Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2009 edited
    Its not my picture, its akreische's. As he doesnt seem to be active in the forums he wouldnt know that we all have come to an arrangement to add tags to explain its a repost etc.. I would on mine, but as I say, it isnt my image.

I put the huge tags in though, in an effort to stop akreische's efforts being wasted again.

With regards to the comment "You cannot trust everyone with the power to delete, it just isnt working. " that was directed more to the people who deleted the image in the first place. If that hadnt happened then you guys wouldnt be in the position of deciding if its a repost or not. And yes, perhaps it is harsh, but then its also harsh that this guy has done what everyone suggested and deleted the black bars only to have his image vote-deleted again.

Can I make a suggestion to everyone? If you think its a repost, try to actually FIND the supposed first image, or you could be doing it in error. If you click on this guys name you can see its a fixed post, and the first one isnt available anymore, would have taken a few seconds.

No offence was meant to you or anyone else personally LordMyst, but this vote-deleting is getting out of hand.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2009 edited
    @themooch

oke no offence taken

i do agree that the vote deletion is getting out of hand by the way
    It will help if you can only vote for deletion if you solved the movie
    some people vote for deletion even if they don't solve the movie
    how can you be sure for example that is bad quality if you don't know the movie

and it wil help if you can erase your own vote deletion when you make a mistake with the deletion ;)

but the biggest problem of WTM is the sort of movies that are going through to the FF but that's another topic :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009
    hear hear
    and sorry
    •  
      CommentAuthorMuten
    #25782 got killed after bb-votings so i killed the bars and reupped it.
    guess what? exactly! now its #25904 and gets voted for "repost".

I'm so bored of this dren...
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    revoked
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    lol Naut - busy tonight :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMuten
    may I introduce the next silly bb-voter to the audience: http://whatthemovie.com/user/camilapilla camilapilla
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    how are we able to educate those people?
    deduct 1000 bucks for each non-sense vote?
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    That's a great idea naut. Maybe you should make it cost 500 WTM to cast a delete vote, but have it refunded if a shot is voted by 4 others. That way, people will only vote-delete when they are sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMuten
    500 is a bit harsh, but 100 should do it. plus degrading the rank/job in unity with the running-down-wtm-bucks. ;)
  1.  permalink
    If you are on Slashdot you know they have a meta moderation system.
    Moderations are shown and meta moderators can vote "fair / neutral / unfair".

You can become a meta moderator after moderating for a while and have a "good" moderator score (let's say 90% of your moderations are "fair").

you could have novice moderators (given access to delete) where a delete vote only counts as 1 and advanced moderators where a vote counts as 2 or 3 (with a total of, say 10? 15? to get a shot deleted. (the numbers are open for discussion)

What is important is that you don't inform the user about their moderator level. the point is the moderation, not the level.

I realize this would take quits some more thinking and implementing, but perhaps it could work.
    • CommentAuthorchecknorisk
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009 edited
    an idea to discourage unjustified deletion votes:
    give each player only 3 votes (maybe 5...). each time you vote for deletion, you lose one.

-if your vote is justified, the still is cancelled, you got your vote right back.
    -if your vote is not justified, you have to wait till the still enters the movie archive, one month later, to restore your vote rights

if you lose all your vote rights for a month, you get a dunce hat memorabilia (the shit barrel of jarhead will do fine... or the pulp fiction gimp's suit) during your punishment time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2009
    I like the idea mentioned above me. :)
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009
    Hey, we can now remove our own vote-deletes if we want! Thanks Naut.
    • CommentAuthoragonistes
    And the automatic login seems to have been restored, too. :)
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    YESSS ! Thanks guys ! :)
  2.  permalink
    Great news !
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Removing your vote deletes is cool, I wish I could go back in time and remove that weird vote delete, reason "shanghai noon". Doh :)

Cool though I can correct any further stupidity on my part :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Love the new top menu as well, much slicker. I liked the previous one, but did laugh a few times as my friends chased the menu up and down with their mouse :)
    • CommentAuthorchecknorisk
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009 edited
    thanks zythux, ready to found two members club? ;-)

I like the new improvements, good work.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009
    here we go again
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/26392

