Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFifty
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2009 edited
    (English is not my tongue so i'll try to do my best)

When you upload a movie, you have to check if the snapshot you're trying to post hasn't already be posted. The problem is that you see every snapshots corresponding to that movie, even those you've not solved... Of course shots already posted must be checked so they're not uploaded again but I think you should just see the shots that you've already solved.

I hope that was clear...

(and thank you for the new version, I was wondering how better that would be, that new version really rox !)
    • CommentAuthorChogori
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2009 edited
    You explained that very well, and I wanted to corroborate it. Also wanted to report it yesterday but the whole forum was out of whack. Not only do you see those snapshots, but they're linked for convenience as well. :/

Edit: it occurred to me that all someone has to do is just sit in the upload screen and just type movies in, and follow all the links given. The rest is history. That's actually a quite sloppy error. Oof...ouch... ;)
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2009
    please fix this soon

in the meen time disable the ulpoads
    •  
      CommentAuthorZanapher
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2009
    Well... normally it should only show existing snapshots that are in the archive (and hence don't earn points).
    Meaning that it's pointless to use that to cheat (there's a button that shows the solution for those screenshots...).

Now, if you really want to guess all snapshots and don't ever want to use the "show solution" button as a personal challenge, yeah, that could be a problem... But it's not really an error.
    • CommentAuthorChogori
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2009
    Ahhhh! Good! Actually, that makes sense... only the archive, I mean. Because the current uploads, we can all see now. So you'd already know if a similar shot was up there, or, if not, you'd see it soon enough. Kudos for already having anticipated that. And the new site; takes some getting used to, and some stuff I personally (Repeat: PERSONALLY) find to be clutter, but you did a great job. So, if something can be said enough, it shoudl be "Thank you, for the efforts put in by all, to entertain us."

Thank you. :)

C.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    I am one of the people who doesn't use the "show solution button" and i upload often, so personally for me it is a problem.

but i like the new site
  1.  permalink
    I don't know where the problem is, even if you don't use the "Show Solution" button and upload often. I'm exactly like you, and I was very unconfortable with this new feature in WTM v2 during the Beta.
    But I realized that, as the "two-accounts" method worked before, anyone who wants to cheat can do the same with the Upload search now. But anyone who wants to continue the game with the archives should just avoid to click on the shots he haven't solved yet.
    I know that you will surely perceive an unsolved screenshot when you will upload a new one, but this is a compromise we all have to accept, in order to keep the new (and fair) upload system.
    After all, the number of "movies solved" only appears in the user's page, there is still no race about it.
    You will see ! After few days, you will manage it !

And I have to recognize that, even for a player like me, to eventualy discover a shot of a well-known movie, that I had not solved yet, without spending half-an-hour hurting my eyes on the overview, I really appreciate it !
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    I like how players explain things to other players!
    Very well done, thank you all. I have nothing more to say :)
    • CommentAuthorbap2008
    what criterias decide whether a shot is transferred from New Submission to Feature Films ?

yesterday some shots (don't know the numbers - from Metropolis, The Wild Bunch etc.) didn`t make it to Feature Films, althogh they had an average rating way above 6.0.
    today some shots were transferred whose rating is clearly below 6.0.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2009 edited
    @bap2008

I think that the idea is that the movies in the top 10 or top 20 at that moment are going in the feature films
    so if that time a movie is below 6.0 but is in the top 10/20 than it's going in the feature films

correct me if I'm wrong
    • CommentAuthorbap2008
    @LordMyst

so if I want my uploaded shot to proceed to Featured Films it is necessary to give all the other shots bad ratings ? XD
  2.  permalink
    That's the idea, bap2008, that's the idea... And don't forget to give a systematic 10/10 to your shots !
    For the last days, as the site is submerged by screenshots from all around the world, the limit seems to have been pushed to 50 films (from NewSub to Features), normaly it should be around 20. So we could guess that a 6.0 will be a good threshold, sooner or later.
    • CommentAuthorIkonos
    That's a bit of a problem... I love going through all the past images trying ton find the movies I missed/didn't see by the time.

I always thought it would be quite useful to find some way (TinEye.com ?) to check image existence in the database. (i.e, upload the image, check existence, proceed with uploading if not or delete if already existing)

It would help in some way.

A good compromise would be to show the "checking images" not hyperlinked (this way at least we can't go directly to them).