Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010
    "Even boobs don't go through :)"
    So my overkill series of boobs worked! :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    you should get a memorabillia for your service to the community asmodai :P
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    A boob-memorabilium? :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    perhaps:P
  1.  permalink
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/59638

Rejected at 8.02! Is that a record? :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuschko
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2010
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/59600

thats my new personal record ... 7.98 + fav
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/57553 7,98 now, but 8,05 at the time of rejection...
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010
    This one is going to break a record : http://whatthemovie.com/shot/61370
    rated 8.10 and rejected in a few minutes...
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    well, all shots from this movie, and the books, should be banned ;-)
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    It;s accepted:) and I donn;t know the movie
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    you know the movie and it was accepted by a mod ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    well, any movie with >>>400 solves and a castle or monster or magician is from this movie.....
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    Still have no clue:)
    Movie may be on my harddisk along with 50 other movies I still have to watch...
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010 edited
    well, there's like [spoiler!] of these movies.....
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    This is not the "give-hints-to-solve-easy-shots-topic", people ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    sorry about that as
    • CommentAuthorrevani
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2010 edited
    wow here i was thinking 7.90 or higher would get through without question.. just got a 7.98 rejected =O ( http://whatthemovie.com/shot/61606 )
    meh.. sucks
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2010 edited
    Damn I'm surprised, I had a shot with 5 fav, and then it still got rejected:P, that was unexpected :P http://whatthemovie.com/shot/63376

Edit: Thanks for pushing it through, it now has 6 fav second edit: 8 fav
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2010
    its through now
  2.  permalink
    Plenty of pushing going on in that shot...
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregov
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2010 edited
    I also had a shot with 5 fav's :P http://whatthemovie.com/shot/63413
  3.  permalink
    Lots of good snapshots rejected latelies =/ I'd only like to know what's in people's mind when they rate a snapshot. What makes a good one? Originality? Balance in colours/shadows? Sometimes it feels like some people just wanna rate low everything o.o it wasn't so hard seeing a snapshot with rate 8.00 or up a while ago, and now they kinda vanished...
    • CommentAuthorramses
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2010
    Yep SunsetWalker, I noticed the same.

Few days or weeks ago a shot had to have 8.xx just to have a chance to make it into FF - back then a 8.19 of mine didn't make it :P. Sometimes there have been >9 shots with ratings higher than 8 among the films with less than 24h hours left in NS... now you barley see any shot rated 8 or higher at all. I think it' changed when people had to rate a shot to see its rating.

First I didn't like it, but with some days passed, I think it's good that ratings are "grounded" again.
  4.  permalink
    Look I don't know about the voting system anymore. There is plenty of good shots who are rejected with more that 7. And I don't count the very nice shots I see with very low ratings who don't make it through. It's kind of a job to upload a shot. Why not a thumbs up and down button for 24 hours instead of the ratings? Then a final pass by the admin? Huh? Is this a good idea?
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2010 edited
    @ Palahniuk007

Score being over 7 is irrelevant, its the relative score that counts, ie how you compare against other shots in the set time period.

And the thumbs up/thumbs down wont work I'm afraid. The main problem is the amount of shots that get uploaded. In order to keep the game manageable we can only let a certain amount of shots go through per day. This will stay the same no matter what selection process is used, so there will still be disappointment. I have a few friends who like to play WTM casually, but they are often overwhelmed at the amount of shots to check every time they visit, so increasing the amount of shots that go through is a negative thing in my eyes. And leaving it all up to an admin or moderator to decide every shots is definitely a bad thing, we get enough complaints at the moment at our choices of shots to put through :)

I think most people realise that sometimes, shots don't make it through no fault of our own, there is an element of luck (ie how you compare to other players uploads at the time). Its the nature of the beast. Some good shots fail, some boring shots pass through with high votes. Everyone who uploads a shot thinks their shot deserves to go to FF, or they wouldnt upload them.

As long as the structure of the game means that not all shots go through, there will always be disappointment. But it makes it extra satisfying when your shot does go through :)
  5.  permalink
    @ them00ch. Thank you for your very precise answer. I do understand the mathematics now! ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010
    Maybe the solution is Malthusianist: reduce the uploads to 1 per 48 hours for regular users and 2 per 48 hours for supporters. Then it will be possible to reduce the number of accepted shot (I think also that 100 per day is too much. 60 would be much easyier to handle) and increase the rate of acceptation.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010
    efji: yeah, binding the uploads to time will probably be the next step to handle growth
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2010
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/67577

too bad for this one
    I really thought this one was a funny one :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2010
    I'm little bit in shock, thought a snapshot with 5 favorites and some nice comments where a "winner" to go through to FF, but no (only 1 solve too):
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/68458
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2010
    its gone through
  6.  permalink
    One of my last 6 rejected snapshots was at 7.4, and 4 were at 7.6 or higher. Kinda gets on your nerves, it seems less annoying somehow when they're rejected at a proper shitty rating. :p
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2010
    I'm sorry to complain again in this thread, but I'm just in shock that one of my shots with 8 fav and a fine score got rejected: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/70388
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2010
    I wouldn't dwell on the fact that it had 8 favourites. It's a sad statement, but shots with tits in get lots of favourites, regardless of the shot itself (not referring to your shot specifically, just a general observation).
  7.  permalink
    I'm gonna stand by Razzomega on this. I don't think that tits had much to do with it, I'm a girl and I rated it 9.0, thought it was a truly beautiful snapshot, not pure sexual content intended. And if there's any criteria besides the rating itself, 8 faves should do just fine showing people liked it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010
    SunsetWalker : There's no need to "stand by" anyone. I think you misunderstand me. I made no comment about Razzomega's shot at all. Yeah it was a nice shot, no arguments there.

