Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorSzpulsky
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2011
    My ideas for the cotest:
    "Signs and roadsigns"
    "Well known movies - not obvious shots"
    specyfic colour shots, for example "Green Shots"
    "Phones"
    • CommentAuthoroldzia999
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2011
    Why don't we have a "Hands Up" contest?
    Snaps with guns, daggers, swords, knives, bows, pistols, rifles, shotguns, axes etc.
  1.  permalink
    And what about a Palahniuk's Rejected Snaps contest ?
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2011 edited
    Nesmrtelnost: TV series will have a page like movies have actually but with different informations (abstract, genre, network, opening credits instead of trailer, characters etc). No extra ressources needed
    • CommentAuthorpioa
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2011
    I've got this idea... we all have a lot of movies on DVDs, and some of this DVD has some specials features, deleted scenes, alternative endings and beginings and this kind of stuff... so how about contest with shots from special features.
    It seems hard because not everybody watched this kind of material, but some shots can be recognized even if you didn't watch the movie, so with the special features should be similar.
    • CommentAuthorLucidique
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2011
    i would like to have a contest with image sections bzw picture details of DVD Cover.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2011 edited
    We won't have a "special features" contest. Why? Because some special features are used for different movies. It would be a bloody mess.
    And DVD covers won't happen for the same reason.
    • CommentAuthorTerry5
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2011
    What about movie-mistakes ?

a Boom or shadow from a camera, camera reflection in a window, ........ > in the picture
  2.  permalink
    Great idea Terry!
  3.  permalink
    I would like to see a gore contest again! I didn't participate in the first one because I wasn't a member yet!
    I also like the easter egg/movie mistakes idea.
    Was thinking about sort of an 'emotions' contest. Like crying and laughing maybe?
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2011
    I like the movie-mistakes, but also would like a split-screen contest
    • CommentAuthorcrosbow
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2011 edited

• CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2011
    Documentaries are already accepted, as long as they are "feature movies".
    Shorts most probably will never be done. It would be impossible to moderate: too many shorts are not released on DVD, just uploaded on the web.
    • CommentAuthorWinterwolf
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2011 edited
    one suggestion for the procedure of this vault contests: now after a contest end, there are about 2-5 weeks in that nothing happens in the vault. And before you can upload a shot, there is now 1 week to look and choose shots. It's not the first time, i remember a nice shot too late. Many people have not every day much time left, to look and find a nice shot that fits in a especially theme. Maybe its better to announce a contest shortly after ending the last one and give the people more time to choose a shot.

Themes:
    - easter eggs
    - guns/weapons
    - strange animals/buildings/vehicles (things are not exist in real life)
    - hard shots of easy movies (maybe restriction more than 1000 votes on imdb)

What about short contests? From Friday 20:00 to Sunday 20:00, people can only upload 1 shot. Ok some people will miss maybe 1 of 5 contests, because he/she have no time at this weekend. But maybe we see new names in the Solvers Top 10.

And what about increase the Top 10 to Top 20/25? The number of players increased significant, but there is still a Top 10 like begin of WTM. Some people will never reach the Top 10. But its not that hard to reach Top 25 and many average player get a better chance to place her/his name in the Top List and get a small bounty. If you give 1 AU for place 11 to 25, it will not change much. Maybe decrease 1st place to 10 AU, second 7 AU, 3rd to 10th place no changes. Will be more fair.
  4.  permalink
    I agree with your top20/25 idea Winterwolf ! But I disagree that it's "not that hard to reach top25" lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2011
    My suggestion : any contest limited to 50 shots (by any mean including limiting 1 upload per player).

Contest time is a very very bad time for regular players with over capacity between each new shot.

Or alternatively find money to host the contests on a separate server...
  5.  permalink
    Yeah, I'm not that fond of crocodile either, and it's a regular thing during contests...Stop giving him chilis :)
    @theoffice911

to explain "not that hard to reach top25"

it belong to the sentence before! its easier to reach top 25 as to reach top 10
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    I went quickly through all the pages of this thread to get an idea of what's been discussed before.
    This is NOT an exact count. I did that fast, I don't have time to check. That's why I won't give you numbers.

But here are those that seem to be the "most wanted" themes:
    - Splitscreens
    - Nudity

Then, the popular ones:
    - Goofs/bloopers/mistakes
    - Heroes & villains
    - Hugs & kisses
    - Landscapes
    - Legs & feet
    - Music
    - Sex, drugs & rock'n'roll
    - Skylines
    - Toilets (and bathrooms?)
    - Transitions (Crossfades and other montage effects)
    - Underwater shots
    - Weapons

Then the ones with a few supporters:
    - 12 signs of the Zodiac
    - Art (famous works of art in movie shots)
    - Bring me up baby! (character carrying another one)
    - Bulbs, lamps & chandeliers
    - Cats & dogs
    - Children
    - Clocks & watches
    - Drugs
    - Face expressions
    - Falling
    - Four horsemen of the Apocalypse
    - Geometry
    - Hair/Crazy haistyles
    - Hearts (shape or organ)
    - Jewelry (aka Gold & diamonds)
    - Outer space
    - Penis
    - Phones
    - References of famous scenes of other movies
    - Seasons
    - Smoking in movies
    - Spirals & Labyrinths
    - Stairs
    - Symmetry
    - Tears
    - Toys
    - Voyeur
    - War
    - Watch out he's behind you!

