Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2009 edited
    WARNING. Long post ahead. Continue if equipped with enough cookies. I heard someone gives them away for free.

Well, naut is back! studies are over for this term. I'm almost ready to rumble again :)
    There has been quite some talk in these halls over the last month since we introduced WTM 2.0
    Thanks for all your positive and constructive feedback. We are dependant on user feedback to make the WTM experience even better.

I have followed the discussion and the main problem we're having right now seems to be that many shots (considered good by some people) don't make it to FF films.

Here is a list of all proposals of LePaposaure's "New Submissions adjustments" thread along with my comment:

P (proposal) > Hiding voting-stars to off-set recent popularity of bad-rating;
    A (answer) > This, I don't understand, please explain ;)

P > Admins having the final word with deletions ...
    A > Good idea. Put on ToDo.

P > Possibility for the shots that don't go through to go in some kind of "Hall of shame" ..... I have for instance added some that I really liked to my favorites, they didn't go through, I have no way to find out which movie it was or even who posted it to ask.
    A > A "Hall of Shame" sounds good, but it would make WTM too fat. There were many shots in WTM 1, which we didn't accept and I didn't cry a single tear and there are loads of mediocre shots in WTM 2 that don’t make it to FF films. It’s like getting rid of old stuff on your attic. You have to do it every once in a while or you’re apartment will explode.

We do however have a solution for this. More down below.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2009
    P > shots in the "waiting to be judged" section should be invisible to wtm players, and their time countdown (48 hours) should be stopped so that moderators can take their time for the decisions.
    A > Good idea. If moderators decide the shot is appropriate, it will be transferred immediately. Otherwise, it will be deleted.

P > …. Have a much larger percentage of stills to go through to Feature Films.
    A > I’ll come to that later on

P > The requirements for reaching the feature section should be drastically lowered. I'd suggest an average score of 5+ stars.
    A > Would result in a flash flood of Feature Films (no thanks)

P > Uploaders should be required to add at least 2 appropriate tags to their shot.
    A > I don’t see the necessity for this additional burden since almost all snapshots are more or less properly tagged in New Submission (tagging is another topic on the list of problems, but I won’t discuss it in this thread)

P > .. If the number of uploaders increases, eventually you will have to increase the number of shots …
    A > We’re thinking about that, but as Zanapher has already pointed out, we don’t want WTM to be flooded with tons of snapshots. Quality before quantity.

P > Maybe there should be an upload limit. 30 shots/day for exemple and only 20 would make it. This would decrease the number of rejected shots...
    A > Come first, upload first? I don’t think that’s a good idea..

P > Hide uploader's name while snapshot is still in new submissions. This would prevent from high rankig your friends or the respected members of WTM you do not want to upset. Keep in mind we should only vote for the awesomeness of the snapshot.
    A > I don’t think there are tons of people which give their friend’s shots a high rating.. If we don’t display the uploader’s name, people won’t be able to get in touch with them, which is a huge drawback in my opinion.

P > Have a rank that can go up (like actual one)... but also down ….. WTM Bucks you earned 30 days ago are lost …..
    A > Again, I think if we actually did this, a majority of people would be pissed. We “invented” the bucks thing to indicate the time a person has spent with WTM. We also intended to make a counterpart to the 30 days Hall of Fame, where you have to work constantly, to rise up or stay on top.

P > I think it would be nice, if it was easier to see the commentary to each picture or just simply make it visible in the top seeing the number of shouts to the shot there have been. Right now you need to scroll down to the very bottom of the site to see commentarys and that's sad!
    A > Yeah, good idea. Put on ToDo.

P > maybe don't have people solve shots in new submissions. Just let 'em rate the shots.
    A > That would result in additional “work” for each user: Voting on stills in New Submissions… going to FF films and solve the same stills there >> people will be angry

P > I'd like it if an uploader gets an idea WHY his upload was rejected.
    A > tliff is already working on email notifications. You will be notified, if you’re shot didn’t make it to FF films along with the shouts (if there were any).
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    On an unrelated note, tliff and me have met Zanapher and Nimmy (our French moderator front) for the first time a couple of days ago and we discussed all things WTM :) which was great. Thanks again for that!