All I was saying is tits = favourites. Have a look through other shots with nudity and you will see what I mean. I guess there are a lot of young lads that play WTM :) Most other shots that are 8+ don't have that many favourites ;)

And I must stress this, because I think some people forget, the only reason ANY shot gets rejected, is that the community didn't vote it high enough - it's an automated system. If a shot gets rejected, its because the image didn't score well against others, it's automated.
  8.  permalink
    By saying that I just meant I was as shocked as him =P sorry, my english is not as good as it could be. Thing is: though there's the automatic aceeptance system with Scruffy, there's more than one way for people to show they like something or not, such as favouriting and shouting on snapshots, right? So one of the parameters didn't go through, but I really thought it would be passed by some mean. It didn't get a really low rating (it's at 7.56 now). But yeah, guess you're right about those many guys faving tits, though I'm not here so long to notice that myself. I wasn't angry or anything with the statement, just...well, a bit disapointed, I guess. Don't get me wrong =) and thanks for answering.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010
    Agree with your both in many ways and normally I do not myself like shots with nudity not even really much my own shot, almost all good shots from that movie was just pictures of nude girls:P! I think most people love or hate shots with nudity/gore in them :)... I just thought that it was a record that a shot with 8 favorites didn't go through... that's really all.:)
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2010
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/72059

I really liked this one
    but too bad
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010 edited
    Since I was really really bored on this rainy thursday and maybe a little frustrated of alot of shots being rejected, I plotted the number of solves against the rating given to all of my uploaded shots, rejected and accepted. I excluded Awesome Uploads since they only got like 20 votes so that ain't a trustful rating.

As you can see all of my shots solved >500 times have made it, though 2 of them were rated <7,5
    It is not a definite rule, but there seems some kind of link between number of solves (easyness of the shot) and the rating they get.

On a side note, the average rating for all shots went down after you couldn't see the rating anymore before you've voted yourself. Not a problem but I noticed it:)

Well maybe I can start doing some useful...
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010
    Very interesting.
    I noticed a couple of things on my own shots :
    1/ The rating increases significantly once the shot is accepted (most of the time pushed).
    2/ All my "easy" shots made it
    3/ Usually the night has a bad effect on the rating of my NS shots : the rating is quite lower in the morning. Maybe an "oversea's" effect on my "european-BW-arty-non mainstream" shots :)
    4/ The rating after 10 or 15 votes is usually a good indication of the final rating, although high initially rated shots finish with lower ratings, and low initially rated shot finish higher.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    "3/ Usually the night has a bad effect on the rating of my NS shots : the rating is quite lower in the morning. Maybe an "oversea's" effect on my "european-BW-arty-non mainstream" shots :)"

ha ha ha Efji, I came up with the exact same conclusion :)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Nice plot, rulo. I will do the same thing later tonight :)
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    @Asmodai thanks;)
    my initially boring rainy day has turned into a productive (read: seen 2 movies and made a nice plot) day:)

Would be interesting to let a computer run such an analysis.

Maybe I should watch and capture just movies with Johnny Depp:D
    • CommentAuthordekolta
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010 edited
    Well you have to pay attention that when it is accepted it gets more solves as then it is in Feature Films. So to get a fair result you have to look at the solves and rating after the 48 hours in New Submissions. That's almost what efji says at his first point, but the other way around.
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    Good thinking, hadn't thought about that:)
    • CommentAuthordekolta
    Well, I actually noticed when I uploaded a shot with really awesome surroundings. It's getting accepted. Most of the time shots of just an actor are boring. You should post stills (shots) that are really interesting to you and not see it as a snapshot that has to be solved (or not has to be solved, if you look at it that way).

What I mean is that if you think in a movie: 'what a great shot!'; that's the shot you need to upload!

My MI:3 shot is in archive, so I think it's no problem I share it here: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/44409
    I liked the ambiance in the scene very much, and it got accepted fairly easy, with almost no solves up to that point.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai

These are all my shots since january 1st. Gave it a logarithmic scale for number of ratings, because otherwise some high-solved shots would pull it out of perspective.
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    too....much....statistics.... :(
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2010
    It is not a definite rule, but there seems some kind of link between number of solves (easyness of the shot) and the rating they get
    1/ The rating increases significantly once the shot is accepted
    2/ All my "easy" shots made it
    3/ Usually the night has a bad effect on the rating of my NS shots : the rating is quite lower in the morning

I have to agree, I came up with the same conclusions ^^