Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorFedtTony
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009
    astrododo, you are probably right. Noone can be as fast as he is =)
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009
    I think if you are worried about the quality of your shot (because of the inherit quality of the movie), you should add a tag such as "DVD Quality".

The other option is to vote delete your image immediately, explaining why others shouldn't do so (e.g. "VLC screenshot, DVD Quality. Please don't delete, this is just an older film."). This way, when someone goes to delete, they see your explanation of why it shouldn't be deleted. And if you get four vote deletes, you're almost guaranteed to get a fifth, so you don't lose much by having an extra vote.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Great idea astrododo, think I will dust off my classic film collection and do this :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    @ astrododo that's a really good idea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    Almost all of my last shots are gone now. Sometimes I didn't even see a red skull on them before and I don't understand what's wrong with them! They are all DVD shots and never break any rules, so what's going on here?
    I understand if a shot is boring for some people, than it get's a low rating and don't make it to Feature Films. So what, I don't care about that, but why delete them? There is NO reason for this. This just makes me angry.
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    Maybe the rules should be changed so that shots with 5 delete votes are deleted after 48 hours, instead of immediately. If we do this, then great shots that are deleted can still be saved by admins.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    Maybe we should call this "WHAT THE ART" or something like that. Then I would only upload wonderful snapshots that will blow everyones mind, but are impossible to guess. Maybe doing a little Photoshop before, so it looks even better!

;)

Anyways, I uploaded a nice shot that probably will make it through. If this one get's deleted, I'm out of here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSara
    Deviant, that's blackmail ... ;-)
    Now I've caught myself checking the uploaders' name, which is something I don't do when voting on New Submissions, wondering how your shot might look like and if it'd be still okay to rank it low or better not. The answer to which should be: yes.
    "No fair!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009 edited
    Well, you have the right to do so. But that post was not meant to blackmail anybody to give my snapshot good ratings or anything. Just be fair yourself and everything will be fine ;-)

To make it clear: It's not about the ratings here, it's about that stupid red skull that is destroying the fun of uploading.
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    Explaining that the screenshot is not bad quality by voting to delete it yourself seems to be working for me:
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/22401
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    Good idea astrododo!

It's only a workaround tho and the voting button still needs a relaunch. But for now it will do.
    btw: The tagging with "dvd quality" seems to work, too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZanapher
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009
    I agree that at the moment it's too simple to delete a snapshot and some disappear too quickly without any possible reaction.
    I guess the deletion process will have to be changed a bit... In the meantime, please don't give up, and try not to take these incidents personally.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    Why is shot 22242 gone now? It recently left the "New submissions" and had 2 (TWO) delete votes. The way I understand it, it should now end up in the archive, because it had not so good ratings, which would be okay for me. But it's deleted. Why?
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    @Deviant, there are only 20 shots which go to the feature films per 24 hours
    There are 2 options if your shot has been deleted:
    1. 5 people voted for deletion (but this doesn't seem to be the case here)
    2. Your shot did not have a high score enough to go through (comparing to other shots), then it gets deleted at the end of the 48hrs

In either case, your shot would not go to the archive part. The archive part is only the same as the feature part (but for shots older than 1 month)
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009 edited
    "The way I understand it, it should now end up in the archive, because it had not so good ratings, which would be okay for me."
    No, snapshots that don't qualify for Feature Films just vanish (I don't speak about deletion on purpose, but the result is the same).
    Movie Archive is for Features Films that are more than 30-days old.