Then the other ones:
    - Beards & mustaches
    - Benches
    - Birds
    - Bridges
    - Cameos by directors or other famous people
    - Clothes & shoes
    - Computers
    - Doors/Windows
    - Drawings & paintings in movies
    - Extreme close-ups
    - Face to face
    - Fires
    - Flags & banners
    - Floors & ceilings
    - Flying saucers
    - Fog/Mist
    - Graffiti/street art
    - Hiding
    - Lens flares
    - Life & death (births and funerals)
    - Lips
    - Money
    - Moon
    - Movie making
    - Mythology
    - People in strange positions (e.g. flying, falling, upside down...)
    - Police cars
    - Prom nights/Dances/Balls
    - Rainbow
    - Robots
    - Shower/rain
    - Sound sources (anything from jukebox, radio etc... might include or not phones, alarm clock)
    - Sports
    - Tattoos
    - Teeth/Fangs
    - Weddings
    - Westerns

I suggest the next contest is picked from the first 2 categories.
    • CommentAuthortoffetomas
    i must say i agree with winterwolf. I also mentioned before that i thought there should be a longer time between anouncing a contest and starting the contest. (exactly because this gives more time for uploaders to find better shots).

I think some shorter contest can be fun (but we also have the sidequest for it). I also had the idea of a speed contest, also already mentioned this before. Although my idea was a bit more extreme, like just 1 hour for solving.

I now came up with a bit different idea for a speed contest, to have a contest which you can win by being the one who is the fastest for having 25% of the solves, the fastest to have 50%, 75% and 100%. Its just an idea.

Also i think the number of awesome uploads for winning could be changed. Now i think theres no difference between a sidequest and a normal contest. But winning a normal contest (best rated shot) is much harder, cause there's much more shots. Also when you win a sidequest you didnt actually do much for it, you just have the luck someone picked a really nice shot of yours.
    With a big contest it would be nice to give 1 awesome upload to numbers 10-20 or something (and maybe a bit less to the first places), so exactly what winterwolf said..
    • CommentAuthorfabster
    As for the "themes" - I'd like it if we really went for a "theme" next time, not only for a "noun". Otherwise we'll just have a ton of boring ass shots of cars, animals, nude people, underwater scenes, hugs, legs and so on. You get the idea. I'd prefer a contest that is not only challenging for the solvers, but for the uploaders aswell.

"Transitions" sounds like a nice idea, but because of their nature it's impossible to capture anything apart from crossfades in just one frame, so we'd most likely miss out on some of the most amazing transitions.

Of the possible themes mentioned before, I'd personally be in favor of "movie mistakes". Pala made some nice suggestions a while back, too. I remember something like "Surprise! The best movie twists".
    • CommentAuthorquitproquo
    the only contest i thought were fun were: gore and the two draw the movies.
    i would love to have another draw the movie...

edit: not necessarily as the next contest. but a "draw the movie" again someday!
    • CommentAuthorbazzy3000
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2011
    i think the draw the movie is a tradition already, we probably can expect one somewhere between oktober and december again :)
    • CommentAuthorcinephil
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2011
    Nudity is cool. No landscapes please!!! My suggestion is "embarassing situations".
    • CommentAuthorJules5
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2011
    I'm also in favor of Winterwolf's suggestion - have a top 20 or top 25. :)
    • CommentAuthorJules5
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2011
    As for themes...how about a "make up contest". An interpretation of "make up" would be up to all uploaders...
    • CommentAuthorTor
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2011
    I would like to see a split screen or weapons contest, any ideas when the next one should be? :)
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2011
    Maybe at the end of August, to celebrate WTM's 3rd anniversary.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2011
    why not do something with the number 3

like for example 3 persons, 3 trees, 3 apples, 9 eyes, a threesome, etc.
    • CommentAuthorElinka
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2011
    @LordMyst: Draw The Movie 3 :)
  6.  permalink
    That's a great idea LordMyst, I second that.
    • CommentAuthorMallemout
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2011
    So many good suggestions came by but it has become awfully quiet on the vault front. Any news on when a new vault quest will be held and who is gonna host it? Maybe a poll to decide what's it gonna be and for how long?
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    Something is coming. You'll hear from Asmodai soon.
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    Can't wait!
    • CommentAuthorvendor
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2011 edited
    *spoiler removed*
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2011
    How curious. Not that it matters, in this case, but we'll check on it. Thanks for letting us know!
  7.  permalink
    So, will we have a Draw the Movie 3? The last one started on the 22nd of October if I'm not mistaken, more than a year ago... I know that with the Birthday Contests ending on the 17th, just 5 days would be way too close to start such a contest, for which we need time to plan and make our own shots, but it's been 20 days now...
    • CommentAuthorJules5
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012
    It'd be nice to have another contest coming up. There have been tons of suggestions and it feels like it's been ages since the last contest has ended...
    • CommentAuthordoooom
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012
    I agree. A new contest would be very nice.
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2012
    +1

