Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009
    Twice the same easy movie on the same day in the FF section (16/07) ?
    Maybe a simple rule could forbid that...
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    I'm getting bored too.
    All those great snapshots, not reaching even 5/10 just because they're in black & white and/or from less known movies... And at the same time: more Harry Potter, more Pirates of the Caribbean, more V for Vendetta, ...
    I hope this token system naut talked about is coming pretty soon.
  1.  permalink
    It's quite boring, I agree, but all these blockbusters shots are as much pics that will not come back in the New Subs ! More place for other movies next weeks !
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    But next week we'll get 5 Watchmen shots a day...
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    LePaposaure, I thought this was true as well, but then I realized that most movies have probably 100+ shots that people will submit. Which means we're not even halfway done with fight club, let alone V for vendetta, harry potter, pirates, etc.

My worry with Naut's new system is that it will help get more cool shots through (which is great), but the large number of boring shots from famous movies will persist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    Well Papo, as I just shouted on your site, your last 2 stills rank high among the easy stills from well known movies. If we would try to keep sending in nice stills which require some thinking, maybe there is enough fun solving them in New Submissions...
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    The game is becoming much easier. Too much easier.
    Back on WTM1, with 60% solved, you were assured to reach the HoF top 10.
    Now, you need more than 66% (that's 2 solves out of every 3 shots) to reach the bottom top 20...
  2.  permalink
    For sure, the shots going to FF are easier to solve.
    And this, only because of the fact that : esay shot have good votes, uneasy shots have medium or low votes.
    That means that a lot of voters are voting down when they can't solve the shot. Why ? Because they want to have a good percentage, so they promote easy shots only to FF, or because they think that if they can't find the title, the shot is not good enough.
    So there is a problem about education (or information) of voters.
    And there are many solutions (already discussed about in several topics). We just need to have one and as fast as possible (limit of shots from a single movie every week would be a good first one - Stop the Bad Boys !!) !

About my last uploads, I know they're coming from famous movies, but as I really love the films and as I found awesome shots of them (my point of view, of course), I posted them.
    I had 4 shots in a row, from fabulous movie ("Devdas", "Je ne suis pas là pour être aimé" "Wassup rockers" and "Les yeux sans visage") that have had only 4-5/10 and didn't make it, so I start to post my "easy bullets".

Only to make pspan angry ! :p
    • CommentAuthorLiquidTV
    If I see another Jim Carrey full close up I'll jump!!!
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    I think people should ask themselves: would this shot be interesting if I didn't know who the actor was?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    @Papo
    i am not angry

"you wouldn't like me when I'm angry"

OK, I know it's a TV quote

I will still try not to post them easy stills with famous actors without any imagination.
  3.  permalink
    oh damn, it was "les yeaux sans visage"...of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009 edited
    I will repost it, pippin, be ready !

And pspan, I'm glad you're not angry ! (I can't imagine how impressive it should be...)
  4.  permalink
    Look what I found,

I took this screenshot the 22nd of December 2008 :

And now 17th of July 2009 :
    • CommentAuthorCW
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009 edited
    It's because I wasn't there in december... ;)
    • CommentAuthoragonistes
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009
    ah, the memories when there weren't that many good solvers around and I still had a chance ^^
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009
    you can take the conclusion from the hall of fame of the month of 22 december 2008 that there were more pictures in the last month then now

1123 photos 58,6 % (2008)
    944 photos 81,23% (now)

more pictures means more variation in movies
    so back then you had more chance to get awesome shots

maybe it's a idea to increase the amount of pictures to get through to the FF

by the way I count 9 people who were in the hall of fame top 20 in 2008 who are also now in the hall of fame top 20

topsolvers are topsolvers :) that will never change :)
  5.  permalink
    I agree with you LordMyst !
    A quick calculation show us that in December, there were 1916 screenshots allowed in one month. And in July we have 1162 screenshots allowed ! We lost amost 800 shots a month : and these 800 stills are uploaded, but not accepted !
    • CommentAuthorbap2008
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009 edited
    If I remember it corrcetly there were so much shots available in december 2008, because due to some technical problems the submission queue was bursting. so the admins flooded WTM 1 with loads of shots. never before and afterwards so many shots were released.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2009 edited
    Another crazy vote : http://whatthemovie.com/shot/25663
    First vote is a... 1/10. And of course he (or she) didn't find the solution.
    I can imagine the voter can't find the title, it's not an easy shot.
    But to vote a 1 for that... There is really a problem of education for a majority of voters.

