Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009
    I just bought a new screen (going from 17" to 23"), and to take its virginity I was thinking about what to watch first. And that put me on this topic: What do you think is VISUALLY the coolest film out there (so not counting great acting or story-lines, pure looks)? For me it would be 300, Watchmen and 2001.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    2001 !!
    or Full metal jacket, Dr Strangelove, Shining, Barry Lyndon, A Clockwork Orange, Eyes wide shut, The Killing, the Killer's kiss, Paths of glory...

well, avoid crap :)
    • CommentAuthorcoolathlon
    Not to miss Ran. Or Tron.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    23 inch hmmm I don't know

I use my digital tv for movies so I don't know
    but maybe the new star trek, up, watchmen, helboy 2, vidocq, wall e, etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009 edited
    Visually beauty is many things, but I think movies with great landscapes, colours and so on are good for the "big?" screen... Here I would say "The Fall", "Cashback", "Days of Heaven", "What dreams may come", "Sunshine", "The Fountain", "Samsara" "Until the end of the world" and much much more :D!
    Btw all movies by Wong Kar Wai (i'm a great fan) is beautiful :D!
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    the BBCs Planet Earth. Bought it as my first BluRay for the big TV.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    or Baraka
  1.  permalink
    I agree with Razzomega on "The Fall" : the colors are amazing !
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2009
    Mirrormask
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2009
    I second siren34. MirrorMask is just stunning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbubblemilk
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2009
    "The Cell" is also quite the eye candy. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2009
    Hero
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2009
    Suspiria
    • CommentAuthorMaria555
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2009
    Yeah, Suspiria.
    Or Heima.
  2.  permalink
    I just saw Avatar on IMAX 3D so I'm gonna answer you... AVATAR !!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2009
    No dvd yet for Avatar. And no 3d at home for the moment :(
    I saw yesterday Christmas Carol (Scrooge) in 3d and it is also a great movie. My first 3d experience where the 3d makes sense.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2009 edited
    Also saw Avatar 3D in the cinema, it's great! I mean the scenario sucks, you shouldn't go for that, there is nothing original in the story. But visually, it is a must see experience imo :) I have never seen anything like it, some scenes are breathtaking, trully amazing. And it is also something that you must see in the cinema (and in 3D), really, seeing it on dvd will not even come close! But then again, I wish one day they could do something like this but with a good story :(
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2009
    Also saw Avatar 3D. Really a stunning visual experience. Absolutely exciting. But then, as Chrissy says: why spend hundreds of millions on research, visuals and marketing and fail to pay for a proper scenario? It's so disappointing. Are the directors and producers of such movies retards themselves, or has it been proven that the only way to make money in film industry is to address a hypothetical 14-year-old who supposedly needs a clear distinction between good and bad, lots of explosions, music that tells whether a bad acted scene is meant to be understood as romantic, and a build-up that has a fixed number of highlights and setbacks to end with a reassuring climax?
  3.  permalink
    Is the scenario THAT bad ? It's basically Dancing with Wolves meets Star Wars. I agree that's it's not original at all but it's not bad either.
    Anyway my eyes had so many orgasms that my brain couldn't pay attention to the story lol
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2009
    I think the most grotesque twist in the story was quite nicely described in a review by Chris Tookey ('Avatar: It's Dances With Smurfs') in The Daily Mail:

"Cameron affects a fashionably anti-war, anti-military stance, but — as befits the man who made Aliens — he knows American audiences well enough to provide a 20-minute pro-war finale that takes just as much delight in mass destruction as any Michael Bay or Jerry Bruckheimer movie."

But, indeed, still fun to watch the movie!
    • CommentAuthorfabster
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2010 edited
    BEST CAMERA WORK: any kubrick movie, but especially THE SHINING
    BEST OVERALL VISUALS: i'd have to say KING KONG. i watched both KING KONG and AVATAR on the big screen and found the first one at least as visually amazing as the latter. nevertheless, i felt that KING KONG had more optical variety. and finally, jackson already achieved these visual standards ~4 years ago, so i just have to go with the kong (who just looks friggin' amazing, by the way).
    SPECIAL MENTION: the highly underrated SUNSHINE, for creating some kind of strange "attraction" to the sun.

movies like TRON or THE MATRIX are also great visual showcases, but more in a way that they were "ahead of their time" and something completely new for their original audiences.
  4.  permalink
    I also think Tim Burton movies are visually great. Sleepy Hollow, Sweeney Todd (if you turn off the volume, in my opinion the singing is quite obnoxious) Big Fish for example