Can we have an explanation on the FAQ with some example of what should be accepted and what shouldn't be?
    Then we can refer to it, cause it's getting tiring...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMuten
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2009
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/29522
    no black bars an best quality to get on dvd at the moment. seems it doesn't matter. :(
    •  
      CommentAuthorconnectiv
    But there are black bars... alright, they are tiny and can be ignored, but you COULD have taken the time to cut them away..?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMuten
    AR for this movie is 1,66:1 and yes, there are black bars left and right. it doesn't matter to cut them away. they will stay.
    • CommentAuthoragonistes
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2009
    I think connectiv means the black bars on the top and bottom, although they are only 3-4 pixels each, they are there (not that that would be a reason to delete though).
    •  
      CommentAuthorconnectiv
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009
    Sorry for the late reply lol, kinda forgot about this topic. Yes, I meant the ones on the top and bottom. As I said they can be ignored because they're tiny... but they're still there and they could be cut away...
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    I started cutting black bars last month or something (just with paint :D ) and I must say it really looks better. I regret my past non-cut shots. :p
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    I agree with Zythux, just cut away all black bars, It looks better... I have also uploaded some pictures with black bars and they're just ugly.. Now I do like Zythux and that's nice!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2009
    I need to say that I have seen a lot of pictures with black bars lately(just randomly picked from NS):
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/34358
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/34366
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/34380
    Is it just me or should we start vote deletion for those pictures? I think people should use just that 1 minute it takes to get rid of these black bars. Or is just me who is too touchy and sensitive?
    Maybe I think that the upload section should be more explaining about how easy it is to get rid of those black bars and then it really looks better no matter how small those black bars is..
    • CommentAuthoraknilak
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009
    I agree
    •  
      CommentAuthorStarvey
    @ Razzomega

Yeah, you're touchy :)
    • CommentAuthorbazzy3000
    i can live with bars like that easily!
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    Yes I think we shouldn't exagerate with this, little black bars are really not an issue, This was already said in this post! This topic was actually to complain that too many shots were deleted for little tiny black bars, let's not go back there please. Yes it is better not to have any, but if it almost fits and doesn't bother at all, I dont see any reason for deletion
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    I agree with Chrisy, although I will never again upload a shot with black bars, cause I think it looks a lot better without. But if I doubt if I should vote a 7 or 8 for a shot, those black bars can make the difference (still makes barely a difference on the end rating though).
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    Zythux: "although I will never again upload a shot with black bars, cause I think it looks a lot better without."

Yeah thats the way I think, I believe that once you have tried to cut away the black bars, you can't live without it, though it only looks a little bit better. I also think that once you have got a picture deleted for small black bars, then you'll never upload a picture with black bars again and then we educate people.. Maybe it's only me who is silly :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    I thought the problem was that people voted delition for black bars with movies that only had black bars because of the ratio :P!
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Yes Razzomega, the thread started about people voting black bars on 4:3 movies :)

However it was also discussed that small bars are not an issue. IMO the three examples listed are very borderline, perhaps a little too much and I wouldn't be surprised if they got votes to delete. The bars that arent a problem are the 2/3 pixel bars that people used to vote delete, that was too picky :)
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009
    yes sorry you are right, regarding the topic but this was also discussed a lot in the previous pages.
    I'm not too much for voting these for deletion when this is not a rule at the moment, at least it is not indicated clearly anywhere when trying to upload. Not everybody comes to the forum. It just seems to me unfair to delete quality shots just because they have tiny bars that really can be totally ignored
    • CommentAuthoraknilak
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009 edited
    removing black bars take about 30 seconds with paint. evrybody got paint, if someone let those black bars alive, it's either from lazyness, or ignorance.

yes they are tiny, yes they COULD be ignored, but SHOULD they ?!

it looks so better without them ! and reposting them without the bars would take only a few seconds !

so yes, I think we should delete vote them (and be clearer in the upload section).
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    Yeah you are so right aknilak ;D! MisterZob had made a very good tutorial to get rid of the black bars with the program called Photofilte which I prefer to use, I just think that there in the upload section should be a link to that tutorial ( http://siboul.free.fr/wtm/tutoWTM.html ).. It would be so COOL!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    @m00ch: Yeah it would be too much with the VERY Small bordelines, but i think that the pictures that I linked to have too many black pixels on the right and left:)
    Edit: And I can find a lot of pitures in FF which have black bars like the worst of my example!
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    i agree with razzomega, the link for the tutorial should be put up at the uploading site
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    It is :)
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the link in the upload section seems to be the "WHY remove black bars":
    http://siboul.free.fr/wtm/red-index.html

I think the "HOW remove black bars" would be better :
    http://siboul.free.fr/wtm/tutoWTM.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    You're right MisterZob I believe:), can't see it myself atm.. Because if I 3 uploads up :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    Or both the WHY and HOW ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    I dont know, people obviously arent reading the "why", so they probably wouldn't read the "how" either. Lets face it the people who care do it anyway, and the people who dont, get vote deletes until they do care :) If they even read the "why" it wouldn't be an issue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    Well, it would be easy to say when vote-deleting: check the 'How to remove black bars tutorial' on the upload page.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Will see if naut can add it. In the meantime perhaps give this tinyurl, fairly easy to remember

tinyurl.com/howtobb

("blackbars" and other easier aliases were already taken :/ )
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    Actually the "HOW link" includes a summary of the "WHY link". ;)
    This "HOW link" basically lists most of what you need to know in order to make and upload good shots. At least I tried to make it so.

Maybe the automatic deletion notification could also include a comment such as : "Looks like your shot did not match our standards. Check this link so that your next upload won't get deleted." ?

EDIT : that's close to Zythux's suggestion