Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2010 edited
    What is with all the character shots in NS lately? Straight-forward character shots are boring and no challenge, and usually uninteresting to look at (with some exceptions admittedly) .

Naut and tliff created the "characters" section of the movie pages to try and stop this, but it seems worse than ever. I don't mind some easy snapshots, but posting a straight headshot of a main character/famous actor from a mainstream popular film is about as challenging and entertaining as posting the film name itself. They get an automatic 1 from me from now on.

The character upload option is there, use it.

EDIT: to clarify, I'm talking mostly about straightforward bland headshots of actors.
  1.  permalink
    Straight character shots lack character.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2010
    I agree with them00ch, and unless there is something special about them, I really dont see the point, since most likelly they wont make it to the FF...
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    They will, Chrisy, that is the problem. Post a pic of Leonides shouting "This is Sparta!", and it will go on. Pic of Jack Sparrow, same problem, and you can keep going with this.
    I totally agree, put those shots in character uploads.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    Then you can just use some Awesome uploads on character shots instead: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/69503 and http://whatthemovie.com/shot/69505 :D! I like...
    I don't think that character shots is a problem in NS, because then everyone else have a better chance to get their shots through to FF ;)!
  2.  permalink
    I agree with them00ch completely...after all there is a famous line: "Do not rate the movie. Rate the awesomeness of the snapshot." What's so awesome about a plain mugshot!?
    @Asmodai, know exactly what you mean and i HATE that
  3.  permalink
    Well, I partially disagree with you folks. First, because I don't think when one uploads a shot of a film character, he/she's always just trying to make it go through - I really think that many times the person conects the way a character appears in that specific scene with the whole movie, or some particular expression of action of that character in that frame. And second, because well, not everyone is a movie expert and all those who are not would still like to look to a frame and think "oh! I know what it is!", so I don't think it's some sort of federal crime having those easy and boring shots along others that are really awesome. Saying for myself, I wasn't that sharp on solving things when I started playing here (still am not, but that's not the case) and it's really, REALLY frustrating when you can't figure anything, even when you know you saw that somewhere, because it's some detail you didn't pay that much atention among the plot, no matter how beautiful the shot might be.
    Of course, there are things really annoying too - when it's just the actor/actress face without any expression or interesting detail in the figure. Thing is, that doesn't happen aaaaall the time. Just sometimes =P
    •  
      CommentAuthorKeyser_Soze
    Yes but then again, when you see a famous character's face and you don't know the movie, you can just take a stroll on imdb and find the title. Where's the fun in that? And when you say that "person connects the way a character appears in that specific scene with the whole movie" - if i don't know the movie that means nothing to me. We had the same problem in Seven Deadly Sins and Seven Holy Virtues - e.g. a mugshot with comment: his character is so greedy in this movie. Again if i don't know the movie i can't see that. If character have some expression like for instance http://whatthemovie.com/shot/68779, or there is some "twist" in the shot, well that's ok with me. And for the end I just like to say that there's no point having a character upload, which is a great feature in my opinion, if we upload character shots in NS. But that's just my opinion so...
  4.  permalink
    Does this also count for all those 'Terminator' shots?
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    @sunsetwalker : yeah. I don't have a problem with easy shots at all, like I said in my first post. A balance between hard and good shots is needed, we do not disagree on that point.

But this is what I'm talking about, (and I hate using an example and calling someone out like this - apologies Lennyart if you read this)

No challenge, nothing interesting about the shot. Does not belong in the quiz section, but would make an OK character shot. And this isn't the only one, there are at least 5 in NS at the moment, possibly more. I really wouldn't care if people wanted to post these shots, but the annoying thing is, they *often* make it to FF! People vote highly for them.

