Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.  permalink
    Hello :)

I have something that I would like to ask all of you. It's about "the end shots". For me, "the end" shot is a shot of end screen (the end, fin, to be continued etc: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/52794 ). Do I understand it right?

But what with situation, when that kind of shot is not in the film. We leave it empty, or add last shot from the last scene (I'm personally am against it), like here: http://whatthemovie.com/movie/the_thing/snapshots (by the way, this film has "the end" shot with a title in it).

So what are your suggestions on the topic? What's the proper way of understanding "the end shot"? Thanks :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010
    I have to agree with Pinokio on this one. In my opinion "the end" stills should be reserved for shots which show "the end" or "fin" or "fine" etc... If the film doesn't have one it should be left blank, and anything between the title screen and the end screen, should be submitted as a normal contest image.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010 edited
    Good question Pinokio1983, so far we've been accepting also the shots from the last scene as well. I question also if we should allow them or not, I my self also posted a few (following the flow) I think if a movie doesn't have a real "end" shot, it is fine but it is also quite difficult to control so I dont know. If we don't allow them, we have to make it really clear to everyone cause it is not really the case now
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010
    I think shots like that should not be allowed. Title screen at the start and 'the end' at the end or possibly a title in the end if there's no 'the end'.
    For example: http://whatthemovie.com/movie/the_ring/snapshots only had title on the end, http://whatthemovie.com/movie/friday_the_13th/snapshots had title at the beginning and end (but also no 'the end')
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010 edited
    I want to delete this shot: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/55980 because there is a real "the end" shot I want to upload instead, how is it possible to delete it? :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010
    @razzomega :

same as normal, 5 votes. I have blasted it though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010 edited
    m00ch: It's really hard to delete start title/end title shots, because no one normally checks em ;)! This shot is better right: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/73016
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010
    Indeed, lots better. If you see one like this again, just drop me or another moderator a shout on our profiles, and we will take care of it. Thanks
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2010
    I want to raise the question again
    I know its allowed if the movie don't have a real end shot (FIN or THE END) you can also upload the last shot of the movie

but In my opinion such shots need to be in the FF and not in the end shots

for example

http://whatthemovie.com/shot/126628
    last shot from inception
    this is a shot that need to be in the FF in my opinion

what are your thoughts?
    • CommentAuthorShayah
    I agree with you LordMyst, and I didn't know we were allowed to upload the last shot, I thought it was only shots with "directed by..." or "in memory of..." or something that really marks the end of the movie.

BTW, I haven't seen Inception yet, I'm still waiting for my Bluray, so please stop uploading shots from it ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    I agree, I'd prefer a 'there is no the end/end title'. Those shots are often very good, and I think they don't really add something to the movie page as an end shot.
    •  
      CommentAuthortorqu3
    Inception has the end shot with a title in it..few seconds after this uploaded shot!
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    A quick reminder here:
    If the title of the movie can be seen only at the end and not at the beginning, upload it as the Start Title anyway. And DO NOT upload the same shot as the End Title.

As for "final movie shots" used as End Title shots, I agree: it's too bad when a good shot is used for an End Title shot without going through FF first.
    When it happens, I think it would be OK to: take the "proper" End Title shot, ask a mod to delete the previous one and then upload yours.
    By the way, even "The End" shots are sometimes worth going through FF. And they are not breaking any rules (plus they can always be assigned as End Title shots later), which means they should not be voted for deletion. If you think they're not worth going through FF, just rate them as you would rate any other shot for which you think the same.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    What he said in his last sentences. If your shot is a great shot, which just happens to be an end shot, please upload it the normal way and assign it after 30 days.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2010
    I agree with the option "there is no the end/end title"
    but what should we do with all those shots which have already been assigned and don’t fit this rule?
    • CommentAuthorTerry5
    a few movies have no title and end still's example: http://whatthemovie.com/movie/a_r_o_g

