Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.  permalink
    Not sure it's a bug, but yesterday I browsed a movie page and now when I search for it the database doesn't return anything. It's kinda random, some movies I find, some others not =P
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010
    Freudiunspud, that's because the site selects an <b>easy</b> snapshot for you. If there are only a few left, you will get them over and over again. You can change what the site sees as easy under "difficulty & options"
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010 edited
    @Asmodai: I think you are wrong. Even if you select the full random option among all the unsolved snapshots, you get very often the same shots over and over. This bug has been present since 2.0 and it should not be so difficult to fix. Just take a better random number generator (of check if the list of shots where it is randomly choosing is not restricted to a subset of the available shots).

And again (please naut !!!) could you one day add the comma ',' character to the list of the unrelevant characters, just like the other punctuation signs. Please...
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    Concerning the "same snapshots over and over thing"

The problem is:
    We can’t reproduce what you encounter. I haven’t solved that many snapshots and every time I hit the random button 100 times, it works just fine.

Could someone out there please use a screen recorder of some kind (I think the new quicktime offers that) and record 5 minutes of random quizzing?
    If the same snapshots appear *over and over* we should clearly see that.
    Maybe we can get to the bottom of this.

PS:
    efji: I told tliff
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Thanks naut !
    For me the random button does not give the same shot over and over, but the same shotS. It means that I get very often twice the same shot when I press the random button a certain number of time.

I just made some probabilities calculations that explain the phenomenon :
    The set of shots has about 1500 element (2500-1000 already solved).
    If I pick n random shots, the probability to get at least twice the same shot is p=1-((1500-1)x...x(1500-n))/1500^n

n=10 -> p=3.60852480E-02
    n=20 -> p=0.13119972
    n=50 -> p=0.57671213
    n=100 -> p=0.96807867
    n=200 -> p=0.99999923

It means that if you pick 50 shots you have more than 1 chance over 2 to get twice the same shot, and for more than 100 you are almost sure to get duplicate shots.

Of course if you narrow the set by selecting "random easy shot", the probabilities are much higher !

Amazing !

For the same reason, in a classroom of 25 students, you have about 1/2 probability that 2 students have the same birthday.
    Or, more difficult to check, in a village of a few hundreds of inhabitants, you have an almost sure probability that 2 people have the same number of hairs (bald are excluded!).

edit: I just checked it experimentally : got my first dupe after 52 draws. Maths are powerful :)
  2.  permalink
    I just counted the clicks and I got 8 dupes, of which I saw one three times, out of 50 clicks. Got the first at 24, then 30, 33, 39, 42, 44, 45 and finally 50. I could imagine that the number would higher the longer I click the button. I'd imagine there's more than 41 different shots I haven't solved yet...
    • CommentAuthoragonistes
    And while we're on the random snapshot subject, is it possible to not include your own uploaded shots? Solving them myself doesn't help either, as was previously suggested by someone.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    I also get the same shots in the random often
    and a lot of my own shots (maybe I need to have some difficult shots ;) )

it would be nice to not get my own shots in the random button
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    also

