Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009 edited
    @Chrisy

Maybe one of the previous voters changed his/her grade to a lower one, while you were voting.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009
    Strange that it would be the case for all the ones I just tried but ok...
    • CommentAuthorchecknorisk
    Chrisy is wright,

I tried to do like her on that still http://whatthemovie.com/shot/26922 , before my vote, there was 36 votes for 7.66 (movie I didn't solve)
    I gave a 10, it drops to 7.16 for 37 votes
    I revote a 1, it drops to 6.92 for 37 votes
    I then finally revote a 10, and it stays at 7.16 for 37 votes.

pretty weird. (I mean, revote system works, but the initial vote is not working)

edit: after refreshing the page it shows 7.7 for 37 votes, it seems that only the temporary count is wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    let me just fix something with the shoutbox and then i'll get my trusty abacus
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    well, displaybug
    the rating you saw when you first got on the shot-page was calculated with the old formula

The new formula works by assigning regular votes a weight of 1 and votes by solvers a weight of 3. Then we calculate the weighted average.
  1.  permalink
    What about the vote of the uploader himself ? Weight of 1 or 3 ? I think it shouldn't have any weight, to be totaly fair.

P.S. Great updates !
  2.  permalink
    lots of updating going on :)
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    uploaders are weighted 1
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    I tried to edit my shout and it wouldn't let me. When I click on the submit button after editing, the viewpoint jumps to the top of the page and nothing happens.
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    it should let you now
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    It works, thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Can see you can now also add a description / explanation of the image when uploading, thats a cool feature, will stop people having to use up a vote delete to say "dvd quality" or such.

And now also you can upload a new image from the same film, within the same week, if the first one was deleted / didnt make it to FF.

Thanks tliff, some really great changes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    And we can see the thumbs up/down on our own shouts/reviews etc.. now. Awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    Great updates...

But it could be nice if the shouts with spoilers automatically got visible when solving the shot :)...
  3.  permalink
    Problem : I can't add any title on this movie's page : http://whatthemovie.com/movie/the_last_picture_show
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009
    on our profiles

total ff movies solved and
    total movies solved

are gone
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    nevermind it's somewhere else on the profile
  4.  permalink
    question about votes weight : does the weight automaticaly change if the vote is given before having solved the shot and if the voter find the title then ?
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    @LePaosaure
    yes it is
    • CommentAuthorLiquidTV
    "votes on shots by people who solved the shot count more"

hmm i thought a lot of you were complaining about the overflow of easy shots?
    doesn't this make it worse?
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    we assume it wont change the rating of the easy shots very much at all but it counters the fact that a lot of people vote low on harder shots
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009 edited
    I don't think we have that much a problem of being swamped with easy ones. The problem lies with losing too many hard ones.
    Remember, it's not the amount of votes, it's the result.

It'll never be perfect, but finding the right balance could be a tricky job.

@tliff: we kinda thought the same way here ;)
    • CommentAuthorLiquidTV
    Ah! That sounds like a good reason, yeah.
    Didn't think of it that way.
    I always hated to see those tough shots disappear for just being rare & tough.
    Hope it works out.

And cheers btw: it's great fun :)
  5.  permalink
    I Love the WTM Observer !!
    Great idea !
    By the way, I realize that the space all around the shots is not used. Perhabs could we have the shouts of players just near the shot, and not under ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    I think the space should not be cluttered. I like it just the way it is now.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009 edited
    tanx! finally a way to reach people outside of the forum.

and the space around the snapshot isn't availiable either.
    Remember, remember ... the guys who surf with 1024 x 768.
    You wouldn't believe it, but more than 50% are still using this resolution (based on our own statistics).
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009
    I can't add add alternative titles any more (from any movie page). Is it only me ?
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009
    It is not possible to click on the names on top of the shouts of the profiles. At least for me, it was quite handy to reply to shouts
    Or is it only me?
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Works ok here Chrisy.. using mozilla.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    strange, I also use Mozilla, it was fine until today... now i can't click on them :(
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009
    I think we've got some new moderators too

congratulations to deviant, chrisy and them00ch
    • CommentAuthorevariste
    What's the difference between blue and red moderators?
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    I think blue are moderators
    red are the creators of wtm
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    That's right.