EDIT : Chrisy was faster.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    Oh, I thought the feature films contain only the best ones and the archive also has the ones that are maybe not so good, but don't violate any rules. Now I understand.
    • CommentAuthortoffetomas
    Can anybody please explain me why this http://whatthemovie.com/shot/22381 is not voted for deletion?
    (I think its because most people solved it and don't want to vote a solved shot for deletion)
    Really think it's a nice shot, but the quality is bad. It's a recent movie so the quality should be much better.
    I would like to see it reposted in better quality
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    I think the picture itself is just a little bit overcompressed, but it doesn't look that bad. I was actually wondering why this has any votes at all. This nitpicking has to stop.
    • CommentAuthortoffetomas
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009 edited
    ok, it doesn't look that bad. But i think it could look much better if the shot was taken from dvd.
    Don't get me wrong, i never vote for deletion because of bad quality with older movies, or movies i don't know. But a shot from a recent movie like this should be better quality if you ask me.

The thing i find strange is that some shots are deleted because of bad quality when they shouldn't because there is no better quality available, but this shot could be in better quality and its not deleted.
    • CommentAuthorMadMarky
    @Deviant
    I started the delete vote for #22242 because the image seemed to be very blurry. I must admit that i don't know the movie, nor the budget that it was made on, nor it's age, but i could hardly see any detail at all on the shot. Maybe that explains it a bit.
    Btw i got a shout from naut so that's why i'm here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2009
    @MadMarky
    I'm over it now, I won't terrorize you for that :D I wrote a message in the snapshots shoutbox about why this looks so bad, but apparently nobody could see that, because it's hidden of course.
    It was an old b-movie from the 70s, which probably has been captured right from VHS by the distributor. It's still an original DVD. Anyways, I won't upload that one anymore, that's for sure^^
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    astrododo said:
    "Explaining that the screenshot is not bad quality by voting to delete it yourself seems to be working for me:
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/22401"

This is a good idea, and I am now following this advice. However take a look at this http://whatthemovie.com/shot/22556 and check the vote delete reasons.

LOL! Dont use up the vote deletes by saying you agree with me! *slaps forehead*

On the one astrododo linked to someone has also done another vote delete wih "blank" reason. :/ No helping some people it would seem :)
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    hahahaha!
    That's especially funny since Ren seems to know what he's doing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSara
    I'd venture to guess that DiedEnFreek did it on purpose ... just as proof of principle :-)))
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    OMG you're right Sara DiedEnFreek has done it as well now!

Im speechless ... really...

Is it possible that people are adding these reasons because they actually want the still deleted or what?
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    About #22572 : sorry if I did not give any reason for my deletion-vote, I hit the Vote button by mistake. But judging from the aspect ratio of the shot, it isn't taken from a DVD.
    By the way, I think deletion votes shouldn't be taken into account if no reason is given. Plus it might be nice to be able to edit/remove a vote (before we reach 5 votes, of course).
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2009 edited
    Which shot are you talking about MZ? 22572 is my one and you havent voted on that. 22401 is the one with the blank delete reason, by username Stephan. Is that your account?

And a DVD can be any aspect ratio. The format/medium a movie is on has no bearing to what aspect ratio it is, this is purely the director/producer's choice.

EDITED: sorry that came across quite patronizing, that was not my intention. words are not my skill :)
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    "And a DVD can be any aspect ratio".
    No. There are many aspect ratios, I am aware of that, believe me.
    But AFAIK, no movie was released in theaters with an aspect ratio (width/height) below 1.00:1... ;)
    #22572 was like this : only 300+ wide and 400 high. This was not from a DVD. Anyway, it's gone now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Oh OK sorry, I had my wires crossed, thought you were talking about one of my uploads, thats not one of mine, I got the numbers wrong. Doh! Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/22556

4 non-votes now :/ All it takes is for some joker to come along and hit that delete button and its gone :/

People who have already voted:

* them00ch : old film, taken from DVD please no bad quality votes
    * Ren : Absolutely agree! Don't delete
    * DiedEnFreek : Looks good enougg for an old movie. Please don't delete!
    * Maxi : ya, one more and it is deleted ^^
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    If it gets deleted, resubmit it. I don't think that's explicitly against the rules.

