Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorCotp
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009
    I thought of a contest that might be interesting: the directors in their own movies... I see a few Hitchcocks have been posted but there are many more... it could be cameos only (Spielberg, Kubrick...) or open if you want to include Woody Allen, Jerry Lewis, Orson Welles etc... directors that play in their own movies...
    Could also be open to directors in other people films (example Spielberg in Truffaut)

What do you think ?

Thought of another idea that would be the first shot of a movie (not including the logo)... could also open to the last shot... ;)

Cotp (in good shape today ;) )
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Good idea but it may be too easy :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorCotp
    hitchcock are not that easy, in France we have Cedric Klapish who appears in his films. I remember some Kubrick appearence in Eyes Wide Shut...

Or then again if we take all Woody Allen movies, could be intersting don't you think ?

Cotp
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    The point is, if you say "HAY GUYS we are going to have a hitchcock competition!!11one!!11" then everyone could just enter every hitchcock movie for every answer until they get it right. It wouldn't work with the contest format. Nice idea, but it wouldn't work. Same with any other director. Even if it was just a cameo's contest, that would also be easy, you would only have to recognise the director, and then try all their films.

Anyway, lets get the current contest finished first :) Naut or Tliff will post another poll or ask for people's ideas for the next contest when the time comes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCotp
    Could point them00ch I didn't think about that.... by the way out of curiosity did you ever think of limiting the number of tries to a film ? or number of tries in a minute :)

Too bad wwould have loved to see all this woody allen or jerry lewis snapshots, but I get your point ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009 edited
    I just love to do some random guesses on certain stills I don't know/remember and hope the good one is among them, limiting the number of tries would spoil this fun. Also I think that's one of the special features from what the movie: you can try as many times as you want. There are plenty of games like wtm (on forums or other movie sites where you have to send in your answers) where you get only one (or a few) chances. Think that's the reason why I like whatthemovie more than any other game like it (that and of course the great admins, moderators, community, site and many shots everyday in every genre. ;) )
    •  
      CommentAuthorCotp
    Imagine some have a list of 5000 titles spending there time copy pasting ... now I understand how they win the contests (just kidding !!!)

Cotp
    PS: I did it for a Audrey Hepburn movie, made me want to see it now ! ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorCotp
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009
    Another idea for a contest !! Make snapshots of movies that aren't yet in WTM's database... maybe members could help in defining a list of rare movies that havn't yet been included ... Good idea ?
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Nope, I don't think that would work. They must be very rare to not be there, and if they are not in yet, they are that rare that the whole contest system wouldn't work. Also, because most people don't have access to rare dvd's, there wouldn't be any fun in uploading for people with less resources.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009 edited
    @cotp : So we make a contest from a list of films? So everyone has the answers already?

edit: and what asmodai said. WTM members are a pretty eclectic bunch. You will be hard pressed to find a film that is so rare it hasnt been posted yet. And if its that rare, no-one has likely seen it, or own it etc. etc.

Wait until the next contest is announced, I am sure Naut will petitioning for ideas / making a poll etc.. lets finish this one first!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCotp
    Could do also do it with movies that have only 1 snap ... just thought of that to enrich the database of WTM with different movies... or movies that appear not so often. I have a lot of Dvds of films I don't think of directly for a screenshot because they are not that common
    •  
      CommentAuthorCotp
    m00ch: good point lol, I thought of a big list but yeah in fact people would just copy paste the whole list !! Damn those !! Arg

Edit: By the way the product placement is a good contest (still amazed by the nymber of snaps solved), not many people realizes that movies are full of product placements and not only James Bond movies ! :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorCotp
    m00ch "You will be hard pressed to find a film that is so rare it hasnt been posted yet"

I just looked at 1 randomly from the AFI 100 Years list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI%27s_100_Years%E2%80%A6100_Movies
    of course I didn't choose an abvious one like Citizen Kane, I chose: A Place in the Sun http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043924/ with Montgomery Clift and Elizabeth Taylor
    The movie was there in the database but no snapshot appeared... (I was wondering if there is a reason for that by the way because it is not the first time that happens for me ? does some movies have been entered without snapshots inside the database ?)

Anyway, just to say I'm sure we all have plenty of great movies that aren't appearing on WTM, but maybe that's just beyond the contest topic... and that is another debate.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    It simply means that some shots have already been tried in the new submission for these movies but didn't make it to the next stage
    I'm sure there are still plenty more "rare" movies that are not yet in the database, I regularly add some.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Or it means that there is a shot in the database, but the still is still in featured, and not yet in archive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCotp
    thanks both of you for these details... well maybe we could have a contest of rejected snapshots lol ... :P