on the home page
    I see 0 shouts
    but on the shot http://whatthemovie.com/shot/68761
    I see a lot more :)
  3.  permalink
    Active forum topics intended (I assume) only for mods and other authority figures show up in my "Recent activity" box on the homepage, but of course I can't view them even when clicked there.
    • CommentAuthorrevani
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2010
    at the home page, i can see a new vault item; asmodai's sidequest.. but when i click it it just goes to home.. bug?
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    It's a bug of sorts, that you are able to see it :) It shouldn't appear to you on /home.
    • CommentAuthorrevani
    oh i see.. you're secretly promoting me to some sort of mod.. sneaky
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010
    You wish :P
    • CommentAuthorrevani
    well no not really.. too much responsibility :P
    i don't have enough time to be on wtm anymore :(
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010 edited
    It's nice to see that it's finally possible to see shots from the vault when upload a shot :)! I like that... And then we see the newest shot in FF instead of the last on the "what's new" page, Nice!
    Edit: It's also nice to be able seeing the score when a shot makes it to FF :).. A lot of nice updates.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Agree with razzo.
    But it seems to be buggy !
    What are doing #41417 #44579 and #47804, posted 4 months ago, in today's FF ??
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010 edited
    That's nothing to do with the changes efji, I added a shout under each of those pictures. Basically, they were left over from the the beginning/end contest. The holding area has been broke for a while. Now its fixed, we were able to put them back, but only straight into FF. Shouldn't happen again. And sorry to whoever had shots stuck in that situation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    OK m00ch. Didn't noticed.
    Not the best 3 shots of WTM IMHO, especially these days with so many great shots rejected. And I am not talking about mine ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    You're probably right. But they were already approved once into FF, before they were stashed, so its only fair they go back.
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010
    When I try to upload a shot from a certain movie, no names because I will spoil it, I have to check if the snapshot isn;t already uploaded. There I see 2 shots, who are my own, but they are rejected, this shouldn't be should it?
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010 edited
    it is great that the vault shots show in the upload section :)
    But it would be even better if they show on the movie page (seperate maybe). 2 reasons:
    1. Often key shots are uploaded for the contest or moved to the vault for the side quest, it is really a shame that they dont show on the movie page
    2. Before taking shots, I always look on the movie page to see what has been uploaded already, I dont go through the uploading process for that
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010
    I totally agree with Chrisy on this subject.
  4.  permalink
    I got this idea after reading the last couple posts in the Character Shot thread, about the repetition of several films. I can imagine that this idea will get some critique, but maybe it's an idea to limit the total number of shots per movie for a period of time? Like how there's a limit of one shot per film per week, maybe set a limit for the total in six months or something.
    I'm not saying that WTM should limit creativity, but after solving the umpteenth LotR or PotC shot I'd like it if there'd be some originality instead of the same films over and over.
  5.  permalink
    Another thought: on the homepage where you see the latest activity in the forums, it shows the person who started the thread. Since I have no life/am bored most of the time/am just plain curious/etc, I was thinking it'd be handy to show the last person who posted in the thread that is shown on the home page, rather than the person who started the discussion.
    Then again, it might be just me on this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2010
    # Freudianspud I agree completely!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomBeeBob
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010
    It might be an idea to change the poll since it might be some people that did not see the April fools joke thread ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorenerg
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2010
    I have an idea for the next update, lemme know what you guys think (and if it's possible). The DVD shelf is very nice, but to put all my DVD's on it is a lot of work. So maybe it's possible to add an extra tab on the upload section where you can indicate that you own that specific movie. That way you hit two flies in one slap (haha, I like translating dutch proverbs into english) and your DVD shelf looks more bitching because it has more DVD on it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorenerg
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2010
    Oh and it would be a great feature to see who has favorited a shot! I'm always honored if someone favorited my shot and I would like to see who it is!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010
    I agree with the second one. I've always thought that it would be nice to see who favourited your shots. Something like I click on the heart and get to a new site where the ones are listed who favourited it, like in the "currently online" section.
    •  
      CommentAuthorholynoise
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010
    A possibility for mass-importing movies to the DVD-shelf would be great, for example by uploading a txt-file with imdb-numbers or something like that.

Also a mobile theme would be nice. Not that much because of the performance but on some parts of the site place is "wasted" on the sides.
    • CommentAuthormaZe
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2010
    I use Opera as my new browser but there is a problem with the ratings. They just won't load while on Firefox there is no problem at all. Maybe there's something wrong with your AJAX-Request there? Surprisingly it works for the comments.
  6.  permalink
    On several occasions in the last week or two, I've had shots that are still in FF show up in the "Is my shot uploaded yet?" check screen. Also, at least one shot that was rejected and subsequently deleted (I'd know, because I was reposting that shot when it showed up) popped up in it. Is that meant to happen?
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010
    @OhLookBirdies That's what I meant on my post on march 29th, you have explained it way better though:D
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010
    Yeah, I've seen FF shots too in step #4 (Check) of the upload process. And it's not supposed to be this way.
    What's even weirder is that it doesn't show all FF shots of the movie : from my experience, it's actually only one, the "oldest" one, AFAIK.
    And I've seen rejected shots too. But I didn't notice if it was only one or several of them per movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2010
    I have just noticed something else. Snapshots from the Vault should appear in the movies snapshots too, after the Vault is over. Since you can see the solution once the Vault is over I think there is no reason why they shouldn't also be listed in the movies snaps too ;)
  7.  permalink
    Is that normal that rejected shots appear in the "Check" part, during the Upload process ?
    exemple : http://whatthemovie.com/shot/67775
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010 edited
    sorry, no, it’s not.
    bug.
  8.  permalink
    It seems impossible to reach the TOP UPLOADER because it's a all-timer. It would be nice to have the same system that the TOP SOLVER.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010
    Yeah, the one with most uploads every month maybe :)! (though I'm a top uploader too ;) )
    • CommentAuthordekolta
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010
    I think I have to disagree on that. If you're new it is hard to reach the top, that is true. But then people will upload as many as possible instead. So quantity will go over quality, which is not what we want here on WTM.
    Someone that has uploaded so much they are in the top 20 uploaders, they deserve to be mentioned because they were of a great contribution to this site.