The example you posted is fine, the over the top expression and framing of the shot is fairly interesting (plus I have no idea what it is :) ). I guess I am really talking about headshots of famous actors instead of just character shots. Some character shots can be very interesting.
  5.  permalink
    I don't really see what the problem is. Ever since I joined WTM, there's been tons of these kind of shots (mostly Johnny Depp though) and it's never been a problem. But now, after some people coincidentally upload a couple of mugshots quite soon after one another, there's an uproar of sorts.
    I know I'm one of the guilty uploaders with my shot (69268), but I chose this shot for a couple of reasons; it's the first time we see the character's face, and he never actually changes his facial expression (except for when he's yelling, of course), which I find hilarious. Honestly, that shot makes me giggle every time I see it. I can understand how some people feel it's too easy, and I understand the whole thing about why there's a character-page, but I don't get all the fuss about these kind of shots all of a sudden. I don't have a problem with easy mugshots, I just fill in the title, hit enter and that's it. As far as I'm aware, there's no rule that says 'Make sure there's no familiar face in the shot' or something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010 edited
    @freudianspud

It isn't all of a sudden, shots of characters faces have always been considered boring by many people right the way back to WTM1. It's one of the main reasons why the character section was added. It just seems to be on the increase again. There have been multiple threads about it before: eg: this one from June last year http://forum.whatthemovie.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=349&page=1 . So its not a new thing all of a sudden.

Don't know if anyone remembers, but a few weeks back someone posted a title shot of Alien Ressurection in FF using an AU, their reasoning being that it looked cool, and was from the directors cut or something, so looked different to normal. That may be true, and it did look cool, but it still had the words "ALIEN RESURRECTION" all over the shot. It was deleted, because there was nothing to solve, the answer was written on the shot. This is a quiz after all. Faceshots of famous actors from huge mainstream movies aren't that much better.

This is all my own personal opinion, but I am sure I'm not the only one to feel this way, even if I am the only one vocalising it. I also would hardly call this an "uproar" ; a rant by me maybe ;)
    • CommentAuthorViolentCop
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010
    Am I concerned with http://whatthemovie.com/shot/69173 ?!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    No-one has any need to be concerned with anything! :) No-one is breaking any rules by posting headshots
  6.  permalink
    Since I've only been a member for two months, I wasn't around for the earlier debate. I agree on some parts, for example the title shots that just have the name of the film right there, but I still think the same way about mugshots. I'm not saying all of them are good shots, but I'm not saying they're all bad shots either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    Well, David Caruso should be banned from movies anyways IMO. And television series.
    • CommentAuthorViolentCop
    He is great in this movie...
    • CommentAuthorSika
    If you want people not to vote for the awesomeness of the shot, maybe you should change the tooltip.
    "Vote for the cleverness of the shot..." or something like that. Aragorn is awesome. I suggest you explain to the voters what is your particular definition of "awesome".
    People will vote for pretty blueray shots from visually attractive movies because you told them to.

As for the characters section, I thought that's just for convenience, to give people more info about a movie. I see nothing wrong with having an easy but awesome character snapshot in FF and later assigning it to the character.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Sika, I'm flattered really, but I think you might overestimate what powers and influence I have :) I'm a user like you, and I just think these shots are boring thats all, and better suited as "character" shots.

"Awesome" is completely subjective of course. If you think an straight headshot of a character is awesome, you are free to vote however you like, just as I will vote a 1 for any shots like that. It sounds to me though like you are voting based on the character in the movie (ie. "Aragorn is awesome") , rather than the shot itself.

It's all a matter of taste I guess. I just wanted to have a rant in the forum that these shots suck imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    I second your rant mooch
  7.  permalink
    Ideally, there'd be something that wipes people's minds just before they rate a shot, so their judgement is truly impartial and objective, and then restores the mind once that's done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    a vulcan mind melt kind of thing?
    • CommentAuthorSika
    Sorry, I mean to say "this particular shot of Aragorn is awesome". Well... not awesome, but not 1/10... At least 5/10. Since you know the movie and the shot is obvious to you, you'll vote it 1/10. That's biased (unless you really dislike all those shots equally).
    Facial expressions alone can be really interesting (pspan's Strangelove avatar, for example). If you saw that before the movie, you'd probably be intrigued and would want to see the movie.

