Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2010
    thanks for all your great feedback guys!!
    It's very appreciated and we're glad you tell us what you experience.

I just came back from a few days off the grid, but will indulge myself in WTM soon.

Happy new year everyone!
    • CommentAuthorrevani
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010
    if i may, i would like to say that most of the new functionalities are awesome in my opinion. really great work!
    the only thing that really bothers me is the new function to post character shots. for example stardust. if you look at the page, these shots are wtm shots on themselves, but you can't upload that anymore because it's already there. i had some awesome shots for that movie, and now a few are taken because this is possible.

i would like to see that character shots have another ratio or something, maybe cut out from the frame. so that it won't interfere with wtm itself. :)
  1.  permalink
    I supose that "add" before every title in the shelf-edit screen is there, because it's a template also used when you try to add a movie to your shelf?

There is no way to go to the movie page from a dvd on your shelf?

Where do the covers come from? I think the first cover of "the thing" is from "escape from new york" in a foreign language?
    • CommentAuthorramses
    I suppose the current way to display bookmarks is not final?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    @ramses: I don't hope that either. It's the same with the contests -.-
  2.  permalink
    I love option of adding shots with titles of the movies... but someone should control it. For example: http://whatthemovie.com/movie/the_lord_of_the_rings_the_return_of_the_king/snapshots The idea itself is great, but from my own experience I know, that giving people too much freedom is easiest way to anarchy.

By the way, love site's new looks ;)
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010 edited
    @Pinokio1983, we are controlling it, we check the quality of what is posted on a regular basis. As you can see I tried to delete it already but somehow it is still there

Naut, Tliff, this is a bug, we should be able to blast these as well, I deleted a few more today and that means they are still here then...
    • CommentAuthorjoma
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2010
    not really concerning WTM 2.5 but anyway:

on the memorabilia page it says "This page doesn't show the rank memorabilia, because they're a secret! (And we didn't design them yet..)" which is kind of funny but not really up to date.
    and another thing:

the header of your blog links to "whatthemovie.com/lounge" which does not exist anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2010 edited
    I don't watch many movies with a "The End" sign :P(it's mostly b/w movies)! Btw I have uploaded 2 title shots: http://whatthemovie.com/movie/mean_streets/snapshots and http://whatthemovie.com/movie/star_trek/snapshots are they good enough?
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2010
    They look perfect razzomega.
  3.  permalink
    I noticed a few broken things here and there, nothing major but still

On the profile page, the memorabilia show all link in the shelve to the right, points to /shelf, which is now the dvdshelf.
    Also on the profile, if you have dvd's on your own shelve and hover over them, you get the option to edit it just like on the full shelve. But clicking it doesn't actually do anything.
    Also when adding movies on your dvd shelve, it saves the rating you applied to the movie you previously added, and re-applies it onto the next one. You can get around this by refreshing the page between additions but it gets a bit tedious.
    And last, on the movie details root page, to the right there is a character listing with tiny thumbnails. Those thumbnails are never filled and aways display a default picture, even when there are screenshots assigned to the character.
    Oh, and the bookmark page is one long list instead of multiple rows.

That said, I'm loving the update. And aside from some minor glitches it's working awesome. I like the new additions on the movie page, especially the character tab.
  4.  permalink
    @Chrisy, thanks fr the answer. I was worried... but 'm not any more :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010 edited
    I tried to add some characters for different movies, which led to different problems:

1) For the existing movies in the database there are some characters at hand which are not activated. The name of the character is followed by the name of the actor in parentheses. However, when creating a new character there is no possibility to add the actor. You can only add the characters name and in the upload dialogue it reads "unknown actor". I don't think it is a problem if you cannot name the actor, but then there shouldn't be any actor names at all. Otherwise it is confusing and it leads to mistakes when creating new characters.

2) This leads to my second point. There will be mistakes by users creating new characters (I made quite some today). Until now, there is no way to edit a false name of a character. The only possibility is to deactivate the character but it will still pop up in the list with all characters and in the upload process. Maybe there should be the possibility (preferably only for higher ranked players) to edit the name of a character or to delete a character. Otherwise it will get messy with double characters using different names etc.