Now, I’ll try to sum up our very own proposal which might fix things a little.
    I leave it open for discussion :)

The main problem has already been pointed out numerous times:

> A lot of people give shots they were able to solve a high rating

> As a result, WTM2 will get easier. Basically, we intended to make WTM2 easier, but only to a certain degree. There should be a good balance between easy, medium and hard snapshots. Over the course of the last month, I tried to balance things out by myself (I transferred about 15 shots/day myself: B&W ones, hard ones, even unsolved ones ;) but that should not become a habit, since we obviously tried to give the power to the people with WTM 2.
    So, what can we do? We need a second mechanism (besides the voting thing) to get medium and hard snapshots from the New Submissions to Feature Films. The trick will be not to allow all 15.000 players access to this system, only some handful of people.
    We don’t want to select these people based on their activity in the forum or their feature film solves and we certainly don’t want to select them randomly. Instead of creating a new group, we’ll take an already existing one, with the fitting name “WTM supporters”. A lot of people will sigh now, but let me explain first and justify later.

We came up with the idea of “Protect Tokens”. Every supporter get’s 3 tokens per day, which will replenish up to 3 once a day. You can decide if you spend all the tokens on one movie or if you divide them among two or three. Based on the amount of tokens (just like with the votes) the ones with the most tokens will be transferred. Concerning the amount, we thought of an equilibrium between tokens and votes. We’ll start with 20 snapshots each. That makes a total of 40 snapshots per day. In order to give !every! player the opportunity to spend tokens and to give players which have shown a great dedication to the site, we’ll also award tokens based on the set rank. The amount is not final yet, we have thought of 1 token every 8.000 movie bucks.
    A lot of people will think that this is the end of the classic WTM: “they’re giving super-powers to people with money”. The money thing has indeed been the downfall of quite some sites, but I think (and hope) we’re different. Let me explain:

> You don’t necessarily have to be a supporter to gain tokens.
    > Every player (whether supporter or not) is still able to play 100% of the game. There are no limitations. As the title suggest “supporters” help to sustain a steady flow of great snapshots.
    > Money is necessary. If you’d think that we’re making millions with site, I can prove you wrong. As of now, we’re short 400,- Euros (mostly due to our recent server upgrade). The google ads are worth shit, and we’re planning on removing them. Amazon does a little better, but as you might not have guessed the most money comes from you guys! A lot of people donated during WTM1 and since the launch of V2 already 15 people joined the supporters (They’re the ones with the black tag in their autograph picture).

Since a lot of people in the forum seem to be of the same opinion when it comes to “good” snapshots, why not post the snapshot here and use the joint effort to transfer it with combined token-power.

Tliff and me have already discussed this matter with Zanapher and Nimmy and we’re on the same page but we will leave it open for discussion. There is nothing final yet. Tell us what you think.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    The day before yesterday tliff had a great idea concerning the disappointment involved with the fact that your shots are not accepted. All of your rejected snapshots will go straight to a personal gallery at your profile page. Accessible and solvable for everyone. They just don’t give Feature Film points. And since we have never deleted any of the snapshots, every single one (since we introduced WTM2) will be there.
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    Thanks for the update naut. Keep up the good work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    So far so good . . . :)

Those look like some well thought out solutions . . . very cool . . .
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    To explain this:
    P (proposal) > Hiding voting-stars to off-set recent popularity of bad-rating;
    A (answer) > This, I don't understand, please explain ;)

I think the idea is that, if the actual median score of the votes is invisible in the New Submissions area then people would be less likely to "follow the heard" and be swayed by other people's votes. Hopefully this would make for a more honest individual assessment of the actual still . . .
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    I think it is necessary for users to have the ability to protect good shots, but I feel like you're making things overly complicated with the tokens. You were very smart in the way you set up WTM 2.0, and made it so that the regular users would have high ranks which let them protect snapshots. However, we are still in the transition phase, as nobody can become and Executive Producer (rank required to protect shots) until November (@ 300 WTM Bucks per day).

