Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.  permalink
    Since I read a compliment somewhere on the forum about learning flags from different countries, I thought it might be interesting to post something about English.

In general in the UK people write "ou" where Americans use "o". Like neighbour and COLOUR.
    The reason why I bring this up is that I find English a beautiful language and I would encourage everybody to use English instead of American.

Check here for more examples : http://esl.about.com/library/vocabulary/blbritam.htm

By the way, the correct English word is potato (and lift, not elevator) (and aluminium, not aluminum).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSara
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2009
    *thumbs up*

btw, book recommendation: Eats, Shoots, and Leaves ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2009
    those hilarious pandas
    •  
      CommentAuthorZanapher
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009
    French is also a beautiful language, but I'm not asking people to rewrite their sites in French.
    American and British forms of English differ, but choosing one or the other is a matter of taste, not correctness.

The only thing important (if you want to spell properly) is to mantain a consistent choice (not write "colour" and "center").
    •  
      CommentAuthorZanapher
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009 edited
    Btw, "potatoe" doesn't exist. Neither in British nor American English...
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    pfff, you say tomato, i say tomato
    •  
      CommentAuthorZanapher
    "You say yes, I say no.
    You say stop and I say go go go, oh no.
    You say goodbye and I say hello
    Hello hello
    I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello
    Hello hello
    I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello."
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    hahahahahjahahhahaha
  2.  permalink
    @Zanapher. For one thing I thought English was default language on this site.
    And you're right, French has it's charmes aswell. If there was a language that looked for 99% like French, I would ask the same for French :)
  3.  permalink
    Even though I strongly prefere the use of "colour" over "color", I agree that consistency is more important. Same for "black & white" and "black and white".
    •  
      CommentAuthorZanapher
    It turns out that English is also the official language in the United States... It's just American English (which, like it or not, is also English).
    I can very well see how one prefers the British variant, but the fact remains that in the United States they use a language that is correct and that is called English.

Besides languages are by essence in constant evolution, so why would one consider that the English they speak in England is "more correct" than the one they speak in the United States ? After all none of them are the same as their ancestors from previous centuries, so both are deformations of what English was previously (this former English being in turn a deformation of previous languages...).

All this being said, I think it's a great thing for English that it is so widely used by people from all around the world because it makes it the fastest evolving language ever and it's little by little picking from languages all around it, mainly because many people whose mother tongue is not English now use it a lot (like I do for instance). I don't know what the consequences will be in the next century on the evolution of English, but it certainly is a very interesting linguistic phonomenon (and English is a very good language for this because it was already formed from very different orgins and has always been a mix of many different older languages, so this faster evolution is in the natural continuity of the language as it is now).
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    looks like naut is drunk. or gagged.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    well put Zanapher
    tliff: hhooohohoohoohhihihihihihi