I'm not defending this because I'm in the top myself; I have only 12 uploads.
    • CommentAuthortoffetomas
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010 edited
    I know the creators are really busy at the moment, so no hurry, but i've got a couple of ideas for improvement, s.t. when they will have time again they can make the site even better.

I think the bookmarking of movies could be better, now if you bookmark a movie, you can not click on it to go to the movie page.
    It also would be nice if there was the possibility to create folders, such that you can sort your bookmarks better (for bookmarks of shots and movies)

Think it already been said, but it would be nice if you could see the contest shots on the movie page, now you only see them when uploading. (there should be a seperate part for the Draw the Movie of course)

About the hall of fames, already since wtm 2.0 started i didnt like that there's no all time hall of fame for solving anymore. I think the arguments that the all time HoF was mainly the same as the top solvers HoF of last month hall of fame and that for new people its impossible to get there are not too good arguments. For me (and most people) reaching any HoF for solvers is impossible, and in the montly HoF i'm always around the same place. But in the all time hall of fame i could increase slowly, by keep playing, i will still never make it, but it would be nice to see where i am and try to climb up. Also with an all time HoF there would be more reason to solves shots from 29 days ago, now there's not, cause now these points count only for one day for the montly HoF.
    So my suggestion: bring back the all time hall of fame for solvers! I also like the idea of a top uploaders of the month hall of fame.

I could even think of many other halls of fame. For example just some quick thoughts: halls of fame for: highest rated shots, persons with highest average rating, persons with most favorites in total, most favorited shots, most solved shots, person with most unsolved shots posted, person that uploaded shots with the lowest average solves, person with most reviews written, person with most thumbs up. Depending on the idea there could be an all time and/or a montly hall of fame. I know some ideas are maybe stupid, but like i dont think there can ever be too many HoFs (just like stats).
    • CommentAuthordekolta
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010
    What do you mean with going to the movie page when you bookmark it? I also bookmark shots which I can't solve. So what exactly do you mean?
    • CommentAuthortoffetomas
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010 edited
    i was talking about bookmarking of movies, so not of shots. On the movie page there's an icon to bookmark the movie, it then shows in your shelf under bookmarked movies. But when you've bookmarked it you can not go directly to the movie page. I think this could be improved and then it would be really good to use for movies that look interresting, and you maybe want to watch and/or buy or anything.
    • CommentAuthordekolta
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010
    Then you're right!
    • CommentAuthorlnatbnf
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2010
    An little idea about the "Movies section" :

Isn't it possible to give a colour to the different tabs (Movie, snapshots, videos, reviews, caracters, info, fans) when there is SOMETHING to read or whatch INSIDE ?
    For instance : grey when they are empty (most of them are), black when you can find something when you click on them....
    It's just because is really boring to click and click and to find nothing....
    What do you thing about this idea ?
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2010
    maybe its already in this topic

but is there a chance to get a shout when one of your shots got a vote for deletion
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2010 edited
    That would be handy, idd, even if it is just for the first deletion vote. That way, if they are wrong (black bars part of the shot, for example), you at least can remove them in time without bribing the mods. (Not that I mind being bribed)
    • CommentAuthordekolta
    Yeah, but what's the point if you can delete it? Then someone is voting, you see it and immediately delete it.

Also handy would be if you got a message if someone replied to your shout. I sometimes make a shout to a shot (I solved the shot) and then later someone replies, but I don't look at the shot anymore. They now have to shout at my profile.

(Is idd also the abbrevation of indeed?)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    I assume people still behave fair with their delete-vote removing powers. But sometimes, these delete votes are for the wrong reasons, and you only find out after the shot is deleted, which is very annoying.
    Idd is short for indeed, yes, sorry, dutch abbreviation ;)