and GI should be allowed for everyone on that one obviously

• CommentAuthorAsmodai
    What we can also do, is just only allow 10 votes and have Scruffy leave an unspoilered shout with the solution under every shot!
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    well come up with a more productive idea then asmo, you are the mod here :P

I think a contest with allowed GI could be fun (at least better than having none)...it also can be challenge then for the uploaders to search for challenging shots which can't be found with GI...the rules just have to be clear for everyone if it's allowed to use or not. But forbidding it wouldn't make any sense since you guys can't switch it off anyway it seems and so some users would use it anyway.

If you guys can't switch GI off, what will we do...just wait till forever...same as on new memos probably :P
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2012 edited
    My point is, what spoiled the fun of vaults (and WTM partly) for ME (as a player, not as a mod) is not just GI. What's even worse, imo:
    - People sharing solutions via email
    - People creating many new accounts to boost their rating
    - Groups of players boosting all each others shots
    - Bots to get as many solves or fs's as possible

EDIT: And I do not like you saying that we just wait forever on things, the complete staff and others work really hard to keep WtM as fun and refreshing as we can. Just that we don't tell you all about it, does not mean that things are not happening or changing behind the scenes.
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    yea that's true of course...but some of these things can't be prevented unfortunately like sharing solutions via e-mail or messanger etc. It was in the past vaults like this and will be in future as well. Should we let spoil our fun on here because of this? I say no! :)

About Groups of players who boosting each other shots that's something you can prevent as a Mod Team by handing out harder punishments for it (giving out faster voting bans than in the past to frighten people off). But I know it must be exhausting to search for such players, identify them and especially treat everyone equally in this.

But in general I think it is better not taking WTM too seriously and the competition on here, because WTM will never be 100% fair to everyone. Maybe we should try more to see how we all can have a bit more fun on here as a community...even if it's some stupid contest which is meaningless at the end. (maybe even without any AU reward)
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    and of course I appreciate all your work, I respect that very much that many people work for free here...but one of the things I never understand is why there is not much dialog with the community (because the community is actually the most important part of WTM...without community no WTM). Keeping everything so secret I'm not sure if that's the right way.

Another thing which I don't understand is why you guys seem not to want to accept any help out of the community, for example Pzy offering his help with the memos...he asked two times and he didn't even get a lousy answer (which is kinda disrespectful to him in my opinion). I don't think like this WTM can find any coder ever when someone offering his help doesn't even get some answer...(a simple yes or no would have been enough if he can help somehow or not)

But of course I take your words and wait for the refreshing things here to come very soon and I will be the first one to applaud and cheer then. :)
  8.  permalink
    a discussion if GI is allowed or not, is wasted time... if you can solve 75% of the shots with GI so all people have in 30 minutes 75% shots solved...

the solution is another way: people should check before uploading if its possible to solve a shot with GI. If there is no shot to solve with GI, there is no advantage...

of course the shots will be in the middle not as nice as before and the amount of boring shots will be increase, but better as solve stupidly tons of shots...

but i agree with Asmodai, in the last time playing wtm makes not that much fun. People sharing hints etc. to many things happens lately that annoy me
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    I disagree: better an easy but beautiful shot, than an ugly shot which can't be found with one search technique... This is also not what WTM is about, if you ask me: It's about the beauty of movies!
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2012 edited
    for me is WTM more like a quiz, especially the contests... of course nice shots will be always better as a boring shots, but if in a contest are to many shots solveable with GI i think i pass the next contest. And i think i check for non GI solveable Shots. For FF its to much work to look for it, i hope many other people will upload non GI solveable shots at the next contest.
    • CommentAuthorJules5
    I'm glad there are other people who'd like a new contest as well.

On another note, this whole discussion on GI is slightly redundant by now. Of course it is not fair using it but as it's been mentioned many other times, there are different ways of cheating and not all of these can be prevented. I personally believe that this is not one of the main reasons of why WTM has become less fun (I know, some might disagree but that's just how I feel). The contests are something to look forward to. I'd say I'm not the only person here who sees it that way. So, to cut a long story short, I agree that picking shots should not depend on whether or not they can be found using GI. Contests should be fun, so if you want to solve the cheating issue first, just have a contest without prizes for now - just for the fun of it.
    • CommentAuthorJules5
    Ok, as it seems you guys found a way of dealing with GI. Does that mean we can move to fun part now and have another contest? :)