Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.  permalink
    hi everyone,

I write this post because i am very disappointed by the way people rate shots. And my point only concern people who didnt solve the shot.
    To my opinion the only thing you can rate if you didnt solve the shot is the image quality.

A few days ago i posted this shot:
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/29155
    And yes the quality is bad so i deserve a bad rating.

But in the last week i posted
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/28967
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/28966

Those 2 shots were solved by only 12 and 13. They got 67 votes and a mean rating of less than 6 .... They are both 720p quality so i think we can say we cant do s much better with that size.

Even worse, in the last 2 days i posted
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/29306
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/29304
    Those 2 shots were solved only once each and with 45 votes and 37 votes, the first one is below 5 and the other just at 6. Their quality is quite perfect if you have seen the film !!!

I just dont understand how people can judge any else than quality on those pictures... There is no sex, no blood, nothing chocking!
    And the quality is almost perfect...

I kind of feel depressed and am really wondering if i should keep on uploading pictures.

Or may be i should upload pictures from indiana jones or blade runner. For sure those would go to feature film.

I am sorry to insist one again on that but please the true rating power should go to people actually KNOWING the movie.

Martin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009 edited
    > but please the true rating power should go to people actually KNOWING the movie.

It is. Ratings by people who know the movie get more power.

But I understand your frustration. It seems that less solves mean less stars, because many people rate shots in a very strange way. Some a**holes even rate every single shot with 1 star (if it's not their own?). That makes me really angry.

---
    And of course, that's what we moderators do: Trying to find those underrated shots and approve them manually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009 edited
    I can already see that the moderators have been kind to one of your shots :) You have been uploading some great shots so far and please don't stop. Some people who just don't know the movie may find the shots boring and therefore rating low if nothing extraordinary is in it. Unknown movies may have a hard time but thats what we have moderators for. I can see that you're also a supporter and therefore you can use your Awesome upload thing, to upload many nice shots :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009
    They are all good quality picture, farfromrefuge. No arguements there :)

I think the trick is to try and offer viewers something a bit interesting even if they dont know the film. Dirty dishes just arent that interesting :) unless you know the film perhaps.

I love the manatee shot though, and that watch shot is good, it even has a clue for people who dont know the film. I think we have all been through phases of "what am I doing wrong!?". You arent doing anything wrong and you upload very good quality pictures. Sometimes certain shots just dont make it. Dont be disheartened, and keep uploading :)
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009
    @ farfromrefuge

I think you should read (again ?) this post from Papo : http://forum.whatthemovie.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=334&page=1
    It looks like most of your shots are story related (what Papo calls "point in the film"). And like he wrote, those shots are "the most difficult shots, cause if people haven't seen the movie, they will surely vote down".
    I thought your shot with the necklace and the cup was really good... because it's important, story-wise. But since it's not a famous movie, not many people have seen it. And for those who haven't seen it, it's just some dishes and a necklace (that most people probably won't notice). So it was actually predictable that it would get low grades.

Something else : your post seems a bit confusing about what you call "quality".
    To me, we should judge submitted shots from 2 angles :
    - Quality -> Is it a good quality JPG/PNG file ? If it's distorted, if it has black bars, if it's loaded with JPG compression artefacts, it's low quality. It should be voted for deletion.
    - Awesomeness -> Do I like the shot ? Do I find it good looking, intriguing, funny ? Yes ! I'll give it a high grade. I think it's boring, too easy ? I give it a low grade.
    Taking you shots from a 720p source won't make them more awesome. The only thing you can be sure of is that they won't be deleted for low quality.
  2.  permalink
    @Deviant
    Sorry i didnt know it was already there, that is something we dont really see from the user part and i dont remember seeing a "changelog" on that.

@Razzomega
    Oh i didnt see about one of my shots that was first rejected.... So thanks to the moderators.

