Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2009 edited
    I just made an experiment: I posted 3 shots 48 hours ago :
    1/ An old black and white movie, very famous with at least one very famous actor easily recognizable
    2/ A very famous quite recent movie, already present in the FF section several times
    3/ A "foreign" (for US citizens) movie, probably less known than the 2 others.

The ratings were exactly as expected:
    1/ got about 5.X stars, 2/ got more than 6 and 3/ got less than 5.

And what happened ?
    Only number 3 (with the lowest score of the 3) was selected to go to the FF section !

Dear admin: can you explain again what are *really* the criterions...
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2009
    I may be wrong efji, but I dont think its the end score that counts. Someone in another post said it was something like the best 20 votes that count.

So if 20 people voted a 10, but a thousand people voted 1, your overall score might be poor, but your 20x10 votes would get it through.

However I dont fully understand it myself so Im sure someone more knowledgable about the subject can explain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZendrig
    The criteria should be re-examined in my opinion. It's very frustrating to see your uploads being rejected in spite of a good average rating.
    What was the problem with my recent upload? I don't get it.
    http://whatthemovie.com/user/Zendrig

I'm not going to upload anything until this issue has been adressed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFifty
    @ zendrig: Too bad your shot didn't make it cause I found the colors beautiful. I've never seen the movie but this shot made me want to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZendrig
    Indeed, when I saw this scene I was like 'Whoa, awesome! I'm going to upload this beautiful shot.'... only to find that it gets a lame 6 average stars like almost any other random shot in the new submissions.
    • CommentAuthorChogori
    Nice overview shot. Rays of the sun are a nice touch. Shame, man. :(
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    @ Zendrig: I really like the stills you uploaded!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    @them00ch, I think you're not right. There's a fixed amount (around 20 I guess) of shots that get through. Those 20 shots are the shots with the highest average rating from the movies with less then 24h to go.

@efji, Your third shot must have been protected by an admin. At this moment, the ~20 highest movies make it to the FF and besides that the ones protected by an admin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    @Zythux, yes you are right, the best 20 or so shots get through.

However the way these 20 shots are selected are apparently NOT on its main score, but on its best votes, which is what I said :) As I said though I may be misunderstanding it.
  1.  permalink
    i uploaded a shot of schwarzenegger carrying a rocket launcher on his shoulders and the still got a decent 6.7 as main score. I compared it to the movies that also had less than 24h to go and it was one of the better ones among them. it didn't make it to the feature films and now i'm asking me why?
    i don't how the uploading procedure worked before, but it couldn't be as tough as it is now. really compelling me into submission...
    and how come none of my uploads is seen in the recent uploads on my site? or is that for FF's only?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    I think they changed the recent uploads on profile page, so you can only see your FF now. (as it should be)
    • CommentAuthorFedtTony
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2009
    Schwarzschild, it's simple. If I have first solved on a shot, it doesn't make it to feature films! ;)
    It was the same with the Stalker and Shortbus-shot :p
    • CommentAuthorhurley19
    I had just the opposite happen. I recently uploaded 3 movies to the new submissions. Out of all 3 only one made it and that was the highest ranked one! It was a 7. The other two ranked almost 5.5. And when I clicked my two shots to see if they made it into feature films I got the red sentence of death telling me I can't view this page. WTF Mate? The two stills were not voted for deletion and they were being solved. I do not like that some people in higher ranks can just say it can't go through. That's NOT COOL. If they stayed the 48 hrs and no one complained then why aren't they going through? It is very discouraging. Why should I keep uploading if they don't make it? And they were good stills too. One from a movie uploaded a gazillion times and not a whole lot of people got it. But, on the other hand, one very obvious still from the same movie made it into the feature films before the damn 48 hrs was even close to being up for that person. That doesn't make any sense at all!
  2.  permalink
    FedtTony, so because of your rank you can decide which stills may pass and which not?

and I totally agree with hurley19, the system right now can be very unrewarding. why should I bother loading stuff up when it won't make it anyway.
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    I think FedtTony is joking that all the movies that he has gotten a first solve on have not made it to feature films, so that he's obviously jinxed not to get a first solve on anything that makes it to feature films.
    • CommentAuthorFedtTony
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009 edited
    astrodo: indeed, that's what I meant. I am now bumping this thread with proof! I had first solved on this shot: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/22816
    Now. Why doesn't it say "first solved by FedtTony" you may ask. Well, because it didn't go through to FF when I had first solved, but when it was re-uploaded, it did.

Q.E.D