3) If one assigns a snapshot to a character there is no way to undo it. This will lead to mistakes, too. I accidentally assigned a wrong shot to a character and the only way to undo this was to deactivate the character and to create a new one, which leads again to problem 2).

All in all, I think it would be great if higher ranked player would get some more rights to change stuff on the movie page, i.e. delete characters, rename characters, change assignments of shots, change order of shots, maybe even delete low quality shots etc. I don't know if it is difficult to implement but I think it would help keeping the movie pages nice and clean.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010
    bug: on the home page, the window with the new submission is not always up to date. Mine show that my shots have no shouts when they do have some shouts posted since yesterday. It would be nice if they indicate the number of solves as well
    Would be nice if the window "Your feature film" is sorted the other way around, starting by the most recent
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    Is it a bug or deliberate: I cant become fellow with Bazzy.....
    • CommentAuthorbazzy3000
    yeah i've noticed that too... i wanna be friend with pspan! what's up? and please disable the upload character shot! i think it's probably best to just leave the assign a screenshot to a character there... these shots will never be in the ff's and for some of them that really is a shame.. http://whatthemovie.com/movie/robocop/character/11009 , for example
    •  
      CommentAuthorMicron
    I shouldn't remove the upload a new character shot function, I think it is fine to upload a 'normal' shot of all the characters in a movie. The most character shots aren't that special, but just a shot on which you can see what the character looks like. These will never come through the NS section.
    • CommentAuthorrevani
    i agree with bazzy, i've said it before, some shots are just too good to be character shots. it brings down the possibility to get some great shots in ff of characters. which is a pity. @ micron, true, some shots of characters won't get trough, but some will. that's the point, you never know. i hope you guys will find something to fix this :)
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010 edited
    I personaly like this functionality and I did add some shots already which I think would have probably made it in the FF (Brazil characters...) but i will still sometimes post shots of characters in the new submission if there is something very special about them. Sometimes in some movies, the character shots are not necessary good enough to make it to the FF. But they still deserve to appear on the movie page (since the characters are now a big part of the page) And although I understand what you are saying, I can't help to think about it the other way: if that can decrease the number of boring shots in the quiz which have nothing special about them and which can simply be solved using IMDB, then yes, they add nothing to the quiz...
    Then again, people can be free to do as they wish, you can still post shots of characters in the new submission and if it is already posted, then too bad, same as if someone else posted it in the quiz before you, no difference
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2010
    i logged out today, and after looking at the new main page (i have to say, you did a great job on that guys), as you take the tour, coming to the shelf you say it is possible to import the imdb votehistory list to your shelf. How do you do that? Would be a great help if someone told me that :P
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    we lied...
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    how is the snapshot of the day decided? By rating? cause it doesn't seem right. At the moment, my shot of yesterday in FF has more than the snapshot of the day. And I have seen the same problem with the other shots of the previous days
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    OOH Chrisy, do i detect a little jealousy there :P

Just kidding
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2010 edited
    lol no ha ha, noticed this for a few days now, and my shots were far from competing :) expect the last one but dont really care, just wondering how it is calculated :)
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    I think the snapshot of the day is random
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    I don't think so, they're all high rated :)!
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    chrisy: it's a combination of rating and favourites.
    I think one favourite is worth three 10 star ratings (solved)

tliff: get your lazy ass working on the IMDb import ;)
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    mmm ok, but that's still strange, my shot for example has 8.45 and 5 favorites. The shot showing as snapshot of the day has 8.33 and 5 favorites so this is less
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    Maybe the rating was another when the day started? Dunno, it's correct that it looks kinda weird:S
  5.  permalink
    One thing is getting annoying though, in 90% of the cases when I browse between shots the rating fails to load, it's just stuck on loading forever. Hitting ctrl + F5 pretty much always fixes it though. I'v already tried clearing cache and cookies, doesn't work and the problem presents on multiple pc's and browsers.

