Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.  permalink
    It would be so cool if we had an award ceremony next year and every year around the time of the Oscars!

We, the users, could vote for the best shot (amongst, for example, 20 shots carefully selected, just one vote, no rating or anything...) in different categories and we could get a WTM-Oscar on our Memorabilias lol!!

Here are a few categories I can think of at the top of my head :

Best Shot 2009 (The ULTIMATE award!!!)
    Best Drama Shot 2009
    Best Comedy Shot 2009
    Best Action Shot 2009
    Best Close-up Shot 2009
    Best Animation Shot 2009
    Best Black & White Shot 2009

Best Original Shot 2009
    Best Nude Shot 2009

What do you think of the idea???
    Can you think of other categories?
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009
    Great idea!

The drama might be a bit hard, better make it "Best Other Shot" or something. Because the shot counts, not the film I take it?
    Other catagorie: Best Monochrome shot ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Maybe add "horror" and "Sci-fi / Fantasy" to the list, although I am not a big fan of this kind of movies. They are quite well represented on WTM.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    @Asmodai,
    I like the idea of the drama shots, we have many sad shots uploaded.

I really like the idea. But how should we select the shots? The problem we could face is that the ratings were quite different a few weeks ago, a 7 back then is a 8 today
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Yes, but Drama is different from Sad, in my opinion. And a shot can be such a dramatical scene in the film itself, but that can be very hard to see in just a screenshot. Therefore it can be very dramatic in the eyes of the uploader, or people who have seen the movie, but it can be just another shot in the eyes of someone who does not know the film. In contrast, action, sci-fi, fantasy, and even comedy a bit all are very easy to define. UFO's -> sci/fi, trolls -> fantasy, random body parts or just uploaded by bazzy -> horror.

To avoid the rating differences, maybe there can just be looked in the archive, where ratings have settled down a bit?
  2.  permalink
    I think that a group of select people should choose the 10 - 20 nominees without any regards for ratings...
    For example : moderators, top-solvers, top-uploaders, top FF bucks, top Review writers, Older users etc....

Then out of the selected few, EVERY USER can cast a vote to choose the winner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    It will be really difficult to nominate 10-20 for each category. You can't expect mods or other groups can go through all shots or remember all shots. Maybe it would be an idea if every uploader gets the opportunity to choose one of his own shots for all categories they want to participate in. After this there could be a selection round with mods/top-uploaders or any other group to make a selection of the 10-20 best shots for every category.
    Biggest disadvantage of this is there is a maximum of one shot per uploader per category, while some uploaders have more awesome shots in one category (bazzy in horror for example).

I do agree the winner should be chosen by the amount of votes for that particular picture and not by rating.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009 edited
    I think Zythux just got a very good idea :)

And about the categories, I also think it is important to talk about shots and not movies. There are fantasy shots/scenes coming from movies which are not really fantasy movies, same goes with animation and all the others...
  3.  permalink
    Excellent idea Zythux!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorholynoise
    Great idea Zythux

This would also allow another (imo) interesting category: best rejected shot
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    Great idea !! . . . someone much smarter than me has to figure out the logistics of making it happen though . . . lol
  4.  permalink
    Yeah! "Best rejected shot" is a MUST lol.
    • CommentAuthorbazzy3000
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009 edited
    cool! let's do this.. and chrissy is right! if a gory bloody shot comes from a romantic comedy it should count as gore ;) and best rejected must be in here indeed.. got some nice ones if i remember well!