on that time will drop.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    and you earn 100 bucks for this correct answer

kidding
    •  
      CommentAuthorFifty
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2009
    Wouldn't that be easier if you could earn bucks from midnight to midnight everyday with a limit of 300 bucks a day?
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    midnight ≠ midnight
    whatthemovie players are from all over the world
    •  
      CommentAuthorZanapher
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2009
    It's true that midnight is not the same for everyone, but having bucks updated at a specific time each day might be simpler for everyone (it doesn't have to be midnight).
    That way you know that if you play on whatthemovie roughly at the same hour each day it will work correctly, whereas with the current system if some day you play at 3pm and earn 300 points, and then come the next day and play at 2:30pm you won't get any point (whereas in this example it would have worked if the reset was at any time except between 2:30 and 3:00).

Besides, if you say the reset happens at midnight, German time, people can see what time that corresponds to in their country and play accordingly. Overall, it's much easier to keep track of how many points have already been earned that way, and know how many more we can get before the limit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2009
    I agree. Would be much easier for everyone.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2009
    *looking over to tliff and telling him what you said* => reaction: can do
    • CommentAuthormunkt0n
    this 24 hour rolling thing is very confusing. I can't remember when I reached my limit of 300 points, so I wait a day, rate some more new submissions and 'waste' the bucks, as I can't undo a vote. maybe I have to wait 10 mins before voting, maybe I have to wait an hour, there's no way of knowing. the end result is frustration, and no rating of new submissions! an indicator saying 'daily bucks limit reached' would be nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFifty
    I agree with munkt0n. But for me the midnight to midnight (german time) limit is the best.
    Even if peoples from everywhere are playing. Today I started earning bucks at 4 pm and I haven't reached my limite of 300 bucks but I don't know when I'll can vote again to earn bucks. So If I reach the 300 at 7 pm today I'll start at 7 pm and the next day at 8 pm,... So the midnight thing would be interesting.
  1.  permalink
    To me it's fine the way it is. Especially since it encourages you to rate stills in the queue. As long as people take rating stills seriously, the more the better and I think there are enough stills to rate to get a daily BucksFix ;)

Even though the "midnight thing" sounds logical here, there are also fans in Brazil. For that reason I think the current system is very nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFifty
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2009
    Midnight here means 8pm in brazil, I don't see the problem.
    I just think the deadline to get the 300 bucks should be at the same hour every day.
  2.  permalink
    A fix hour per day would be better for me to. No matter what time it is, noon or midnight, I think it would be easier to understand for everyone (the actual system is not bad, just a little bit hard to keep in mind without any time-mark).
  3.  permalink
    What's the problem? Giving a rating and not getting B? Or tagging and not getting B?

I thing getting B while tagging and rating is nice, but if after a while I'm at my daily limit, it doesn't stop me from tagging and rating...
    • CommentAuthorbap2008
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2009
    @DiedEnFreek: according to the help section you won't gain bucks adding tags
    •  
      CommentAuthorFifty
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2011
    I know it's an old topic but the 24 hours rule to gain bucks still annoys me. I suppose it won't ever change but I wondered if there might be a chance to re-open the debate. At the moment I can only have access to the site during the day (at work) but since I've to actually work I can't choose the time of my daily visit on WTM. For exemple yesteray I came around 4 pm and today around noon so I'll not earn any bucks till 4pm but I'm not sure I'll have the opportunity to vote for NS shots at that time