Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2009
    I uploaded a still of a Madagascar yesterday, and it turned out to be a dupe.
    I rechecked the shots of this movie page (in the upload section), and the shot of wich i posted a dupe doesn't show.
    I think this is strange, because the original still does have a link to the correct movie page.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2009
    If it doesn't show it is because the shot has been posted less than a month ago. As you know you only get the answer a month after a shot was posted. This is why it doesn't appear on the movie page, otherwise it would give the answer away ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthortleilax
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2009 edited
    What just came to my mind:

Since you've most probably seen the movie you want to upload a shot from, it would be a great help if not only the shots from the movie archive would be shown during the upload process but also the shots from the feature films which I solved. This way nothing would be given away and the chance for a shot being a dupe should be reduced.
  1.  permalink
    and if you've not seen the movie, it could be a good way to make easy points ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorholynoise
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2009
    Not really since tleilax's proposal is to only show the shots you have already solved in addition to the shots in archive.
  2.  permalink
    sorry, wrote it too quickly :/
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuschko
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2009 edited
    I've also another suggestion. When no upload slots are available for the movie you want to upload, there could be a notice for how long this slot will be busy.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    @Buschko, I dont think this would be a good idea. If you haven't solved the shot (and it can happen with hard shots) you could easily go exactly that day, find the shot and solve it
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuschko
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2009 edited
    ok ... but now you can also go through 7 days ... but with the exact day it's easier to find that's right ... then maybe also with the exception that the user have solved the shot ... because thats more comfortable than go through all the shots to find out how long to wait or to try some times per day ... also because you first have to type the captcha and then get the information ...
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    The captcha is there for that reason exactly. To make sure some people don't just write a script who tries the full imdb-list and sees from which movies a shot was uploaded in the last 7 days.
    • CommentAuthornazario9
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2009
    I agree with buschko, i've got 4 or 5 shots without free slots actually, and each day, I've got to try them in the upload section with the captcha, it's long and boring. I've got no solution but I wanted to inform the team about it. Anywway WTM is great ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMaaike
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2009 edited
    edit: please consider this comment deleted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2009
    @ maaike, you can't delete the comment, only edit it
    • CommentAuthorSneaker
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2009
    Maybe it's an idea that when one still is uploaded from a movie, to stop the upload slots for that movie with the message "Sorry someone uploaded a still for this movie. Please wait .. days. " This prevents dupes (which happend to my shot), confusion and people who haven't solved the shots won't get easy points.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    "Please wait .. days."

to say wait x days is telling someone exactly what day the previous shot was posted, making it even easier for people/bots to get solves. Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying.

Are you saying that you shouldnt be able to post another still from that movie until the shot is in the archives? ie a month?
    • CommentAuthorSneaker
    "Are you saying that you shouldnt be able to post another still from that movie until the shot is in the archives? ie a month? "

That is exactly what I mean. I don't know how people or bots can get solves this way. Apart from people looking for the shot, but with +/- 20/30 uploads a day, it will be difficult unless they have watched the movie and already know the screen. But it would solve the dupes problem and the confusion why a pic have been rejected while we double checked during uploading the image.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2009 edited
    @sneaker : But if the message says "wait 15 days", then you know the shot has been FF for 15 days. You use the overview to show all images on that date, and you can easily find and solve the picture. From there, dishonest players with a bit of scripting knowledge could automate the process for every film on imdb.

At the moment the dupes thing is policed by the community, and I think it works pretty well. I dont think we should only be able to post 1/shot/film/month, the current 1 shot/film/week works just right.

tleilax's solution is the most elegant, but has a large flaw - if you have already solved the shot, you would know it had already been uploaded and wouldn't be uploading a dupe in the first place :)

TLDR: The current solution is the best way to handle it. Its not perfect but it works pretty well for 99% of the cases.
    • CommentAuthorSneaker
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2009
    That's what I said ;). But I think it won't be that big of a problem because you have to use the dvd to make a screenshot, upload it, to find out (after filling in the text) that an image has been uploaded x days before you. You go to day x and from the 20/30 shots the one who wanted to upload a shot has already seen the movie and immediately recognise the shot. So that won't be a problem. I don't know about dishonest players with scripting knowledge. Do people really do that? Maybe adding a short captcha to the movieshot page? Or maybe do a 1/shot/film/month but instead of days just saying that a shot has been uploaded this month. The dishonest players have to work through 31 days of 20/30 shot each.

But this were just some ideas. I was pretty confused (as a starting uploader) when I suddenly saw my shot removed and scruffy saying it's a dupe while I was absolutely sure that it wasn't uploaded before. Maybe it's an idea to add some text explaining this in the upload screen. Or when uploading a shot telling the uploader that a shot has been uploaded this month so check for dupes in FF.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    I have written a shout on http://whatthemovie.com/shot/39061
    It seems to be in contradiction with the rules explained here. If an administrator could clarify a little bit the confusion.
    Thanx
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    I think the counter starts when the shot is uploaded in new submissions. So after 47 hours NS and 121 hours in FF (total of 168 hours = 7 days), the new shot can be uploaded.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    zythux has it exactly right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    It's not the same movie too? Thinks that's a good reason too xD
    • CommentAuthorSneaker
    But it's also a different movie (original - remake). Or does that count as one movie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    lol, did not see that, so they even could be uploaded at the same time :p
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Yes. I didn't notice that. I thought the older one was the fascinating good recent remake as it was only the awfull pitiful old remake...
    Thanks to the new parsing rules that allow for example to type only "Harry Potter" for any movie of the series :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2009 edited
    Yeah, I wish there would be the same possibilities with james bond number xx :D