Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2010 edited
    Sry if there is already a thread with that theme, couldn't find one though.
    I've voted for deletion on this shot http://whatthemovie.com/shot/72686#.
    Now someone has removed that without saying why.
    Before I vote again for deletion I would like to know, do you guys think this is a good quality shot? I mean honestly, it's very pixelated, isn't it?
    • CommentAuthorfabster
    i agree. lotta artefacts. but it'll probably not get through anyway. ^^
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2010
    @ phoenix, the shots seems to be down already
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    Ah well, very good, but I really have to say, shouldn't be like this, that someone removes a vote for deletion without even telling why (especially, when the vote is justified).
    It's kind of a "misuse" of the "power" some people have, I think.
    I've been wondering about that lately anyway. Shots get deleted because of black bars (when these black bars are really small, where I think, maybe not the best but it could pass through, it's ok)... all in all the behaviour in the community seems kind of changed (I don't mean all, just more the "new" people). Kind of sad...
  1.  permalink
    I remove deletion votes occasionally (Not in this case though) when people vote to delete for bad quality when it's just blurry through speed or because it's an old film. What mostly pisses me off is the inconsistency, I've seen perfectly good shots get nuked for alleged bad quality, and I've seen blatant shitty DIVX shots get through to FF without a hitch. That's just me though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorenerg
    Hmm, I think you should delete-vote shots that are of bad quality, but when a movie is a little bit older the quality of the shots are lower. But I agree with you guys, sometimes there is to much inconsistency, also with black bars.. I can show you a couple of shots that has bb and which are in the FF.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    @OhLookBirdies, I'd be interested to see which shots you think got rejected while it wasn't bad quality. I so far agree with all the ones I see daily in the deleting queue ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010 edited
    @OhLookBirdies : If a movie is older than I know that the quality isn't as good as a new one and I'm always very careful with the vote for deletion button and I always try to be fair (and I think until now I've never used the button unjustified) ... and if I'm not sure, because I don't know the movie for example, I always ask here in the forum first, before I vote.
    But my point just simply was, doesn't matter why someone removes a vote for deletion, since the others can't see who removed it or why, this person should at least leave a shout on the shot or the profile of the one who voted for deletion, why he/she removed the vote.
    That's only just fair in my opinion ;)
    If I wouldn't have checked on that shot again, I wouldn't even have recognized that my vote got removed ... that's what I meant with unfair behaviour.

EDIT: And I just want to say, if it ever should happen that my vote for deletion isn't justified and someone removes it, I'm absolutely ok with that and it's no problem at all for me... as long as this person explains to me why it was done. I have no problem with admitting that I was wrong ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2010
    okay, this is not low quality, but i think this is horizontally squeezed. Don't know the movie, so can't say if it is intended or not.
    What does the rest think?
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/73265
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2010
    agree
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010
    It *is* squeezed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    I'm not even touching that thread :lol:
    • CommentAuthorhanske84
    good thread, cause I also made a vote-deletion, but that was not because of bad quality. this shot had black bars #73373 and now I don't want to be stepping on anybody's toes, but if a shot has black bars it has to be removed, even if the black bars aren't that big or something like that. but after I made my vote-deletion 2 more WTM-players also made their vote-deletion on the same shot, but when I checked the shot again to see if it had been deleted allready all 3 vote-deletions had been removed and I'm pretty sure it was done by 1 and the same person. and in my opinion this isn't fair, cause 3 players vote for deletion and 1 player can remove all these deletion votes..... I think there should be a new rule on WTM that makes sure that a PM or higher ranked player can only remove 1 deletion vote at a time on 1 shot and not all the votes on the same shot!

what do you think?

cheers, Hanske
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    I do not agree, agree with your vote and I voted too, Poster is able to remove votes so maybe he did it, not pointing any fingers though.
    Why should you delete such a vote? That;s the system if 5 people think it should be deleted you just have to remove the black bars...
    At least comment why you deleted a vote
    • CommentAuthorhanske84
    @rulo

yeah, but if somebody places a deletion-vote and 2 other players do the same but they don't bookmark the shot, th shot-poster can remove their votes and keep his shot in the running while it is breaking the rules with his black bars..... that's what I am trying to point out, there should be a system that guarantees that the shot-poster and all players with PM or higher ranking can only remove 1 deletion-vote on every shot and not all the votes that have been made on 1 shot.

but that's just my opinion....
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    Yeah I understand your point, however when there are for example 2 nonsense-votes the poster is not able to delete them.
    Maybe your idea is not that bad at all, since if you encounter the example above you can also contact a mod...

