Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorShayah
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2009 edited
    Some shots were already submitted in the New submissions section and (I guess) they didn't pass through the Feature Films section. A few days later, I can ses these shots again as new submissions, like these two:
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/21187
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/21233

My first reaction would be to vote for their deletion, because I think there's no interest to submit the same still several times: if they were rated not good enough, that's a pity, but that's the rules, people's choices may be rude sometimes...

But I can't vote for deletion, because maybe they HAD to be re-posted (black bars were removed, or an aspect ratio was corrected, or the uploader is not the same person (coincidence!), or any good reason to give them a second chance...)

I can't remember what the first still looked like or who uploaded it, and I guess (i hope!) I'm not the only one in this situation

Is there a way to add commentaries on the submissions, like: "re-post, but the first one was fucked up?"
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2009
    one is wrong aspect, other unsharp
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    From what I remember :
    - No change in 1st one, so there's no reason to re-submit.
    - 2nd one had its black bars removed, so that's an improvement. But quality is still pretty low... :(
    • CommentAuthortoffetomas
    I posted the first one...
    I was told it was deleted because the aspect ration was wrong, but there was nothing wrong with the aspect ratio!
    I really dont know why people thought there was something wrong with it and deleted it, but i can assure you there wasnt anything wrong with the aspect ratio, the shots comes straight from dvd.
    This is the reason i submitted the still again...

(but don't worry it won't get through anyway... ;) )
    • CommentAuthorShayah
    That's precisely what I want to say: if we don't know why you submit it a second time, we'll probably reject it a second time, that's why I was wondering if it would be possible to add a commentary to give explanations in these particular cases.

And, by the way, I must say I thought the ratio of this one was wrong, but you were probably not stupid enough to make the same mistake twice ;-)
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    @ toffetomas
    This snapshot is obviously distorted. Thus, there's something *suspicious* about the aspect ratio.
    But, as the colors don't look natural either, that might be director intended... But, that might also come from inaccurate DVD software settings.
    What's the aspect ratio stated on the back cover of the DVD sleeve ?
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    It comes from the movie, not the aspect ratio... There can be distorted images in a movie, and colors dont always look "natural" in a movie. How can you know this? This is obviously very subjective again. And in this case, this is like this in the movie!
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    Chrisy, that's exactly what I'm saying. That's why I didn't vote for deletion on this one : not knowing the movie, I can't be affirmative whether the aspect ratio is correct or not.
    And to clear this out, it seemed logical to ask about the ratio stated on the DVD sleeve.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZanapher
    @toffetomas: I think the shot looks great (mainly because of the colors) but it's true that the soldiers look vertically compressed.
    Since I don't know the movie at all, I can't say if it's normal. Do you really guarantee that it's normal that they appear that way in the movie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    MisterZob is right, I think you should only be allowed to vote for deletion if you solved the movie. There are many movies where people do vote-deletion for bad quality (for example), but if it's a very old movie, it can still be max quality possible for a still.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    It's very rare to do vote-deletion for bad quality. For me, if the shot comes from a Divx format and if the quality is really bad, I just vote down (1-4/10). Vote deletion is about an abusive content, a wrong aspect ratio and black-bars.
    Perhabs could the uploader add a commetary in the shout box, if the shot has a specificity that could make people think about an error...
    @MisterZob: the back cover of the dvd sleeve says Widescreen format 1.78:1
    @ Zanapher: I am sure the screenshot is exactly how it appears on the dvd.
    @ Zythux: you can vote for deletion if you haven't solved it, for example with black bars, but you have to be careful with deleting because of low quality or other reasons (like wrong aspect ratio ;) )

I just find it very strange that it was voted for deletion based on something which is not the case at all (wrong ratio).
    But anyway it won't go through, so it doesn't seem to matter much...

More important is how to prevent this kind of thing to happen a next time.
    First of all you should get a message when your upload has been deleted, with the reason (think they are working on this already)
    Second you should then have the oppertunity to post it again and make clear why its posted again and that the problem (low quality, black bars, wrong ratio...) has been solved. (cause now this still has almost been voted for deletion again because its a repost (and somebody who still thinks its the wrong ratio))
    •  
      CommentAuthorZanapher
    there :)
    • CommentAuthorKIni
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2009
    Besides of reposts due to former mistakes: am I allowed to simply repost a still that has not made it to feature films? The rules are not quite clear here: "Don‘t post the same or a similar shot, which has already been posted at wtm" - does that only concern ff or actual new submissions? As far as I know when posting a movie, I can only check if that still has been posted if it has made it to ff - I dont´s see it if it has been rejected so I´m in danger of being deleted for reposting without knowing that it was a repost. And in my oppinion no one should be prevented from trying to post a shot dor a second chance - perhaps it´s contestants were too strong by then, perhaps it´s really crap. In this case it hopefully will never make it...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    Let people, repost if they want . . . doesn't really bother me . . It would be in their best interest to wait a little bit first, but it's not a big deal either way . . .

There really are too many deletion votes. Voting a 1/10 is just as good to get rid of a still if you think there is something wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    there are too many stills anyway porin in (too much succes....), so trying again is annoying, and I will vote to delete them unless there was something wrong before.
    @pspan: If you vote for deletion because of repost, how can you be sure it wasn't posted again cause there was something wrong before?

I think it should just be allowed, don't see any good reason why it shouldn't be allowed.
    • CommentAuthorKIni
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009
    @pspan: probably the repost is not by the first poster. And he can´t know about the first post, if it didn´t succeed! So voting for deletion might seem quite unfair for the reposter.