Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009 edited
    As I mentioned in the "Uploading Strategies" Thread, I had this idea of a little contest with given themes or objects that should be in the uploaded shots, like I recently uploaded only shots with Red Apple cigarettes in it, or my infamous Johnny Depp series ;). And siren34 suggested that we could do it ourselves here in the forum. Actually that would be cool. So how about discussing the details here. When do we start? How do we organize it? And what should be our first theme?

My suggestions:
    - We start in two days, so everyone can be sure to have an open uploading-slot
    - We have 24 hours to upload a shot
    - Everyone can only upload ONE or TWO shots to participate on each contest
    - Every attendee should tag their shots with "contest1" on the first contest, "contest2" on the second and so on. That way it is easier to find them (I learned that from Twitter ;) ).
    - Our first object of desire could be an alarm clock

Any other suggestions?

-edit-
    Poll for choosing our first theme: http://poll.pollcode.com/TDt
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009
    Yes great idea, but this shouldn't be done too often, like once or twice a month or something, it will make it more fun in my opinion. Maybe some color themes as well...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    That's true. Once a month should be enough I think.
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    I love this idea!

Theme suggestions:
    -cocacola
    -nazi smoking a cigarette
    -new york city skyline (or any other city)
    -Same scene, different movie - Either same footage in two movies (e.g. http://whatthemovie.com/shot/10170 and http://whatthemovie.com/shot/10170 ) or recreation of a scene (e.g. http://whatthemovie.com/shot/8442 and http://whatthemovie.com/shot/9178 )
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    I think we should use a tag like "forum contest 1". This will bring more traffic to the forum which will help increase the flow of ideas here. I think the more people that come to the forum the better the site is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    I like the Coca Cola one! But maybe we should include Pepsi, too, so that we have more movies to pick from.

----
    Good idea about mentioning the forum in the tags. I think many people don't even know that WTM has a forum^^
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    I am in for this !! So 2 days from now 7/4/09 we post 1 shot with "Alarm Clock" or even just "Clocks" as the theme to open it up a little . . .

Great idea to tag the shot also . . . this would be a great monthly or maybe bi-monthly project . . maybe also keeping it on the same dates each month . . .
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    Maybe we can do it on the 1st of every month in the future?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    Veeeeeery coooool ;)
    Theme suggestions:
    - rain
    - fire(but no explosion!)
    - earth( not the planet, more like plants groing out of it or whatever)
    - air (so we have all four elements, like someone flying, a wind breeze and so on) ;)
    - interesting shadows (this is wide open from an interesting shadow drop on a wall for example till faces half in shadow and so on)
    - eyes

I'm full of ideas so from time to time I'll post more ideas. Don't want to make the choices too hard by posting them all now ;)

I like the idea of the coke thing, the alarm clock, the skyline and the same scene theme.
    Maybe we should collect all the ideas and then Deviant makes a poll, since it's his idea, and then place 1 is going to be the first theme, place 2 the second and so on?

EDIT: good idea siren, to take the alarm clock theme just for warming up in two days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    I'm not sure how to do polls in here, maybe this handles itself by looking at the discussions. Like we already agreed on the clock theme and the CocaCola/Pepsi theme. I like your shadows and elements idea, too.

We could continue posting ideas here and I will open another discussion tomorrow with every detail about our first contest.

Question: How do we handle the different time zones?
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    I think a poll would more appropriate, to be honnest I like all the ideas except the clock one, simply because I normally hate these alarm clock shots which all look the same lol :)

Edit: please NO JOHNNY DEPP theme please :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    Okay so how can I start a poll?

-edit-
    No Johnny Depp, that is for sure :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    lol I would kill myself if there would be a Johnny Depp theme ;)
    I really like him as an actor, but he is presented here just waaaay tooo much ;)

OK my bad Deviant... I have to say, I saw polls do exist here, but I can't find a point where you can start a poll. Maybe they don't have this function anymore in here. My apologies. So then we just collect the ideas where we all agreed with and you may choose which one is first, second and so on (if everyone else is ok with that) ;)

The time zones question is a good question, and I have no idea how we can deal with it honestly. Maybe instead of 24 hours we could say 30 hours or 32... this should give everyone the time to upload a shot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    @Chrisy It should be "Clocks" as the general theme to open it up to more creative shots that can fit the theme . . i think making it too myopic or focused my make the shots kind of boring . . .

@astrododo I agree it should be the first of the month . . or the 1st and the 15th if we want to do it twice a month . . .

We could actually do an actor theme, but it should have the stipulation that the actors face not be shown in the still . . . could still be fun . . . :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    @Phoenix the clock idea was actually Deviant's idea . . :)

The time zones shouldn't really be a huge factor . . I mean we can be lenient with the submission times being that this is all kind of informal anyway . . .

I really like the idea of promoting the forum in the tags . . I had no idea the forums were here for the longest time . . .
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    If we can't do a poll here, you can create one at snappoll.com (or another if you like it better, this was just first in google).

I think we should wait a little longer for more suggestions, then include the best ones in a poll.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    + for booby themes.

OK im joking. I love this idea and will definitely participate
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    @siren34: Well, I had alarm clocks. I think you earn a little credit there ;)

As there seems to be no way to start a poll in the forum I googled a little bit and found pollcode.com. So I started a poll there with all the ideas which were posted yet: http://poll.pollcode.com/TDt

Maybe we can do it that way until someone finds a better solution.

-edit-
    Thanks astrododo, I will check out snappoll.com, too :)
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    @Deviant
    Your poll is working fine - like I said, snappoll was just the first result on google, I've never used it before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    I really hope Naut etc. will promote something like this, great idea.
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    Perhaps there should also be an award given to whomever solves the most of them. This would be a way of including non-forum dwellers that don't know about the contest until after the upload deadline.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    @astrododo:
    Good idea, but impossible to manage. There is no way we can check who solved which shot (except for the first solvers) and it would be to much work anyways.
    But we should keep this in mind for the future. Maybe this contest thing will be a new feature of WTM3 ? :) That way the system can handle stuff like that easily.
  1.  permalink
    So we're good on "shadows" ? When do we have to start uploading?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    @theoffice911:
    4th of July.
    Yes, it seems to be shadows now. That's a cool one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    Ok and tag will be "forum contest 1" or "forum contest shadows"? So we mention the theme also =)
    I'm really looking forward. This will be cool ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    i suggest the tag would be forum contest shadow. And maybe (as a control) the number of pictures everyone has uploaded (like contest upload nr 1 and contest upload nr 2)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2009
    we need to settle on a definite tag so everyone is typing *exactly* the same thing, or searches will not work.

So, if the theme is shadows, is this open to interpretation. Or is it just pictures of shadows? If the still is mostly black shadow with a couple of area of light highlights on faces etc.. is this OK?

And how do we decide a winner - the picture with the highest score by x date/time?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    I like it best to be open to interpretation a little . . . a still where shadows are featured or prominent in the frame . . . :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2009 edited
    Free interpretation of course. Whatever comes in your mind ;)

I'm thinking about how much time we should give the shots to be rated. They must go to Future Films at least, so we can search for the tags. That would be good anyways, because then I only have to check the best ones.

What about one week? That should be enough time I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    Sounds like a plan . . . :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorholynoise
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2009
    A little theme suggestion for further contests: Product placement
  2.  permalink
    Product placement is a cool idea :)
    *grabs James Bond movies*

I recently found out House on haunted hill is from 1959 And I hope people know then first Ocean's eleven isn't with George Clooney. So my suggestion is to find as many "originals" as possible and go for it!