While your token idea may be necessary now to protect more good shots and lighten your workload, I question whether it should continue once a fair number of regular users become Executive Producers.

On a side note, it's nice to see supporters getting recognition, though I didn't expect it. While I understand your trepidation about money corrupting the site, it is honestly not very much to become a supporter, and I'm surprised more people haven't contributed.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    Thanks for the explanation siren34, that might be a good idea. We should try it.

@ astrododo
    The reason why we put the executive producer's special ability so "far away" is that we're not a 100% sure about this feature.
    We apparently can't allow every executive producer to transfer shots how they like. There will always be some kind of fixed amount.

Please don't cite the FAQ, I've written them myself :) there is nothing final, never, ever!
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    @naut
    Thanks for the response. I see what you mean about EP's having too much power. Hopefully, the token system will work out. Either way, I'm glad to know that nothing is final because it means we can always expect WTM to adapt and become better.

I would be interested to know about the distribution of votes for the majority of shots. Most shots end up with a score between 4.0 and 6.0. Is this because of a large number of people voting 5.0, or a bimodal distribution of lovers (10) and haters (1), or is it usually a gaussian distribution?

Thanks for all your time, I'm glad you're done with your studies for now.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    The last idea is great Naut: at least having the ones deleted still available would be nice

For the rest, the proposal scares me a little, when money comes in the picture, there is always a risk that the all concept start to change too much... would these tokens allow you to protect your own shots? If so, I dont find this process very fair! Also, you say that even without giving money you can get some tokens: 1 token each 8000 movie bucks as I understood... that's like 1 each month if you are a heavy player (I take my self as an example, it took me a month to become a boom operator...)
    I think the proposal is interesting but maybe there should be some transparency on who actually protects which shots and these tokens should not be used to protect your own shots

Also, there were some other things discussed in other threads, such as reducing the number of shots posted from one movie: this has been (for me at least) one of the most anowing thing latelly, we can sometimes see the same movie over and over. I think 2 or 3 from the same movie each month would be enough and that way it will also force people to search more interesting things and give more chance to less known movies. I understand that this would give indication to the person who attend to upload that there is already 2 shots from this movie but obviously if you just been through the movie to find a shot or if you just watched it, the chance is big that you already solved them.

And another thing: it seems that there is currently a confusion about the 2 shots only uploader from one movie rule. Cause people are doing so when as I understood they shouldn't be allowed. Shouldn't the system block them from doing so?

And last but not least, Naut, thanks for pushing some of the shots latelly, now I know who pushed through some of my rare shots, this is very much appreciated!
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    @astrododo
    Me too, thanks :)

I'm sure tliff could do a little magic and draw a graph with the distribution.
    We have about 300,000 votes right now. Enough for serious feedback.

@Chrisy
    Hehe thanks :)
    Using tokens to protect your own snapshots would result in a direct advantage over uploaders who are no supporters.
    Which is obviously bad. It won't be allowed to protect own snapshots. And I see no problem in revealing the owners of each token (give transparency).
    I've already commented on the 2 snapshots thing in another thread: http://forum.whatthemovie.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=393&page=1#Item_8
    The feature is simply not implemented yet
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    Oh, I forgot to tell you about one more feature:

We're opening the shoutbox in the new submissions for everybody (even if you didn't solve the snapshot).
    There will be an indicator if there are any shouts right at the top (so you don't have to scroll down every time).

The reason for this action is obvious:
    > To give the uploader the possibility to add a short comment explaning his snapshot (like DVD QUALITY!)
    > and to give the discussion about the snapshot (currently taking place in the vote-delete box, which resulted in some unwanted deletions already) proper space.
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    @naut
    One thing that I liked about the shoutbox showing up only to those who solved the movie is being able to discuss aspects of the shot or movie that could be a spoiler to those who haven't solved it. Would it be possible to add a 'spoiler option' to shouts that would only be revealed to those who had solved it?
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    @astrododo
    great idea :)
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    O, yes you edited your post that's why I didn't see it. Good news that it is on its way then :-)
    For the rest, I think it is an interesting proposal!

