Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.  permalink
    Any winners you didn't expect? Any losers you didn't expect? Any whining or praise you need to get off your chest? Do it here!

And most importantly, link me the list of winners because I'm too lazy to find it myself. :D

Edit: Right, I've unlazied myself, here's the list: http://oscar.go.com/oscar-night/winners

Personally, I can't say a lot about it, as I've only seen Up, Inglourious Basterds and part of District 9 out of all the films nominated. Good to see Christoph Waltz won Best Supporting Actor, but then again, there wasn't a lot of doubt about that to begin with.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2010
    nice to see a Star Trek movie getting an oscar :) and to see The Dude win a oscar

and thank god that Avatar didn't win best picture.
    • CommentAuthorstuken
    yeah you got the word for avatar :D but the hurtlocker? anyone seen it? saw it yesterday right before the oscars... and imho the nominations and awards are whole lotta undeserved -.- what a bad movie :( up or inglorious basterds should have get more if you ask me... well the oscars get worser from year to year :(
  2.  permalink
    I actually enjoyed "The Hurt Locker" I saw 6 months ago before the buzz. Kathryn's a very strong director (and she's beautiful!).
    "Avatar" is a great piece of work but hey! James already had his "Titanic" consecration.
    The Dude? Diserved it.
    Bullock? She's always playing the same role…
    "Up"? Masterpiece as usual from Pixar.
    "The Cove"? A must-see. A real horror movie. Unfortunately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    I think "Un prophète" deserved the oscar of the best foreign language film. The last french movie awarded is still "Indochine" (1993), and it is quite a bad movie :(
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    Apperently the best French cinema has to offer ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    stuken, I totally agree.
    I honestly don't understand the buzz with hurt locker..

It is such a blatant, one dimensional, cliché overburden and unrealistic flick,
    the more I think about it the less I like it.
  3.  permalink
    I haven't seen the flick in question, but Sandra Bullock has always struck me as one of the more overrated actresses in Hollywood. She may not be bad per se, but she's never peaked at more than "mediocre to fairly good" for me. Not Oscar material, in my not so humble opinion.
    • CommentAuthorLeonardoS
    I really like that Avatar didn't win! :D
    Love that Christoph Waltz won ! But i think Inglourious Basterds should get more.
    Think the 2 oscars of Up was deserved, and think should get more too.
    Really liked that Star Trek won an oscar!
    I didn't watched the Hurt Locker and others movies.
    And it would be nice if Colin Firth won it.
    • CommentAuthorjoma
    All hail the Dude! Wait, that was something else... Anyway, finally an oscar for Jeff Bridges.
    Can anyway explain to me what all the fuss about the fat black kid is? Have only seen the trailer but that looked awful. And what the hell is an apostrophe doing in the name Monique???
    Was kind of surprised/relieved that Avatar didn't win it all. Have not seen the Hurt locker so I can't tell if it desevers it.

Best part of the night was Ben Stillers Makup presentation but all in all it wasn't worth staying up until 6 am...
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Sign me up to the "don't know what all the fuss is about with Hurt Locker" club. I guess it *was* well directed so I can't take that away from Ms Bigelow, but Basterds should have walked away with Best Original Screenplay - big disappointment in that category. I can see why it didnt take any other awards, but it definitely deserved that one.

And I second efji - Un prophète should have taken best foreign language film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2010 edited
    I also liked the part where Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin spoofed "Paranormal Activity" hilarious moment! I thought it was an okay night, but it's also the first time I see the full length show live.

I liked "The Hurt Locker" very much, one of the best movies I have seen for years and it fully deserved the 6 Oscars, but I think it's a shame that "Up in the Air" didn't win anything. Many of the Oscar winners where really predictable and it was good that "Avatar" only won technical prices, it doesn't deserve more.

@joma: I don't get the fuss about Precious, it didn't make me feel anything special, and the story is ordinary (maybe a taboo). But Monique played her role very well and I think it was deserved that she won an oscar. Didn't like the way of acting though, but it is not my kind of movie.

Edit: And I really hated to see some Twilight kids, Hannah Montanta basterds and HIgh School fucking musical people on the stage, it made me sick.
    • CommentAuthorRenko
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2010 edited
    I didn't see all nominated movies, especially hurt locker, but i think most decisions are at least comprehensible.

Christoph Waltz and Jeff Bridges really deserved the oscars, and i think it's right that avatar didn't win best picture! (i really like avatar, in 3d cinema it was just "wow", but the story, the acting etc ... it was nothing special imo, the movie works "just" about the technique and art -> so art direction, cinematography and visual effects are enough ;) )

But i think Inglourious Basterds deserved a "movie oscar", not just for an actor, director or writing for example ;)
    I'm also a bit sad that coraline didn't win - up is great - but i enjoyed coraline much more.
    And i really thought that Carey Mulligan had a change, i didn't see the movie with sandra bullock, but Carey was really awesome in an education! I think she deserved an oscar too ;)
    • CommentAuthoricemotion
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
    I think Inglourious Basterds only won as few Oscars as it did because it's, despite being American made a very European movie. And well the Hurt Locker is about "The boys" overseas which are all heroes so hey we should give a big bunch to that movie. But IMO too many of the Oscars went to the Hurt Locker.. there were a lot more great movies out there last year.
    • CommentAuthorfabster
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2010 edited
    I think Best Cinematography for AVATAR is a joke. After all, they were just filming greenscreens. I thought that DAS WEIßE BAND was far superior.

As for THE HURT LOCKER: I thought it was a decent movie, but definitely not worth 6 Oscars. Especially not Best Picture.
    • CommentAuthorcastaka
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2010
    Well I also didn't see all of the movies, I did see the Blind Side and loved Sandra Bullock. I thought she was really good actually. But to me it's like for Julia Roberts in Erin Brokovich, it's not because it doesn't involve a huge scenario and plot that there is no performance.

About the Hurtlocker I am torn, there are beautiful images and so I think she did direct it really well. Best movie is definitely too much in my opinion, and best scenario video extract was hilarious to me cause really not showing anything interesting...
    And I'm happy for the guys, Christopher Waltz and Jeff Bridges were really good !
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010
    fabster: check out this short making of Avatar

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=7c4kNLz_4E8&feature=related

aprox. 6 minutes in they describe cinematography—Cameron and his team really furthered these kinds of technologies.
    Just because they never left their cozy lot doesn’t mean there’s no great camera work ;)
    • CommentAuthorfabster
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010 edited
    Yeah, I was aware of that. But maybe I should've gotten more into detail: AVATAR's cinematography is more of a technological breakthrough for me, not a cinematic one. They should probably be given the Academy's Technical Achievement Award, but "Best Cinematography" is more of an "art thing" for me. And in that respect I thought that Christian Berger's camerawork felt more "true". He achieves a lot by basically doing very little.