Actually great idea the more i start to think about it:D
    • CommentAuthorhanske84
    @rulo

•  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Hey guys. Maybe you could read the faq and the (long) thread "black bar hilarity" on the forum before claiming that the *huge* bb of #73373 deserve a vote deletion. Of course #73373 has no intrusive bb justifying a deletion. Otherwise you could delete half of the shots in the archive. Maybe understand why the black bars rule has been set could be useful before trying to apply it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    I just removed 3 bb deletion votes on #73477
    Are you crazy ???
    •  
      CommentAuthorkkumendes
    @efji I think the same thing about #73373. I removed the deletion votes cause there are other shots of the same movie with this small black bars, they are not annoying.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    I completely agree here, have been noticing that people started voting delete for tiny black bars. So let me make it clear again:
    ONLY vote delete if the black bars are HUGE! If there are 3 pixels on each side that are still black, it can have many reasons that are not the uploaders fault, and may not be avoidable. So please, only vote if you think the black bars are destroying the picture!
    http://siboul.free.fr/wtm/red-index.html <-- read especially the part that says "But sometimes it may be not worth it..."
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    However how much work is it for the uploader to cut the shot a little.
    Doesn't seem that hard to me...
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    As I said, sometimes the shot is/looks cropped fine to the uploader, but due to various reasons that I don't know it still gets a few black pixels in the WTM frame. I do not know how/where it happens, but it happens, I've had it happens to shots of myself, and seen it with others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    yes
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    ok, I won't post the snapshots of this movie then.
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    thank you
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    No problem :)
    • CommentAuthorhanske84
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2010
    @efji @kkumendes @asmodai

my position in this discussion is not really about the black bars, it's more that if you get to a rank of PM or higher you have the ability to remove deletion-votes as many as you want..... and in my opinion you can't justify your removel from 3 deletion-votes on your own of 3 other players cause then you use your "power" to protect the shot while 3 other players say a deletion is ok.... it's not fair if it's a 3 to 1 situation, cause every player has the same rights and I just think that it's not realistic to delete 3 votes of 3 different players if it's done by just 1 other player, it's only realistic if this get's done by 3 other different players cause then the game is fair and in balance.

but this is just my point of view :)
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    to chip in my few cents:

I am a big believer in stuff that works.

So far, the system "PM vs 3 vote-deleters" like hanske states worked out quite good.
    I’m completely on the same page, I would also have removed the vote deletes, because
    the bars are so tiny.

The obvious intention was that a PM has been around long enough to make a justified decision,
    and the "outruling" 3 vs 1 is intended.

But we have to make it somewhat clearer, maybe put the name of the person who deleted the votes
    right in the box.
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    i don't know if it's possible, but perhaps it's an idea to "force" (by lack of a better translation) someone who deletes a vote delete to put up a shout saying why the person deleted the deletion votes. That way, people can still delete 3 (or 4/5) deletion votes, but they have to justify their decision in a shout.
    My two cents
    •  
      CommentAuthorkkumendes
    Ok I put in this forum why I removed the deletion votes then I didn't in #73373 but from now I'll put a shout to justify if I have to remove a deletion vote. But @hanske84 it's not about power it's about if a delete vote is fair or not, in that case it wasn't, so I removed them. I respect your point of view, it's important to say what you think and here like you I'm playing following the rules. :D
    • CommentAuthorhanske84
    @kkumendes
    thanks, I respect a comment like that and I especially respect a player like yourself :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    @ naut and forerunner
    That's exactly what I thought, something like the vote for deletion, just the other way around ;) with leaving a shout.
    • CommentAuthorWinterwolf
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2010
    @naut/forerunner/phoenix

the idea is not bad, but what happens if someone shout only 1 Letter or only . - etc? And if i vote for deletion i don´t bookmark the shot or look some time later what happen with the shot. I have no time left for this.