And yes it would be nice to have more statistics available to give us an idea on how the votes are because for instance I'm pretty sure people change their votes when it comes to the end. It is just strange how lower they get sometimes. Maybe it would be an idea to only allow to vote once

Also having more visibility on who added your shots as a favorite. Maybe getting extra points for a number of favorites, or making more challenging by giving extra points for a new movie added or for been the first one to solve movies....

Anyway, just some thoughts :-)
  1.  permalink
    Thanks Naut for those explanations. And cheers for the end of exams !

First, the Token system is a positive way to protect shots, it looks like a good answer to the other process of deletion-vote, which is connoted negatively, as it is working only to delete shot.
    Of course, tokens shouldn't be used for own shots. About the money factor to gain tokens, I think it could be a good supplementary advertising for necessary donations.

About the commentaries, I think we should have two different parts of text :
    - A short box filled by the uploader, during the upload process (in the forth tab "verify", for example), where the uploader can add a comment, as "DVD quality", "ratio 1.33", "shadow contest" or anything else. It could appear close to the shot itself, near the deletion vote or the time resting at the bottom of the shot-box.
    - Shouts, with spoiler filter, as astro explained it.

Hiding votes during New Submissions process is necessary for me. I realized that a majority of voters are copying the vote behaviour of others (as they are voting down when they see the red button deletion-votes actived...great crowdy behaviours).

At last, I also think it would be great to have more features around favourites and average votes. As I told about here --> http://forum.whatthemovie.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=394&page=1#Item_4 , using bucks and hall of fame, it could be a parralel activity, more social and friendly than the actual cinematographic-knowledge rankings, it could give more visibility for people who don't solve so many shots.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    One question: how do we make sure that the tokens are given to shots which wouldn't go through otherwise with votes?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    Wow, thats a lot you wrote down here naut ;)
    Do you also give cookies? ^^ (never can have enough of those) :D

But back to topic. I've tried not to get involved too much about the discussions on this matter because I'm not long enough here in my opinion to be able to "judge" everything how it deserves. But I've tried to give my point of view as a noob, my impressions I had and so on.
    I like it that you think about how you can make this site better. It shows you care about the users, their thoughts, opinions and needs. =)

I just have one question on this:
    >All of your rejected snapshots will go straight to a personal gallery at your profile page.
    That sounds good, but what about those shots which have been deleted for a good reason like wrong aspect ratio, not taken from DVD, dupe and so on?
    I personally don't think that it's necessary to see those shots. (I'm just talking about those shots where it really WAS the reason, not where some people THOUGHT that it could be, just for example older movies and the quality, those deserve to get shown)
    And last but not least I would like to make a proposal:
    As you all know I'm here for a very short time but I'm already CL (and I didn't rate snapshots all the time just to get Bucks, there are lots of shots I never rated. Honestly I don't even care about my job on the set. I'm playing here because it's simply fun, that's it ;) )
    In my opinion the first 3-4 jobs on the set are too easy to reach... my suggestion is to make the needed Bucks more to earn those jobs, or to give for example the "vote for deletion" not to a CL, give it to a BO and so on. ;) Because otherwise it's no wonder if so many noobs vote on deletion for good shots without even having an idea about the site or movies etc. ;)(I know, I'm a noob myself, but till now I've been very careful with the deletion button, only used it 3 times I think. But there are some who are not so careful with that ;) )... OR (this is my last or ;) ) make it harder, for example just 200 or 150 Bucks per 24 hours you can earn maximum.

Now my text got longer than I wanted, if someone made it through, I think I'll have to follow them00ches footsteps and give you something, but it won't be a cookie... I'll give you a lollipop... just write me a shout on my profile ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    I like the token idea and I agree that the shoutbox should be open to everyone, with spoilers hidden of course. It's also nice to hear you are done with your studies. I also finished studying a few weeks ago and it feels soo good!

@Phoenix:
    > That sounds good, but what about those shots which have been deleted for a good reason like wrong aspect ratio, not taken from DVD, dupe and so on?