Here are the javascript errors I'm getting in google chrome:
    53599:1 Uncaught TypeError: Object [object HTMLDivElement] has no method 'setPngBackground'
    53599:1 Uncaught TypeError: Object [object HTMLDivElement] has no method 'setStyle'
    prototype.js:709 Uncaught TypeError: Object [object HTMLDivElement] has no method 'setStyle'

First two rules reference the doctype in the html page, second one is in a really odd place and doesn't make sense to me. Hope you guys can do anything at all with this information, would be really nice if it could be fixed.
  6.  permalink
    Just popping in to say the more I use it, the more I love the new homepage. It's fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    @sleepkever
    what browser and operating system are you on?
  7.  permalink
    Both systems are running Windows 7 (one x64, one x86) with google chrome 4.0.249.43. I seem to have lied about the other browsers though, after doublechecking firefox that seems to be running fine.
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2010
    Could someone explain the following?
    Before the new site was launched I had about 5800 solves total, my friend Ilse had about the same. After the launch of 2.5 we had a totally different count. The FF's we solved also have a different number. What happened?
    • CommentAuthorSleepkever
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2010 edited
    [removed stuff telling it was working]

Right, maybe that was a bit too early, it's broken again, same errors.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2010 edited
    This shot http://whatthemovie.com/shot/53913 shows as character shot (you can access it from the home menu) but it is in the new submission
    That's not right ;) + now everyone can solve it

+ this one shows as timed out http://whatthemovie.com/shot/53455

something must be wrong :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010 edited
    I assigned http://whatthemovie.com/shot/53455 after it was rejected, thought it would be ok :p
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010 edited
    ah yes that explains it then, no issues for yours then
    But there is a problem when it comes to the new submission, it makes it too easy to solve as it shows on the home page and you can see from which movie it is. This one http://whatthemovie.com/shot/53913 is a problem. It shouldn't be allowed to do this with new submission shots
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010
    Yes, I agree with you. Should be some controlsystem inplemented that checks if a shot is in FF or New submissions, and if so it should deny it or save it but not show until it leaves FF or gets rejected.
    • CommentAuthorcastaka
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    I like the new desgin, I noticed that there was few things that had disappeared though :p
    - On the upload pages, there used to be the title of the movie on top when you are at the upload page, it was very convenient!
    - On the movie pages, we used to be able to open the page of a shot by right-clicking its miniature shot on the previews, that was very handy too. Now we have to click on it, wait for the loading and then right click the central image.

Otherwise great job! keep up the good work.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010 edited
    The advertisement between the shot and the shouts are annoying
    maybe better to put the advertisement at the bottom of the site
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    The snapshot of the day is again an awesome upload with only 21 votes:S!
    • CommentAuthormunkt0n
    it's been noticeably slower, today is really bad. 30+ seconds to load a page, 30+ seconds to get a response back from a guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    Agree with Lordmyst on the advertisement, that is really silly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    @Razzomega:
    Unfortunately WTM costs money to run, Naut and Tliff are having to spend their own money every month to keep WTM running. Donations and amazon referrals etc.. help but don't cover all the costs I'm sure. So ads are needed at the moment, and to sell ad-space the ads need to be in the most prominent public (ie not in a private page like a profile etc.) place possible, which is unfortunately under the images.

Yeah its a minor annoyance, but if it helps keep WTM afloat then I'm happy to put up with it. Remember that someone is paying for the fun we have at WTM :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    The adds is to their own twitter site and so on, didn't know that you could earn movie linking to own sites, but okay:)! I know WTM costs money, just think that it could be better on right and left site of the picture or so:)!
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Yeah I think the ads to their twitter etc.. are just placeholder until they get real paid-for ads :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    Aha okay, then I get it:)! Thank you for the explanation.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    I get an error 404 when trying to assign an existing shot to a characer
    Example: I tried to assign http://whatthemovie.com/shot/2208 to http://whatthemovie.com/movie/killing_zoe/character/25587
    I just clicked on "assign existing snapshot" then I typed #2208 and get the error
    Am I doing something wrong?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    @Chrisy: Don't know, but maybe try without the "#". That's how I do it and it always worked for me.