Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009 edited
    I especially love his collaborations with Tim Burton. He's also a nice person. I recommend watching his appearance at "Inside the Actor's Studio" ( http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=51F723D78F33F8CD&search_query=inside+the+actors+studio+johnny+depp )
    But I can assure you all I won't continue this little series. Just wanted to drive you crazy :D
  1.  permalink
    Need help on this shot! http://whatthemovie.com/shot/22919

Is it a blockbuster? I don't know. It only scores 7.7, so it might aswell be a well known movie...

D@|\/||\|, I'm such a n00b :( :( :(
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009
    Part of the name is already in the shot ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    hint diedenfreek - Johnny Depp ISNT in this one :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    just google warner bros logo buttons..........
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    To get the thread back on track, wanted to update you guys now you convinced me to get my uploads back to films I personally enjoy.

My well known, guilty pleasure movie went through (no surprise there) http://whatthemovie.com/shot/22822
    My really difficult, pretty rare, and as yet unresolved film probably wont make it http://whatthemovie.com/shot/22821

But I managed to get one through! http://whatthemovie.com/shot/22820 . A seemingly tough shot, and only 2 people have got it, but it got through. This has restored my faith in the upload process somewhat, so I thank you guys for convincing me to upload MY great movies, not just what the masses want. Was really nice to see this kind of still go through. I think this process though proves that well known movies have got so much more chance of getting through, but I do believe now it is actually WORTH uploading lesser known movies, and I will be making an effort to do this from now on. So thanks :)
  2.  permalink
    Oh, those buttons. Damn, it's too hard. thise 150+ people must be cheating!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    I know I'm not here for a long time but I already get sad, I think none of my 3 shots I uploaded recently is gonna make it. I know I can't be objective, but I really think they are good.
    It's kind of depressing, seeing simple headshots getting though and in my opinion better ones not (and I'm not just talking about my shots) I have seen some really nice shots that didn't make it. I know everyone has a different taste but I was wondering: did someone of you ever think about the fact, that it is possible, that some people who uploaded a shot rate another, good one, low on purpose, just to make sure their shot gets through?
    I don't want to say that everyone is doing that(and I don't think you guys here in the forum do so)... please don't get me wrong, it's just weird sometimes, to see a shot with a high ranking an then suddenly falling down in the ranking.
    And you rarely ever see a shot with 8 or more. And I know that I don't say something new, if I say that most of the time "boring" shots get high ranking if it's a well known movie, an easy to solve shot, a popular actor(Johnny Depp of course) ;) etc.

Well, however... just my thoughts and my next upload is gonna be a test... just to see what happens. So I will change my "strategies" from my personal opinion of a good shot to the common one over in the game (but just for the test) ;)
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    @Phoenix
    Yes you are totally right, I'm also sure many people rate that way and I think we all agree that something needs to change in this process. But Dont forget there are also some people (at this stage: the admins) who push through about 10 or 15 shots a day even if they are not too well rated and wouldn't have made it through otherwise. I'm stunned to see some of my very easy shots latelly going through with almost a 8, I like them, they look nice but they are easy so it so much less rewarding than if a less known movie go through, and I also feel very desapointed to see mine and others shots not going through (not even mentionning that my score could be much higher because most of the movies I solve are not going to the next stage lol). But I will repeat, play as you like, dont follow the mass if it is not what you would normally do. Eventually if I was only posting easy shots, I would become bored so I will keep on posting other things too... Let's wait for Naut, he said he had some ideas for us which hopefully might ease our furstrations...
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009
    Chrisy, you are right. Thanks for those supporting words. =)
    So... Instead of trying to find a shot others might like I decided to upload a shot that honors my nickname ;)
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/23092
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    @ Deviant . . . LOL . . I just saw that all 3 of your Depp shots made it to FF . . that's fricking hilarious . . .
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    zeitgeist baby, zeitgeist... :)
    • CommentAuthorbap2008
    LOL. somehow this one http://whatthemovie.com/shot/22940 made it to FF.
    - rather unknown movie ( 2 solves )
    - no famous actors ( in that particular shot )
    - no explosions
    - no gore
    - no boobies