Edit : Mmmmhh, it's oubviously not the good topic for that type of comment. Wathever, I feel tire..d also.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    I share your furstration LePaposaure, My less known movies almost never go through on votes :-(
    My last shot I have tried this movie already and everytime after a while it gets something like 5. It is a Golden Palm at the Cannes Festival, the shots are original so I dont understand.... it is really tiring and furstrating to see these shots go and I just realize that some movies will simply never make it through. Something needs to change and fast, think if I see the comments on some profiles... etc, lots of people seem to be furstrating and I can understand...
    Someone said a few weeks ago that this had no impact on the game, well it really does, harder shots dont go through so it is easier, and so much less interesting.
    On top of that, for the uploaders, after a while, people will stop playing because what is the fun of it if your shots never make it or only easy stuff?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2009
    I'm with you both, and think about stopping uploading. I see the same faces, the same movies (for .,.',./ sake, the boot-shot from pulp fiction!!!!!!!!!!) and everything interesting I try to do gets low votes........
    Hanging on for now
    • CommentAuthorDiedEnFreek
    My compliments to yet another great still that in my opinion should have made it to the FF: the boy's face close up. Hard, but original and from a well known movie.
    It took me a lot longer to solve than those bloody generic pulp fiction or persepolis stills.

Glad it made it to the FF. I have no clue, but it looks nice.

Also my apologies for my recent uploads.
    You have to keep things simple for the voters to make it to the FF.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    I'm getting so tired of the Persepolis stills. I didn't even watch this movie (yet). At least not in a row, because there seems to be every single frame on wtm. You just need to put them into the right order ;) Enough of that!
  6.  permalink
    you forgot Dr Strangelove.

and now Basic instinct, with that particulary original still...
    • CommentAuthormarisk8
    I agree. I used to submit some lesser known movies and they never get through. Now I'm just going with the flow and submitting blockbusters. Even not obvious scenes from well known movies don't go through. It's really frustrating.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    Come one people ! Don't submit boring snapshots just because they're more likely to go through !!!
    If everyone does this, it will only get worse and worse... :(
    • CommentAuthorDiedEnFreek
    I have to say that there are rare movies / hard stills getting through, but I think we have to thank the admins for that. Still I could do with less PF and more hard puzzles / interesting movies. No problem with easy stills, but make them look really nice :)
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    I dont care if it is blockbuster, just keep it interesting
    en not like the last pulp fiction submission

(SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT, YEAH RIGHT)

http://whatthemovie.com/shot/25631

I agree with the majority here on the forum

no more pulp fiction, persepolis (never seen it, but got all the stills right), bad boys, johnny depp, monty python holy grail, matrix, etc.

we need to do something
    some diehards are already gone => biglebowski, dorisnight, mimimi, hal9000, etc.
    too bad too bad

and now pspan is thinking to quit his uploading

damn man :( :( :(
  7.  permalink
    I've been thinking about stopping to upload, but i'm doing something different.
    I've posted one that didn't go to the FF (the comic with the "help help" astronaut => the moment where he gets the idea to "phone home").
    I got my satisfaction from the few that found it. I at least found it an interesting puzzle.

But now I'm joining the herd. I try to find stills that are terribly easy, but I try to make them look nice. It's a great formula. Up till now the herd, as expected, nicely votes high for my super easy stills (as they do for all well known movies). But in the end there is no fun in that for me. So I also still try to find the nice stills from the lesser known movies. Hooray for those who get them and like them. Sweet is they make it to the FF, but if they don't. Well. It still sucks, but I hope I gave a few people an interesting puzzle :D

Just keep uploading the more interesting stills, even if only a few get through. And let others know you like their rare stills (if you like them of course). They'll like to hear that :)
  8.  permalink
    i totally agree with the majority here. it could be so much fun if there weren´t so many morons around. all the "black bars", "low quality" "i don´t understand the voting system, so i only vote for movies i know" fascist. sorry, but i´m really pissed off!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMuten
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009
    you're welcome.
    • CommentAuthor5killinja
    The good old times: #1 top solver of all time in december ;)
    That was shotly after i passed agonistes. It was a hard fight!
    Some weeks later I got passed too...