So far my votes were based largely on perceived visual awesomeness because I thought that was expected. For example, I would rate #24 7/10 because it is brilliant shot, but really ugly (and low quality).
    We should all agree on some criteria and make someone (with enough influence :) put some guidelines in FAQ.
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    @ Sika, rating your shots on visual awesomeness is exactly what is "expected."

I have to agree with themooch and pspan. If it's just headshot of an actor, i also give the still a 1. A 2 as max.
    I think it's kind of a shame to let the face shots go through, and let a (in my opinion ofcourse) better shot get rejected, just because it's harder.
    Nothing wrong with easy stills, but after seeing the 50th JDepp shot, i get kinda tired of him. Be it as Jack Sparrow, or any other character.

The site seems to be extremely slow today, anyone else got that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    I absolutely think that some shots of characters is nice, but most of them are boring, I have uploaded one myself right now, wups :P! #69668
    • CommentAuthoricemotion
    The problem with a game like this is that you won't be able to appeal to everyone all the time. For more casual players it's nice to have some character shots which they can solve. Other people think shots with some obscure detail are amazing shots.

It all depends.. as I've read here for more mainstream movies try and pick a more difficult shot, for lesser known movies pick an easier one.

Complaining generally won't solve anything unless all we get are boring shots.. but if that were the case people would stop playing. And we're all still here.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    I also give a 1 to all the boring headshots
    but if someone wants to upload a character shot I think let them
    the problem is the voters

the majority vote high for the character shots
    and you cant do anything about it

we already have this discussion
    its too bad , just live with it and go on
  8.  permalink
    Dear Them00ch and others,

I agree with you on the fact that 'boring' character shots are no good and don't add anything to the quiz-value of WTM. Anyhow, IMO, these shots can not be banned by adding a 'character section', just because a (more) tedious debate will arise on the definition of a 'character shot'. (Ok, about -for example- the shot of Aragorn, there is no point to be made...) Personally, I think that some characters really define a movie. Yes, we do not 'need' more shots of Beatrix Kiddo, Neo or Gandalf, but if you want to add a character section, every shot with a person in it can be added to this section, also the 'better' ones.
    With the 'better' ones, I mean the ones with a 'twist' or something to it, something different that depicts the movie.

I agree with Freudianspud on this point: sometimes a mugshot is cool because of the great acting, the great moment, a joke or even a complete 'style' of movie-making. (Look at 'Once upon a time in the West': most of the 'ordinary' Wild West scenery I find dull, but the fullscreen mugshots, for me, really depict the movie and I think they're awesome... Not ten of them, but still... ;))

Sometimes a shot just isn't that cinematic interesting, but yet I vote highly for it, because of the 'background': the submitter really thought about the 'moment' and that's what makes the shot 'cool'. Off course, this is easier for movies you have seen. (I mean, if you've seen the movie, you can't 'unsee' it ;)) The others I try to vote for in terms of 'spoilers','dullness' or 'awesomeness' but almost never on 'easyness', rather on simple-minded 'do-I-like-the-picture'. I think that's the way to vote; in this way, I would give the Aragorn shot a 5 or 6/10 maybe, just because I like his expression, but the shot could use something 'more'.

To conclude: yes, Them00ch, maybe these shots are too easy, therefore boring and could be added to a different section, but no, I really don't think that would solve the problem and also these shots aren't all that bad. (Otherwise we could also start discussions on the 100th Shrek-shot and things like that.) Just vote 1/10 if you think it's a real stupid shot (yes, the alien ressurection-thing :P) and leave the others be. I think there's a nice balance between easy and hard shots.
    'Tricky' shots are always a lot nicer, but well, we can't have everything, so just leave it and let it balance out itself. (Agreed, LordMyst)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010 edited
    I think the problem is not that character shots are too easy, but that they are often really boring. But it's indeed hard to define. The really bad shots imho are the ones where you easily can recognise the actor, but has no key element of the movie or any real clue.

Better are the ones where you can at least recognise the character thanks to clothing, make-up etc.