In my opion this is better: if someone start a vote for deletion, people can vote against the deletion (and write down why they are against the deletion). If some people vote against the deletion, then more than 5 votes for deletion are needed to delete the shot. So nobody must bookmark the shot or look later again what happened with his vote.

One Example: some open with Cause: Bad Quality. Next one see this, vote against and leave a message: very old movie. So all next who click on the deletion-button can read the messages for/against which people left before and can vote after reading this. After voting you can click the next shot und can forget this shot, your vote is unremovable count.
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2010
    @winterwolf
    i don't really understand what you mean with "And if i vote for deletion i don´t bookmark the shot or look some time later what happen with the shot. I have no time left for this."
    What I meant is that as soon as someone votes for deletion they get a sort of pop-up if you will, in wich they have to give a reason for deleting the votes. Same as that you have to give a deletion vote a reason. No given reason= no deleting the votes. And you don't have to go back to the shots afterwards, you can just let the rest of the community work it out.
    • CommentAuthorRenko
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2010 edited
    edit: no delete button? did something wrong while tab browsing *doh* :d
    • CommentAuthorWinterwolf
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010
    @forerunner

my mistake... 1 forgot another poster (hanske84). Read his comment, i want to say its not necassary to bookmark a shot with deletion vote, because nobody can remove your vote. Thats an advantage of my suggestion.

no reason = no deleting the votes is good, but what is if someone type only a letter oder a sign like . - ? You don´t know more than now, you only know the person, not the reason

I think its better you make your vote and can forget the shot (because your vote is not removable from other user) as you have to a look perhaps someone or why someone remove it later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorenerg
    @Winterwolf: If a PM deletes a vote-delete and leaves only one letter in a shout you can always use the "this shout is crap" button. But I really don't think that's going to happen.

As for the whole black bars discussion, I personally think that a shot is so much better without any black bars. I will not vote a delete anymore for these shots, but I want to ask some of the uploaders to just remove them (just like Rulo said, it's not that much work).
    • CommentAuthordekolta
    It's indeed not that much work, and I don't know where to put this, but for some it's maybe a little more difficult.
    As more than 90% of the people have a Windows PC (and probably also Office), here a little tutorial for the ones that don't know it that easily:

So, if you have Office on your pc (version 2003 or later).

You can open an image in Office Picture Manager (easiest way is by just clicking right on the image file).
    Then click Edit Pictures...
    Then click crop.
    Take one of the sides and slide it to where you want.
    Don't forget to press OK when your finished
    Save it, and your ready.

After a couple of times, you will be doing it within half a minute I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorenerg
    Yeah, or use paint..
  2.  permalink
    Yeah, I just use Paint. Open the image, press ctrl+a to select the whole thing, slide it up to get rid of the top black bar, then slide the bottom edge of the picture up to get rid of the now-present white bar and the black bar above it.
    • CommentAuthordekolta
    I don't like paint at all, and I think this way is even faster as you don't have to select anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorenerg
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2010 edited
    Real hombres use adobe..
  3.  permalink
    Real hombres use a fucking machete to cut off the black bars.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2010
    Real hombres have a life, and don't waste it guessing movie-snapshots on the internet ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    now I'm hurt Asmodai :-(
    • CommentAuthorhanske84
    LOL @Asmodai :P
    are you also talking about yourself by the way? ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    I just removed a black bar deletion vote on http://whatthemovie.com/shot/74502
    :)
    • CommentAuthorhanske84
    @efji

did that had a deletion vote?!?!?!?!?!

it's good you removed it, cause that's just insane! :P