In fact, if you want, I'll delete it right now, and you can resubmit it immediately, and most people probably won't notice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Thanks for the offer. Dont worry about it though, Its not going to go through anyway judging by present score. Not worth clogging up my 3 upload slots :)

As an experiment I've been uploading only modern well known movies recently, they have ALL got through. As soon as I upload something slightly more obscure (and I mean slightly - this is a very well known, award winning film - 8 oscar nominations, multiple BAFTAs) it gets a really low score, just cos its tough, and probably because its Black and White. Its just confirmed what I suspected.

Looks like Im going back to uploading johnny depp movies again :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    no themooch, not more johnny depp movies.
    i'd kill myself :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    ok it got deleted :/

Cheers for helping it on its way Ren, DiedEnFreek, and Maxi :(

Dont think I will be trying that approach again astrododo. This has just confirmed my feelings that the power to delete shouldnt be in the hands of everyone. If it gets voted down and doesnt make FF, thats fair enough, but to be deleted like this just takes the p***

afaik, it was unsolved, so here it is incase anyone wants to guess
  1.  permalink
    My apalogies, them00ch.
    I liked the still.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Heh thats OK man, its pretty funny now :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009
    Even famous people of this place are now voting for strange "bad quality" reasons !
    This one is perfect
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/23049
    but got already 3 bad quality votes.
    Don't you recognize this excellent movie M. SnakePlisken, LePaposaure and movieuser ????
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009 edited
    Considering snakeplissken is the first solver on this shot, I think its fair to say he does recognize the movie :)

EDIT : and this shot is driving me crazy. I DEFINITELY know it but cant quite place its name... yet. I will get it so I hope it doesnt get deleted :(
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    I'm sure you know it them00ch :)
    Besides, it fits perfectly the Rules and is very representative of the movie itself and of the general mood of its director. Maybe they find it too dark, but that is what he wanted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    I do think people need to realise jpg compression hurts images with subtle gradients of a single colour. It seems to hurt red images harder for some reason or its more noticeable. But jpg compression does not equal a bad quality shot. You can see in the lower right corner of the image, and round the edges of the bag, that its actually a crisp image, with lots of detail. I think this has got votes due to jpeg artefacts, and dated special effects :)

I dont think this deserves LQ votes.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009 edited
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/23143#
    2 votes for deletions because the movie has less than 50 voters on IMDB
    I thought we could post less known movies, this one has even been solved by 13 people
    This is anowing if people start voting for deletion that way, it should be about the awesomeness of the shot and as I understood there is no rules of that kind...

Edit: I have left them both a message:
    "Please do not vote for deletion because a movie is not very much known and has few voters on IMDB. There are no rules at this stage of that kind and the vote for deletion should be only for bad quality!
    Less known movies have their place on WTM and should have their chance if the shot is good! There are among us some who enjoy and do watch less known movies, thanks!"
  2.  permalink
    hm. I guess we can start hitting the delete button with Forrest Gump, Sin City, Fight Club, Johnny Depp part so manieth
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009
    It's gona be WAR!!!
    lol

But seriously, That really proves once more the way people probably vote, if they dont know the movie, they will give it a 1, the majority does this, I'm sure...
  3.  permalink
    Voting for deletion cause it has too less imdb votes...
    And this is what he posts: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/23191#
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    WAR I tell you....
    :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    The guy has a serious Forrest Gump obsession. thats the 4th FG still he has uploaded. Isnt there a rule that you cant upload more than 2 stills from the same movie? Or is that just 2 at the same time in new submissions?

Im thinking of setting up whattheforrestgump.com
  4.  permalink
    this is a war that we can win with 5 people. hehehe.

but I'm expecting a new frature in the near future if we start that war. "THE BAN".
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    I also thought there would be some kind of error message if you have already 2!
    Because this guy has already 2 Forrest Gump which went through to the feature part....
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    It must mean 2 simultaneously in new submission then I guess? I always thought it meant one person can only upload 2 stills from the same movie ever.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    Yes that's what I thought too and it would make sense, come on, I can post 10 from one movie if I want, that would be ridiculous!
    Maybe an admin can confirm?