@Razzomega, @them00ch, @MisterZob

I now understand your point about one "quality" aspect for people not knowing the movie. It s true that it might not look as funny as one guy looking through another's butt ;) But what bugs me is that if they dont find it funny they automatically low rate it!
    I mean that giving an excellent note(and i mean a 10 or a 9) to a movie you dont know which shot is good quality, and very funny or beautiful or intriguing to you, that i understand!
    But giving a very low rating to a shot you dont know, which has good "picture quality", just because there is nothing special to you, i really don't understand!
    How can you say that a shot you didnt solve is too easy? if it was that easy you would have solved it. I think you are true on the "boring" part. For me a shot is boring if it looks too much like others or uses the same tricks. But i see my last ratings and i dont think my shots were boring at all. How often do you see a sea lion in a shot ? :P

I mean personally i usually don't rate shots i don't know, except when there are about to disappear and very few people found it. If it is the case i only judge the image, and some aspect like "could there be something that would make me solve it if i had seen or if i knew the movie".
    But i won't ever rate a shot under 4 if it is very good "picture quality", it s like saying to the uploader dont upload that shot again even if i have seen it !

I am sorry but it just disappoints me.
    I am very thankful to the moderators who make everything they can to help us. I also know that i have awesome uploads, but i dont want to use them so easily.
    I am not the kind of uploader who will try to upload a shot again if it didnt make it through.

And i will be very sad if some of last shots doesnt make it through, not because their are my shots, but because the movie they represent wont make it into WTM!
    I should have chosen big explosions, blood or guns :P
    At least now we have the rejected section in every user's profile, so i hope some people will keep on trying to solve them.

And by the way, everything i am saying here is not to get any help from the moderators, i really dont want that at all, it wouldnt make me want to upload more...

I think that we need a real section, like "feature films", that regroup all rejected shots(maybe not the one deleted as it usually means bad quality or not suitable)so that you dont have to look for the user first. I dont know every user and it would be an hours killer to look through all users.

thanks to all of you for answering. I dont like the way ratings works but i really like the WTM community!
    • CommentAuthorShayah
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009
    I got the same problem than you farfromrefuge. Last exemple with one of my submissions: this shot http://whatthemovie.com/shot/29249 was posted a few seconds/minutes after this one http://whatthemovie.com/shot/29248 , it was next in the New Submissions section. My shot got a better rating but didn't make it, and the other get selected... really curious to me :-)
    It's a bit frustrating of course, but no big deal. I will continue to have fun uploading stills from movies that are not represented on WTM, even if it's harder ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    They both would have been rejected shayah, but one was put through by a moderator.
    • CommentAuthorShayah
    Thanks them00ch, that's what I thought. And I already got a few ones helped by moderators, that's why I say it's not a big deal and I won't stop uploading for this reason. But that's true it is sometimes frustrating to see lower rated shots go through when yours get a 7 or so...
    I thought mods could add a mention when they push a shot to the FF, but actually I'm not sure it's a good idea, because some people will ask "why my shot was rejected and not this other one, mine was at least as good", etc...
    I see that I can't solve most of the shots put through by mods, and they never get many solves indeed, so I guess they must be interesting ones ;-)
    • CommentAuthorCW
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2009
    I try to uplaod 13 shots... Only 2 are in the FF (and one was probably save by a moderator). All from DVD, of course. And I ask a question to myself : Is it people who vote my shots down because i'm in the HoF ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2009
    I think people hardly look at the HoF. I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with it. Most shots you upload don't seem to have many solves and it's a fact that shots with more solves (normally) get higher ratings. I think that's the main reason together with some bad luck. #29428 for example has a very high rating for being rejected.

You should check out ren's and RDPL55's profile pages for example. They both upload many shots from mostly old and unknown movies. So quality (despite of DVD) and solves are not nearly as high as recent blockbusters. Therefore they will never get the rating they deserve (thanks to the moderators we still see quite some of their shots in FF).
    • CommentAuthorglau
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009
    Since my last shots where rejected, I tried to put most criterions in one shot. In this one http://whatthemovie.com/shot/30543 :
    - I like the aspect (of course it's subjective)
    - it's a crucial point of the film, but
    - you can actually solve it without knowing anything of the film.
    - quality is not a problem to me (top-right is a little blurry)
    - it was rated 6.2

So what went wrong?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBarto
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009
    If you check out the New Submissions, there is a direct relation between the ratio of number of solves to votes received. I noticed that if the number of solves is greater than the number of votes your shot is most likely going through to FF.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009 edited
    3 reasons:

- It's black&white (for some reason those shots have lower ratings in general)
    - only 6 solves (more solves = higher rating)
    - no Johnny Depp/boobs/explosions

I approved it now manually, because I like it.
  3.  permalink
    I approve your manual approvement, because the first solver is a nice guy.