Sorry that you got bored from my last shot but I explained it in the shoutbox...
    After all it's still a great HD shot of my favorite scene... Doesn't anbody like this shot in his/her favorite shots selection?
    I know there are too many PF shots, but I waited weeks to upload it only to avoid what still happend: the 'not again' shouts
    It's destiny :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009 edited
    As a test, I uploaded 3 stills, all of very well known mainstream movies. 2 of them I purposefully chose scenes which were interesting but ones that you wouldnt immediately recognise the film (ie a good challenging shot). one of which I made so easy it was obvious everyone that saw the still would instantly know what it is (ie a boring one).

Of course, the boring, obvious one went through with a totally ridiculous score.

8.18 wtf!

EDIT: OK they all went through wtf - I must have checked them at a time of transition because they were all showing "sorry you are not allowed to access the page"

Another Edit : OK Naut saved them after they didnt make it :) Nice one man appreciate it :)
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    Yes, that's exactly what it is... All high score shots are ALL easy! no doubt about that
    • CommentAuthor5killinja
    I like all 3 shots especially the last one, but I really didn't get why you voted against it yourself ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    It was an attempt to stop people like alealeale voting to delete it as bad quality. Yeah its a shame we have to be so defensive, but that is how things are going unfortunately. But thats for another thread.

fake edit: I cant believe you actually took a screengrab of that :) Lots of people have used a vote delete to deter people.

real edit: The point is that the vast majority of stills that are going through are just too easy. The tricky ones, even if they look nice, have difficulty making it.
    • CommentAuthor5killinja
    I got your point, but it was so funny... I laughed out loud
    But you're absolutley right! This shot of mine won't get through either
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/25630

Actually I made more screenshots for threads like this one...

like this shot

Where the hell are the 'black bar' dudes??? ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    I agree there should be some more competitive stills, especially from very well-known movies.

Another example is #25872 . I think it's a great shot, more difficult then most shots of this movie, but it totally makes sense. But because it's more difficult (so less people guess it right) it scores almost a whole point lower then the other stills from this movie.

last upload I had also did not make it to the FF ( ). I also could have chosen the one scene with this animal on the (very famous) main actor's head. It would probably get at least 0.5 higher and make it to the FF, but for me it spoils all fun because people are going to try all movies with him (where I think this shot is even nicer).

It's easy to explain why some shots get higher scores, but it just doesn't seem fair most of the time. The problem is there is no good alternative to get it really well-done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    I uploaded a tough one of a very famous movie: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/25898 Let's see what happens...
    But now I regret that I didn't choose the "real" ratio, but I thought, Who cares, it's black anyways.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    @them00ch,
    unfortunatly, I wasn't there when your shots ran our, otherwise I would have rescued them earlier :)
    @ Zythux,
    dito
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    Save us Naut :)
    Seriously I really notice when you're gone, my shots dont make it anymore lol
    • CommentAuthor5killinja
    my shot got through so was it you too naut?
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/25630
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    I'll be meeting with tliff very soon (he's just too busy at the moment) and we're going to fix the worst problems..
    @ Chrisy, hehe :)
    @ 5killninja, nice shot ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    wow thanks Naut!

I just got a heads up from toffetomas on my profile saying that the shots DID make it and I was giving the answers away. I was all confused, I was sure they said "you are not allowed to access" etc..

Thanks for bringing the stills back to life, and I'm glad I'm not losing my mind hehe
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    @them00ch
    I'm glad naut saved your shots. I just checked, and I had voted 1 on your first and 10 on your last two, even though I didn't know the movies. Unfortunately, most people don't seem to vote like this.
  9.  permalink
    Cool! I liked the shot a lot. Great it was put through manually!
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009
    This is another great one from a well known movie (though not a blockbuster by any means) that looks like it won't go through:
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/25934
  10.  permalink
    After all complaints about obvious shots, I just HAD to post Pulp Fiction.

About 100 managed to find it. Well done to them :D
  11.  permalink
    @ astrododo : <sarcasm> what?! it's not the fly. it's too hard. it sucks! </sarcasm>