Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2009
    Until this afternoon, each time a pic was solved in this section, it was listed as solved (but was listed as solved by "nobody").
    But now, newly submitted pics remain unsolved... even if they've been solved.
    Is this a bug or is it intended ?
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2009
    fixed
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2009
    Thanks !

I've noticed something else that could be corrected : I keep getting the red bar (the "unsolved (everybody)" one) for pics that I haven't solved, but that have been solved by other users. And this affects both New Submissions and Feature Films sections.
    It's no big deal, actually, it's just not working how it's supposed to be.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2009
    Also I just noticed I get the green bar under pics I requested the solution.
  1.  permalink
    why putting hints?
    that s not the point of WTM.
    Personally i am not sure about tags. I hope we had an option to see public tags or private tags...
    • CommentAuthorDiedEnFreek
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2009 edited
    I find the indication by the green bars that you at least know (could know) the solution quite helpfull actually. Just maybe differentiate between "solved" and "requested solution" with a paler green (or something like that that looks nice :) )
    but it's not something i'm dieing for to see...
  2.  permalink
    "Every day there is a fixed amount of movie snapshots which are transferred from New Submissions to Feature Films based on their rating."

Where is the amount? How does it happen, that yesterday a movie with a 2/10 score went to the featured films?

See: http://forum.whatthemovie.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=307&page=1#Item_9
    •  
      CommentAuthorZendrig
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2009
    The average scrore doesn't matter. It's the 20 "or so" best votes that determine whether a shot is transferred.
  3.  permalink
    Well, lets take a look to the featured movies per day:
    2009/5/30: 42 movies
    2009/5/31: 39 movies
    2009/6/1: 22 movies
    2009/6/2: 25 movies
    2009/6/3: 66 movies
    From the 2nd of June some movies were deleted. I don't think so for the movies from yesterday.

"It's the 20 "or so" best votes that determine whether a shot is transferred. "
    To understand you right, lets take this academic example. We have two movies A and B with this votes:
    A: 7, 7, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 -> Average 2.2
    B: 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6 -> Average 6.0
    And instead of the "best 20" the best 2 votes determine wheater the shot is transferred. So movie A would be chosen, because it gets two times a 7 is better than two times a 6. Strange isn't it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorconnectiv
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2009
    I don't think it's done like that... I think they actually meant the best average, so in your example movie B would be chosen over movie A..?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2009 edited
    Yup, 20 (or so) best average ratings, not votes ofc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFifty
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009 edited
    The game became really easier now that we can vote for shots in the new submission section cause the easiest shots (also the most solved) arrive more often than the others to the feature film section.
  4.  permalink
    @fifty: i agree and to me that s a really bad thing. Hardest shots wont go the feature film section and that s sad!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2009
    There are some shots with zero or only few solves that make it, but most are famous movies indeed. But I think one of the goals from the WTM-team is to make it a little easier then in WTM1. Still some great shots will make it because of their awesomness and others can be protected by so they'll make it for sure to the feature films (But it will take a little while before the protecting really works because you'll need more then 53000 bucks for that).

I think the people who prefer less known shots should just waste some more time in the new submissions-section.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFifty
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2009
    Yes I can't wait to be an executive producer and protect these poor unpopular shots ^^
    • CommentAuthorChogori
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2009
    People like Ren are getting the short end of the stick, with this voting-behavior. He's doing great shots of movies I personally don't watch, or haven't watched, but it's (a) genre(s) he likes. And he's entitled to uploading them, as much as someone who only prefers movies from the past 5 years. SO what that I don't get his shots...big deal. But perhaps some are seeing it as some sort of 'payback' or 'revenge' for never being able to get his shots, screwing up their points-total or something, and taking out that frustration in such a way. Totally wrong way to look at this game, but I wouldn't want to feed those who feel that way; I don't think my table would be able to accommodate them! ;)

Some movies are old. Their screenshots will be grainy, sometimes just bad, even taken directly from the DVD. Shame to punish these shots with low votes. As said on the voting-bar, rate the AWESOMENESS. Perhaps it should be added to also consider the age of the movie.

Just my 2 cents. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2009 edited
    We are just passing throw a period of "educative votes". I think a majority of people is looking at the average vote before voting thelmselves. That means there's a phenomenon of vote-imitation since few days, and it's decreasing.
    And you're right, Chogori, a frustrated uploader will vote the minimum by revenge, and a newbie will vote down a B&W shot or a pretty unknown film. That's not a shame for me, it's just the reaction after only 2 weeks of this new system.
    But I feel confident about it, as I can see that the average rate, after 48H, is never far from its real note, and as real bad shots (sex content, aspect ratio, lake of information, not fun, etc...) are often rejected with low rates.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSara
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2009
    I really like the voting option and use it a lot. Since I don't know so many popular movies I normally rate new submissions for their aesthetic value (my taste, of course ;-) ) or wit or this little wow!-moment ... usually I vote those shots down which show only one actor standing somewhere or too much sex and crime and blood. Like LePaposaure's just pointed out above.

But I would NEVER EVER think of revenging myself on anybody for uploading snapshots from genres I don't like or watch generally!

Having said that: back to vote ...
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2009
    is there a fault in the system?

my upload http://whatthemovie.com/shot/20965 was uploaded after my other upload http://whatthemovie.com/shot/20964 => 10hs at this moment

has someone with mega powers push my photo in the feature films
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    @ lordmyst,

some people higher up the chain (like naut etc) have the ability to instantly approve stills. Maybe that happened?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    If you shot has under 24 hours left and the score is fx. 8,5 then the shot asap will be moved into Feature movies I think! It happened also to one of my pictures...
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    Razzomega is right. If a new shot is needed in the feature films and your upload has 22h to go but has the highest rating of all (with less then 24h to go) it will be approved.