(Yes, I'm guilty too ;) )

And still, some character shot are just awesome, because the scene in the movie is really memorable or there's just something special about it.

Still, If a shot is great can sometimes hardly be defined. I personally love

10/10 for me, but why? I love the setting, the movie, the character and I think it's a great shot. But well... It is a character shot. Therefore I think we should just accept these shots and accept sometimes a mediocre one makes it to the FF. We can't decide on our own if a shot is awesome enough or not, it's still a democratic matter. Of course anyone is free to rate low, if he or she doesn't like it.

(As I said before it's all a matter of taste, I don't want to offend anyone, but this is how I think about it)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010
    You have nailed my feelings exactly Zythux. I don't mind easy shots, in fact I have been a defender of them on many occasions http://whatthemovie.com/shot/28525 . However they have to be interesting to look at.

All of the 2nd section you posted Zythux are fine by me, they have something about them. The first section are dull dull dull, with possible exception of

Easy shot = fine
    easy AND boring faceshot should be a characte shot.

That being said, I have had my rant now, I feel better getting this off my chest even if people disagree :)
  9.  permalink

That's not really fair to use for an example though, it's part of a series whose whole idea is that it's a bunch of villain mugshots. So it's easy, but it's a bit of tribute rather than an addition to the quiz.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010
    Ah yes, you're right about that one. I checked some blockbuster movies for possible examples and forgot about that series, I'll take it out ;)
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010
    On a side note: please dont think you can dump all your bad quality character shots in the character sections without them been checked. Just deleted 10 in a row of bad quality fully artefacted shots... Just thought I'd mention it :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    "dump all your bad quality character shots "?? Wow what a nice respect you are showing for people who - took a shot, uploaded it and contribueted to the site. I'm done uploading anything and I'm deleting my reviews. feel free to say I dumped rest of the shots you didn't deleted yet, please! :D
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010 edited
    Sati the rule says it clear: we dont accept low quality shots, your shots were very bad quality and not taken from dvd (Twilight a movie of 2009 come on!) therefore they get deleted, this is that simple and it should be no surprises to you, if it is you should have read the uploading rules
    rip of of dvds are also deleted from the new submission for the same reason, the character section is no difference
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    are you saying New Moon is not yet on Dvd? Because if you are saying this....they released it a week ago, I think.
    You didn't need to use phrase 'dump', but if that's how you talk, well, it's not my place to teach you manners. Anyways, since clearly my shots are not good enough for you, I think this site is not good enough for my reviews. I'm gonna stick to solving now.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010 edited
    I didn't mean to sound rude, it was more said in the fun way and it is true with a bit of annoyement too of seeing all these bad quality shots
    And I'm not saying it wasn't out on dvd, I said your shots were not taken from dvd and that I'm pretty sure of.
    This is nothing new and we've said it many times before

The 5 Golden Rules of Uploading
    2. Use the original DVD to take the Snapshot; We won't accept low quality!

