Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorCalslaan26
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009
    I thought it would be a good idea if there was a thread where someone could make a request (with a little bit of argumentation) to the admins for approving a shot which hasn't made it the normal way. Because it is less known, or just was amongst 30 other high rated shots (8+) etc.

So that the discussion is central, shoutboxes of admins are little less crowded and to releave a little bit of dissapointment.
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009 edited
    I would like to see shot 25985 (mano.student.utwente.nl/wtm/wtm.png) in the feature films. (I uploaded it, hence the a little bit of dissapointment part above ;) )
    arguments (everthing is imho):
    - It is a shot of a major plot development.
    - It is as far as i know the only shot of this movie and therefore adds to the diversity of wtm.
    - And this movie deserves some more attention, because i think the people how star in it and made it have talent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Hey man, its a good shot.

I cant say I agree with this thread though, once people get wind of it, every single picture that doesnt make it will be posted, requesting an admin push it through, and that will defeat the purpose of the voting completely, as well as annoying Naut, Tliff, etc..

At present, we all have pictures that we are sad didnt make it, (see my thread here http://forum.whatthemovie.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=380 )

We just have to accept that some of our stills, even if they are great, arent going to make it. Its a shame, but some have got to fail :( Occasionally, if an admin decides *themselves* to push a particular still through, then its a bonus, but its certainly not something we should be pestering them for IMO.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    yes, I totally agree with them00ch, I dont think this thread is appropriate. I'm still really desapointed that some of my shots from Kusturica, lynch and co didn't make it through, in my views, they were very good shots but let the admin decide.... This thread would be the door open to too many hassle for the admins, it is already nice that they push some through but they should do this based on their preferences and without any type of pressure...
    Yeah, I know it has a lot of cons this thread; every unresolved or rejected post wil be posted at some point.

But what i see happening at this very moment is also not optimal:
    - There are more threads with dissapointed uploaders requesting approval of there shots. (and this will most likely allways be the case)
    - Shout messages are sent to admins, with requests. (at least this is what I concluded after quickly checking shouts)

People always want to be heared (It could be another random person who could start this thread) and want some form of influence on the system they take part of:
    That's why the whole web 2.0 experience is such a great succes.

This could just be a thread where in short a little argumentation could be giving why that particular shot should be let through, nothing more nothing less. Just let out a little bit of steam.

The admins don't have to feel pressured and could just disagree or ignore the posts in this thread.

But I think this thread could also have a very big pro when the token system is up and running: It could help the users with tokens decide which shot deserves some tokens. Because I can imagine that because it is impossible to know every movie that it would sometimes be hard to decide which shots deserves my tokens and makes it to FF.

P.s.: Don't get me wrong, I accept that shots sometimes don't get through. But from what I see happening at this very moment because of dissapointment, and because I think this will get worse with a growing user base, I think something like this can be benifit the community and the way users experience it in the long run. But off course I could be horribly wrong ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    I kind of agree with m00ch and chrisy. As soon as the thread is well known, it'll be flooded.
    The forum is not the right place for discussions like this one.

We are going to open the snapshot's shoutboxes for exactly this kind of discussion quite soon.
    (+ a spoiler option for each shout)

PS: although I have to say your snapshot is quite cool ;)
    snapshots for movies which we don't have in our library yet should have some kind of bonus..
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    I don't think this thread is a good idea. It might get out of control pretty fast.
    Plus naut has told us that one of the upcoming features will allow uploaders to add a short comment explaning their snapshot.
    I think we should just wait.
    Because, as for me, I don't upload any random shot. I always try to make them nice-looking, relevant and/or funny. Plus I try to submit "forgotten" movies. Even though, Lynch, Bergman, Welles, Wilder got kicked out.
    So, should I come in this thread and beg for all of them to go through ? I don't think so. It's just part of the uploading process, I fear...
    And naut told us about this "token" system too. That *will* help to rescue some shots. Once again, I think we need to wait.

EDIT : my typing is definitively too slow. :)
    We are going to open the snapshot's shoutboxes for exactly this kind of discussion quite soon.
    (+ a spoiler option for each shout)

Nice! That nullifies this thread ;).

P.s. Hmmmm, if i just read the announcements of naut a little bit beter I would never started this thread. My apologies ;)
    • CommentAuthorFedtTony
    edit: never mind, site was bugged for a minute :)
    • CommentAuthorDiedEnFreek
    perhaps current movie-shouts should be marked as spoiler. just to be sure not to open up shouts with spoilers by accident?
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009
    What do you mean by "current movie" ?
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    I think he means that when naut and tliff change it so that users can shout on solved and unsolved shots, that current shouts be protected as spoilers that can only be seen once the movie has been solved.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009 edited
    Sorry but now I don't understand "current shouts".
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    Since I cannot understand what you're both suggesting, here's my suggestion for the new snapshots' shoutbox system :
    - the initial shout from the uploader can be read by anyone
    - anyone can post a shout and see his/her *own* shouts BUT cannot see other shouts unless he/she solved the shot (while the shot is in NS or FF)
    - anyone can see all the shouts when the shot reaches the Archive
    That should be safe enough. What do you think ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    Not "current movies" and not "current shots", it's "current shouts". That means all shouts that already exist, should be marked as spoiler to prevent accidently opening existing spoilers to everyone.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    OK, thanks. Current as existing/previous.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    Deviant: exactly.
    MisterZob: Your proposal is quite safe, probably too safe :) and just seeing your own shouts leeds people talking to themselves, hehe.

We'll add a little checkbox with "spoiler" to the shoutbox and if you check it, your shot will only be seen by people, who have solved the shot, and if you leave it empty, everyone can see your shout.

The only question is, should we check it by default, to prevent unwanted spoilers or leave it empty.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    As tags have already done enough damage in their early days, I would vote for "spoiler on" by default. ;)
    I agree with MisterZob.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    indeed spoiler on default
  1.  permalink
    @ MisterZob : I think your last proposal nicely nails, in an understandable way, what I intended to suggest :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    "spoiler on" by default. [4]

Only one more vote needed! :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorholynoise
    Shanghai Noon
    erm,... "spoiler on" :-D
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    :p

Yeah I can see its going to take a while for me to live that one down. lol.