Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009 edited
    We already talked a little about it here : http://forum.whatthemovie.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=330
    but, judging from some recent uploads, I think it's worth having this discussion again.

To me, Dupes and Reposts are 2 different things :
    - Dupes are snapshots that are already in the Movie Archive or among the Feature Films or AT THE SAME TIME in the New Submissions section. 2nd snapshot should be deleted.
    - Reposts are just snapshots that were in the New Submissions section, a while ago, but didn't reach the Feature Films section. I think it's no big deal if they are re-submitted.

If you don't like Reposts, just give them a 1/10. But I think they shouldn't be voted for deletion.
    Sometimes, those shots just didn't make it because grades were too high that day. For instance, today, I've seen a shot with an average of 7.28/10 disappear because TODAY it wasn't good enough...
    Don't you think such shots deserve a 2nd chance ?

Of course, if the original shot was deleted (meaning voted for deletion, which is different from just not making it to the FF) and if it's uploaded again without any improvement, it should be deleted again. But it wouldn't be deleted on account of being a repost, just because it's a bad shot (again).

What do you think ?
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009
    today a shot of my with a 6,8 (the shovel through the face)
    didn't got through

but I'm not going to repost it
    • CommentAuthorchecknorisk
    You're right Misterzob, and a lot of shots deserve a second chance.
    trouble is, for ordinary players, there is no difference between a shot that was deleted and a shot that didnt' reach the FF since they both disapeared.
    I think that shots that didn't make it to the FF should be sent to a category called "recycle bin", where we obviously can't play there for points, but we could vote to give a second chance to the shots the same way we vote for deletion in other categories.
    I mean 5 votes for second chance, and the shot go back to the new submission again.

and why not sending deleted pics to a "trash can" category, where the solution is proposed...
    •  
      CommentAuthorconnectiv
    Ok I basically just started uploading, but today one of my shots with 7.22 got deleted too. Surprised me, cause I thought 7.22 was quite good, I don't think I'll re-post it though. I will however post other screenshots from that movie until at least one gets accepted, because there are none in the database yet :)
  1.  permalink
    Words of wisdom, MrZob !

And if someone delete a shot for "Dupe", it would be nice to give the link of the primary shot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    Since the rating by solvers count more, there are a lot more 7+ ratings now. Hard times for good shots and I wouldn't mind if they got a second chance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorconnectiv
    Well, maybe just don't re-post the shot after one day... why not wait two weeks or three... not as many people will remember having seen that screenshot before.
    • CommentAuthorKIni
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009
    Yeah, perhaps I slowly can try some of my old shots that didn´t make it. I agree that every shot has deserved a second chance or a second failure. I don´t think a recycle category is necessary, such things are solved by themselves.
    I only can image that perhaps some shots are not rated for their awesomeness anymore but i.e. rated down for "boring, already seen, not again" - which´s not fair again but give it a try and after all: it´s just a game, isn´t it?
  2.  permalink
    I don't have a problem with it if a still that was good, but didn't make it now is resubmitted in a month or so.
    I will vote for it as normal, but it's a feeling thing. If it's reposted, I don't want to get the feeling of "pal, it was rejected two days ago, why are you reposting it alread? swallow the loss and move on with your life. you'll find more stills and there surely will be one that will be accepted. don't desperately try to push this one still through.", but rather "hey, that was a while ago. I'm surprised it didn't make it, nice to see it again!"

and yes, I realise this is very subjective :)
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009 edited
    I think a recycle category could have many advantages,
    -the uploader didn't need to repost his shot, the players who loved the shot give it a second chance, and original uploader is still credited. as well as all the solvers inculding the first one.
    -it could be a usefull warning to uploaders saying: "this shot has been uploaded allready, and was rejected" if the player choose to upload it again, he knows it maybe won't make it to the FF.
    -you see a movie, and suddenly you say "yeah, that's a WTM shot... let's make a point !" but you never find the shot again, maybe it was deleted, or badly tagged. with a recycle section, you recover you sleep, caus' you can see it was rejected.
    -finally it makes you humble facing all those failures, you know that many people had the same idea long time before you knew the movie exists...
    • CommentAuthorbazzy3000
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009
    will consider not pressing the vote for deletion button... but as one of you mentioned... give it a little rest.. wait a couple of weeks before trying again...
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2009
    Well, the new Rejected Snapshots section, on everyone's profile, is basically killing the whole 2nd chance idea.
    I visited a few profiles, randomly, and it looks like I can ask for the solution of any rejected shot. Which means it's useless posting it again.
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    @MisterZob
    we're chanung that right now.
    If a shot is rejected you can't request the solution for 30 days. Also you can delete your rejected shot at anytime you want. So you can protect your titles
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    Thanks, tliff ! :)
  3.  permalink
    I am pretty confident that this is a dupe but I can't find the other one since I don't know what movie it is.
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/31855
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009
    maybe a repost
  4.  permalink
    It might be. I'm just sure I've seen it before on the site.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009
    I think it is a repost, yes.
    And with regard to the discussion, I'd like to add the difference between a bad quality shot that didn't make it through, and reposted in better quality, and just reposting the same file. The first one is a good thing, but the second thing kinda bores me. And ofcourse, if it's a month later and somebody didn't realise that that shot was posted before, then there is absolutely no problem, but sometimes I see shots appearing again two days later, by the same person, and I think those practices should be discouraged.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009
    Seconded Asmodai. A few times lately I have seen a film fail to make FF, and then its instantly back at the beginning of NS. No real way to police that, but to vote low ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuschko
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009 edited
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/31855 is my shot ... but I havn't upload it before ... I've in mind that this was for some time on WTM ... but not in the FF and not to find over tags ... and because I have only this weak memory that I've seen it on WTM ... I posted my own shot of this scene
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009 edited
    I' pretty sure I've seen the almost same picture long time before WTM2.0, but I guess you would have seen it in the upload section. unfortunatly, I didn't solve it now, I just can't control my remembering.

if we think it's a dupe, but nobody finds the original pic, then it's not really a dupe...
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    I am absolutely sure #31855 ( http://whatthemovie.com/shot/31855 ) was posted on WTM 1.0 around September 2008. The same holds for #31915 ( http://whatthemovie.com/shot/31915 ), this shot was also posted about a year ago. I remember since I was really happy finally solving those two shots. However, they seem to have disappeared from the database. It happened on a few shots lately, that I was certain it was a dupe but when searching in the archive I didn't find them. Obviously, there is a pic-eating creature hiding somewhere in the archive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    I agree with fungus. I solved both 31855 and 31915 in the past, and clearly remembet that. But the shots are no longer in the database. At least, i can't find them
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    there were some problems with the transfer from wtm 1.0 to wtm 2.0
    for example all the prestige photos were also gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2009
    Please delete my shot 33631 . . it is a dupe of 30014 . . I didn't see it before it was pointed out to me . . .
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuschko
    i think it's a dupe http://whatthemovie.com/shot/33416# ... see shouts
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
  5.  permalink
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2009
    Yes, it is a repost. But it's ok (and no dupe), because yours did not make it to the FF.
  6.  permalink
    too bad, mine was better quality I think...

thanks for the answer
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    Not at all. Don't know what it is, but looks like completely different movies to me! Look at the bottle.
    Also the angle is different anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Same movie, different shot. Should be allowed I guess. The new one is a much better shot too IMO. We must be running out of possible shots of bottles from this movie, they must have all been submitted now :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorholynoise
    in addition: if I mind the story right the bottles also contain two totally different thinks and are quite different by themselves.