Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009
    What should be done regarding short movies?
    For instance http://whatthemovie.com/shot/22998
    Or Un chien andalou for instance which was already posted before...
    I'm a big fan of short movies too but so far my understanding was that we shouldn't post them....
    Can we post some if they have been played in theaters?
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    I was under the impression if they have had a theatrical release then its OK, but I could be wrong. Did the chien andalou shot get through? I remember seeing it (wasnt it THAT scene? :) ).

i think the same goes for documentaries too, Ive seen shots from supersize me, inconvenient truth etc.. So i assume if a piece of film has had a theatrical release its OK.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009 edited
    For documentaries, I knew it was ok but for the shorts, I just wanted to bring to the attention that hundreds (if not thousands) of shorts are showed theatrically via festivals... every year... so where is the limit? And there are shorts like the Pixar ones which are showed before each Pixar movies and many others which won prices and are very good, The shorts from jan Kounen or David Lynch for instance, they are quite famous but we need some guidance I think on what can or cannot be posted....
    For Un chien andalou, I dont know if the recent one posted went through but there is one in the archive already.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    For now, it seems it's NO for shorts and YES(*) for documentaries (* : if released in theaters).
    See FAQ : http://forum.whatthemovie.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=17&page=1#Item_21
    • CommentAuthorFedtTony
    hmm, I don't really think shorts should be allowed, there's simply too many of them. But in the case of extremly well known shorts like Un chien andalou I think people are willing to make an exception.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    ok but I think the rule should be the same for all of them then
    This one should not be allowed http://whatthemovie.com/shot/22998
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    ah, but it is a movie that I loved from my childhood. Won an Oscar too......
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    Ok but in that case there are more that could be posted, every year there are shorts that win oscars or prizes at the Cannes festival! I could post many more, also famous.... so if we say NO to shorts, then it should be for all, otherwise we allow them...
    •  
      CommentAuthorleitner1403
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010 edited
    Why are short movies not allowed? Are they considered to be less known?
    Because then it would be really unfair

For example, #66537 (just for the record: this is a fantastic shot. congrats, shayah!) is from a movie that doesn't even have an IMDB rating, nor any discussions on it's IMDB site. It doesn't have a rotten tomatoes entry and you don't even find it on wikipedia. (no, neither on the french one). In a nutshell this movie is hardly known. The shot managed 19 solves and that's not, because it's a difficult shot, but because nobody has seen that movie. (And I don't mind that. It's a great shot and should be here. )

On the other side there are short movies like "An Andalusian dog", just for example, or "The red balloon" who have their safe place in movie history and which are known by really many people. Still they are not allowed. You can't post wonderful snapshots that also would easily get a fair amount of solves.

Just as a suggestion: What's about allowing short movies that have a certain amount of votes on their imdb site??
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2010 edited
    oke so Animatrix is allowed now
    I don't agree with this one
    3 of the 6 shorts on the DVD were in the cinema before the matrix movies
    like the pixar shorts
    if there is a bundle dvd with pixar shorts are they also allowed then? were is the limit in this?

but the mods and the creators made the decision to accept Animatrix
    so accept this
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2010
    We have decided to allow Animatrix because it has had a theatrical release in various countries around the world, AND the shorts are kinda supposed to be watched together. Basically the same reason why Fantasia is allowed, or Destricted or stuff like that. The various chapters may have been distributed as shorts somewhere, sometime, but as a whole (which contains all chapters) it is no longer a short and has had a theatrical release.