;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    @siren34
    ^^ I laughed so hard when I noticed that :D
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    not even my pic of moonwalker went through (the bunny head)

Michael Jackson RIP
  3.  permalink
    @bap2008 : Noooo! A glitch in the matrix!! Run, run while you can!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009 edited
    I think I can top that bap2008 -

- rather unknown movie ( 2 solves )
    - no explosions
    - no gore
    - no boobies
    - no Depp
    - BLACK AND WHITE
    - NOT WIDESCREEN
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/22820

What were you people thinking letting this crap through! I demand you all vote-delete as bad quality immediately!!! *

*actually please dont :)
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    well done! It is a nice shot btw
  4.  permalink
    easy just post a star wars shot, it will be accepted 100%

:-/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009
    - Upload a series of shots that have something in common

My Johnny Depp series worked, and my Red Apple series is getting high ratings now, too. I think this is good, because it's actually more fun to do this, than just uploading random shots of random movies :D

This night I had this idea that WTM could do a little contest once in a while, where a color, an object or whatever is given and users can win a special memorabilia for the best shot. What do you think?
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    think it is a great idea!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    Deviant, that is an awesome idea.
    This really should be done. I'd love to see the different interpretations of the uploaders to the specific themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    We could actually start it ourselves on the forum here . . there just wouldn't be a prize yet . . but we could pick a date and time frame maybe to post according to a theme . . . very cool idea Deviant . . .
    • CommentAuthorKIni
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009
    Let me contribute something to the new submissions discussion - I´m a bit clueless what to do as only one of the five or so posts from me have made it to ff, which is frustrating but no big problem. Strange thing that this was the one with the worst rating... Whatever, I´ve thought about the rating system and about what I learned about representativity of polls (that system here is nothing but a one-item-10-score-likert-scale-poll) and I think this rating system has some problems that are inherent:

- people tend to rate a snapshot higher because they gain the point when it proceeds to ff and vice versa.
    - people tend to rate as much movies as possible due to the memorabila section, so movies are rated "somehow" just to get the points. That´s neither representative for the shots that proceed nor fair for tricky ones. For those people eye-cathers are surely rated higher, like said before: tits, blood, johnny depp (jack nicholson also works!)
    - the rating has actually nothing to do with the quality of the shot considering what wtm should be: i´ve seen tons of good shots but they are only good. They are not tricky, they are not game, they are no challenge and many can be solved without having seen the movie (which, though, says much about the photography of the movie). That´s not all, that I expect from wtm. But that´s too often criteria for getting to ff.
    - in a situation of contest, as everyone wants to get his shot to ff, it´s obvious that contestant shots are rated down to get his own shots throgh. I don´t think that I rate this way conscious but it´s obvious to be done.
    - Aprox. 80% of all movies are rated between 4.5 and 6.5. More or less are very rare - the time I write this, from about 164 new submissions, only 25 (how much percent are this exactly?) are rated above or below (3/4 of them below which shows latend envy?). That´s the result of nearly every voting (poll-takers would cry!) when you ask to many people acting under too similar circumstances with no clear ond to less criteria. Many scientific researches would tend not to give a fuck about the results, as they´re not very meaningful: what I want to say is that the criteria you vote for are not only unclear, they are somewhat conflictive. In the most competitive topics you have obvious rules for classification, here you don´t.

I´m not sure what to do better, perhaps a small poll for each movie with 3 - 5 criteria that are clear. I really don´t want to slag the whole thing, I still have much fun and spend too much time with it - but considering what shots have been rejected (not only from me) I´m quite clueless what I can contribute without being totally conditional on luck. I´m still convinced of the idea of a group of moderators that have the last word.