Good point. Maybe only shots which didn't make it to FF because of the ratings should be in the personal gallery. Not the ones that got 5 votes.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2009
    About those tokens... Instead of awarding them for wtm bucks, maybe award them for the number of upload someone has that made it through? This way you also "award" people who support WTM by adding cool shots.
    • CommentAuthorhurley19
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2009
    I have an idea on the voting of stills. I don't think you should be able to vote on a still unless you solve it. A lot of the time an uploader submits a still because of how that part in the movie made them feel or because it is artsy or any number of personal reasons. And when you solve the still you can immediately feel the same thing they did. "Hey, I remember that part, that part was funny, or scary, or moving or whatever." The point is when you let someone rate your still without knowing the movie they have a tendency to just base their rating off what they see. Too blurry, not enough going on, etc. I know you are suppose to rate the still based on its "awesomeness" and a lot of times I base it off how that still makes me feel. If I get the sense of the shot and the mood then it promotes me to give it a higher rating. Why wouldn't you? But at the same time, knowing the still also gives you a better reason to critique it or give it a low score because of reasons mentioned before (too blurry, not important, what have you). Instead, we get people who rate every movie to get their 300 bucks a day to rise in the ranks. Then these guys get to determine later on which stills make it through and which ones don't and they didn't even solve half of them! I could be up to Boom Operator or whatever, but i choose to only rate stills off of movies I know. I have made a few rare exceptions to stills I just thought were really good, but I just think it is more fair to rise the ranks that way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2009 edited
    @hurley
    What you say sounds good, but there would be a problem with the more unknown and indie movies and the "harder to solve shots" because then those shots probably wouldn't get enough votes and maybe because of that then wouldn't make it to FF.
    You're right... a lot of the people give stills they know a higher rating and so on...
    But I don't think this would solve the "problem", I think it would just increase the number of better known movies and "easy to solve stills" even more in the FF section.
    • CommentAuthorhurley19
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2009
    You are definitely right about that. A good point indeed.
    • CommentAuthorhurley19
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2009
    This is probably not the right thread for this, but SOMEBODY please tell me why that "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" still didn't make it through to FF. What a great scene!
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2009
    agree!
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2009 edited
    Wow I have been away for a week and all this has happened! :) Just wanted to say Naut that these changes sound great. Im not overly clear on the tokens thing yet but Im sure it will all become clear soon enough.

I think I speak for everyone when I say thank you for listening to all our moans and putting forward some changes, it shows you really do care about the site and the community and it is really appreciated.

EDIT : looks like its encouraging donations too! Can see lots more black tags on my fellow lists :) Good stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSara
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2009
    I've to agree with them00ch here: One week's holiday and so many important things to catch up on ...
    ... and to say that I'm a little surprised there were only 15 supporters as I had the impression that all people I "meet" around the forum or the lounge have their black bars (hehehe, what an ingenious way of showing someone's a wtm supporter, by the way, I've only realised that now).
    And to add that it's great that wtm is "work in progress" where users can state their opinion and admins will patiently listen to them mostly complaining a lot ... and that there are still some "rock cakes" left in that cookie tin over there, help yourself. :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2009
    I also just got back from holidays, so I had some stuff too read :)
    First I have to say I love your post, I totally agree on most points and you even said some things I didn't think about yet (for example the fact you can't contact the uploader when it's hided, you're absolutely right on that point)

For the personal gallery I think it would be nice if you can delete snapshots yourselves. There are movies of which I uploaded 3/4 shots because I thought it deserved to be on the site. Those would really be too much represented on a personal page, especially when you dont have many uploads.

If you're losing money each month with the site I think it's just necessary to give supporters some privileges, because there are always people who will only donate if they get some special options or anything. Still, the privileges the supporters get shouldn't be taking away any fun from everyone who does not pay for the site (but you agree if I read your comments about this subject). The tokenthingy, for this reason, sounds quite good. I think all donators at this moment really care for the site and won't abuse the option to give away tokens.

Well, it must be quite some work to implement all new features you just mentioned, so good luck.