End of story!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    "pretty sure of" - well I hope you are pretty sure of many things 'cause this will get you far.
    end of story indeed, bye bye.
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    I have no problem with my character shots being deleted (6 of them have been deleted 30 minutes ago). I apologize for the bad quality and am aware of the uploading rules. I'm just sad that I won't be the one to upload character shots from Across the Universe, but it doesn't matter, I will still continue with other uploads. No hard feelings Chrisy.
  10.  permalink
    I may be out of line cause this is not my discussion, but for god sake @sati, show a little respect. Rules apply to everyone, and you are not exception. We all get frustrated from time to time but this...and you are only 2 months on wtm. Now that being said, i'm satisfied
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2010
    agree
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    hear hear
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2010 edited
    Well all I have to say to this is one thing... or maybe two ;D
    First I still work my way through the FF and I really can't believe how many Pirates shots are in there aswell as some other movies.... it really annoyes me to go through that section and see the same movies over and over again (and lots of them were simply just nothing special at all... just character shots) And some people already know my opinion about that... I vote them down, if there is nothing special about them, like lighting, gradin, shadows, expression, atmosphere etc... a good shot for me always needs to have something (no matter if its a closeup or not) ;)
    And I have the feeling, with the growing community the people see one movie in de NS and think, I have that one too and it ends up in 30 people or more who all just wait to upload a shot from the same movie... and this ends in 30 weeks in a row one of them uploads a shot of the same movie... because there really are movies (not even just the new ones) which get repeatet on and on... kind of boring somehow ^^
    The problem I see in this and the reason why I think there are more and more character shots is one reason... at one point all good scenes and shots of a movie have already been uploaded, but lets say there are still persons willing to upload a shot of that movie, they have not much left, what is special, so they end up taking character shots, because there isn't much more (instead of maybe thinking about another movie, which is not so often in the FF and take a better shot of that one)
  11.  permalink
    I've noticed that repeating thing as well, there's a couple of movies that seem to show up more than others, PotC and LotR bwing two of the most obvious examples. Gave me an idea, I'll post it in the suggestion thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    Ok stuff been said, stones were thrown - I made a mistake in feeling insulted but I really am doing my best to be a good WTM user. We had a talk with Chrisy and no hard feelings, the matter is over. I decided to put some of my work back on the site and maybe when I learn to take better quality shots I will upload again. I just wish moderators realize that people certainly don't upload bad quality snapshots to piss them off, I really believed what I uploaded to be in a very good quality. So I will probably do this again, but still - not with the intention to clutter the site or piss anyone off and give them extra work to do :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    good for you, great to hear!
  12.  permalink
    Glad you're not going anywhere, sati =) I think we can always manage these things and get better.
    About the repetition thing, I don't really mind some movies showing up more than others for many reasons: 1) blockbuster movies often have a good photography director, which provides us more good images, 2) more people watch them, they have more fans, and then, of course, there will be more uploads, 3) and as each person can only upload 2 things from the same movie, we can never get all our fave shots from a movie ourselves, so someone else has to upload the rest =)
    But I don't think movies like LotR or PotC or Hellboy, Sin City and such get more character uploads because we've got all the good things already. I mean, how many frames there are in a movie like this? All those details that last less than a second in screen, all the movement, the shadowing. Nup, I think it'll take more from us to get them done ;) I just think people should choose better what they want to express from a certain scene. Even when we do our best it can be blasted. I'm not a great uploader or anything, but I do try to get good colours and good shadows and movement and the shots still don't look that awesome xD so people should just not be that careless, I guess.
    And yea, I know I write too much for nothing. Sorry guys =X
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomBeeBob
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2010 edited
    One thing I don't get is why people have to write stuff like "Boring", "is character shot, should be deleted from vault", "hate this shot", "ugh another one of these" and stuff like that on shots they don't like. (The reason I post it here is that lately I have seen a lot of these on character shoots).

I think it's okay not to like a shoot, but I don't go and write these kind of things on shoots that I don't think are that good. Instead I give them a low rating and I move on to the next shoot.
    It's not a big problem, but sometimes when you think you have uploaded a great snapshot and all you get is negative comments on the shoot, it kind of spoil the fun of uploading snapshots.
    The way I see it is we all upload shoots that we personally think is good and that they (maybe) "mean" something to us as individuals.

My personal rule is "Do I have something positive to say, I say it to everybody. Do I have something negative to say, I keep it to my self"

I understand that the majority here would like the Character shoots to be added to the character page instead, but how many of us do browse around in the character section on a daily basis? So my point it that fewer people would see the shoot.

But I will try and post (most of) my character shoots on the character page from now on. :-)
  13.  permalink
    @ZomBeeBob agree...and like the rule ;)
  14.  permalink
    @ZomBeeBob
    That's basically my rule as well. Keep quiet if you ain't got anything useful to say.

As for the repeated shots, it's not that I mind shots from the same film every once in a while, but like it is with Pirates for example, they're not always as creative. After having seen twelve different angles of Jack Sparrow, it kind of gets old. Same for Aragorn, Harry Pitter, etc. That's basically what I meant.