I asked tliff a while ago and got permission to take the title shot of the menu

Is this also ok for you all ?
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    Hmmm... I don't like it.
    I think shots should be only from the movies themselves. This might really get out of control if people start doing this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    I agree with MisterZob
    •  
      CommentAuthorfnick
    +1
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    yeah only from movies
    why tliff gave permission
    I can't understand
  2.  permalink
    I guess he was drunk!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    I have to second MisterZob on this, too. Just let it be, if there isn't a title shot.
    • CommentAuthorTerry5
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2010 edited
    gone
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2010
    another one that should be in the FF

http://whatthemovie.com/shot/127993
    •  
      CommentAuthorCHILI
    i agree, that one is too beautiful to not be in the FF.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    we need a rule for this
    we are losing some beautiful shots
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    There are no rules needed! In fact, you people act like there is a rule that all title shots should be uploaded directly as a title shot, but this isn't true! Anyone can upload any title shot into NS/FF, and after 30 days assign it as a title shot to the movie. I really don't see your problem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfnick
    I'd like to have clear rules.

I don't care that much if there is one nice shot lesser uploadable in NS. But I do care about people taking a nice end-shot, uploading it and waiting until it might get deleted because there is no consens on what is a proper end-shot and what is not. You can't let people spend time on something and tell them afterwards what they did was wrong and it will be removed but that there is no rule they can follow to avoid this next time.

Some of my end-shots are last shots of the movie without text, too. I'm ok with them being deleted now if there is a clear rule stating a end-shot has to have some kind of text on it. But it's no fun to wait until someone likes the end-shot, wants to try it in NS and organized four friends to delete it (then I guess the inofficial rule would be like "Only upload ugly last shots." - very subjective)

So to ensure I won't upload end-shot that are legally deleteable anymore, I'd like to ask: which of the following are proper end-shots (especially 5-7)?

1) "the end"/"fin"/"to be continued"etc.
    2) (second occurrence of) the title of the movie
    3) "directed by.."
    4) "Asmodai went on to become the leader of the free world."
    I'd think it is up to the uploader to decide which one out of 1-4 fits best. Or is there a priority to follow within these? If none of the four above is available I think one may upload:
    5) "directed by.." from the start-credits (really not sure on that, but I saw some films recently where this would be the best option)
    6) end-credits rolling in the last shot or in some nice background-design
    7) end-credits rolling on black ground

Before I read the thread I thought it was ok to upload a last shot if there are no shots like 1-4.
    But if number 5-7 are fine there would be no need to upload a last shot without text, basically every movie has those. Especially No. 7 looks ugly, but that will just perfectly represent the end-titles of the movie then ;)

And regarding the Despicable Me shot .. there is a "directed by"-shot directly after that one in the movie, so it would even be wrong according to the old nonexisting rules :)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2010
    Well, 4 is the only proper one, of course.

And now serious, with my previous post I meant that there were no rules needed forcing people to upload "nice" end shots in NS. There are of course rules needed for what counts as a title shot. In my opinion these are:
    1,2,3,6,7. Your number 5 is no option in my opinion, the shot actually has to come from the end. I prefer to avoid 6 and 7 by taking the last shot before the rolling titles. Also, be aware that sometimes the title shot is at the end title, BUT you can't use this shot for both title as end title shot.
    • CommentAuthorTerry5
    What about this kind of ending shots,allowed or not ?

1. The Filmmakers wish to thank the people of.......

2. In loving memory of.....

3. This film is dedicated to......
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    I agree with Asmodai: 1, 2, 3, 6, 7 is fine by me too.
    @Terry5: to me, those are OK too, as long as they do come from the end.
    • CommentAuthordoooom
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2010 edited
    So you wouldn't say 4 is a propper end title? I always though shots that tell you what happend to the protagonists after the end of the film are obvious choices for end titles (at least if there's not shot of category 1 available). And there are already some shots of that kind assigned as end titles, like http://whatthemovie.com/shot/59246 or http://whatthemovie.com/shot/88673
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Ah, you mean those shots. Yeah, those are fine with me (you can see that I uploaded these shots ;))