And thanks :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Thanks also. I accept bribes by Paypal.
    • CommentAuthorbazzy3000
    now that's good to know since i'm loaded ;) and people.. buy some glasses and change your resolution too the max! (at least 50% of you!)
    • CommentAuthorevariste
    So what moderators can do exactly? What skills do they have? You know, like nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills...
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    grats new mods :) I'm sure you'll do fine (Now I know where you were talking about on Irc :p)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    I second the congrats to deviant, chrisy and them00ch . . . very cool . . :)
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBarto
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009
    I like the new updates. especially that movies where you requested the solution no longer show up with a green bar :)

Also, the spelling error tolerance is a nice feature, however is it really intended that when you're supposed to enter "Predator 2", "predator" is accepted as correct? I think that's just a side-effect of the new feature.
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    it's a side effect we have to live with
    if you see a predator, most people will try both films anyway (and avp...)
    • CommentAuthoraknilak
    the tolerance is a great idea, but for the "2" it's a bit too strong maybe. (for the moment, it's a 2 letters different tolerance I think)

Is it possible to make this tolerance only for the words longer than x letters (maybe 3?) or will it be a too heavy burden for the servers ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorconnectiv
    I think it's even a good side effect, because with some stills, you know "oh, that's lord of the rings / star wars / pirates of the caribbean", but don't remember what part exactly - and especially with closeups of the main actors you can't always tell which part the still is from. So it just saves you a little time without really giving anything away, cause anybody would be able to to try all 3 (or however many) parts.
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009 edited
    I like very much the new improvements, specially having acces to rejected snapshots through the player's profile, less sadness in the future, it's really a good job. and because perfection is just keeping doing good job day after day, here are the future improvements i'm dreaming on...

I think that those rejected snapshots should appear when you try to upload a picture from the movie.

with more categories like today, it could be more clear to show the categorie you're visiting above the snapshot (or on the page), something like this:

now playing WHAT THE MOVIE
    new Submissions

or:
    now playing WHAT THE MOVIE
    rejected snapshots

when you visit the rejected snapshots from a player, if you solve one, it says that you get a point. I suppose it's not true...

I already told it once, (or twice...) but I submit it again: it could be nice to allow players vote to give a rejected snapshot a second chance the same way we vote for deletion.
    it could save place on servers by avoiding to upload the same picture later. and a second chance requires not only the original uploader's will but also 4 other players.

sorry for repeating things, if it's boring, don't read it... else, consider it as a repost
    • CommentAuthoraknilak
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009
    I agree for the second chance thing (5 vote to go to FF, with the approval of mod of course)
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    I'm not sure it's such a good idea to give (so few) players such a power.
    We may end up flooded under more Johnny Depp/Harry Potter/whatever "resurrected" shots...
    I think it's better to go through the whole process again : if you want to give a shot of yours another chance, just delete it from your rejected shots (otherwise it'll be really easy to guess if it's more than 30 days old) and upload it again.
  6.  permalink
    well, I do think that it might be an idea to let the stills with an x number of solves (say, at least 50 or 100...) from new submissions go through to FF...
    MisterZob said: "We may end up flooded under more Johnny Depp/Harry Potter/whatever "resurrected" shots..."

wake up, those picture don't need to be resurrected, they're all in the FF ;-) I think the risk is to be flooded by obscure shots from rare movies nobody knows, ad nauseam...

@diedenfreek: the shots that needs help are rarely solved 50 or 100 times, rather 5 to 20
    • CommentAuthoraknilak
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009
    well why not add a WTM buck cost (and minimum rank) to the vote for resurection ? it will prevent abusive vote, combined with modo last words, it should be enough to prevent the jony depp / harry poter / pirates of the something / batman (yeah I said it before) / whatever boring shot.